Semo's Mock Offseason

SEMO

5 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Why? I mean he's below average without question. And theres an opportunity for significant cap savings.

Why would they not look to upgrade there? They enjoy keeping Mahomes on his toes? They think an 8.9 million dollar cap number is palatable for a poor OG?

Naive of you to think he isnt a prime candidate for release on a team that needs all the cap room they can get. They have Rankins and Wylie on rookie contracts and just made a SB run with a guy picked up midseason for the vet minimum playing at the other guard spot. 

I'd say after Watkins he is one of the 3 most likely players on the team to be released. 

The problem is that Wylie didn't look good this season.  The Chiefs need to find both a center and a guard this off season and preferably one on the second day of the draft.

15 minutes ago, jetlord said:

The problem is that Wylie didn't look good this season.  The Chiefs need to find both a center and a guard this off season and preferably one on the second day of the draft.

Agreed. Rankins has upside and can play one spot. But a guy underperforming who is not far outside the top 15 in pay at his position is bad business. I think the sample size is more than a sample at this point. LDT isnt very good 

There's several ways the Chiefs can go if the release LDT.  They can try to resign Wiz, depend more on Wylie and/or Allegretti, draft a C/OG in the second or third rounds, or pick up FAs.  If they could find an instant starter on the second day of the draft, especially at OC, things could fall into place without breaking the bank.  They need to start looking for an OT but this might not be the year. 

5 hours ago, jetlord said:

There's several ways the Chiefs can go if the release LDT.  They can try to resign Wiz, depend more on Wylie and/or Allegretti, draft a C/OG in the second or third rounds, or pick up FAs.  If they could find an instant starter on the second day of the draft, especially at OC, things could fall into place without breaking the bank.  They need to start looking for an OT but this might not be the year. 

They need to look for an OT that can play OG this season, then kick outside next year when they can save 11 mill by releasing Fisher.

14 hours ago, jetlord said:

Actually the OT class is shaping up.  OTs probably the 2nd best position group after WR this year.  Oline group as a whole looks pretty good but OT is leading the charge.  Lot of em so it's going to push guys down that can play.

13 hours ago, jetlord said:

It would be useful if the Chiefs found a future starting OT that can play OG until needed on the outside.  Any names pop up in that category?

Calvin Throckmorton six starts at right tackle, five at left tackle, one at center, and one at right guard. Junior year for Oregon.

Hakeem Adeniji, G/OT Kansas

Cameron Clark, G/OT, Charlotte 

Took some LT/G combos from 

https://walterfootball.com/draft2020OG.php

I think we look dor thar guy that can play G/C combo. Getting a guy that is a stud next to Fisher would do wonders for him. Fisher, though he goes up in price, is still signed for a couple more years. 

• 3 weeks later...

Post Combine Update:

2020 NFL Draft

1 – Trevon Diggs CB Alabama

2 – Malik Harrison LB Ohio St

3 – Van Jefferson WR Florida

4 – Ben Bredeson OG Michigan

5 – Jabari Zuniga EDGE Florida

6 – Traded to Jets for Darron Lee

7 – Traded to Dolphins for Jordan Lucas

Cuts:

Sammy Watkins

Cam Erving

Austin Reiter

LDT

Restructure:

Eric Fisher  3.965MM cap savings

Extend:

Pat Mahomes  5yr/200MM  150MM guaranteed

Dan Sorenson  2yr/6MM

Re-sign:

Kendall Fuller 3yr/26MM

Anthony Sherman 1yr/1.1MM

Matt Moore 2yr/5MM

Emmanuel Ogbah  2yr/6.5MM

Mike Pennel  2yr/5.5MM

Marcus Kemp  ERFA tender

Deon Yelder  ERFA tender

Andrew Wylie  ERFA tender

Tag:

Chris Jones

Sign:

C/G Connor McGovern 3yr/13.5MM

Roster:

QB – Mahomes, Moore, Shurmur

RB – Williams, Williams, Thompson, McGuire

FB – Sherman, Lovett

WR – Hill, Hardman, Pringle, Jefferson, Kemp

TE – Kelce, Yelder, Fortson

OT – Fisher, Schwartz, Senat, Barton

OG –Rankin, Bredeson, Wylie

C – McGovern, Allegretti

DE – Clark, Okafor, Kpass, Ogbah, Zuniga

DT – Jones, Nnadi, Speaks, Saunders, Pennel

LB – Hitchens, Wilson, Harrison, Niemann, DOD

CB – Ward, Diggs, Fuller, Fenton, Brown

S – Matthieu, Thornhill, Sorenson, Watts

K – Butker

P – Colquitt

LS – Winchester

Van Jefferson in the 3rd for us may be iffy.  Amazeballs route runner but he's probably a slot only guy for us.  If he can't play outside for us I don't think we'll draft him.  Tyreek and Kelce already take up a ton of slot snaps, then add in Mecole and I'm not sure of the role. 

