Watkins considering a pay cut

Per this he would be willing to take a pay cut to stay with the Chiefs. Now we all know he would not get the pay he is now with any other team so it makes sense. Might as well stay with a winning team. Just wonder though what we could do with it and how we can make it work.

https://amp.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001099825/article/sammy-watkins-mulling-pay-cut-to-stay-with-chiefs?networkId=4595&site=.news&zone=story&zoneUrl=url%3dstory&zoneKeys=s1%3dstory&env=&pageKeyValues=prtnr%3daround-the-league%3bteam%3dsf%3bteam%3dkc%3bconf%3dnfc%3bconf%3dafc%3bdvsn%3dncw%3bdvsn%3dacw%3bplyr%3dpatrick_mahomes&p.ct=Around+the+NFL&p.adsm=true&p.tcm=%23fff&p.bgc1m=%230964bf&p.bgc2m=%23053a74&sr=amp&__twitter_impression=true

AVENTURA, Fla. -- The story of Sammy Watkins' NFL life is one of emotional highs and steep falls.

After being selected No. 4 overall in 2014, Watkins generated two productive seasons, compiling 2,029 yards and 15 TDs. Injuries, however, persisted. The Bills jettisoned the former first-round pick in a trade, giving up on him after three seasons and numerous injuries.

Watkins spent one season in Los Angeles where he was a secondary weapon with the Rams, then signed a three-year $48 million contract in Kansas City.

"A lot of ups and downs. A lot of trials and tribulations," Watkins told NFL.com of his journey to Super Bowl LIV. "A lot of hard pain, suffering, but a lot of great moments. To get here, I've went through a lot. I've sacrificed a lot. I've went through so many different phases of myself. I've lost myself, I've found myself. It's a very special moment for me right now. It's so surreal. I have went through a lot to get to this space right now."The soft-spoken receiver has clearly been molded by the experience of washing out of Buffalo.

"You go through injury. Being the first round, fourth pick, you have two great years, and then after that, you just have a spiral of injuries down," he said. "The media bash you, not really bash you, but injuries, you know? That's detrimental to yourself when you're in this league. When you're not available, you're nobody. I went through that whole process of being down, being depressed, being counted out, not being able to perform, and not being able to be out on the field for two, three years, and show my abilities, show my gift. That hurt. (It took) a lot of reflection (to get over). I think those were the best moments that I had to find myself and fight through depression, fight through being down. I had a lot of time, handle a lot of family issues that I was battling with. Now all those things are on the high and everything is going great. It's amazing."

The 26-year-old believes he's finally found a home in Andy Reid's offense.

"(Joining the Chiefs) was the best decision of my life," Watkins told NFL.com Thursday. "My first year we go to the third round, a game away from the Super Bowl, and then to get back here again, that's special. I don't see a lot of people doing that as far as organizations as a whole. I think that shows what this team is about."

With one season left on his contract, Watkins hopes he's in the Chiefs' long-term plans but isn't fretting his future days before the Super Bowl.

"You never know. I have a lot of dreams and a lot of things I want to do. But hopefully I am here for the next..." he paused, considering "...until coach Reid retires. When he goes, I'm going to go. So, if I'm here a long time, I would definitely want to be here. And if I'm not, I'm going to take my dreams somewhere else and make the best of it."

Set to count $21 million against the salary cap with a base salary of $13.75 million, none of which is guaranteed, Watkins understands if the K.C. brass would approach him about a pay cut or just cut him outright.

"They might, you never know," he said matter-of-factly.

The Chiefs could save $14 million in cap space with $7 million in dead money by cutting him this offseason.

Watkins said Thursday that taking a pay cut might be something he'd be open to if it kept him employed in the place he's finally found peace. The wideout pointed out he's aware Patrick Mahomes needs to get paid.

