I just wanna jump on the Dirty Dan bandwagon really quick..

I am one the Dirty Dan haters...and for good reason I believe. HOWEVER, Spags has put Soreness in a position that fits his skill set. I felt like Sutton was always trying to get Sorenson to do things that he physically was unable to do. I've spoken with 3 Non-Chiefs fans, and they all think that Dan is a LBer????

It appears that Spags has him playing some weird Big Nickel position and he never appears to be manned up on players that he cannot handle.  That's GREAT COACHING.

Spags, in my opinion is the Main reason were in Superbowl.

7 hours ago, hankstromboli said:

Y, very different player from the last couple years.

I always considered him a detriment to the defense.  Not a great cover guy and not a solid tackler.  This year looks like he's a contributor.    

Honestly I don't remember him ever making as many plays over the last couple years than he has made in these 2 playoff games 

a change of schemery will do that for a guy

6 hours ago, artsy said:

I just wanna jump on the Dirty Dan bandwagon really quick..

I am one the Dirty Dan haters...and for good reason I believe. HOWEVER, Spags has put Soreness in a position that fits his skill set. I felt like Sutton was always trying to get Sorenson to do things that he physically was unable to do. I've spoken with 3 Non-Chiefs fans, and they all think that Dan is a LBer????

It appears that Spags has him playing some weird Big Nickel position and he never appears to be manned up on players that he cannot handle.  That's GREAT COACHING.

Spags, in my opinion is the Main reason were in Superbowl.

No doubt Spags has helped tremendously.  However you're way overthinking this.  We're in the Superbowl cause Mahomes is a freak of nature and Andy Reid got the most out of him.  Our defense is the cherry on top.

1 minute ago, xen said:

No doubt Spags has helped tremendously.  However you're way overthinking this.  We're in the Superbowl cause Mahomes is a freak of nature and Andy Reid got the most out of him.  Our defense is the cherry on top.

I respectfully disagree..no Spags no SB the defense is the cream cheese icing on a very good cake.. a SB win is the cherry

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

I respectfully disagree..no Spags no SB the defense is the cream cheese icing on a very good cake.. a SB win is the cherry

We'll have to agree to disagree.  It's ok though, you're allowed to be wrong.  

Case in point.  The amazing comeback against Houston.  7 straight TDs and it didn't matter what the Houston offense did.  They weren't keeping up with that.

2nd case in point, our D was giving it up against the titans.  It wasn't until Mahomes and Co went off that the Tits were forced out of their gameplan in the 2nd half.  Hell the king only had a couple carries in the 2nd half.  That wasn't great defense, although there's no doubt they played very well.   Vrabel was forced out of his gameplan by Mahomes, not the defense.

Fear of Mahomes forces teams to take chances and do things they're not comfortable with.

Now that said, I'm really not belittling Spags and the D.  Hell I was one of the few around here that loved the hire at the time. And there's no doubt they have made near miraculous strides over the last 8 weeks.  

But let's pause here and remember that last year, we were a coin flip and a dee ford brainfart from making the superbowl with literally no D to speak of.  

Did this defense make a difference?  Maybe.  I don't think a huge difference.  Our path this year was easier than last year is the biggest difference.  The Tits taking out our 2 biggest roadblocks certainly helped.

10 minutes ago, xen said:

Case in point.  The amazing comeback against Houston.  7 straight TDs and it didn't matter what the Houston offense did.  They weren't keeping up with that.

2nd case in point, our D was giving it up against the titans.  It wasn't until Mahomes and Co went off that the Tits were forced out of their gameplan in the 2nd half.  Hell the king only had a couple carries in the 2nd half.  That wasn't great defense, although there's no doubt they played very well.   Vrabel was forced out of his gameplan by Mahomes, not the defense.

Fear of Mahomes forces teams to take chances and do things they're not comfortable with.

Now that said, I'm really not belittling Spags and the D.  Hell I was one of the few around here that loved the hire at the time. And there's no doubt they have made near miraculous strides over the last 8 weeks.  

But let's pause here and remember that last year, we were a coin flip and a dee ford brainfart from making the superbowl with literally no D to speak of.  

