PFF Ranks Dee Ford way above Clark

Frank Clark in 7 playoff games has 7 sacks, 11 QB hits and 15 pressures.  All while setting the edge (something PFF gives you no credit for) and never lining up offsides.  Dee has his moments. Great Part time one trick pony who’s simply not asked to do nearly what Spags asks Clark to do. When’s he’s actually available. This is like analytics over reality.  Has clear value, but very shortsighted. 

Clark started the year absolutely terrible, missing tackles and barely holding his own against any OTs. I'm not surprised he's ranked so low, in fact it's definitely expected. The surprising part is Ford's ranking being so high. He sat out whenever he was injured, which helps his stats but when healthy he was nowhere near Clark's performance. Still a one-trick pony that can't do anything against the run.

It's because the 9ers don't even try to play Ford against the rush.  Armstead plays the rush downs and Ford comes in on passing downs.  Pretty much the 9ers paid Ford all that money to be a part time player.  

Since the 9ers have effectively negated the half of Ford's game that is awful, of course he'll have a high score.

On Clark, their grades are cumulative so his score will be dragged down by the first half of the season when he wasn't playing so well.

Analytics is awesome but context matters.

12 hours ago, Balto said:

Wondering if it’s because Clark played while injured thus not being 100% and hurting his PFF vs Ford got hurt and sat out all together instead of playing at less than 100% thus not effecting his PFF?

I think it’s more terrible takes from PFF as usual. Fuller is ranked above him. Dude is not even a starter.

9 hours ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

I mean clark did have a rough first 8 games. I would guess he was something like the 90th best end in the league the first 8 games and the #1 ranked the last 8 games as i vast over generalization.

Exactly right. Clark battled through that neck injury and the virus that caused him to lose 30 pounds. The guy is an absolute warrior but it clearly impacted his play big time. Since November he’s been a force. And he brings intangible toughness hard to measure. 

2 hours ago, DieHard said:

I think it’s more terrible takes from PFF as usual. Fuller is ranked above him. Dude is not even a starter.

Nah it's more just a function of the grades.  Ford was not on the field except for obvious passing situations.  I would expect him to be graded higher because of that.  If you put it in context it makes sense.

Fuller same situation. 

1 hour ago, xen said:

Nah it's more just a function of the grades.  Ford was not on the field except for obvious passing situations.  I would expect him to be graded higher because of that.  If you put it in context it makes sense.

Fuller same situation. 

Fuller has played really well in his new role.

apples and oranges

like you say, context is everything