Biggest surprise / disappointment

surprise = our corners as a group.  really thought they'd be crap.

disappointment = LDT (i hope he is hurt or something).  I kinda expected our RB's to be just ok.  i thought they'd give Darwin a legitimate shot this year but i guess he's not ready, which make sense considering his background and only playing 1 year at a semi-high level in college (i probably should have considered that more, but whatever fuck all ya'll).

Surprise - corner group especially Ward. He's turned into a legit high level corner. We only gave up two 300 yard passing games all season. Second choice Tanoh...I'd completely written him off and thought he would get cut before the season. But the Dline group was hit hard with injuries and didn't lose a beat thanks to his play along with Nnadi and Saunders stepping up.

Dissapointment - LTD is any easy choice. 8.9 million dollar CAP hit and he was our lowest graded offensive lineman.  Second choice is Daron Lee who came in with a very high PFF coverage grade last year and couldn't cover or tackle anyone. Benched after week 6. 

MVP - Mahomes with Honey Badger right behind him

Rookie - Thornhill who was really good really quickly and helped transform the worst safety group in the NFL into one of the best almost overnight. Big blow for the playoffs with his versatility and speed lost.

Surprise: DB group, thought they would be our weakest link by far to start off. Spags would be my next one, really thought he was going to be a blah good ol boy hire. Really transformed this D though, mad props. 

Disappointment: Watkins, after how he played in AFC Championship and starting off the season, I thought just maybe this was the year he put it together. Nope, same ol same ol. Our LB would be 2nd...all are mostly replaceable. 

Surprise

Charvie Ward.

Disappointment.

Patrick Mahomes.  Don't get a bunch of sand in your vaginas.  Still great, and injuries played a part, but I expected him to be other worldly again.  His accuracy seemed a little off to me and he seemed to make some bad decisions that he got away with. 

Surprise:
Ward. He really turned it on this year. If there is one player that was not a high FA acquisition and someone thrown into the fire, he is it.

On offense I would say Mahomes. His numbers are not like they were last year but he has done better with what has been given to him. Dealing with injuries and still out there playing at a level others would love to have from their QB. He will only learn more from this. Now imagine his dissection of defenses to come with learning both the short and long games of it all.

Disappointment: Has yet to be decided. If Reid pulls his usual shit and cost us a game by turtling up or doing something so asinine and costing us a chance at a SB then it will be him. I am sick of losing blown leads of 28 points or a QB getting a touchdown to himself etc. He has his offense and a much better defense. HE needs to get out of his own way and win. I will get shit for this but I said before he has this year and next, possibly 2 more if he does something in the playoffs. If he does nothing at all, it may be time for a change of some sort. He gives up play calling or gets a guy to do nothing but whisper in his ear to run or to do correct time management etc. Something has to give but I have seen other teams fire a successful coach and go the next step with a new one before. Hell even his own assistants have won it before Reid did when they took over as coaches. I know, he gets us there, wins games etc. Are we going to sit there and be successful like we were Marty and get nothing to show for it? I hope not.

16 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Surprise:
Ward. He really turned it on this year. If there is one player that was not a high FA acquisition and someone thrown into the fire, he is it.

On offense I would say Mahomes. His numbers are not like they were last year but he has done better with what has been given to him. Dealing with injuries and still out there playing at a level others would love to have from their QB. He will only learn more from this. Now imagine his dissection of defenses to come with learning both the short and long games of it all.

Disappointment: Has yet to be decided. If Reid pulls his usual shit and cost us a game by turtling up or doing something so asinine and costing us a chance at a SB then it will be him. I am sick of losing blown leads of 28 points or a QB getting a touchdown to himself etc. He has his offense and a much better defense. HE needs to get out of his own way and win. I will get shit for this but I said before he has this year and next, possibly 2 more if he does something in the playoffs. If he does nothing at all, it may be time for a change of some sort. He gives up play calling or gets a guy to do nothing but whisper in his ear to run or to do correct time management etc. Something has to give but I have seen other teams fire a successful coach and go the next step with a new one before. Hell even his own assistants have won it before Reid did when they took over as coaches. I know, he gets us there, wins games etc. Are we going to sit there and be successful like we were Marty and get nothing to show for it? I hope not.

You aren’t alone. I’ve been highly critical.

1 hour ago, kkuenn said:

Surprise:

I agree. It’s just crazy with Mahomes, Kelce, Hill, Hardman and Watkins to get pass happy. 

We need use Williams, McCoy and our weak interior line and just pound the ball. We would be unstoppable.

Sure wish we had a fan calling the plays instead of one of the greatest offensive minds in league history.

28 minutes ago, DieHard said:

I agree. It’s just crazy with Mahomes, Kelce, Hill, Hardman and Watkins to get pass happy. 

We need use Williams, McCoy and our weak interior line and just pound the ball. We would be unstoppable.

Sure wish we had a fan calling the plays instead of one of the greatest offensive minds in league history.

