Thoughts on the off-season so far?

Well its been a while fellas. 

Since we missed all the fun stuff of the off-season, what does everybody think?

My take for what it is worth

I think Dorsey did a pretty good job of finding good talent and not breaking the bank. This is probably more of a normal off-season than what we saw last year. I have been telling people all along, last year was not the norm. Dorsey and Reid came in here and needed to fill a lot of holes. The only way to fill those holes last year was to spend some money. I would say the worst move they made last year was Dunta Robinson. Vance Walker was a pretty good pick up. We probably lose a little in the run game, but he is 10 times the pass rusher that Tyson Jackson was. Chris Owens is a decent slot corner. It will be interesting to see what happens with Flowers, are we going to play him on the outside or inside. 

I liked the move to bring back Abdullah, he had a hell of a playoff game, and I think atleast deserve a shot at more playing time. It will be an interesting camp battle between him and Sanders Commings. 

Biggest gripe of the off-season is probably WR. Wasn't overly pissed about the Emmauel Sanders debacle, but that was some serious BS on his and his agents part. I think the Chiefs showed some confidence in Hemmingway and Jenkins, itll be interesting to see if they make a big jump from last year. 

I may be in the minority, but I absolutely loved our draft class. If this board was up, I was calling the Dee Ford pick since the Senior Bowl. I got called all sorts of names around different blogs, but I said I think Dee Ford should be our pick. Yes it would of been nice to grab a WR, but after Beckham Jr and Cooks were off the board, there was no reason to select Lee. Ford is going to bring a whole new dynamic to our pass rush. I can't wait to see teams try and block Ford, Hali, Houston, and Poe all at once. 

Gaines, Thomas, Murray---all solid picks. DAT(De'Anthony Thomas) is going to be huge in the return game. He is our McCluster replacement, and he is a more skilled player. McCluster is what I would call quick but not fast. He would make 20 moves and avoid people but go nowhere, Thomas is like Jamaal, dude is a burner and can pull away from people. Can't wait to see what Andy will draw up for him. He is also a more skilled receiver than McCluster was. He lined up all over the field for Oregon and I think he will be the OW we were hoping McCluster would be. Murray was a great pick also. I would almost expect him to be IR'd this year so he can fully rehab his knee, biggest issue now is, do we sign Smith and for how many years? I think Murray can finally be our franchise QB, but I think he should wait about 2 or 3 years before we throw him in. Gaines is a player, big and fast, but will need some coaching up.

The O-lineman in the 6th were to shabby either. All in all, I thought a very sold draft. 

As far as who we lost in FA---only person I was upset with was Schwartz. I thought we would atleast bring him back. Albert, TJax, Big Jon, Dexter, and Lewis were all replaceable, especially for the money they received. The thing that excites me the most, we are going to be looking at 4 comp picks next year, 3 at the minimum. 

Well that's all I got for now, feels good to be back.

Guest Spfdchiefsfan

Same here. Very dissappointed that Denver did nothing but get better, and we just sat on our asses!

Same here. Very dissappointed that Denver did nothing but get better, and we just sat on our asses!

Yeah, but will feel better if in the back of their minds they thought that the Broncos will be just too tough with manning still in.  They could have had the thought that this would be the best year to regroup and not overspend in anticipation for 2015-2016 and the following year, when manning will likely be done.  Don't know, I would rather win now.

Guest Guest

Murray = a first round qb last year. I'm fired up about him in a major way. It worked out to our favor that he didn't go to the combine or do work outs. He would have gone far sooner.

I am "hopeful"....

I like the QB, RB's,  LB's and D-line.

I am nervous about our WR's. CB's and all Safeties not named Berry.

w

Hi, West!!

I like where they are going with the taller CB's.  That's what absolutely killed us against Denver last season.  RB situation is good.   And hey! We're undefeated so far. Can't argue with that, yet.

Well its been a while fellas. 

Since we missed all the fun stuff of the off-season, what does everybody think?

My take for what it is worth

I think Dorsey did a pretty good job of finding good talent and not breaking the bank. This is probably more of a normal off-season than what we saw last year. I have been telling people all along, last year was not the norm. Dorsey and Reid came in here and needed to fill a lot of holes. The only way to fill those holes last year was to spend some money. I would say the worst move they made last year was Dunta Robinson. Vance Walker was a pretty good pick up. We probably lose a little in the run game, but he is 10 times the pass rusher that Tyson Jackson was. Chris Owens is a decent slot corner. It will be interesting to see what happens with Flowers, are we going to play him on the outside or inside. 

