Keys to Chiefs vs Texans - Divisional Round

Your key matchup for Chiefs Texans - Divisional Round  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Which matchup will the game boil down to?

• Reid vs O'Brien
    • Mahomes vs Watson
    • Chiefs Secondary vs Texans Wideouts
    • Chiefs Run D vs Texans Backs / RPO
    • Chiefs Backs vs Texans Run D
    • Spags vs O'Brien
    • Reid vs Crennel

4 hours ago, reesebobby said:

Our O-Line is not the greatest for sure.  But Damien Williams, who I guess is our feature back, spent 4 years in Miami where he averaged 119 yards per SEASON and 3.6 per carry.  Our other "feature back" is 31 and in serious decline with a fumble to touchdown ratio that makes him hard to trust.  I'd say meh is a fair description of our backs.

Take away his two long runs and he's averging only 2.9 YPC on his other 109 carries. And that's not too far off from what he did in Miami several seasons. 

Just re-watched the Chiefs Texans game from week 7... Keys for D 1.Spy Watson ( killed the Chiefs on blitz/ man with his feet and scramble situations 2. RPOs especially in the second half... 3. Stop the gap run plays ( ct/power ) 4. Have to limit their penalties ( holds/PIs )

7 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:
Just re-watched the Chiefs Texans game from week 7... Keys for D 1.Spy Watson ( killed the Chiefs on blitz/ man with his feet and scramble situations 2. RPOs especially in the second half... 3. Stop the gap run plays ( ct/power ) 4. Have to limit their penalties ( holds/PIs )

Spying Watson is risky. Takes a man from the coverage IMO. When we blitz we have to blitz with control. How many times have we seen Sorenson, Thornhill, Mathieu etc., run in there FULL SPEED and freaking miss cause of a quick juke from the qb??

Watson will make you pay if you MISS. And Lamar Jackson will absolutely destroy you.

Watson will throw pics if you blitz him, but you gotta execute when you get there.

On 1/6/2020 at 8:32 PM, Mloe68 said:

Exactly right. Every game presents its own unique challenge and it’s never correct to make generalizations on what those are. For the Texans it’s keeping Watson in the pocket as much as possible. I’d use a James White type defensive philosophy on Duke Johnson. And get Ward help with Watkins. If other people beat you, so be it. Just keep your GAP responsibilities in the run game and finish plays and we will be fine vs Hyde. Last game we didn’t do that.  

if you are playing the Titans it’s a different plan.  Focus 1,2,3 is on slowing down Derrick Henry. 

The gameplan for the Titans, Texans and Ravens should all be the same, be aggressive on offense and score points.  If the offense does it's job and requires the other team to keep pace, then it's harder for teams to run.  I don't think any one of those three teams can beat the Chiefs if the Chiefs put up 35 points, something the offense can easily do.  If we try to play possession football against those teams we are in trouble, and stupidly playing not to our strengths.

40 minutes ago, moons314 said:

The gameplan for the Titans, Texans and Ravens should all be the same, be aggressive on offense and score points.  If the offense does it's job and requires the other team to keep pace, then it's harder for teams to run.  I don't think any one of those three teams can beat the Chiefs if the Chiefs put up 35 points, something the offense can easily do.  If we try to play possession football against those teams we are in trouble, and stupidly playing not to our strengths.

Scoring points for us has less to with being aggressive on offense than it does being better in the red zone.  We’ve dropped from 2nd to 21st there and as such are scoring significantly less. (Only two 35 point games all season).  But Andy’s done a great job of adapting overall to the reality teams are taking away the deep ball and leaving us a lot of space underneath.  Possession football has won us 6 straight games.  Take what the defense gives. And finish in the red zone. We will win. As in the Chargers game though if we get the right defensive look, Mahomes will attack  

Just don’t go conservative with a lead. We can both agree on that. IE don’t change a game plan that’s working because we go up by 10.   That said on defense you’ve gotta adjust to strengths of your opponent. We benched our best run stuffer because we thought our offense could get them to go away from the run.  It didn’t.  

13 hours ago, moons314 said:

Not sure Offense can easily put up 35? How many times this season? Plus this is playoff football so these teams are very good. I do agree with score and feel a little ball, control is ok. Pat can take the check downs vs threading the needle on deep plays. I also think Williams will have a really good game like he did in the playoffs last year.

21 hours ago, artsy said:

Spying Watson is risky. Takes a man from the coverage IMO. When we blitz we have to blitz with control. How many times have we seen Sorenson, Thornhill, Mathieu etc., run in there FULL SPEED and freaking miss cause of a quick juke from the qb??