His play calling is fine when we are even up. It is when he gets ahead and then does some dumb shit like not running the ball or running time on the clock etc. The short game this year it has been better, but again we see how he can let up too with a lead. I am not questioning his offensive mind, rather doing the same shit and never winning the big games. We have blown 18 and 28 point leads in the playoffs. Fell behind badly in the AFC Championship game the first half when nothing worked or adjusted as such etc. Do you think another coach could not come in and coach this offense? I do, and I would want it if it meant we get to and win a SB. I keep thinking what the Broncos did in firing Fox and then winning it all. I do not think we would do the coaching carousel as they did nor would we age so quickly because of the team we have now and a young QB etc.  Twist what you want and call me an arm chair coach, whatever you want. I expect it but if Reid just keeps failing to take us to the promise land, when is enough, enough? I am afraid they wait until it is falling apart or wasted years of Mahomes and then we are left with one of the winningest teams of the decade but no SB ring to show for it.

Mahomes does not need to be pass happy to win our games. He has done so without being one and in games this year where he may only get 200 yards and a td. Reid uses screens and such as running plays pretty much any ways. We do not need to run just to run but we do need to avoid a roll out with only 1 target in mind like we have seen. We could very well run and then see where we are for a possible 4th down try etc. Your sarcasm is noted though.

2 hours ago, kkuenn said:

Andy's had exactly one playoff game his entire tenure in KC where he had the clearly better QB and won. He had us in the Super Bowl last year only Dee Ford blew it with a mental error. I'm 100 percent with you that I will reevaluate after his contract is up in 2021. But overall he's been the best coach the franchise has had in my lifetime. And finally has an elite QB. Let it play out through 2021 and we will hoist at least one Lombardi. And I don't buy that he's "turtled up" in the playoffs either. That was Alex Smith. 

21 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

His play calling is fine when we are even up. It is when he gets ahead and then does some dumb shit like not running the ball or running time on the clock etc. The short game this year it has been better, but again we see how he can let up too with a lead. I am not questioning his offensive mind, rather doing the same shit and never winning the big games. We have blown 18 and 28 point leads in the playoffs. Fell behind badly in the AFC Championship game the first half when nothing worked or adjusted as such etc. Do you think another coach could not come in and coach this offense? I do, and I would want it if it meant we get to and win a SB. I keep thinking what the Broncos did in firing Fox and then winning it all. I do not think we would do the coaching carousel as they did nor would we age so quickly because of the team we have now and a young QB etc.  Twist what you want and call me an arm chair coach, whatever you want. I expect it but if Reid just keeps failing to take us to the promise land, when is enough, enough? I am afraid they wait until it is falling apart or wasted years of Mahomes and then we are left with one of the winningest teams of the decade but no SB ring to show for it.

Mahomes does not need to be pass happy to win our games. He has done so without being one and in games this year where he may only get 200 yards and a td. Reid uses screens and such as running plays pretty much any ways. We do not need to run just to run but we do need to avoid a roll out with only 1 target in mind like we have seen. We could very well run and then see where we are for a possible 4th down try etc. Your sarcasm is noted though.

I agree with you also Kkuenn. You know we have some serious Kool aid drinkers here, but you are right about Reid. He is and has always been his worst damn enemy/opponent.

I think Mahomes is a true competitor, and I do believe we will win a SB while he is our QB, but as I said, it will be in spite of Reid. I hope Reid proves us all wrong this year.

6 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

Andy's had exactly one playoff game his entire tenure in KC where he had the clearly better QB and won. He had us in the Super Bowl last year only Dee Ford blew it with a mental error. I'm 100 percent with you that I will reevaluate after his contract is up in 2021. But overall he's been the best coach the franchise has had in my lifetime. And finally has an elite QB. Let it play out through 2021 and we will hoist at least one Lombardi. And I don't buy that he's "turtled up" in the playoffs either. That was Alex Smith. 

2021 is pretty much my time line I stated. This year and next, then see about 2021 depending on how he does etc. He had the better QB in the AFC Championship game too. Brady was lucky the off sides happened because it was yet another INT. The first half and non adjustments killed us that half. I hope I am wrong, I hope he finally breaks his non SB winning ways and gets it. I really do as I agree he is the best we have ever had, but yet we are still in futility with his faults too in trying to win the SB. I am 47, I would like to see us win one. I also think after 2021 if we continue to flounder we need to really do what is best before the age and such catches up to this team. He cant have any more excuses by then if we continue our ways of not winning when it counts the most in the playoffs. We need to get the SB and then really turn it on for the next decade or so. Reid really needs it for himself too. All those accomplishments but this is the one thing dogging him and I bet you he will say as much when he is done.

1 minute ago, kkuenn said:

2021 is pretty much my time line I stated. This year and next, then see about 2021 depending on how he does etc. He had the better QB in the AFC Championship game too. Brady was lucky the off sides happened because it was yet another INT. The first half and non adjustments killed us that half.

So by that measure wouldn't you admit that his halftime adjustments were outstanding and put us right back in a game where the Patriots never lose. We scored 31 second half points against BB. He put us in great position to win with perhaps the best second half of offensive football in franchise history considering the situation and how badly our defense played. And then Dee Ford puked it away. This is a coach we would want to consider moving on from? That seems absolutely crazy to me. But again 3 more postseasons with Mahomes and I will sing a different tune without success.