I liked the move to bring back Abdullah, he had a hell of a playoff game, and I think atleast deserve a shot at more playing time. It will be an interesting camp battle between him and Sanders Commings. 

Biggest gripe of the off-season is probably WR. Wasn't overly pissed about the Emmauel Sanders debacle, but that was some serious BS on his and his agents part. I think the Chiefs showed some confidence in Hemmingway and Jenkins, itll be interesting to see if they make a big jump from last year. 

I may be in the minority, but I absolutely loved our draft class. If this board was up, I was calling the Dee Ford pick since the Senior Bowl. I got called all sorts of names around different blogs, but I said I think Dee Ford should be our pick. Yes it would of been nice to grab a WR, but after Beckham Jr and Cooks were off the board, there was no reason to select Lee. Ford is going to bring a whole new dynamic to our pass rush. I can't wait to see teams try and block Ford, Hali, Houston, and Poe all at once. 

Gaines, Thomas, Murray---all solid picks. DAT(De'Anthony Thomas) is going to be huge in the return game. He is our McCluster replacement, and he is a more skilled player. McCluster is what I would call quick but not fast. He would make 20 moves and avoid people but go nowhere, Thomas is like Jamaal, dude is a burner and can pull away from people. Can't wait to see what Andy will draw up for him. He is also a more skilled receiver than McCluster was. He lined up all over the field for Oregon and I think he will be the OW we were hoping McCluster would be. Murray was a great pick also. I would almost expect him to be IR'd this year so he can fully rehab his knee, biggest issue now is, do we sign Smith and for how many years? I think Murray can finally be our franchise QB, but I think he should wait about 2 or 3 years before we throw him in. Gaines is a player, big and fast, but will need some coaching up.

The O-lineman in the 6th were to shabby either. All in all, I thought a very sold draft. 

As far as who we lost in FA---only person I was upset with was Schwartz. I thought we would atleast bring him back. Albert, TJax, Big Jon, Dexter, and Lewis were all replaceable, especially for the money they received. The thing that excites me the most, we are going to be looking at 4 comp picks next year, 3 at the minimum. 

Well that's all I got for now, feels good to be back.

Agree with all of that.  Good analysis.

Hi, West!!

I like where they are going with the taller CB's.  That's what absolutely killed us against Denver last season.  RB situation is good.   And hey! We're undefeated so far. Can't argue with that, yet.

Ron Wolf school of thought.  Never get a corner under 5' 11"  :-).  

We didn't have the money to spend like Denver did. 

We have a lot of guys that will be due contracts in the next 2 years (DJ, Houston, Berry, Poe, Charles) 

The only guy I was disappointed we didn't get was Desean Jackson, I thought for sure he was coming here. 

Broncos had a hell of an off-season, but they better hope they win a super bowl in the next 2 years, because they are going to be hurting after Manning retires. Also, they have a lot of people due contracts next year, and they arent going to have the money to resign them, they screwed themselves for the future.

I can sum up my thoughts on the season with one word:  Unimpressed.

Hope I am wrong, but that is how I feel about it.

It wasn't a lot of big names, but I think it was a lot of pieces that will make the team better. 

Reid learned the hard way in Philly, going out and signing the top guys in FA doesn't always pan out(Dream Team)

You don't win super bowls by winning free agency. Reid and Dorsey have my trust as of right now, I trust that what they do is to improve the team. 

My only gripe is the WR's and S. Obviously they have a lot of trust in the guys we have here, so we will see if it comes back to bite them.

We didn't have the money to spend like Denver did. 

We have a lot of guys that will be due contracts in the next 2 years (DJ, Houston, Berry, Poe, Charles) 

The only guy I was disappointed we didn't get was Desean Jackson, I thought for sure he was coming here. 

Broncos had a hell of an off-season, but they better hope they win a super bowl in the next 2 years, because they are going to be hurting after Manning retires. Also, they have a lot of people due contracts next year, and they arent going to have the money to resign them, they screwed themselves for the future.

Well I can tell you, I would flip positions with them in a heart beat to have made the dance or odds on favorite to be there again.    Still no clue if this team can even compete much past a 8-8 season.