Watson will make you pay if you MISS. And Lamar Jackson will absolutely destroy you.

Watson will throw pics if you blitz him, but you gotta execute when you get there.

So rush three and use the fourth down lineman to spy.  That's what the Bills did until the fourth quarter when they sent four and the change killed them.  

40 minutes ago, jetlord said:

So rush three and use the fourth down lineman to spy.  That's what the Bills did until the fourth quarter when they sent four and the change killed them.  

What killed them was the missed sack when the two rushers allowed Watson to get out of the sack sandwich. They bring him down there the game is over.

31 minutes ago, Chiefsfan1963 said:

What killed them was the missed sack when the two rushers allowed Watson to get out of the sack sandwich. They bring him down there the game is over.

How would  the game have been over when the game was tied and it was second down?

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

Yes. Containment is essential and then make sure when you bring the extra guy he’s gotta find a WR and not open space to run. I’ll take my chances there. He also tends to hold onto the ball too long looking to make a play and hence was sacked a league high 52 times. 

34 minutes ago, Chiefsfan1963 said:

Dropping a pick six to go up 17-0 hurt 

Just now, artsy said:

Bringing pressure in Watson's face. Straight up the middle. He does hold the ball longer than normal, and the sacks should be there.

This but have the DEs maintain the edges and keep him bottled up. Maintain discipline and we can really get after him. Crash to the inside and he will make you pay running it out.

3 hours ago, Chiefsfan1963 said:

So my point is that rushing three and using one to spy on Watson would have worked in the fourth quarter.  Sure, they're going to let him escape occasionally, but why did they go away from what was working and start rushing four.  Suggs and Clark are going to have to be disciplined enough to keep Watson in the backfield.  The Chiefs D-line can do this. 

2 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

How would  the game have been over when the game was tied and it was second down?

It gave them life. When you know you're at third and long on your side of the field and your QB just got crushed because you can't stop the rush it will demoralize a team.

I can guarantee that I've read a ton comments where people said the Chiefs lost at this point, when this fumble or that pick or that sack happened. On the flip side, when Mahomes made that pass, or Hill made that catch etc.

Just because it wasn't the final play or the sack that put them out of FG range doesn't mean it doesn't define the outcome of the game. Think a little deeper than stats and analytics and you will see the real game. One play can and does define many games.

5 hours ago, Chiefsfan1963 said:

It gave them life. When you know you're at third and long on your side of the field and your QB just got crushed because you can't stop the rush it will demoralize a team.

I can guarantee that I've read a ton comments where people said the Chiefs lost at this point, when this fumble or that pick or that sack happened. On the flip side, when Mahomes made that pass, or Hill made that catch etc.

Just because it wasn't the final play or the sack that put them out of FG range doesn't mean it doesn't define the outcome of the game. Think a little deeper than stats and analytics and you will see the real game. One play can and does define many games.

Agreed. 

6 hours ago, Chiefsfan1963 said:

True, but I'm sure as Mloe will point out, the Bills were up 17-0 so it couldn't have factored in, unless of course he just enjoys trolling my post.

Bills weren’t up 17-0.  😂 Keeping it a two possession game was big for Houston.  

11 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

Bills weren’t up 17-0.  😂 Keeping it a two possession game was big for Houston.  

Yea, I can see us going up on them by 13, and Reid taking his foot off the gas....Like he usually does.

Giving Watson, Hopkins, Fuller and Hyde a chance to comeback in the 4th qtr. Reid has to understand that Watson is a dynamic player..sort of the like the guy on his team. He's never out of the game until it's OVER!!!

Reid: Keep your damn foot on the gas on both sides of the ball until the final whistle blows!!!

20 hours ago, Chiefsfan1963 said:

Makes no sense to me to think that game was over in a tied game where Houston had third down near midfield. That’s the point.
Not only did Watson have another shot on third down but they almost certainly would’ve pinned Buffalo deep since they were near midfield. And Josh Allen was playing like garbage.  Heck better chance he throws a pick 6 in that spot. 

Been a lot of debate regarding the importance of the run defense. To me the Chiefs have several ways to beat Houston. Houston has one way to beat KC....the same way they did in week 6. They had the ball 39+minutes. If that happens again you can forget it. So look to see the Texans try to establish long, sustained drives early with Hyde and Johnson including swing passes coming out of the backfield. They need to win on 1st down and Chiefs need to put them in 2nd/3rd and long. Cannot let them gouge us for 6-7 yards on 1st down. There is a dual problem with giving up long , sustained drives that end in scores. It obviously tires the defense but also breaks down confidence. Then a team starts to impose its will no matter what. KC cannot let that happen.