Is this our best?

Win or lose this game or the SB, can this team get any better than we're seeing today? Next year we probably make Pat a $40m/yr QB and we may extend Jones.  If so, are we seeing the best team on the field today than we will see in the next 5 years? Pat will continue to rise and keep us in contention for years to come, but surrounding talent- wise, this may be our peak. 

These next few years we will need to solely rely on draft picks and players who have failed or been injured and need one year prove it deals. Lot of upgrades we'd like to see, but only a couple holes a year the draft can address.  Be interesting to look back and wonder if this was a peak until PM maybe takes less than he's worth on his next contract. 

It’s worrying but less so because of the cowboys. Jerry jones is an idiot and is a position he cant fit his team under the cap. Because jerry has too much bargaining power with the nfl he will bitch until the cap is doubled. This is my theory and im sticking too it. I dont think he will have trouble keeping the players we need especially with watkins, ldt, and hitchens being expendable.

Hard to say. Good franchises seem to reload not reboot after SB runs. It seems like its the same handful of franchises every year...for a reason. I do think Mahomes will be the highest paid player in the NFL when they redo his deal. I do think Jones gets the tag. There are several players on this team that are decent but expendable. Guys like DeMarcus Robinson, McCoy, Darren Lee, Wiley, etc. We can replace guys like that. If you have your core players in place, QB, LT, #1 WR, TE, DT, DE, Safeties, the rest can be filled in with draft and FA stuff. My #1 desire for the Chiefs moving forward is to get a stud LB, LG/Center, CB (in that order).

This window right now feels like the Chiefs best shot. If they lose at home to a #6 seed (essentially Tannehill defeats Mahomes) then I am not sure what it would take moving forward to get there.

13 minutes ago, Biggjliv4 said:

Win or lose this game or the SB, can this team get any better than we're seeing today? Next year we probably make Pat a $40m/yr QB and we may extend Jones.  If so, are we seeing the best team on the field today than we will see in the next 5 years? Pat will continue to rise and keep us in contention for years to come, but surrounding talent- wise, this may be our peak. 

These next few years we will need to solely rely on draft picks and players who have failed or been injured and need one year prove it deals. Lot of upgrades we'd like to see, but only a couple holes a year the draft can address.  Be interesting to look back and wonder if this was a peak until PM maybe takes less than he's worth on his next contract. 

I don’t agree at all. I think we will have a loaded roster through 2021. I think we are better next year as defensive turnover continues and that’s SPAGs MO as well. 
If Mahomes deal is extended this offseason the big CAP hits are not coming during this 5 year stretch we have rookie contract control.  After 2021 we will likely see a younger team. Until then expect us to be one of the favorites if not the favorite every year.  It wouldn’t surprise me to see 4 straight AFC Title games here. 

29 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

I don’t agree at all. I think we will have a loaded roster through 2021. I think we are better next year as defensive turnover continues and that’s SPAGs MO as well. 
If Mahomes deal is extended this offseason the big CAP hits are not coming during this 5 year stretch we have rookie contract control.  After 2021 we will likely see a younger team. Until then expect us to be one of the favorites if not the favorite every year.  It wouldn’t surprise me to see 4 straight AFC Title games here. 

This. We will shore up our interior line and improve at CB this offseason. Plus I think we will sign a vet TE. We probably wont have Watkins, but our offense is just gonna improve as Mahomes does. And our defense is a couple pieces away from being a really good unit.

People are acting like Mahomes upcoming contract guarantees the rest of our roster will suck. Its not true. Veach will have to continue being good with the cap. But this roster can absolutely improve and maybe even be the best in the league going into next season.

50 minutes ago, dhitter said:

Hard to say. Good franchises seem to reload not reboot after SB runs. It seems like its the same handful of franchises every year...for a reason. I do think Mahomes will be the highest paid player in the NFL when they redo his deal. I do think Jones gets the tag. There are several players on this team that are decent but expendable. Guys like DeMarcus Robinson, McCoy, Darren Lee, Wiley, etc. We can replace guys like that. If you have your core players in place, QB, LT, #1 WR, TE, DT, DE, Safeties, the rest can be filled in with draft and FA stuff. My #1 desire for the Chiefs moving forward is to get a stud LB, LG/Center, CB (in that order).

This window right now feels like the Chiefs best shot. If they lose at home to a #6 seed (essentially Tannehill defeats Mahomes) then I am not sure what it would take moving forward to get there.

