Playoffs Chiefs vs Texans. What say you?

Last game Texans dominated on the ground. KC offense 2 possessions in the second half. Seemed to be playing the downfield vertical offense game plan. Did Reid dial the offense down during the rest of the season to prepare KC to play some small ball...ball control in the playoffs? Mahomes seems to have adjusted to take the underneath plays vs the lower percentage deep stuff?

I don't take much from the last game.  Mahomes was not himself with the ankle injury.  Lots of other injuries and we were not playing that well at the time.  The defense hadn't quite figured it out yet. We are a better team and are playing well to end the season.  We had a bye week.  I think win this one fairly easily.

16 minutes ago, FANATIC said:

Last game Texans dominated on the ground. KC offense 2 possessions in the second half. Seemed to be playing the downfield vertical offense game plan. Did Reid dial the offense down during the rest of the season to prepare KC to play some small ball...ball control in the playoffs? Mahomes seems to have adjusted to take the underneath plays vs the lower percentage deep stuff?

I’ve read a lot of Andy’s comments the past few weeks about how teams are playing safeties so deep that it makes deep shots very tough.  One play last week the Chargers ditched the deep safety and went to a shallow cover 2 look.  Mahomes read it and got the ball deep to Tyreek. 
I think the maturation of our QB is big here as well. You’ve got to take what they give you and recognize when to take the big shots.  
That said one thing I know. Watson vs Mahomes in divisional playoff game has to draw the ire of Bears fans everywhere. 

4 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

I’ve read a lot of Andy’s comments the past few weeks about how teams are playing safeties so deep that it makes deep shots very tough.  One play last week the Chargers ditched the deep safety and went to a shallow cover 2 look.  Mahomes read it and got the ball deep to Tyreek. 
I think the maturation of our QB is big here as well. You’ve got to take what they give you and recognize when to take the big shots.  
That said one thing I know. Watson vs Mahomes in divisional playoff game has to draw the ire of Bears fans everywhere. 

Watson is a self sacking machine. Pressure, blitz, pressure and more blitz. Make him try to beat KC deep. If KC gives up a long run.....no big deal. Big plays and long runs do not eat the clock. KC can outscore Houston if given enough possessions.

16 minutes ago, DefensiveMan said:

Hill just came back from injury. Chris Jones, Fisher , Watkins, Hitchens were all out the last game. Chiefs were up 17-6 at one point. Chiefs can roll, Fuller will play for Houston. I think Spags comes up with something nice.

Hardman had a good game. Hope he plays more and that Sammy , unworthy ,Watkins .....and , where are you now,  Robinson ....play less.

Watson tore the Chiefs up on the ground, and wasn't sacked in the first game. I think the key is pressuring him of course, but also limiting his running. This is a different Chiefs team, especially on defense. 

This post season is turning out how I dreamt it would be. I actually wanted to play the Texans. 

I refuse to believe a Bill O’Brien coached team can beat an Andy Reid coached and Pat Mahomes qbed team in the playoffs is the bottom line.

furthermore i feel like we have the better o line, receivers, and with damien williams looking good again are equal at rb.

defensively with frank clark and mathieu playing like they have been i like our d better as well. Would have been nice to have thornhill though.

the only way we lose is if our rbs and watkins have fumbling problems or if kelce has one of his classic meltdown games where he can almost single handedly throw the game.

2 hours ago, moons314 said:

The Chiefs are superior to the Texans, and finally healthy.  We should win this game by 10 points unless Andy goes Andy, and watching Buffalo choke yesterday gave me some bad flashbacks of some of our previous playoff games.  

This. I can see us scoring to open the second half, opening up a 17 point lead and then Reid going full turtle and letting them back in. Theres zero evidence that Reid has learned from the mistakes that have kept him from winning  a title his whole career. (i.e. The decision to punt in the GB game, the nonsensical playcall against Tennesse)

He honestly seems to just not be able to help himself. He does it instinctively. Fortunately we have a QB now that MIGHT be good enough to overcome Reids imminent attempts to get in his own way. 

