How do we stop Henry

4 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

"Targeting " and getting ejected I believe is a college rule..nothing more than Personal foul penalty and possibly a fine 

roger that... yeah I had forgotten it's different in the league. if they go out and try to injure us... the gloves need to come off

On 1/13/2020 at 12:02 PM, FANATIC said:

Exactly. Dont worry about giving up a big run. It will happen. A big run does not take 6 minutes off the clock. Just force them into a few third and longs and get them off the field. Mahomes & Co will take care of the rest.

Yeah.  Just make him get his 125 yards by working  hard, and play sound balanced defense. Swarm to the ball.  Don't stack the box except in the red zone. Dont let them use Henry to set up a passing game. Don't  let them get any long passes.  Gap discipline. Sound tackling.  Make them frustrated at having to spend so much time trying to keep up with Mahomes by using a running game.  This is a game we will probably win  using our secret weapon....Butker.  They have to be made aware that they've merely brought a big knife  to a gun fight.  Maybe its a machete, but its still a knife.

9 minutes ago, Adamixoye said:

Not as big as the worst "forward progress" call in history, but I seem to remember that the lack of penalty hurt us.

That call (or in this case non-call) was indefensible...and yet it amazes me how many bizarre things have befallen the Chiefs in past playoffs. 😞

2 hours ago, Adamixoye said:

Not as big as the worst "forward progress" call in history, but I seem to remember that the lack of penalty hurt us.

From my perspective at the game all I could say at the time was what? Forward progress? That can't be the right call. It was so unfathomable that I really thought people heard it wrong and were confused. When I found at later that indeed was the call. I was floored. That's beyond awful. 

2 hours ago, dhitter said:

That call (or in this case non-call) was indefensible...and yet it amazes me how many bizarre things have befallen the Chiefs in past playoffs. 😞

While true I also believe you have to put yourself in a position where one bad call doesn't end your season. I still think we would have won that day with Mahomes at QB. But I'm very glad they let Alex play it out. 

1 minute ago, Mloe68 said:

While true I also believe you have to put yourself in a position where one bad call doesn't end your season. I still think we would have won that day with Mahomes at QB. But I'm very glad they let Alex play it out. 

Agreed. Losing Kelce, while a significant blow, should not have completely shut down the offense. 

3 minutes ago, dhitter said:

Agreed. Losing Kelce, while a significant blow, should not have completely shut down the offense. 

I can't remember if we had 14 or 21 points when we lost Kelce, but I just remember it being the Jenga piece where the offense fell apart.  It was a lot like the 2013 Colts collapse, where we kept losing guys.  We lost Jamaal Charles and managed to do okay.  But then we started losing defensive guys, and once we lost I think it was Flowers we failed to stop them from there on out.

10 hours ago, dhitter said:

how about the holding call on Dave Szott vs Miami in the 1990 playoffs... that one killed us... horrible call

we had that game won

9 minutes ago, mex said:

how about the holding call on Dave Szott vs Miami in the 1990 playoffs... that one killed us... horrible call

we had that game won

Phantom hold. 10 yard penalty.  Lowery misses the next one about 1 yard short. That was maddening.  

32 minutes ago, mex said:

I still am pissed

it's been 30 years

What a heavy burden we bear as Chiefs fans!  The big question is whether Lucy holds the football for Charlie Brown this time. We'll find out Sunday. The misaligned stars.  The fickle finger of fate.   There is only one way to stop this shit.  Score more points than the Titans. Shouldn't be that hard, really. It ain't that complicated.

On 1/16/2020 at 8:28 AM, ATLchief said:

Titans will be looking to take Kelce out of the game.  And when I say "take out," I mean take him out.  By any means necessary.  Helmet to helmet, cutting him at the knees, you name it.  They want him watching from the locker room.

No doubt. Very good point. 

It was mentioned on GMF that chiefs need to lay the hammer down on Henry on the first play. Like Atwater did to okoye. 

Its that simple. Someone needs to put his ass on the ground with a massive hit. 

On 1/16/2020 at 11:24 PM, Fmbl2187 said:

Yeah.  Just make him get his 125 yards by working  hard, and play sound balanced defense. Swarm to the ball.  Don't stack the box except in the red zone. Dont let them use Henry to set up a passing game. Don't  let them get any long passes.  Gap discipline. Sound tackling.  Make them frustrated at having to spend so much time trying to keep up with Mahomes by using a running game.  This is a game we will probably win  using our secret weapon....Butker.  They have to be made aware that they've merely brought a big knife  to a gun fight.  Maybe its a machete, but its still a knife.

Yeah Brendan Daly and Spags will have a plan to plug those A gaps and be stout on the backside watching his cutbacks. Why is nobody talking about the Denver game when Fangio's boys held him to 28 yards? Where was he in the Divisonal round in 2018 against NE?  Nothing, only 20 yards and why bc NE got out to a 35-7 lead.Nobody talks about his weakness. He is a pure North/South runner If you plug the middle he cannot beat you outside. He doesn't have the footwork or lateral quickness abilities - make him check those feet in the backfield and swarm tackle. 

2 hours ago, ChiefThunder said:

Game plan should be similar to how they defended Lamar.....made him run laterally to the outside. Like you said, plug up the gut and force him outside. 

Running outside is actually the core of their entire rushing offense.  

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com/.amp/nfl/2020/01/17/titans-offense-origins-wide-zone-run-game-derrick-henry-arthur-smith

Truth is that he IS going to take them down the field and score.  They are going to get 20-35 points.  We win by anticipating their  RPO's and getting a couple of INT's and by Mahomes and the receivers having a good day, and by beating them on ST's.  I think we can get more than 30 points on them.  35 to 40, and we win.

1 hour ago, Chiefsfan1963 said:

If they play like they did last time minus the mistakes they win so don't give the game away. 

One word that can be used to describe the Titans is opportunistic. They don't have the multifaceted, "explosive" offense the Chiefs have. Obviously they rely on the run game...but one key is not making mistakes and taking advantage of the mistakes the other team makes. Just look at the last 2 playoff games they played. It's part of their formula. If Chiefs don't turn the ball over or commit a lot of penalties I cannot see any way the Titans can win.

Is everyone forgetting that on paper, the Ravens handled the Titans pretty well?  Titans had short fields, Ravens had long ways to go to score.  Titans made 300 yards, Ravens made 500.  It wasn't Henry that beat them single handed, it was mistakes, interceptions, missed fourth down opportunities, etc.  If the same teams played five more times, the Ravens would win four.  KC is the better team.  They lose if they focus so much on Henry that Tannehill play actions them to death.  Obvious passing downs, Chiefs should win.  Titans man defense, Chiefs should win.  Zone defense, Chiefs can adjust and find holes.  Let Henry get his yards and stop everything else and the Chiefs win.  They lose only if they play like the first quarter of the Texans game.