"I don't want to say I will be (open to a pay cut). I don't want to say I won't," he said. "I just think I'm a special player. I think I deserve all the things I deserve. If I'm at home and thinking about it, if I have to do it to pay Pat, I maybe will. That's a guy that we should pay, and he needs to get paid. But you never know, that's a decision I'd have to go through."

There is a third option Watkins added unprompted.

"Or I might just take off a year after we win the Super Bowl, you never know," he said.

For those who believe a complementary receiver who generated 519 yards and 673 yards along with six total touchdowns in 24 regular-season games in his two seasons in K.C. doesn't merit the money owed, Watkins noted he's worth more than on-field production.

"I don't think numbers prove anything," he said. "Numbers are just numbers to me. Numbers may mean a lot to the world, but I don't think that proves what I do for this team. Me bringing the great energy every day, me being the person that I am...if you can value me off that, I think my value would be very high. I don't think my value is all off scoring touchdowns or getting 1,000 yards receiving. I don't think I'm valued like that. I'm valued off being around the guy, being positive, coming into work every day, being a professional. I think if you would judge me off that, you would give me the world."

Watkins has been big for Kansas City in key playoff bouts, including this year's AFC Championship Game in which he generated seven receptions for 114 yards and the game-sealing TD. Whether that's worth K.C. bringing him back at a high salary in 2020 or whether Watkins would take a pay cut or restructure to stay with Mahomes, the receiver has something to ponder after the Super Bowl.

36 minutes ago, Biggjliv4 said:

It's the only way he's staying. He may do some good things for the team, but not $21 million worth. Hope he's a key piece to our victory Sunday. 

Yup, this.

He should be considering a "Pay Cut". However, I'm not sure if that will be enough for the chiefs to keep him around...

After we get done paying Pat, we may have to play with a roster full of practice squad players..Lol.

2 hours ago, artsy said:

Yup, this.

He should be considering a "Pay Cut". However, I'm not sure if that will be enough for the chiefs to keep him around...

After we get done paying Pat, we may have to play with a roster full of practice squad players..Lol.

Yeah but they are going to wait to pay PM until another 12 to 15 months per Hunt on the ESPN article. This will free us up to extend others like Jones and allow us to get the deal done after the CBA.

Just now, kkuenn said:

Yeah but they are going tibwaitbto pay PM until another 12 to 15 months per Hunt on the ESPN article. This will free us up to extend others like Jones and allow us to get the deal done after the CBA.

I hope we can extend Jones. That would be awesome.

PLUS..We only have 2 CBs under contract for next year.

Speaking Thursday, Sammy Watkins said he is unsure if he will play next season.

Come again? Watkins is heading into the final year of his contract and evidently feeling philosophical. "I'm really in a different space right now," Watkins said. "I don't know what I'm going to do. If we win it, I might chill out. I might sit out a year. You just never know. ... Not retiring, but I might just want to rest up and chill." Watkins, somehow, remains four months shy of his 27th birthday but has taken an incredible physical beating as a football player. He is already quite diminished on the player who came off the board at No. 4 overall in 2014. Watkins' contract status is in flux, as well, as the Chiefs could cut him following two underwhelming seasons and save $14 million against the cap compared to just $7 million in dead money. We should have a good idea of Watkins' 2020 status by the start of the new league year in March.

SOURCE: ESPN.com

2 hours ago, Thegoatee said:

Watkins is too often hurt and too often disappearing in games to remain on that contract. In 24 games he has put up numbers he should be putting up in 12 to 14 games for his pay scale.

I agree Watkins is overpaid.

Here is my assessment of the situation. It's true that the production is not worth the price. Here is the problem (if you want to call it that) that i see. Sammy is probably the 2nd or 3rd look for Pat. Tyreek is so fast that he gets open so easy and he is doubled. He is easy to throw too when he is open a lot. Kelce (arguably the number 2 read) is a good route runner and generally open and sitting in a nice zone spot.

