Ok. Here's one thing that burns my hiney.

I'm tired of hearing about how awesome the 49ers defense is and how bad we are against the run.  Yes we were 26th in the NFL against the run.  And yes the 49ers are  good.  But we gave up 128.20 YPG on the ground and they gave up 112.60 per game.  That's not quite 3.9 per quarter difference.  Whooptie doo. 

Rant over. 

I see what you are saying, but since I don’t know the stats, that could be a difference between a touchdown or not. Are they much better on rushing touchdowns? Or first downs conversions? Also, we know what averages are, I’d have to look at their biggest and smallest efforts statistically. If one is more consistent and one gives wild results, that might affect the analysis.

And just like in passing offenses, sometimes we talk about how yards are not important but efficiency and third-down conversions and diversity of offense and scoring is more important than yards. So I don’t know if defense is the same thing. Either way, I think if you’re looking at one strength if it is offset by weakness, then it may not be nearly as important.

6 minutes ago, KCSLC2008 said:

I see what you are saying, but since I don’t know the stats, that could be a difference between a touchdown or not. Are they much better on rushing touchdowns? Or first downs conversions? Also, we know what averages are, I’d have to look at their biggest and smallest efforts statistically. If one is more consistent and one gives wild results, that might affect the analysis.

And just like in passing offenses, sometimes we talk about how yards are not important but efficiency and third-down conversions and diversity of offense and scoring is more important than yards. So I don’t know if defense is the same thing. Either way, I think if you’re looking at one strength if it is offset by weakness, then it may not be nearly as important.

On the season we gave up 19.2 PPG they gave up 19.4.

2 hours ago, reesebobby said:

I'm tired of hearing about how awesome the 49ers defense is and how bad we are against the run.  Yes we were 26th in the NFL against the run.  And yes the 49ers are  good.  But we gave up 128.20 YPG on the ground and they gave up 112.60 per game.  That's not quite 3.9 per quarter difference.  Whooptie doo. 

Rant over. 

Good thing you have only one thing LOL

I do get why our D is getting overlooked some.   A year and half of bad D isn’t going to get erased in 6 to 8 games.   I think they will play with a chip on their shoulder in this game and do well though.  

The SF D is good but not great.   The way they are getting talked about you would think they are the 85 bears.   Stat wise our D is very similar to theirs.  

4 minutes ago, Okiechief1 said:

I do get why our D is getting overlooked some.   A year and half of bad D isn’t going to get erased in 6 to 8 games.   I think they will play with a chip on their shoulder in this game and do well though.  

The SF D is good but not great.   The way they are getting talked about you would think they are the 85 bears.   Stat wise our D is very similar to theirs.  

Their D won't be the reason if we lose.

Executing their gameplan to keep Mahomes on the sidelines will be the reason, imo.

If they successfully execute their gameplan, that means the Defense played like SHIT.

17 minutes ago, Adamixoye said:

YPG is really not a good way to judge a defense.

Something like DVOA captures how our defense is better than we've been given credit for, and we've been improving over the year.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/dvoa-ratings/2020/week-20-dvoa-ratings

It might not be a good way to judge, but it's the way everyone is judging when they talk about our 25th ranked run defense.  The difference between being a top ten defense against the run (Buffalo 103.1) and a bottom ten defense against the run (Green Bay 120.1) is 17 yards per game. 

25 minutes ago, reesebobby said:

It might not be a good way to judge, but it's the way everyone is judging when they talk about our 25th ranked run defense.  The difference between being a top ten defense against the run (Buffalo 103.1) and a bottom ten defense against the run (Green Bay 120.1) is 17 yards per game. 

Your first sentence is true.  Your second sentence is misleading.  I don't think that just because the average YPG differences are small means that there isn't a significant difference in the quality of the defenses.

All I’m hearing is the same about the niners d. That’s okay. They will make a few plays, that they should. However I think Reid and mahomes will make the real tired by the 4 th quarter. I just hope it doesn’t take us long to figure out what they are doing like the last two games. Defensively I like our d when it comes to the money down. They seem to rise to the occasion of getting those stops. 
our first down defense is gonna be key. Gotta stop them to force long down and distances. 
I feel pretty good about the chiefs in this game as they have shown to get better in all 3 phases as the game goes on. 

