Biggest surprise / disappointment

18 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

Patrick Mahomes will try to become the first QB in franchise history to win home playoff games in B2B seasons on Sunday. 

I would love for the Ravens to lose and Mahomes becomes the first to ever win back to back home games in one playoff season.

14 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

I would love for the Ravens to lose and Mahomes becomes the first to ever win back to back home games in one playoff season.

Heck Mahomes last season was the only QB in franchise history to even get the opportunity to try. Think about that. 60 years of Chiefs football there's never been a QB win 2 home playoff games in a season. In Marty's case they always lost the first game. Biggest shocker is in the Stram era we only hosted one home playoff game and lost. Heck the only QBs to win postseason games for the Chiefs are Alex Smith, Pat Mahomes, Joe Montana and Steve DeBerg.   Kind of what I'm talking about here. Andy's ended a horrific playoff streak vs the Texans. And another horrific streak against the Colts. Slow. But there's progress in January with this regime. 

1 minute ago, Thegoatee said:

Surprise: Defense in 2nd half of the season. Looked like the same old story for a while.

Disappointment: Robinson at WR. The dude regressed big time. And with all the injuries, he had plenty of chances.

I remember some of us getting roasted for wanting to trade Robinson too........lol, we should have sold high!

1 minute ago, Thegoatee said:

Surprise: Defense in 2nd half of the season. Looked like the same old story for a while.

Disappointment: Robinson at WR. The dude regressed big time. And with all the injuries, he had plenty of chances.

Good one. Overall defense was a huge surprise. I expect improvement throughout the season but to finish the last 1/3 of the season as the best D in the league is a huge surprise.

1 hour ago, kkuenn said:

I remember some of us getting roasted for wanting to trade Robinson too........lol, we should have sold high!

None of us knew how bad that dislocation on Hill was and we couldn't afford to lose any more wr's.......but yeah he probably would have fetched a 3rd after that big game.

15 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

None of us knew how bad that dislocation on Hill was and we couldn't afford to lose any more wr's.......but yeah he probably would have fetched a 3rd after that big game.

Maybe...................I doubt it. A Third? Teams know Mahomes is the guy and Robinson is #3 or #4 receiver on most teams. Its not like he is a rookie. One game was great but teams unlikely to trade a third based on that. 

On 1/8/2020 at 4:29 PM, Mloe68 said:

Heck Mahomes last season was the only QB in franchise history to even get the opportunity to try. Think about that. 60 years of Chiefs football there's never been a QB win 2 home playoff games in a season. In Marty's case they always lost the first game. Biggest shocker is in the Stram era we only hosted one home playoff game and lost. Heck the only QBs to win postseason games for the Chiefs are Alex Smith, Pat Mahomes, Joe Montana and Steve DeBerg.   Kind of what I'm talking about here. Andy's ended a horrific playoff streak vs the Texans. And another horrific streak against the Colts. Slow. But there's progress in January with this regime. 

To be fair to the Stram era players  it's not like the old AFL had a bunch of playoff games.  It was just east vs west division champs for the title game.

7 hours ago, FANATIC said:

Maybe...................I doubt it. A Third? Teams know Mahomes is the guy and Robinson is #3 or #4 receiver on most teams. Its not like he is a rookie. One game was great but teams unlikely to trade a third based on that. 

I think several teams would have given #2 wr compensation for him earlier this year. Giants, jags, patriots come to mind.

Well I guess since I started a thread at the beginning of the season about my one player picked that I think will step up and I chose Ward...do I say he was my biggest surprise since I picked him? I guess I expected better play but he has exceeded my expectations so... I would say Thornhill is my 2nd. Not that I didn't think he would be good but c,mon. The guy became an integral part of that defense and allowed the HB to do his thing. He will be sorely missed on Sunday.

Disappointment?....gotta be the interior Oline. Especially LDT because of the contract. He is not giving the team it's money's worth by any stretch. Reiter is not very good either.

3 hours ago, xen said:

To be fair to the Stram era players  it's not like the old AFL had a bunch of playoff games.  It was just east vs west division champs for the title game.

For sure. Certainly easier to navigate a short playoff field. But man it’s hard to believe they only hosted one playoff game under Stram in KC.  

59 minutes ago, liquidfriend said:

Spagnuolo.  I mean really, the performance he's produced with bad linebackers and so-so corners really is remarkable.  He's got them playing out of their minds.

If they don't tail off at all in the playoffs, that's a Super Bowl willing formula.

We’ve had this conversation. I don’t think they are so so corners. That’s the thing. 
Ward is a stud. And breeland is healthy and he’s a b b+ 

fenton super solid when he comes in for a no name guy. And fuller played better this year.

49 minutes ago, Calichief said:

We’ve had this conversation. I don’t think they are so so corners. That’s the thing. 

fenton super solid when he comes in for a no name guy. And fuller played better this year.

Fuller will be the man to moniter Will Fuller over the top. Can't let him beat us deep. 

8 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

For sure. Certainly easier to navigate a short playoff field. But man it’s hard to believe they only hosted one playoff game under Stram in KC.

True.  

Also filed under crazy stuff that's true, Mahomes is the first big 12 QB to win an NFL playoff game.  Ryan Tannehill is the 2nd.

On 1/9/2020 at 10:48 PM, Calichief said:

We have and I just don't agree.  The rush is a lot better and they are doing a great job at disguising what they're doing.

On 1/8/2020 at 3:10 PM, DieHard said:

When we can’t block well enough to run, we stick to the pass. When we can’t block well enough to throw deep we dump it off. 
It’s easy to be frustrated as a Chiefs fan. We have a great coach that is 27-3 in the division. We would have been in the SB last year if D Ford didn’t line up off sides.

The year before (I think) DJ sacked the QB for a forced fumble and we win the game but they call forward progress on a QB in the pocket. I am just saying it ain’t easy to win the SB. Last year the 2 best teams didn’t even make it. Execution and luck play into it as much as play calling.

what we need to do is block and sling the rock. That’s our strength.

Prioritize upgrading interior line and I’ll bet our issues in the red zone and hence closing games go away. Andy’s not working with a full deck yet. Not a tough fix IMO

For now he’s gotta realize his team’s limitations and not alter game plan with a lead. 

8 minutes ago, liquidfriend said:

We have and I just don't agree.  The rush is a lot better and they are doing a great job at disguising what they're doing.

Yes but to accomplish that Spags has them playing a lot of different coverage techniques.  There are a lot of corners playing in the NFL that can't handle that.  

Credit to Madison & Spags for getting the most out of those guys.