Is this our best?

5 hours ago, jetlord said:

Will Robinson really contribute more than Pringle, Dieter, Kemp, a rookie, etc.?  Kelce, Hill, and Hardman are the future targets and I don't see a need for the Chiefs to spend on #3 and #4 to any huge degree.  They don't need to spend all that much to fix the interior O-line.  Hitchings has one more year here and should then be replaced with a cheaper draft choice.  Bottom line is that the Chiefs can remain competitive within the salary cap while signing Mahomes and Jones 

We sure can. Right now there's enough cap flexibility to last for a while and decent guys in place to keep the team competitive. My thought about letting guys leave is mostly a few years down the line. 

Not sure about Jones though. We definitely can sign him and Mahomes together but I'm not sure if I like his injuries at critical moments. 

16 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

I think there's no way Leigh Steinberg is going to let this thing get past this offseason especially after the dislocated kneecap scare. Just too much money on the line for Mahomes to risk a major injury and lose the big pay day. They basically know what the new CBA will look like. And also realize we are just a few years away from a TV/streaming contract which will likely mean another big bump to the salary cap pool. I think both are served well to get this done sooner rather than later. The contract can easily be structured to give the Chiefs much of the CAP relief they already had in the rookie deal too. Keeping that wide open Super Bowl window though 2021. 

I don't think the Chiefs will hold back... they know what they have in Mahomes and will restructure his contract

the sooner the better IMO because they can spread it out and leave room for supporting cast

17 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

I think there's no way Leigh Steinberg is going to let this thing get past this offseason especially after the dislocated kneecap scare. Just too much money on the line for Mahomes to risk a major injury and lose the big pay day. They basically know what the new CBA will look like. And also realize we are just a few years away from a TV/streaming contract which will likely mean another big bump to the salary cap pool. I think both are served well to get this done sooner rather than later. The contract can easily be structured to give the Chiefs much of the CAP relief they already had in the rookie deal too. Keeping that wide open Super Bowl window though 2021. 

did you even read my post regarding the whys expecially someone like steinberg, would want to move this to next year, rather than this year if the cba is not done?

next year mahomes has even more leverage than he does now, and the contract 10% increase per year limitation would not exist.  dont try to convice me Steinberg is stupid.

6 minutes ago, robgar said:

did you even read my post regarding the whys expecially someone like steinberg, would want to move this to next year, rather than this year if the cba is not done?

next year mahomes has even more leverage than he does now, and the contract 10% increase per year limitation would not exist.  dont try to convice me Steinberg is stupid.

Contract increases are limited to 30% not 10%.

Also I have not heard that they are trying to renegotiate that out.

The players are however trying to get rid of the fully funded rule that says all guaranteed money has to be held up front in escrow.  It's a relic of an earlier era when the league was not doing so well and the players see it as a barrier to fully guaranteed contracts.

So yeah Steinberg may want to wait depending on how much guaranteed money they want.

this year, it is 10% it is part of the poison pill injected into the cba, to keep the cba from reaching the end without an agreement.  also no june cap cuts,  no extended bonus's.... the rules i am quoting arent true for every other year under the cba.. just this one.. also no franchise tags, etc...  also no unlikely to be earned performance bonuses... this year, they all have to be marked as likely to be earned. 

1 hour ago, robgar said:

this year, it is 10% it is part of the poison pill injected into the cba, to keep the cba from reaching the end without an agreement.  also no june cap cuts,  no extended bonus's.... the rules i am quoting arent true for every other year under the cba.. just this one.. also no franchise tags, etc...  also no unlikely to be earned performance bonuses... this year, they all have to be marked as likely to be earned. 

You got a link on that.   I don't see a change to the 30% rule in the CBA final year, and some of the above I know is wrong. 

For instance, not only is there a franchise tag available in the last year, but teams can also designate a transition tag as well, where normally they only get one or the other.

Also you can have unlikely to be earned incentives in the last year, they are just immediately accelerated when earned during the season, whereas normally UTBA bonuses are retroactive after the season.

You are correct that there are no post June 1 cut cap relief.

4 hours ago, robgar said:

I read it. I just disagree.

“Mahomes is expected, at some point during the offseason, to get a new deal done with the Chiefs that I would think, just guessing, is going to be a deal in excess of $200 million over the course of that contract,” said Schefter.

Agents want to minimize risk and protect their clients. Most importantly take a guaranteed big pay day now rather than hope no serious injury happens to get paid later. It’s all about guaranteed money. It’s not a problem maneuvering around this. This contract is going to be very interesting though.  Veach has created a lot of flexibility with the CAP as we finally get rid of most of the dead money from the Dorsey era (still have to pay Berry 8 million)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sportingnews.com/us/amp/nfl/news/patrick-mahomes-contract-extension-projection-chiefs/1urqnwd9acetm10dxm91an1ovo

2 hours ago, xen said:

You got a link on that.   I don't see a change to the 30% rule in the CBA final year, and some of the above I know is wrong. 

For instance, not only is there a franchise tag available in the last year, but teams can also designate a transition tag as well, where normally they only get one or the other.

Also you can have unlikely to be earned incentives in the last year, they are just immediately accelerated when earned during the season, whereas normally UTBA bonuses are retroactive after the season.

You are correct that there are no post June 1 cut cap relief.

Article 13, Section 7 of the CBA mandates that "no player contract extending into a season beyond the Final League Year may provide for an annual increase in salary ... of more than 30 percent of the salary provided for in the Final League Year, per year, either in the season after the Final League Year or in any subsequent season covered by the Player Contract."

So if a player signs a five-year contract this offseason, and his 2020 salary is $10 million, the rules state his scheduled 2021, 2022 and 2023 salaries can't be higher than $13 million, $16 million and $19 million, respectively. And yes, there are already contracts on the books that reflect this. The deal Odell Beckham Jr. signed with the Giants last summer, for example, provides for a higher salary this year ($17 million) than in 2020 ($14.25 million), 2021 ($15.75 million), 2022 ($15 million) and 2023 ($15 million).

26 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

Article 13, Section 7 of the CBA mandates that "no player contract extending into a season beyond the Final League Year may provide for an annual increase in salary ... of more than 30 percent of the salary provided for in the Final League Year, per year, either in the season after the Final League Year or in any subsequent season covered by the Player Contract."

So if a player signs a five-year contract this offseason, and his 2020 salary is $10 million, the rules state his scheduled 2021, 2022 and 2023 salaries can't be higher than $13 million, $16 million and $19 million, respectively. And yes, there are already contracts on the books that reflect this. The deal Odell Beckham Jr. signed with the Giants last summer, for example, provides for a higher salary this year ($17 million) than in 2020 ($14.25 million), 2021 ($15.75 million), 2022 ($15 million) and 2023 ($15 million).

Yes this is my understanding as well.