If the Chiefs lose on Sunday, it doesn't mean they aren't the better team or better shots for a future run.  Too many things can happen within one game to base total team judgement on it.

As for the original question, the Chiefs are a relative young team.  They can plug some holes through the draft, shed a few veteran contracts, and maybe get one carefully selected FA if the opportunity arises.  They could replace an expensive punter with a cheap rookie.  They can shed Robinson, Erving, Lee, etc. without hurting the team.  They can replace Watkins with Hardman and Hardman with a rookie #3 or #4 receiver.  Hitchings will be gone after next season.  The only big possible loss is Jones and he may stay with the team if they can fit his salary in.  The Chiefs could be instantly better with a good draft at CB, LB, and IOL.  I think the best years are still in the future. 

BTW:  The Chiefs are the early betting favorite for the Super Bowl NEXT SEASON.

Starters under club control in 2021 and likely to be here based on contract

offense:  Schwartz, Fisher, Hill, Hardman, Kelce, Mahomes

defense:  Clark, Nnadi, Saunders, Okafor, Mathieu, Thornhill

kicker: Butker 

CAP space   89 million

2 hours ago, Biggjliv4 said:

Still think 95 will be a tag and trade. Dont like it. But it is what it is.

9 minutes ago, Arrowhead78 said:

Still think 95 will be a tag and trade. Dont like it. But it is what it is.

Could happen, it's just hard to wrap my mind around letting a guy go that's a hair below Aaron Donald. He's not quite there in run defense, but to be able to rush and collapse the interior is rare to find. 

Even at $40M Pats contract won’t hurt us.  Heck Watkins off the books is about $20M saved right there.

New CBA I’d like to see each team get 1 or 2 “Larry Bird” rights but ONLY allowed on drafted players.  Still count against cap but only for say a yearly maximum of say the same amount as the franchise tag.

Depends on draft.  Gotta think Hardman, Saunders, Thornhill Fenton, Ward and guys like Pringle, Darwin, and Kpass will continue to develop and I think compensated for the loss of  Watkins, Erving, prob LDT, and eventually Hitchens.    We have a draft and some flexibility in FA.    We will be a good bit better next year imo.   Doesn’t take all pros to solidify that interior oline.  Add a rb, wr, iol, lb and 2 DBs which is very doable and we could be unstoppable.   But eventually as Mahomes continues to develop we will tapper off some in overall talent but not for a couple years.

I think as the game has evolved the QB position should be separate from the overall cap. Teams should not be handicapped due to a QB which is the most essential position in the NFL. Maybe set up a centralized fund and a team can offer one of 3 tiers depending on their rating of said QB. Not sure how it would work, but a more creative system needs to be tried so teams aren't in QB cap purgatory. Keeps game competitive and allows more money to the test of the players overall.

1 hour ago, Balto said:

Even at $40M Pats contract won’t hurt us.  Heck Watkins off the books is about $20M saved right there.

New CBA I’d like to see each team get 1 or 2 “Larry Bird” rights but ONLY allowed on drafted players.  Still count against cap but only for say a yearly maximum of say the same amount as the franchise tag.

Exactly, i have long thought in all sports you should get a salary cap break on home grown drafted players. Shouldn’t be penalized for drafting well

2 hours ago, Biggjliv4 said:

I think as the game has evolved the QB position should be separate from the overall cap. Teams should not be handicapped due to a QB which is the most essential position in the NFL. Maybe set up a centralized fund and a team can offer one of 3 tiers depending on their rating of said QB. Not sure how it would work, but a more creative system needs to be tried so teams aren't in QB cap purgatory. Keeps game competitive and allows more money to the test of the players overall.

Such a system goes the opposite direction, and punishes teams that don't have great QBs.  The idea behind the cap is so that you can't just go buy a team, and working the QB into that is just part of it.  I think it's fine as it is, and exempting the QB position creates problems.  

We are spending way too much on receivers for a team with a QB like Mahomes. That won't continue for long as we'll start drafting useful guys only to have them leave in FA for bigger deals after Mahomes flourishes them. The picks coming in will help us retain a solid team but so far all GMs failed in that area over the last decade after their QB got off the rookie deal. 

7 hours ago, sith13 said:

We are spending way too much on receivers for a team with a QB like Mahomes. That won't continue for long as we'll start drafting useful guys only to have them leave in FA for bigger deals after Mahomes flourishes them. The picks coming in will help us retain a solid team but so far all GMs failed in that area over the last decade after their QB got off the rookie deal. 

