Playoffs Chiefs vs Texans. What say you?

Chiefs have not been as explosive this year. I'm sure the injuries have played a major part. Defenses seem to be playing their safeties pretty deep ...that contributes. Less over the top plays. Mitch Morse? No one mentions him. How much did his play at center contribute vs what we have in Reiter?

3 hours ago, dhitter said:

Chiefs have not been as explosive this year. I'm sure the injuries have played a major part. Defenses seem to be playing their safeties pretty deep ...that contributes. Less over the top plays. Mitch Morse? No one mentions him. How much did his play at center contribute vs what we have in Reiter?

Great question about Reiter/Morse.

Reiter get's his butt kicked on a regular. Add in LDT's inconsistent play and Wylie getting pushed around 75% of the time, and that might explain the lack of explosive plays.

Add in Safeties playing 15 yds deep, and that "COULD" be the reason.

1 hour ago, artsy said:

Great question about Reiter/Morse.

Reiter get's his butt kicked on a regular. Add in LDT's inconsistent play and Wylie getting pushed around 75% of the time, and that might explain the lack of explosive plays.

Add in Safeties playing 15 yds deep, and that "COULD" be the reason.

Not necessarily aiming this at you, just at the discussion in general, but did we have a lack of explosive plays?  

We led the league this year in passing plays of 40+ yards.  3rd last year.

this year we are also tied for 3rd in runs of 40+ yards with 3.  Lots of teams bunched up at spots 1, 2 and 3 in rushing plays of 40+.

I think maybe the difference people are noticing is we had about 17 fewer plays of 20+ yards.  That makes sense, given how much ball control Andy's been playing.  Personally, I think Andy's been calling it this way on purpose to get Pat and the offense used to grinding it out and helping the defense.

But the explosive plays are still there.

image.png

image.png

5 hours ago, dhitter said:

Kareem Hunt. 

3 hours ago, Calichief said:

Kareem Hunt. 

Not sure even Hunt wouldn't show some major regression behind that Oline. Reiter is not near what Morse was, LDT is a major disappointment after signing him to an extension, Wylie showed some flashes last year but when Wiz is in the left side seems to be better....what does that tell you? Schwartz is still solid but I don't think he is playing as well overall as he did last year. Maybe a little age creeping in. Fisher is decent. Can't offer much more than that. Gets beat every so often but isn't a train wreck at LT.

Kareem Hunt. 

Our deep passes have been taken away more by bow defenses are playing us now than anything.  But the awful line play much of the season was a big contributor too. 
That said we’ve dropped from 2nd to 21st in the red zone largely because we don’t have anyone near the level of Kareem Hunt. RBs still matter.  

Kareem Hunt. 

Our deep passes have been taken away more by bow defenses are playing us now than anything.  But the awful line play much of the season was a big contributor too. 
That said we’ve dropped from 2nd to 21st in the red zone largely because we don’t have anyone near the level of Kareem Hunt. RBs still matter.  

13 minutes ago, dhitter said:

Not sure even Hunt wouldn't show some major regression behind that Oline. Reiter is not near what Morse was, LDT is a major disappointment after signing him to an extension, Wylie showed some flashes last year but when Wiz is in the left side seems to be better....what does that tell you? Schwartz is still solid but I don't think he is playing as well overall as he did last year. Maybe a little age creeping in. Fisher is decent. Can't offer much more than that. Gets beat every so often but isn't a train wreck at LT.

Need that Titans middle of the O-line. Hey DH, what are they saying down there in TN about the Ravens matchup?

1 hour ago, DefensiveMan said:

Need that Titans middle of the O-line. Hey DH, what are they saying down there in TN about the Ravens matchup?

It's going to be strength on strength. 2 of the better run games in football. Two good complimentary passing games (never thought that would be said of Tannehill). Personally I think it's going to be a helluva game.