That said, love this kid as a WR.  He is as advanced a route runner as I've seen coming out of college.  The downside is not great production and he may get worked over by physical corners.

https://sports.yahoo.com/2020-nfl-mock-draft-post-194458779.html

27. Seahawks - Austin Jackson, OT

Did Jackson have first round tape last season? No. Was he completely healthy after donating bone marrow to his sister before the season? Also, no. He needs development, but he will still be a 20-year-old on draft night and has 89th percentile Adjusted SPARQ athleticism to work with. The reward begins to outweigh the risk around the Day 1/2 borderline.

28. Ravens - Denzel Mims, WR

The Baylor receiver carried his positive buzz from the Senior Bowl into Indy, and now finds himself in the top-40 conversation. Baltimore has their deep threat in Marquise Brown but needs at least one more pass catcher. Mims was one of the most accomplished contested catch receivers in all of college football last season. You can see my early statistical eval on Mims here, but just know his projection has since been bumped up.

29. Titans - Joshua Jones, OT

If Tennessee loses Jack Conklin this offseason, they’ll be hoping one of these Tier 2 offensive tackle prospects falls. In this case, one does in Jones, who showed 60th percentile Adjusted SPARQ athleticism at the Combine. 

30. Packers - Brandon Aiyuk, WR

We riot if Green Bay doesn’t add one or two pass-catchers this offseason. Davante Adams and a bunch of replaceable guys aren't cutting it, but Aiyuk does. He offers YAC ability with 76th percentile Adjusted SPARQ athleticism and would compliment Adams as the potential No. 2 target as a rookie. You can read my early scouting report and statistical eval on Aiyuk here.

31. Dolphins (moved up to SF) - Trevon Diggs, CB

The 49ers’ next pick after this 31st overall selection doesn’t come until we’re all dead from the coronavirus, so it’s likely that San Francisco moves down. A team with a bunch of Day 2 capital? The Dolphins, who address another defensive need here with an athletic but risky cornerback prospect.

32. Chiefs - Kristian Fulton, CB

Kansas City rightfully doesn’t take a running back here, as they don’t matter, and instead grabs a corner that will help make a comeback against this offense even less likely. Fulton needs to clean up his game but has 70th percentile Adjusted SPARQ athleticism and upside.

I would be thrilled with Fulton.  He's a top 5 corner for me.  May take him a bit to get comfortable with all the zone we play but he'll excel right away with press.  I don't think there's any way he drops that far though.

14 hours ago, xen said:

I would be thrilled with Fulton.  He's a top 5 corner for me.  May take him a bit to get comfortable with all the zone we play but he'll excel right away with press.  I don't think there's any way he drops that far though.

I dont either. But it's such a good year for CB though, that we may just end up getting one that would go 5 -7 spots higher in any other draft. And we have to consider the possibility that some team(s) gets desperate for their QBOTF and trade back into rd 1 to secure the 5th year option on a guy who doesnt belong there like Hurts, Eason, Fromm, etc. 

I think we are gonna be able to move out of 32 and get an extra pick in the first 4 rds for that reason, and still land a first rd caliber corner.

2 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

I dont either. But it's such a good year for CB though, that we may just end up getting one that would go 5 -7 spots higher in any other draft. And we have to consider the possibility that some team(s) gets desperate for their QBOTF and trade back into rd 1 to secure the 5th year option on a guy who doesnt belong there like Hurts, Eason, Fromm, etc. 

I think we are gonna be able to move out of 32 and get an extra pick in the first 4 rds for that reason, and still land a first rd caliber corner.

That would be interesting.  Especially if it's early 2nd round.  

The one guy I would hesitate on is Jonathon Taylor.  The RB from Wisconsin.  I think his skill set makes our offense beyond dynamic, like hunt did.  

3 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

yeah i would agree.  some good corners and wr's are gonna drop in this draft for sure just based on the volume available.  not sure how far i would be willing to trade back, but definitely wouldn't have a problem with up to 10 spots, depending on who is still on the board at the end of the first.

i do believe someone is gonna trade up to late first for a QB, probably Eason.  

4 hours ago, xen said:

yeah i would agree.  some good corners and wr's are gonna drop in this draft for sure just based on the volume available.  not sure how far i would be willing to trade back, but definitely wouldn't have a problem with up to 10 spots, depending on who is still on the board at the end of the first.

i do believe someone is gonna trade up to late first for a QB, probably Eason.  

