How do we stop Henry

9 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

I think some of us forget he went for 190 yards the first time we played and we had that game well in hand with a fumble lost and an inexplicable choke job in the final two minutes.  This was vs a hobbled Mahomes and lots of others missing.   Not saying we are going to dominate but it’s not like we haven’t seen Henry go off.   They are gonna have to figure out how to score 4-5 TDs to beat us though.    

I've been banging this drum.  The game turned on like 5 plays against us, none of them having anything to do Henry's day.  We can survive a bad day against Henry if we don't make those avoidable mistakes; we almost did.  We can't make those mistakes.

3 minutes ago, reesebobby said:

I understand the logic, but if you are talking about the advantage of rushing for 200 yards, a big component of that is ball possession and wearing down a defense.  A single 70 yard run eats 10 seconds of clock.  There's a reason why 200 yards rushing is good and 200 yards passing is not good.  It's the same yards, but not the same. 

I get what you're saying.

Our best defense against the Tits is Patrick Mahomes hopefully tearing them up.

9 minutes ago, reesebobby said:

68 if that was on one play.  For the most part we were able to slow him down. 

I don't really buy your logic here either.  I get what you're trying to say, it just doesn't hold up.  Lots of big rushing days have a big mixed in; *almost* nobody runs for 200 yards by going for 40 rushes at 5 YPC (I'm sure there's examples, I'm just saying it's not typical anymore).  Take away that 68 yard run and he's still 22 for 120 (and probably adds more on that drive), which most people would consider a very good day for him and it doesn't really change the narrative about our run defense.

3 minutes ago, Adamixoye said:

I don't really buy your logic here either.  I get what you're trying to say, it just doesn't hold up.  Lots of big rushing days have a big mixed in; *almost* nobody runs for 200 yards by going for 40 rushes at 5 YPC (I'm sure there's examples, I'm just saying it's not typical anymore).  Take away that 68 yard run and he's still 22 for 120 (and probably adds more on that drive), which most people would consider a very good day for him and it doesn't really change the narrative about our run defense.

True but I get the sentiment that this is not why we lost that game.  Which is also true.

Just now, Adamixoye said:

Yes, I'm not saying he didn't have a good day.  He did.  But his day was skewed by a run that's not likely to happen again.  Both his total yards and YPC.  I'd much rather have one big run of 70 yards than 7 10 yard runs.  We were able to force 4 punts and get some stops because we were able to contain him on several drives. 

13 minutes ago, Adamixoye said:

I've been banging this drum.  The game turned on like 5 plays against us, none of them having anything to do Henry's day.  We can survive a bad day against Henry if we don't make those avoidable mistakes; we almost did.  We can't make those mistakes.

You should not lose when you only punt once in a game. We had their defense so off balance in the first half they couldn't get off the field. We were just pulverizing them in possession time and it was obvious they were very tired. But our mistakes kept them in the game and kept Henry relevant. And Henry rushed for 138 yards and 2 TDs in the second half which not only kept the game within reach but started to wear our defense down. By the last possession our D had no gas left and the Titans ripped through us easily. 

10 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

You should not lose when you only punt once in a game. We had their defense so off balance in the first half they couldn't get off the field. We were just pulverizing them in possession time and it was obvious they were very tired. But our mistakes kept them in the game and kept Henry relevant. And Henry rushed for 138 yards and 2 TDs in the second half which not only kept the game within reach but started to wear our defense down. By the last possession our D had no gas left and the Titans ripped through us easily. 

Well, I definitely agree with some of what you said, again, my point is not that the run game doesn't matter it's that it's not a live or die issue.  We nearly survived a bad run defense day and it took like 5 different ways of us shooting ourselves in the foot for us to lose.

I mean, we could have stopped the run too, that would have worked.  But all those ways we shot ourselves in the foot each represented a simpler and arguably easier path to victory that we blew.  Run D was legitimately like 5th or 6th on the list of reasons we lost the game, IMO, and it's harder to fix going forward than cleaning up those other mistakes.  Bad run defense is very survivable.  Turnovers and leaving points on the field isn't.

14 minutes ago, Adamixoye said:

Well, I definitely agree with some of what you said, again, my point is not that the run game doesn't matter it's that it's not a live or die issue.  We nearly survived a bad run defense day and it took like 5 different ways of us shooting ourselves in the foot for us to lose.

I mean, we could have stopped the run too, that would have worked.  But all those ways we shot ourselves in the foot each represented a simpler and arguably easier path to victory that we blew.  Run D was legitimately like 5th or 6th on the list of reasons we lost the game, IMO, and it's harder to fix going forward than cleaning up those other mistakes.  Bad run defense is very survivable.  Turnovers and leaving points on the field isn't.

We weren’t gonna get beat by Tannehill so it was absolutely crucial for the Titans to get a big day out of Henry. The odd thing is that it’s very clear we gambled we’d build a big lead and mitigate Henry’s value. And from that perspective we made some crucial mistakes which kept that gamble from working.  And I’d absolutely agree those mistakes were the biggest factor in that loss. 
im on board with the idea its not necessarily how many yards he gets. It’s how he gets them. If you showed me that TOP chart I would have bet $5000 we won. Again showing nothing trumps big turnovers and timely miscues. 

4 hours ago, Chiefmanzada said:

there's no better momentum than beating up your opponent with the ground game

I think a 24-0 lead is about the best momentum you could ask for... didn't seem to help Houston

3 hours ago, robgar said:

chris jones, terrell suggs, pennel

none of those guys played last time round. and let me remind you 

https://www.chiefs.com/news/chiefs-vs-titans-injury-report

you guys of this..

Jones played. I have a vivid recollection of him completely gassed standing around midfield trying to call timeout. 

2 hours ago, mex said:

actually it was the stuffing of the fake punt that changed our mojo

That helped, but the kick return is what changed the game.  When the Chiefs scored in about two plays,  we knew they would get back in it, maybe down by 10 at the half.  The fake punt certainly did accelerate the timing of the come back, but the energy level went up after the kick return. 

5 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

They made us attempt 6 FG. They are the number 1 red zone d. 

16 minutes ago, Holmes4six! said:

They made us attempt 6 FG. They are the number 1 red zone d. 

Good point on the FGs. But I think until the playoffs started they were actually a bad red zone D. Maybe I’m wrong. I know their red zone offense was the best in the NFL. 

In another analytics-driven comment that's just going to get ignored or dismissed by many, study of the history of red zone offense suggests it is highly variable and not indicative of future performance.  We were great last year, then regressed this year, then positive regression hit in the playoff game.

We should have been more aggressive against Tennessee, our 2019 red zone issues notwithstanding.

This is behind a paywall, but do you know when we were great in the red zone?  2011.  It's a horribly overrated stat.

http://insider.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/7170232/red-zone-efficiency-meaningless-predictor-future-performance-nfl