I disagree. This year with a young cheap QB we only have one WR with a CAP hit of more than 2.1 million this year. Watkins won’t be back next year as Hardman and Hill take over as starters. We likely sign a cheaper veteran and draft a developmental guy later.  And Mahomes will still be cheap.
 Really good blend of money spent in my opinion. And notion a good QB doesn’t need weapons is very flawed.  Ask Aaron Rodgers.  

Just now, Mloe68 said:

I disagree. This year with a young cheap QB we only have one WR with a CAP hit of more than 2.1 million this year. Watkins won’t be back next year as Hardman and Hill take over as starters. We likely sign a cheaper veteran and draft a developmental guy later.  And Mahomes will still be cheap.
 Really good blend of money spent in my opinion. And notion a good QB doesn’t need weapons is very flawed.  Ask Aaron Rodgers.  

Our approach will be letting guys like Watkins leave in favor of guys like Robinson, etc. We'll definitely have a solid TE and WR in the mix but won't be paying multiple receivers big money as we'll be looking to bring them via draft (like Hardman). Money will likely be spent on proven linemen as keeping Mahomes upright will be paramount. 

9 hours ago, sith13 said:

if we get to the SB and win that will go a loooooong way as some players will want to come and take Watkins and Robinson's jobs to get the chance to be on a winner

as long as we don't overpay for anyone truly over the hill we should be fine

unless the cba gets done before the league year, we wont resign mahomes this year... 

he is signed for next year.. plus we have a fifth year option.. I do not expect him to see that fifth year option.. 

funny though according to current league rules, in the last year of the cba, you cant give a player more than 10% more per year. 

which means that if mahomes was looking at his fifth year option this year, would be illegal.  

you see mahomes contract is 735,000 this year, now ten percent of that is yeah 73 thousand..   so next year we could give him 800k next year 880 k etc.. 

now his roster bonus this year is around 2 million.. but you see that doesnt count..  so its that 735 plus 10 percent we are talking about.. 

signing bonus, cant be prorated this year, at least the way I understand it... so theres not much chance in hell we do a new deal with him this year, unless there is a new cba. 

now that brings us to the option year, which pays the same as  a franchise tag.  i.e. currently around 20 million.. 

now pat deserves a new contract, and so do some other guys.... but if the cba doesnt get done.. I dont expect anything more than 1 year contracts.

I don't see this being our peak.  My reasons:

• Lots of developing young players that have not peaked
  • The defense is still new enough that it has not reached its full potential
  • My confidence in Veach continuing to draft well(sometimes it takes awhile to realize i.e. our 2018 picks)
  • Free agent willingness to play for a REAL contender, not just a playoff caliber team
  • My hope that the rumor that QBs not being part of the salary cap under the new CBA is true

and most importantly:

Patrick Freaking Mahomes has TWO years as an NFL starter.  This kid is nowhere close to peaking and that alone will lift the quality of the team.

This team can be better...

21 minutes ago, robgar said:

unless the cba gets done before the league year, we wont resign mahomes this year... 

I think there's no way Leigh Steinberg is going to let this thing get past this offseason especially after the dislocated kneecap scare. Just too much money on the line for Mahomes to risk a major injury and lose the big pay day. They basically know what the new CBA will look like. And also realize we are just a few years away from a TV/streaming contract which will likely mean another big bump to the salary cap pool. I think both are served well to get this done sooner rather than later. The contract can easily be structured to give the Chiefs much of the CAP relief they already had in the rookie deal too. Keeping that wide open Super Bowl window though 2021. 

14 hours ago, sith13 said:

Our approach will be letting guys like Watkins leave in favor of guys like Robinson, etc. We'll definitely have a solid TE and WR in the mix but won't be paying multiple receivers big money as we'll be looking to bring them via draft (like Hardman). Money will likely be spent on proven linemen as keeping Mahomes upright will be paramount. 

Will Robinson really contribute more than Pringle, Dieter, Kemp, a rookie, etc.?  Kelce, Hill, and Hardman are the future targets and I don't see a need for the Chiefs to spend on #3 and #4 to any huge degree.  They don't need to spend all that much to fix the interior O-line.  Hitchings has one more year here and should then be replaced with a cheaper draft choice.  Bottom line is that the Chiefs can remain competitive within the salary cap while signing Mahomes and Jones