Did this defense make a difference?  Maybe.  I don't think a huge difference.  Our path this year was easier than last year is the biggest difference.  The Tits taking out our 2 biggest roadblocks certainly helped.

He may have only had a few carries in the second half, but that doesn’t really explain the ypc. The run defense was getting stronger. I think both things were true.

11 minutes ago, xen said:

agree 100%, only I think we would have handled NE. Might even have handled Balt because we play great on the road. 

5 minutes ago, mex said:

agree 100%, only I think we would have handled NE. Might even have handled Balt because we play great on the road. 

Kc would have stomped NE. 
the way they played run defense Sunday, they would have dispatched Balt too.

1 hour ago, xen said:

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

Yeah I'm not sure we get past either team with last years D.   Gotta make stops for a come back to be successful.   Remember our O didn't come out the 2nd half and score so the Titans game plan was still in effect but our D got two stops to start the second half which allowed the O to drive the dagger home.  Obviously without the O we wouldn't be here either but our D has gotten stops in big moments unlike any D I've seen since the late 90's.

20 minutes ago, xen said:

Um the high powered offense that couldn't get stopped got stopped right out of the gate......We were up 4 no doubt but that wasn't enough to get them out of their game plan.   Our D shut them down first series.  Then the O score but being up 11 with over a quarter and a half to play doesn't force you out of your game plan until the D stuffed them one more time.    Both series to start the 2nd half featured Henry and we shut him down.  Now obviously the O builds that lead and eventually they get out of running the ball but without those defensive stops they keep pounding the ball.      Our offense is the better unit but our D isn't just serviceable they are good in their own right and are down their 4th best player.   

Also if Dirty Dan doesn't make that tackle on 4th down the momentum might not have swung so fast in the Texans game.    

I'm not sure we win either game with last years defense.

7 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

Um the high powered offense that couldn't get stopped got stopped right out of the gate......We were up 4 no doubt but that wasn't enough to get them out of their game plan.   Our D shut them down first series.  Then the O score but being up 11 with over a quarter and a half to play doesn't force you out of your game plan until the D stuffed them one more time.    Both series to start the 2nd half featured Henry and we shut him down.  Now obviously the O builds that lead and eventually they get out of running the ball but without those defensive stops they keep pounding the ball.      Our offense is the better unit but our D isn't just serviceable they are good in their own right and are down their 4th best player.   

Also if Dirty Dan doesn't make that tackle on 4th down the momentum might not have swung so fast in the Texans game.    

I'm not sure we win either game with last years defense.

sorry but vrabel knew they couldn't stop Mahomes from scoring.  He has proven he'll keep running it when down even against good offenses.  So why didn't he keep running it against us.  Fear of Mahomes.

Once again I did not say our D is not much improved.  Or that they didn't help us win.  Both wins were full team efforts.

I am saying it is objectively not accurate to say that Spags is the biggest reason we're in the Superbowl.  The biggest reason wears number 15. 

In case we're making a list, Big Red is the 2nd biggest reason.  Then Spags.  Then Mathieu and Clark.

On 1/20/2020 at 5:10 PM, ChiefsFoolFan said:

Keep all the guys we have now.  Resign Jones, Ogbah, KPass, and Pennel.  Add 1 - 2 LBs and 1 - 2 DBs.

If we find a stud IOL, LB, DB, or RB it is going to make us super scary to face!

Someone mentioned getting Breeland Speaks back next year at interior DL which will also be interesting.

Balto, what say you?

Don't forget Okafor.  I like him even more than Ogbah.  KPass should play interior and use his height  and long arms to block passes, like Jones does.

24 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Don't forget Okafor.  I like him even more than Ogbah.  KPass should play interior and use his height  and long arms to block passes, like Jones does.

I think Ogbah is younger than Okafor.  The Chiefs probably can't keep both.  Kpass is playing pretty well at DE and gets sacks from there.  With Jones, Nnadi, and Saunders, is there room for Kpass at DT?  Where does Speaks play next season?  Can the Chiefs cut X. Williams and save cap numbers?  Good problems to have.