1 minute ago, Mloe68 said:

So by that measure wouldn't you admit that his halftime adjustments were outstanding and put us right back in a game where the Patriots never lose. We scored 31 second half points against BB. He put us in great position to win with perhaps the best second half of offensive football in franchise history considering the situation and how badly our defense played. And then Dee Ford puked it away. This is a coach we would want to consider moving on from? That seems absolutely crazy to me. But again 3 more postseasons with Mahomes and I will sing a different tune without success.

Yes that was a great 2nd half to go with such a horrid first half. Part of that is seeing a complete game, from all aspects really. If he had adjusted to what they were doing, even a FG more etc in the first half, and it would have been a far different story. He just seemed over matched. Defense too for that matter but thing is we always have this it seems other than the Indy game before where we won to get there. He has 2 wins with all the times we have gone and 5 losses. Superior QB or not, we had some bad losses. Smith was better than Mariotta and we blew a lead. Smith versus Luck, yes Luck is better but this day we blew a 28 point lead. We have one good win against Luck with Mahomes last year and an easily over matched Houston team before. All the season of winning 4 straight conferences, killing our division games, having great years with W/L and even the year not in it still 9-7. All of them plus 4 home games from winning our conference has equaled 1 win at home and 1 win on the road. This is why I think this year and next is to be seen in the playoffs. If we win and get to the SB and wins it, he will be here for a long time. If he continues to flounder home field or horrible playoff losses or inept games like that against Steelers or first half against NE etc, then we really need to look on moving on in 2 or 3 years.

Also, thank you for the civility. I am pretty level headed and dont troll, give my points and back up with facts or links etc as many of you know from Scout board. I appreciate the feedback but trust me I am giving my opinion. I have not seen improvement yet and all I am saying is I dont want to cling to the same old shit until it is to late and we blew a great chance. Reid needs to get it done this year or next. Hell, this year for sure. I am sick of saying wait until next year. Mahomes will get paid and we need to get what we can here and now with this team as it is built before making hard decisions on who we can keep going forward while paying Mahomes.

52 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

When we can’t block well enough to run, we stick to the pass. When we can’t block well enough to throw deep we dump it off. 
It’s easy to be frustrated as a Chiefs fan. We have a great coach that is 27-3 in the division. We would have been in the SB last year if D Ford didn’t line up off sides.

The year before (I think) DJ sacked the QB for a forced fumble and we win the game but they call forward progress on a QB in the pocket. I am just saying it ain’t easy to win the SB. Last year the 2 best teams didn’t even make it. Execution and luck play into it as much as play calling.

what we need to do is block and sling the rock. That’s our strength.

21 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Yes that was a great 2nd half to go with such a horrid first half. Part of that is seeing a complete game, from all aspects really. If he had adjusted to what they were doing, even a FG more etc in the first half, and it would have been a far different story. He just seemed over matched. 

We just have a different perspective on that I guess. The Patriots controlled the clock and limited our possessions and then did some stuff that really messed with our oline. BB had a great plan to take Tyreek away. But even in the first half Andy had a great play call on a wheel route to Damian Williams that would have been an easy TD but Mahomes overthrew him. It was about that point I had hope Andy was figuring that defense out. I felt Andy went toe to toe with the best coach in history in that game and we were in it despite being pulverized by their running game. 

In any case I know you are a great fan and respect your opinion. We all just want to win a Lombardi! I realize that if we lose on Sunday there will be a long string dedicated to firing Andy Reid. But again to me no matter what happens I think its in our best interest to keep him through his contract in 2021. I think there's a vision there for a really complete team the next two years and likewise think we've got the most complete team this year weve had in my lifetime. I still feel like we are building towards something and not at our peak. And I really believe Mahomes success also has a lot to do with Andy. 

1 minute ago, Mloe68 said:

We just have a different perspective on that I guess. The Patriots controlled the clock and limited our possessions and then did some stuff that really messed with our oline. BB had a great plan to take Tyreek away. But even in the first half Andy had a great play call on a wheel route to Damian Williams that would have been an easy TD but Mahomes overthrew him. It was about that point I had hope Andy was figuring that defense out. I felt Andy went toe to toe with the best coach in history in that game and we were in it despite being pulverized by their running game. 

In any case I know you are a great fan and respect your opinion. We all just want to win a Lombardi! I realize that if we lose on Sunday there will be a long string dedicated to firing Andy Reid. But again to me no matter what happens I think its in our best interest to keep him through his contract in 2021. I think there's a vision there for a really complete team the next two years and likewise think we've got the most complete team this year weve had in my lifetime. I still feel like we are building towards something and really believe Mahomes success also has a lot to do with Andy. 

Oh I wont be calling for his head after this season. He has next year too for me. I just hope it is not because he does some boneheaded thing though that keeps us from winning. The vitriol will be warranted then but still I think he has next year too. Why I say he has to show something in this and next years playoffs. If we blow 2 games the next 2 years it wont bode well for him imo.