Well I can tell you, I would flip positions with them in a heart beat to have made the dance or odds on favorite to be there again.    Still no clue if this team can even compete much past a 8-8 season.

The schedule is tough this year, but it will give us a good indication to where this team is at. We are still building this thing, but I think for the first time in a long time we are heading in the right direction. a 8-8 or 9-7 season this year isn't necessarily a let down. Going 11-5 last year came out of nowhere. I would say most people would of been happy with 6-8 wins last year. 

We basically only had 1 game last year where we got flat out beat and we only lost to 3 teams(although all 3 times twice) Both Broncos game we were in it to the end, the Chargers games were both fluky in that 1 was played with backups and the other we had no answer after Tamba and Houston got hurt(don't forget we were pretty much controlling the game even though it was close when both were in) The first Colts game was the game we flat out got our asses kicked. 

I don't think it is out of the question that we can win 10 games this year. At this time last year we looked at our schedule and thought we were in for hell, and then it ended up being one of the easiest in the league. 

The margin for error this year is almost 0. We can't lose to teams like the Titans, Jets, Rams, Dolphins, Bills, Raiders x2, and Chargers x2. Beating all those teams is 9 wins right there. Then all we would need to do is win 1 out of Broncos x2, Seahawks, Patriots, Steelers, Cardinals, and 49ers

I’m concerned.  The Chiefs had very little cap room to work with, but Dorsey did little to create any.  I don’t understand why Eric Berry isn’t locked up long term.  He is worth the same money the other top safeties are getting, despite his critics.  Any kind of contract with the appropriate signing bonus could have created $8M in cap while locking up one of our defense’s best players.  Had this been done perhaps Geoff Schwartz could have been retained, for what was a fair market value contract.  NYG didn’t pay him too much.  The OL improved drastically when he was inserted.  He should have been retained.

It appears our new savior, John Dorsey, is not so good at working the cap yet.   It’s too soon to write off last year’s draft, but as is it is his supposed forte, I expected more.  The only hope is Kelce makes an impact, otherwise we are staring at the same crappy WR corp we had last season. 

I do applaud this year’s draft approach.  Dorsey drafted for the future and not to fill holes.  That’s what smart teams do – championship teams.  We’ll see if the players pan out.  He’s new to this, but I think he might be a good one.  Like many of you I was optimistic over our last “savior”, Scott Pioli, so we’ll see.

The OL is scary at both OG spots.  We can hope that Eric Fisher becomes the player we hope he does, one worthy of R1.01.  It remains to be seen.  We can hope the Don Stephenson can be more than a reliable backup.

FS, WR2, WR3 and LE are of concern as well.  Every other acquisition or departure made by the Chiefs in the offseason did not upgrade a position.  The Chiefs are relying on FA band-aids and late round draftees to step up.

·         Vance Walker < Ty Jackson

·         Joe Mays < Akeem Jordan

·         Hussain Abdullah < Kendrick Lewis (not by a lot, at best he’s equal)

·         ??????? < Dexter McCluster  (Over time I think DAT will be an upgrade but not immediately.)

·         Rishaw Johnson <<< Geoff Schwartz

·         Fisher << Branden Albert (for now)

Last year the Chiefs were an 8 win team that with the help of the entire NFCE tanking won 11 games.  With a tougher schedule I expect the Chiefs to win less than 8.

I guess that makes me a “Debbie Doubter” (wa-waaah), but I really see no logical argument to anything I’ve stated.  For the Chiefs to return to the playoffs, it will take more than one of the band-aid solutions applied to excel.  Not likely.

·         ??????? < Dexter McCluster  (Over time I think DAT will be an upgrade but not immediately.)

-Walker is going to give you more pass rushing than Tyson Jackson. Walker had 32 hurries last year from the DT spot, Tyson Jackson has 36 for his whole career. I pretty much call it a wash. We lose run support, but gain pass rush, for the money reason it was worth it. 

-Mays and Jordan is a wash for me, because of how we run our defense. Also I dont think we can rule our James Michael Johnson here, he had a hell of a game against the Chargers, and if he is healthy I think he could win this spot

-Abdullah is better than Lewis, atleast for what we ask our FS to do. I think Commings will surprise some people too, either way if Abdullah and Commings give us anything, it will be more than what Lewis gave us.