2 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

Yeah, the Kareem Hunt loss hurt, and it's hard not to stop thinking about what may have been, even though I've mentioned we shouldn't talk about it. ☹️

55 minutes ago, qnet said:

Yeah, the Kareem Hunt loss hurt, and it's hard not to stop thinking about what may have been, even though I've mentioned we shouldn't talk about it. ☹️

And reality is cutting him hasn’t cost us anything yet. He would have been suspended during last years playoffs and basically wouldn’t have been able to contribute this season until we the point we were winning six straight games. It would be nice to have him Sunday!  

10 hours ago, dhitter said:

It's going to be strength on strength. 2 of the better run games in football. Two good complimentary passing games (never thought that would be said of Tannehill). Personally I think it's going to be a helluva game.

2 great rushing teams.  2 thoroughly mediocre passing attacks.  Ravens rush D is crap though so that does not bode well for them.  I like the Titans.

That said, there's something I always wondered...

If the Patriots are the Pats. 

Dolphins = Fins

Packers = Pack

Vikings = Vikes

Jaguars = Jags

Cowboys = Boys

Redskins = Skins

Cardinals = Cards

Buccaneers = Bucs

Then how come the Titans aren't known as the Tennessee Tits? 

11 minutes ago, xen said:

2 great rushing teams.  2 thoroughly mediocre passing attacks.  Ravens rush D is crap though so that does not bode well for them.  I like the Titans.

Dolphins = Fins

Packers = Pack

Vikings = Vikes

Jaguars = Jags

Cowboys = Boys

Redskins = Skins

Cardinals = Cards

Buccaneers = Bucs

they are now lol

15 hours ago, dhitter said:

I was on one of the Titans boards browsing around and a lot of them keep bringing up the 08 playoff game when TN was a top seed. Ravens took out Chris Johnson and they want to do the same to Lamar. Thought that was pretty interesting. 

If Lamar has to consistently pass it and the Ravens get down a few scores they might be in trouble. A lot of ppl tend to forget was Gus Bradley and the Bolts did to them last year. They were booing and calling for Flucco real quick...they'll be extra motivated this time, but it will be in the back of their mind. Ingram is banged up also.

2 hours ago, DefensiveMan said:

If Lamar has to consistently pass it and the Ravens get down a few scores they might be in trouble. A lot of ppl tend to forget was Gus Bradley and the Bolts did to them last year. They were booing and calling for Flucco real quick...they'll be extra motivated this time, but it will be in the back of their mind. Ingram is banged up also.

Excellent point about the Chargers. They played with 7 DBs on the field the whole game, to match Jackson's athleticism. IT WORKED.

7 minutes ago, artsy said:

Excellent point about the Chargers. They played with 7 DBs on the field the whole game, to match Jackson's athleticism. IT WORKED.

Lamar developed his passing significantly between then and now, but they also got Mark Ingram to punish teams for playing small.

11 hours ago, xen said:

Dolphins = Fins

Packers = Pack

Vikings = Vikes

Jaguars = Jags

Cowboys = Boys

Redskins = Skins

Cardinals = Cards

Buccaneers = Bucs

On our tv screen when scrolling through movies, Remember The Titans always shows as “Remember The Tits”.  My wife now solely refers to that movie as such. 

22 hours ago, DefensiveMan said:

I was on one of the Titans boards browsing around and a lot of them keep bringing up the 08 playoff game when TN was a top seed. Ravens took out Chris Johnson and they want to do the same to Lamar. Thought that was pretty interesting. 

Except Johnson was not a QB. Jackson has an extra blocker when he runs. Titans D is not special. They will need to win playing ball control. I think they get crushed.

1 hour ago, FANATIC said:

Except Johnson was not a QB. Jackson has an extra blocker when he runs. Titans D is not special. They will need to win playing ball control. I think they get crushed.

Schwartz agrees with you on ball control for the Titans.   

.@geoffschwartz: "Two ways to beat the #Ravens...The Niners way..limit possessions from the #Ravens and play tough defense...The other way to do it is the #Chiefs way...score a bunch of points...The #Ravens would privately admit to you that they don't like to play from behind."