Thoughts on the off-season so far?

Sutton doesn't run the traditional 3-4. It's not always about the defensive ends just controlling the line of scrimmage and taking up blockers. One of them is usually trying to penetrate the gaps and get in the back field. Sutton and Rex Ryan like to have versatile 1 gap / 2 gap DEs in the rotation. Walker's role will be similar to Wilkerson's on the Jets. This type of defensive end is a piece they really wanted. Also, Walker played in Al Groh's 3-4 defense at Georgia Tech so he experienced. If he pressures QBs like he has in the past, it's going to mean a lot more sacks for everyone. Our front seven is better than last year imo. You should read up on Sutton's defense. It's pretty interesting.

Sutton doesn't run the traditional 3-4. It's not always about the defensive ends just controlling the line of scrimmage and taking up blockers. One of them is usually trying to penetrate the gaps and get in the back field. Sutton and Rex Ryan like to have versatile 1 gap / 2 gap DEs in the rotation. Walker's role will be similar to Wilkerson's on the Jets. This type of defensive end is a piece they really wanted. Also, Walker played in Al Groh's 3-4 defense at Georgia Tech so he experienced. If he pressures QBs like he has in the past, it's going to mean a lot more sacks for everyone. Our front seven is better than last year imo. You should read up on Sutton's defense. It's pretty interesting.

Virtually no one is running that old style 34 any more.  Most teams are looking to get pass rush from the 34le.  The ones that are effective, like Watt and Wilkerson, Cam Jordan et al, are taller.  Walker doesn't fit that mold either.  He looks like the stereotypical 43, 2 gap DT.  I hope I'm wrong, but I just don't see him as the answer.

Archived