How many Superbowls didn't suck?

2 hours ago, wilkie said:

Not many.   Somebody gets ahead early and all the hype flies out the window.  Superbowl 11 was a good one but most of them are one sided.   Nobody remembers who lost.

Pretty sure people remember 28-3 Falcons lead two years ago. That was one hell of a game. Last year was semi close but maybe the worst Super Bowl ever. 

3 minutes ago, wilkie said:

When was the last time a Superbowl halftime show didn't suck?   Anybody but me remember the one with the 3D glasses?

There was a string of great performances after the turn of the millennium.  U2, Metalica. The Boss, Prince,  McCartney. Forget your musical taste which is subjective. They all delivered powerful performances. Seems like they try to hard now to pull something off rather than just picking a great artist and letting them do their thing.  Comes across as phony. 

46 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Half time is when everyone refills their plates at the desserts table and visits the toilet. (not necessarily in that order)  Who cares what the half time show is?

Actually, a lot of the socialites that helped turn the Super Bowl into a place to be seen instead of a football game to be watched/attended.  Those socialites who priced people like me out of ever seeing a Super Bowl live.  14k for tickets, hotel and flight.  Fucking ridiculous.  Same type of idiots who watch just for the commercials.  

On 1/27/2020 at 7:12 AM, jetlord said:

Half time is when everyone refills their plates at the desserts table and visits the toilet. (not necessarily in that order)  Who cares what the half time show is?

I've seen 2 people that went to the toilet during the game so they wouldn't miss Beyonce at halftime, as if she was coming out at the whistle. NFL is trying to get as many people as they can to watch for more money but their notion of SB isn't the big game but rather a whole night of entertainment with the game making up some part of it.

1 hour ago, sith13 said:

I've seen 2 people that went to the toilet during the game so they wouldn't miss Beyonce at halftime, as if she was coming out at the whistle. NFL is trying to get as many people as they can to watch for more money but their notion of SB isn't the big game but rather a whole night of entertainment with the game making up some part of it.

I’ve read a story that in the early 90s as the Super Bowl game itself had become by far the most watched event in America. television with a staggering 100 million plus viewers, halftime had become a bastion for counter programming because of a lame halftime.

In 1992 In Living Colour actually siphoned off almost 30 million of those viewers to Fox at halftime. This is when the NFL went all in trying to grab the Worlds biggest acts.  After all advertisers weren’t gonna pay premiums around halftime if people were changing the channel. And it worked big time too.  

But I think as the NFL has started to try and capture a younger demographic with the shows, you’ve seen the overall quality drop. That said you are absolutely right they need compelling programming besides the game itself to fully maximize advertising dollars in a 4 hour window.

Again it goes back to the conference championship games being the pinnacle of the season for true football fans. This is a much more broad  watered down audience. 

2 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

I’ve read a story that in the early 90s as the Super Bowl game itself had become by far the most watched event in America. television with a staggering 100 million plus viewers, halftime had become a bastion for counter programming because of a lame halftime.

In 1992 In Living Colour actually siphoned off almost 30 million of those viewers to Fox at halftime. This is when the NFL went all in trying to grab the Worlds biggest acts.  After all advertisers weren’t gonna pay premiums around halftime if people were changing the channel. And it worked big time too.  

But I think as the NFL has started to try and capture a younger demographic with the shows, you’ve seen the overall quality drop. That said you are absolutely right they need compelling programming besides the game itself to fully maximize advertising dollars in a 4 hour window.

Again it goes back to the conference championship games being the pinnacle of the season for true football fans. This is a much more broad  watered down audience. 

Yep, conference championships seem to be the peak of the year. Right now it's impossible to find tickets to the SB at a reasonable price and have to go through way too much non-football programming to actually watch it. Definitely not worth dedicating so much time if you are not a fan.

THe  In Living Color halftime show featured Damon Wayans and Jim Carrey as Fire Marshal Bill.   It was hilarious.   I think Pepsi is the main sponsor of the halftime.    At Super Bowl parties I have attended all the men go out in the kitchen during halftime and the women watch the show so there are some people who think its entertaining.

20 years or so ago Coca Cola had a Las Vegas Review with a fake Elvis for halftime.   They said it would be broadcast in 3D and when you went to the grocery store you could pick up your 3D glasses.  Obviously it didn't work and simply changed the screen image to red and green.   That was about the same time as they came out with New Coke.

On 1/26/2020 at 7:37 PM, Mloe68 said:

There was a string of great performances after the turn of the millennium.  U2, Metalica. The Boss, Prince,  McCartney. Forget your musical taste which is subjective. They all delivered powerful performances. Seems like they try to hard now to pull something off rather than just picking a great artist and letting them do their thing.  Comes across as phony. 

halftime shows are for women

On 1/26/2020 at 8:11 PM, Burpo The Mad Clown said:

Meh. Those overblown half time shows with the contrived, methed up, auditioned group of "fans" who jump around the stage like the music is convulsing them into ecstatic orgasms grew old years ago.

They should just let a high school band play and save the bucks.

hear fuckin' hear

get on with the game