I was going to start a separate thread on this, but the stats of both teams on ESPN are wrong between the two teams. The numbers are doctored to make the 49ers look much better than they are, compared to the Chiefs. They're using the regular season totals for points scored per game, but using the points allowed from the two playoff games. The yardage allowed is also off for both teams. 

I hope no one is judging anything by their info, because it's skewed.  Pro-football-reference is more accurate and shows a clearer picture.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/game/_/gameId/401131047  

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/202002020kan.htm

3 hours ago, wilkie said:

My big concern is our linebacker play in the 9 yard last the LOS area.   Covering TEs and RBs in the middle.  This is an area of extreme concern.  Our linebackers are not good cover guys

We had the 4th best D against TEs this year after all was said and done.  Also near the top vs WRs.

RBs not so much

8 hours ago, reesebobby said:

Even Joe Flacco beat the 49ers in the Super Bowl.  How hard could it be?

Channeling my inner PhataLerror: But the Niners don’t have a quarterback who will promise one particular receiver to pay them back and become myopic for that one receiver and miss the wide-open tight end in the end zone at the end of the game like last time.

:P

I feel like I didn’t nail it though. I don’t think I mentioned Alex Smith. There, I said it.

4 minutes ago, KCSLC2008 said:

I will look up how many of those points were from rushing touchdowns.

Does it matter? 19.2 and 19.4 is 19.2 and 19.4. Are you you going to look at who they played in those games as well? Are you going to look at injuries in those games? Bottom line, what happens Sunday is all that matters because everything else is history.

The Chiefs have Mahomes and the best passing game in the SB, they will TRUMP the 49ers.

2 hours ago, Chiefsfan1963 said:

Does it matter? 19.2 and 19.4 is 19.2 and 19.4. Are you you going to look at who they played in those games as well? Are you going to look at injuries in those games? Bottom line, what happens Sunday is all that matters because everything else is history.

The Chiefs have Mahomes and the best passing game in the SB, they will TRUMP the 49ers.

It’s 0.7 TDS allowed per game versus 0.9 (Chiefs). Whoopdedoo. I was just trying to play devil’s advocate with my questions but I didn’t know the answer.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/opponent-rushing-touchdowns-per-game

Whether the Chiefs win on Sunday is what matters, of course, but when talking about points per game overall and the question is rushing defense, of course points allowed by rushing matters compared to points overall.

But the results above shows so little difference so that’s where it becomes irrelevant. I was just asking about whether there was a bigger difference.

When it is rounded to a 10th, we’re basically tied in passing touchdowns allowed: https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/opponent-passing-touchdowns-per-game

I am lazy, so I won't look it up, but the last 6 weeks our D was awesome.  With additional players and the D scheme taking hold, we got dang good.  IF you compare the first 6weeks vs the last, you'd see 2 different teams.  Our average for the year isn't so good.  BUT THAT AIN'T US!!!

15 minutes ago, burt said:

I am lazy, so I won't look it up, but the last 6 weeks our D was awesome.  With additional players and the D scheme taking hold, we got dang good.  IF you compare the first 6weeks vs the last, you'd see 2 different teams.  Our average for the year isn't so good.  BUT THAT AIN'T US!!!

This is true.  But what I have yet to see is an advanced stats breakdown on our run defense since the first Titans game.  Just how much did we improve?  The addition of Suggs, Frank Clark getting healthy, learning Spags scheme, etc. all should have played a role, IMO.  But how much?

14 minutes ago, Adamixoye said:

This is true.  But what I have yet to see is an advanced stats breakdown on our run defense since the first Titans game.  Just how much did we improve?  The addition of Suggs, Frank Clark getting healthy, learning Spags scheme, etc. all should have played a role, IMO.  But how much?

How much? Enough to get is into the Super Bowl and then hopefully enough to win it. That's all that matters, screw numbers. 

6 minutes ago, Biggjliv4 said:

How much? Enough to get is into the Super Bowl and then hopefully enough to win it. That's all that matters, screw numbers. 

Well, if we're going to discuss it, it would be a nice thing to know, especially since the narrative is that our defense isn't as good as SF's and that it can specifically be attacked via the run.  Obviously, however, whatever the stats are going into the game all that matters is what happens tomorrow.

On 2/1/2020 at 3:17 PM, Okiechief1 said:

I read an article that said ever since Pennel got put into the lineup the run D turned around.   When he was inserted into the lineup they went giving up around 135 a game down to 94.   That’s one guy I hope we keep around 

He is a beast!!!