16 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

This. I can see us scoring to open the second half, opening up a 17 point lead and then Reid going full turtle and letting them back in. Theres zero evidence that Reid has learned from the mistakes that have kept him from winning  a title his whole career. (i.e. The decision to punt in the GB game, the nonsensical playcall against Tennesse)

He honestly seems to just not be able to help himself. He does it instinctively. Fortunately we have a QB now that MIGHT be good enough to overcome Reids imminent attempts to get in his own way. 

or a qb that will tell reid to get his head out of his ass. let’s hope

1 minute ago, Adamixoye said:

Holmes4six! makes an interesting point.  At what point does Patrick think about going off-script if the offense is really sputtering due to playcalling?

Never. This is simply another example of fans not understanding play calling and the options and audible ability QBs have within that. Look no further than the pass to Tyreek last week when Mahomes saw the Chargers in a very rare shallow cover two shell and attacked it deep. 

5 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

Never. This is simply another example of fans not understanding play calling and the options and audible ability QBs have within that. Look no further than the pass to Tyreek last week when Mahomes saw the Chargers in a very rare shallow cover two shell and attacked it deep. 

I understand he has some flexibility but not all of those options are always available based on the play call.  You don't think QBs want to go off script sometimes?  Aaron Rodgers fought with McCarthy for years over the offense.  Trent Green threw a pick six against the Eagles in 2005 and went to the sidelines furious because of the lack of ways for him to audible in that offense.  Etc.

Now, as good as he is, Patrick seems like, as a very young player, he would be pretty deferential to Reid.  I was mostly asking a hypothetical question.

I understand some of you guys concerns given Reid's history in the playoffs. I've looked back on it, and the Chiefs haven't fared well against a team in the playoffs, that beat them in the regular season.

They lost to the Steelers and Colts, both  whom beat them in the regular season. Then they lost to NE last year. They always play better the second time around, but crap happens, and they can't pull it off. It's been Sutton's defense, or the offense just couldn't get going. 

Mahomes, and Spags defense is the key. 

3 hours ago, Adamixoye said:

Our A game beats their A game 100%.  Now, how much do I trust us to have our A game?  Not a lot.

I think our B game is better than their A game.  It's playing a C game in the 2nd half that scares me.  That said, if we avoid turnovers, I think we win regardless.  The Chiefs are just the better team.  I don't think I've ever been as confident about any playoff game in my life. 

26 minutes ago, moons314 said:

I think our B game is better than their A game.  It's playing a C game in the 2nd half that scares me.  That said, if we avoid turnovers, I think we win regardless.  The Chiefs are just the better team.  I don't think I've ever been as confident about any playoff game in my life. 

I'm not THAT confident but yes I agree with most of this.

It's crazy reading the Texans forum. They're just like us, most very confident, and a few that are not.  A couple of posters straight up acknowledging how the Chiefs were banged ip, and how the defense is better. Others are saying it doesn't matter because they beat us before , and how cocky the Chiefs fans on Twitter are. 

I don't blame them. I still feel like the Chiefs will win, but having concerns about how will Reid gameplan. 

I don't like listening to the pundits, but when it's all said and done they are either good enough or not.

Ben Nieman and Darron Lee started at LB that game. The fumble at the end of the half did us in. Mahomes was hobbled and limited. Spags and Daley will get after Watson this time. Carlos Hyde will be limited this time, at least keep him under 70 yards and we'll win.

Said this in the other thread

We were far from a complete team. As stated Mahomes had a gimpy ankle. Defense is much better now and all are healthy. Just look who was out for then game before against them. Hill only played the first half too as they were easing him back from his injury and limiting his snaps

Chiefs: Inactive starters included WR Sammy Watkins (hamstring), LT Eric Fisher (groin), LG Andrew Wylie (ankle), DT Chris Jones (groin) and LB Anthony Hitchens (groin). ... CB Kendall Fuller was due to get X-rays on his right hand after leaving the game. He had surgery on the same hand last season.

I'm pretty excited, and my emotions have been everywhere. I can't wait for the game next Sunday. I keep coming back hear, refreshing the pages looking for new perspectives, but only find arguing LOL!  

Hopefully as the week progresses, more Chiefs-Texans conversations pop up. I think when the Chiefs win the conversation will really ramp up.