Chiefs QB Aaron Murray practices on Monday, is ineligible for PUP list

ST. JOSEPH

When rookie quarterback Aaron Murray took his repetitions Monday during the Chiefs’ first training camp practice at Missouri Western State University, it eliminated one option the club had to solve its quarterback dilemma.

Currently, the Chiefs have four intriguing quarterbacks — Murray, Alex Smith, Chase Daniel and Tyler Bray — and most teams only carry three on their final 53-man roster.

But one way the Chiefs could have kept all four is by placing Murray, who suffered a torn ACL in his left knee last November, on the preseason physically-unable-to-perform list.

By by participating in the practice, Murray lost his eligibility for the PUP list, which means the Chiefs might be forced to make a decision between Bray and Daniel, because Smith and Murray are likely locks to make the roster.

For his part, Murray made it clear Sunday that he feels no residual effects from the surgery, though he suffered the injury only eight months ago.

“The knee is great,” Murray said, “it really has been feeling fantastic. Minicamp and OTAs went awesome. I really had no problems with the knee at all, and had no limitations. So I look forward to continue to get it stronger, to build confidence and get better every day.”

Murray participated in the majority of organized team activities a month ago, only missing a practice to participate in a league-mandated rookie symposium.

During OTAs, he appeared to throw unencumbered, despite the presence of a brace on his left knee, which he continued to wear on Monday and has slowly gotten used to.

“I am fine with it right now,” Murray said. “At first, the first month or so, it’s a little weird having it on. But right now I have gotten used to it. It really isn’t one of those big bulky braces that offensive linemen wear. So it’s nothing that is going to hinder me and my movement and my ability to make plays.”

Murray did his best to prove it Monday, when he connected on two deep passes in practice, one to Jerrell Jackson and the other to Frankie Hammond.

It was, he hopes, the early fruit of a laborious recovery process that he put himself through in hopes of competing for playing time as soon as possible.

“I pretty much lived in the training room for about five, six months,” Murray said. “It was non-stop rehab, taking care of my body, making sure I am getting enough rest, making sure I am eating properly and doing all of the little things. I also had some great doctors and great athletic trainers work on me during the whole process.”

Compete....I hope Murray "Kills it" and allows KC to Trade Daniels for a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

Some team is going to "need a QB" as the pre-season winds down.

w

No team is going to give up an R2 or R3 for Chase Daniels.  Except maybe the Chiefs who have made a habit of overpaying for QB.

I really can't see the Chiefs getting rid of Daniels. They really wanted the guy and made it a priority to get him. They even overpaid for him last year. I think Bray's going to be a goner but we'll see. It's going to be interesting.

I really can't see the Chiefs getting rid of Daniels. They really wanted the guy and made it a priority to get him. They even overpaid for him last year. I think Bray's going to be a goner but we'll see. It's going to be interesting.

Agree.

I'll say it again. We stole Murray. This guy was being touted as a first rounder the year before.,.

KC stole Bray too.  Hopefully Bray is ready to send Daniel packing.  

doubtful but entirely possible. Qb's get hurt. Daniels has proven IMO to be a serviceable backup. I'd fall over if they could get a 2 or 3 round pick out of him but time is on the Chiefs side in that regard and desperate times call for desperate measures.

I think it's Daniels

I think they hang on to Chase long enough to see if any team needs a QB from injury. Seems that there has been talk around camp about the throws Bray has made. He may impress enough to take a chance on. Time will tell.

If the Chiefs have any chance at all of making the playoffs, it will be with a healthy Smith.  I just don't see Daniel as any more than a stop-gap backup last season and Bray and Murray should duke it out for this year's backup and maybe a future starter.  What ever Bray's maturity problems are or were, he can really heave the ball and I'd hate to see him released.  At the same time, Murray also has good potential.  To let either one go without a complete evaluation would be a mistake.  Let Daniel go and keep two prospects.

By the end of the pre-season there will be a team or two with playoff hopes.....down a QB.

w

You're not going to be able to trade Tyler Bray or Chase Daniel.  Someone can pick up the equivalent off of the street.  Teams already have their backups in place.

Matt Schaub only garnered an R6 pick and he will start in OAK.  Surely he is better than any backup in the NFL currently, including Chase Daniel. 

You're not going to be able to trade Tyler Bray or Chase Daniel.  Someone can pick up the equivalent off of the street.  Teams already have their backups in place.

Matt Schaub only garnered an R6 pick and he will start in OAK.  Surely he is better than any backup in the NFL currently, including Chase Daniel. 

This^^^

This a deja vu to Trent Green.  Everyone insisted he was worth an R2 when he was being traded.  I told everyone an R5 at best.  They got an R5.  Backup QB have little trade value.

Archived