My plan, which isn't really finalized yet, includes trading with CAR by giving them #32 in exchange for #38 and #110 (early fourth)  If by some chance, Love dropped to #32, it would be a no brainer for the Panthers and they might throw in another late pick as well.  Would the do the deal for Eason?  Don't know.  The Chiefs would still get their starting CB and there will be some WRs at #110 that aren't blazers, but a big possession types.  The regular, #63 pick could be used for OL.  Along with that, I can see the Chiefs trading Jones to SEA for their #27 and a next year pick or this year's #130.  Thus the Chiefs can get a top cover LB in the first round.  Depending on who's draft board one uses, Queen might be there (not likely), Murray probably would be there, and Baun would surely be there.  (Maybe a higher rated CB could be picked in the first and Baun at # 38)  Any would be useful this season and more useful when Hitchings is gone next season   Bottom line is the Chiefs get eight picks in the first five rounds including starters at LB, CB, and IOL. 

40 minutes ago, jetlord said:

My plan, which isn't really finalized yet, includes trading with CAR by giving them #32 in exchange for #38 and #110 (early fourth)  If by some chance, Love dropped to #32, it would be a no brainer for the Panthers and they might throw in another late pick as well.  Would the do the deal for Eason?  Don't know.  The Chiefs would still get their starting CB and there will be some WRs at #110 that aren't blazers, but a big possession types.  The regular, #63 pick could be used for OL.  Along with that, I can see the Chiefs trading Jones to SEA for their #27 and a next year pick or this year's #130.  Thus the Chiefs can get a top cover LB in the first round.  Depending on who's draft board one uses, Queen might be there (not likely), Murray probably would be there, and Baun would surely be there.  (Maybe a higher rated CB could be picked in the first and Baun at # 38)  Any would be useful this season and more useful when Hitchings is gone next season   Bottom line is the Chiefs get eight picks in the first five rounds including starters at LB, CB, and IOL. 

Somebody is going to talk themselves into Love being the next Mahomes, even though he's not. But that 2018 tape will be enticing.  I think he goes top 15 with a ceiling of top 5.  Would be great if he would drop to the end of the 1st cause I guarantee someone would trade up for him at that price.  Probably not in the cards though.

I really like Baun at SLB in our defense.  That would be a nice pick.  Not sure he'd be there at 38 but a corner would.

1 hour ago, xen said:

Somebody is going to talk themselves into Love being the next Mahomes, even though he's not. But that 2018 tape will be enticing.  I think he goes top 15 with a ceiling of top 5.  Would be great if he would drop to the end of the 1st cause I guarantee someone would trade up for him at that price.  Probably not in the cards though.

I really like Baun at SLB in our defense.  That would be a nice pick.  Not sure he'd be there at 38 but a corner would.

My plan envisioned a LB at 27 and a CB at 38 without reaching and getting close to the BPAs.  Murray and 27 and Terrell at 38 would be a dream draft in my book.  Baun is a fall back choice.  All these ideas are pointless but fun.  After FA, we'll have a clearer picture, but Veach seems to surprise every year. 

Update w/ trade:

2020 NFL Draft

2 (from AZ) Lloyd Cushenberry OG LSU

2 – Marlon Davidson DT Auburn

3 (from AZ) Logan Wilson LB Wyoming

3 – Anthony McFarland RB Maryland

4 – Michael Pittman Jr  WR USC

Cuts:

Sammy Watkins

Cam Erving

Austin Reiter

LDT

Restructure:

Extend:

Dan Sorenson  2yr/6MM

Re-sign:

Kendall Fuller 3yr/26MM

Matt Moore 2yr/5MM

Mike Pennel  2yr/5.5MM

Marcus Kemp  ERFA tender

Deon Yelder  ERFA tender

Tag/trade:

Chris Jones to AZ for 2020 40 & 72, 2021 2nd round pick

A 1st would be ideal for Jones, which is the deal I suggested in an earlier mock.  But a high 2 and 3 this year, in such a deep draft will be worth it.  Plus, AZ wants a top flight WR for Murray, and will not want to give up 9 and miss out.  They include a probably high 2 next year and Veach should make the deal.