Defense absolutely watch Sammy too, so I don't think that it is he disappears..he gets pretty good coverage on him also. This is why it's so hard to keep up with our weapons. I think with him off the field, defenses may not worry about watching that side of the field as much.

I think what Sammy is is a way overpaid #3 read (a decoy). Sammy showed that he can be the number one.

So, I think he is more valuable of an asset than we think, he is just grossly overpaid.

If he was getting paid something like 20 million over 3 years the performance would justify the price but right now he's not that relevant in our offense to justify his salary. Not sure about his one year sitting out thing but I guess this won't be a boring offseason.

7 hours ago, kkuenn said:

If Sammy takes the year off, do we take a cap hit or does that make the contract voided?

It's the same as retirement. All signing bonus is accelerated to the cap like dead money and the rest is simply put on hold. So we would have the 7 million cap hit for 2020 and retain the rights to Watkins when he comes back. It's also possible to negotiate a buyout and things like that.

9 hours ago, sith13 said:

It's the same as retirement. All signing bonus is accelerated to the cap like dead money and the rest is simply put on hold. So we would have the 7 million cap hit for 2020 and retain the rights to Watkins when he comes back. It's also possible to negotiate a buyout and things like that.

So let him take the year off. He knows he will not get a huge contract and sees the writing on the wall we will not keep him at the 21 million price.  If he loves it so much here he will restructure. He knows he has a great coach, qb and system here. He also knows he will not get paid anywhere else and the biggest money would come from a team that is not good.

7 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

The #Chiefs are reportedly more likely to trade or release Sammy Watkins than extend his deal, per @RapSheet https://t.co/V3wpMOB2Rx

his salary alone makes him un-tradeable  then his production thrown in ..aint gonna happen..a blind man could see that. He very well may be cut but then resigned as from his statement  it seems that he really likes it here

20 hours ago, FANATIC said:

HE GONE. Even a 50% cut is not enough. Deep WR draft.  Hardman deserves more snaps. Keep Jones let Watkins go.

yes, this is how it needs to be done...my pov is that watkins is offering up a threat that he may just sit out a year if he doesn't play with the chiefs...go right ahead and sit out sammy, you are not the missing piece of this puzzle and have no leverage at all. Hardman can give exactly what you give and more

1 hour ago, kkuenn said:

The #Chiefs are reportedly more likely to trade or release Sammy Watkins than extend his deal, per @RapSheet https://t.co/V3wpMOB2Rx

I doubt he has any trade value. Teams know he is getting cut. Teams know Mahomes ads to his production. He may have to take a prove it...one year deal with another team. Then again Gruden may pay him big bucks LOL.

Guess we would need to see if teams think he is worth the $14M cap hit it would cost in a trade.  

Honestly if it was me I’d tie him to a larger trade like Fisher or Jones.  Fisher’s cap hit doubles this next year and Jones will want at least $20M a year.  YES both valuable players but tradable.

Maybe something like:

Jets get:  

Fisher, Jets largest need and for KC his contract goes fro, $7M this year to about $14M the next two!

Watkins, wr need for jets

Williams, Jets coach is on record as saying Williams was his favorite player from his Miami days and fits perfect in his system.

Chiefs get:

Bell, still think he is the best fitting RB in the NFL that fits into what Reid wants to do.  Bell would cost us about $14M a year for the next 3...not horrible really and his receiving skills along with Hardman getting better will more than make up for the loss of Watkins.

Jets 1st round pick

LT being the biggest need for the Jets and Sam Darold I think giving up that 1st for Fisher makes sense for them.  I see Watkins/Bell a pretty even trade as the Jets staff are rumored to not want Bell anymore and the need for WR help for Sam with what they wanna do fits.  Throw in Williams, it’s a easy deal!  I see Bell coming to a Super Bowl winning team under a offense ran by Reid will restart Bells career as the beast he is in the run game and more importantly the passing.  

Overall we save on cap, get better on O.