-Will be interesting to see how we use DAT, I think he is far superior to McCluster in the return game, but I don't think we will see much of him other than special teams

-RG scares the hell out of me, but Johnson did show some promise in the Chargers game. I thought for sure we would atleast bring Schwartz back, that was my only real surprise of the people we lost.

-Losing Albert was tough, but the writing was on the wall and we just couldn't afford him. It scares me that Fisher wasn't able to do any upper body work this off-season because of shoulder surgery. 

I was surprised we didn't extend Berry this off-season to get some cap room. I think a deal is coming, but i we lose Berry and/or Houston, my confidence in Dorsey is going to go way down. 

-Walker is going to give you more pass rushing than Tyson Jackson. Walker had 32 hurries last year from the DT spot, Tyson Jackson has 36 for his whole career. I pretty much call it a wash. We lose run support, but gain pass rush, for the money reason it was worth it. 

-Mays and Jordan is a wash for me, because of how we run our defense. Also I dont think we can rule our James Michael Johnson here, he had a hell of a game against the Chargers, and if he is healthy I think he could win this spot

-Abdullah is better than Lewis, atleast for what we ask our FS to do. I think Commings will surprise some people too, either way if Abdullah and Commings give us anything, it will be more than what Lewis gave us.

-Will be interesting to see how we use DAT, I think he is far superior to McCluster in the return game, but I don't think we will see much of him other than special teams

-RG scares the hell out of me, but Johnson did show some promise in the Chargers game. I thought for sure we would atleast bring Schwartz back, that was my only real surprise of the people we lost.

-Losing Albert was tough, but the writing was on the wall and we just couldn't afford him. It scares me that Fisher wasn't able to do any upper body work this off-season because of shoulder surgery. 

I was surprised we didn't extend Berry this off-season to get some cap room. I think a deal is coming, but i we lose Berry and/or Houston, my confidence in Dorsey is going to go way down. 

You assume Vance Walker will give more pass rush than TJ.  Only because TJ offered little.  I do not know that.  He does not fit the mold of a JJ Watt, Muhammed Wilkerson, Calais Campbell, or a Cam Jordan.  He doesn't offer the the height/altheticism mismatch that the new mold of 34-pr-le fits.  He's an old school 43 two gap DT -- period.  And he wasn't really that good at that.

Meanwhile what TJ did offer was was solid run defense, what I know VW will not.

The only answer at that position is if Allen Bailey realizes his potential.  I'm losing optimism in that.

·       -Mays and Jordan is a wash for me, because of how we run our defense. Also I dont think we can rule our James Michael Johnson here, he had a hell of a game against the Chargers, and if he is healthy I think he could win this spot

JMJ?  Really?  He was cut by CLE.  CLE! 

Why are Chiefs fans always groping for a miracle?  JMJ is a D grade special team player.  Like Bobby Sippio and Maz and Jessie Haynes and Fujita and that WWE-shouldabe nitwit before him -- they don't work.  So wrap Eric Kush, Joe Mays, Rishaw Johnson, Commings/Abdullah, in a velvety piece of of paper and wipe your butt with them.  

Don't tell me they are solutions.  They are prayers.  They aren't worth serious consideration.  Law of averages dictates they are ALL crap

If Abdullah is better than Lewis then I have no faith in Reid.  Why?  

Because Lewis was awful -- all season.  Did It really take until the end of the season until the Chiefs realized they had Ed Reed v2?  This from a guy who was out of the league until KC reincarnated him?

No.  Thank you for playing.  Next contestant, please.  The Chiefs still have a problem at FS.    

FS, DE, WR and LG are all very real concerns. Not enough to get my panties in a wad over, but definitely a concern. That said, we were able to generate a passing offense with these same guys and I loved kelce coming out of college, so we'll see what the can do.

Overall I'm leaning more towards cwill and less towards debbie... sorry, meant less towards mongo.

It's the offseason so there's room for optimism right now. Plus we all know that there will be good players looking for work after cuts. KC did pretty damn well there last year.

Personally I loved our draft though. I would have l loved a trade down but it wasn't in the cards. Other teams were after Ford. After that there's not one pick I didn't like. The corner has a ton of potential. We'll see if he pans out.

If Abdullah is better than Lewis then I have no faith in Reid.  Why?  

Because Lewis was awful -- all season.  Did It really take until the end of the season until the Chiefs realized they had Ed Reed v2?  This from a guy who was out of the league until KC reincarnated him?