Sign:

Roster:

RB – Williams, Williams, Thompson, McFarland

FB – Sherman, Lovett

WR – Hill, Hardman, Pringle, Pittman, Kemp

OG –McGovern, Rankin, , Wylie

C –Cushenberry,  Allegretti

DT – Nnadi, Speaks, Davidson, Saunders, Pennel

LB – Hitchens, Wilson, Wilson, Niemann, DOD

K – Butker

P – Colquitt

LS – Winchester

2 hours ago, SEMO said:

Update w/ trade:

2020 NFL Draft

Cuts:

Sammy Watkins

Cam Erving

Austin Reiter

LDT

Restructure:

Extend:

Dan Sorenson  2yr/6MM

Re-sign:

Kendall Fuller 3yr/26MM

Matt Moore 2yr/5MM

Mike Pennel  2yr/5.5MM

Marcus Kemp  ERFA tender

Deon Yelder  ERFA tender

Tag/trade:

A 1st would be ideal for Jones, which is the deal I suggested in an earlier mock.  But a high 2 and 3 this year, in such a deep draft will be worth it.  Plus, AZ wants a top flight WR for Murray, and will not want to give up 9 and miss out.  They include a probably high 2 next year and Veach should make the deal.

Sign:

Roster:

FB – Sherman, Lovett

OG –Rankin, Cushenberry, Wylie

C – McGovern, Allegretti

K – Butker

P – Colquitt

LS – Winchester

How do you rate Cushenberry vs Ruiz and why wouldn't you put Cushenberry at C?  What range do you have those 2 in?  I have Ruiz over Cushenberry for our offense but just based an his ability to pull.  Cushenberry is no slouch there either.

Like the Marlon Davidson pick and I think he'll develop nicely as a 3 tech.  

Where do you see Logan Wilson playing?  Will, maybe?  

McFarland and Pittman are nice value there at the end of rounds 3 and 4.  Ok with Zuniga but man he needs a lot of work.  Getting him in the 5th is fine though.

Overall nice job.

Cushenberry may be the best pure OC and Ruiz might have better versatility at switching between OC and/or OG.  Just have to wonder what future the coaches think Allegretti has and at what position.  Barring a FA pickup, I think Rankin will be the swing tackle but could play guard until Fisher or Schwartz goes out. 

7 hours ago, xen said:

How do you rate Cushenberry vs Ruiz and why wouldn't you put Cushenberry at C?  What range do you have those 2 in?  I have Ruiz over Cushenberry for our offense but just based an his ability to pull.  Cushenberry is no slouch there either.

Like the Marlon Davidson pick and I think he'll develop nicely as a 3 tech.  

Where do you see Logan Wilson playing?  Will, maybe?  

McFarland and Pittman are nice value there at the end of rounds 3 and 4.  Ok with Zuniga but man he needs a lot of work.  Getting him in the 5th is fine though.

Overall nice job.

Shit.  Yeah, I meant to switch Cush and McGovern on the roster.  McGovern is a better guard, but could play center if Cush goes down.

Ruiz is showing as a late 1, according to a lot of the ‘experts.’  Not sure if he will be there if we trade down.  Cush is rising also, so he might not be there either.

I really like Davidson.  Get him out of Brown’s shadow and shine a little and he could be a good rotational tackle.  I see Wilson as a Mike.  Just have to see how he handles the uptick in competition.

I wish they could get a pick for Sammy.  Teams will probably just wait for us to cut him.

5 hours ago, jetlord said:

Cushenberry may be the best pure OC and Ruiz might have better versatility at switching between OC and/or OG.  Just have to wonder what future the coaches think Allegretti has and at what position.  Barring a FA pickup, I think Rankin will be the swing tackle but could play guard until Fisher or Schwartz goes out. 

I think Rankin is a guard.  He may be fine as a swing tackle but extensive playtime on the outside will expose him.  I do think he has a future at guard though.

13 hours ago, SEMO said:

Update w/ trade:

2020 NFL Draft

Cuts:

Sammy Watkins

Cam Erving

Austin Reiter

LDT

Restructure:

Extend:

Dan Sorenson  2yr/6MM

Re-sign:

Kendall Fuller 3yr/26MM

Matt Moore 2yr/5MM

Mike Pennel  2yr/5.5MM

Marcus Kemp  ERFA tender

Deon Yelder  ERFA tender

Tag/trade:

Sign:

Roster:

FB – Sherman, Lovett

OG –Rankin, Cushenberry, Wylie

C – McGovern, Allegretti

K – Butker

P – Colquitt

LS – Winchester

I like the idea of trading Jones to Arizona and still having him in the starting lineup for us  like this. That would be a real fleecing. I love Veach now, but if he pulled that off...whew!

44 minutes ago, xen said:

I think Rankin is a guard.  He may be fine as a swing tackle but extensive playtime on the outside will expose him.  I do think he has a future at guard though.

I mentioned Rankin as the swing tackle only because the Chiefs have no one else for now.