No.  Thank you for playing.  Next contestant, please?  The Chiefs still have a problem at FS.

lol really? I'm sure Reid will be crushed to learn you've lost faith, as up until now you've been a huge supporter. I know he really leans on you.

On a side note I wonder if he let's his coordinator make decisions about starters.

lol really? I'm sure Reid will be crushed to learn you've lost faith, as up until now you've been a huge supporter. I know he really leans on you.

On a side note I wonder if he let's his coordinator make decisions about starters.

Ooooh that hurts.  Until you posted that I was sure I had Andy Reid hinging on my every thought.  And of course, because I'm not a hopeless Homer my opinion is less than yours.  In fact, I bet Andy Reid comes here to for a jolt of confidence from guys like you when he's feeling down.

And since you brought it up lets talk about Dandy.  Everything I've said about him is true.  He runs a soft, sissy style offense that doesn't win in the playoffs.  The beauty of football is it is ever evolving but it always returns to its core.  Hard nosed, defense based, cram the stinking ball down your throat until you stop me is still the formula for success.

Reid won in PHI when he had Jimmy Johnson, an innovative DC, and after he passed away the decay began.  Shallow Hal hasn't proven to really be that good, something else I called.

So in the end, maybe Dandy should give me a call, because he certainly hasn't learned a damned thing to dictate he change his failed ways. 

I think dorsey, et. al., looked at the offensive production + defensive blarf in the playoff game and decided that D was the first priority.

Like most, I was looking to see which WR would fall/be picked, and I didn't even know who ford was.

Still, I can see these guys feeling ok with the offensive production w/o Charles in a playoff game.

Lots of question marks all over the team with a rough schedule, but I'm an optimist by nature and what the hell . . . let's hope for the best.

I appreciate Mongo's kick ass and take names position = thought provoking and he may be right = good debating to look forward to.

A bland post, but I just wanted to post something = happy to see the CC forum alive again.

5) Kansas City Chiefs: 19

Ten Pro Bowlers and Andy Reid's credentials make the Chiefs surprising top-five hope generators. Granted, you have to buy into Reid's infrastructure-focused principles to be a true believer. "Yeah, we are building in the trenches, drafting for skills instead of needs, and remaining fiscally solvent. Hooray Chiefs!" Reid is building something that looks very similar to the early-2000's Eagles, right down to the aggressively unimpressive receiving corps. After the Herm Edwards, Todd Haley and Romeo Crennel regimes, that looks a lot better to Chiefs fans than it sounds to Eagles fans.

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/76751244/mandatory-monday-hope-index-rankings-san-francisco-49ers-seattle-seahawks

I liked the Walker and Mays signings. Walker creates a helluva lot of pressure and he should help the pass rush. Mays brings the nastiness we've been missing. I am concerned about depth at tackle. Fisher and Albert missed several games last year. We need Fisher and Stephenson to stay healthy. I guess Jeff Allen could play tackle? He played there a lot in college. Free safety is another concern. However, if we get Ford, Houston, and Hali all in there on third down, Berry might be free to roam the secondary more often. We'll be OK at guard. Either Johnson, Kush, or Fulton will work out.

I liked the Walker and Mays signings. Walker creates a helluva lot of pressure and he should help the pass rush. Mays brings the nastiness we've been missing. I am concerned about depth at tackle. Fisher and Albert missed several games last year. We need Fisher and Stephenson to stay healthy. I guess Jeff Allen could play tackle? He played there a lot in college. Free safety is another concern. However, if we get Ford, Houston, and Hali all in there on third down, Berry might be free to roam the secondary more often. We'll be OK at guard. Either Johnson, Kush, or Fulton will work out.

Explain to me how 3 sacks last season and 8 career translates into a "helluva lot of pressure".  The 3 sacks ranked 26th amongst 43DE.  I know he had a lot of hurries, but that really has no quantitative meaning unless you know the outcome of the play. He made the QB rush his throw that all you know.  Maybe it was a TD.  Maybe it was an INT or an INC.  Yes he got close to the QB, but again he didn't get there.  Beside the year before he only had 15 hurries.  Not quite Warren Sapp.

Now you're moving him to 34de at 6'2" 302.  Sounds like the next Glen Dorsey to me.  A two gap DT being played out of position.  Certainly not comparable to JJ Watt 6.05 295, and the like who generate a PR from the 5.

Archived