9ers Running game

Is anyone else nervous about our defense against their running game??

I'm starting to freak out a little....I keep having visions of old Broncos games with Shanahan (Mike) gashing our defense with Bootlegs and zone running plays. 

I know we stopped Henry, but that scheme was a lot different than what we're about to see Sunday.  I don't have very much trust in our LBing crew to stay disciplined and make tackles at the point of attack. The 9ers scheme is based on finesse and window dressing...They get the Dline and LBs "looking" one way, and hit you quick going the other way. 

I'm nervous...what say you guys??

4 minutes ago, artsy said:

I'm starting to freak out a little....I keep having visions of old Broncos games with Shanahan (Mike) gashing our defense with Bootlegs and zone running plays. 

I know we stopped Henry, but that scheme was a lot different than what we're about to see Sunday.  I don't have very much trust in our LBing crew to stay disciplined and make tackles at the point of attack. The 9ers scheme is based on finesse and window dressing...They get the Dline and LBs "looking" one way, and hit you quick going the other way. 

I am more concerned about their passing game. Talking heads talk like SF is all running. Not so. I think the SF offense is very good and more balanced than KC.

4 minutes ago, artsy said:

Aargh.

5 minutes ago, artsy said:

Were you nervous about Henry and how he was going to run over the Chiefs in the AFC Championship Game?

1 minute ago, FANATIC said:

I am more concerned about their passing game. Talking heads talk like SF is all running. Not so. I think the SF offense is very good and more balanced than KC.

So in other words, it sounds like youre nervous about our Defense in general..??

4 hours ago, artsy said:

So in other words, it sounds like youre nervous about our Defense in general..??

No. Just saying the Niners can throw it too & I think that will be their path to success. Both teams are evenly matched. Both defenses have some holes. Chiefs simply need to score more points. Going to be a shoot out. Offenses will rule this game.

I was thinking about their front 4. Mahomes and the chiefs have playes very good front 4s the last couple seasons and did well. Thing is mahomes and the chiefs are hot now, healthy and Mahomes has had another year if experience under his belt. We will do just fine on this game too.

21 minutes ago, artsy said:

Yea, I agree about their defense. However, they do have an outstanding front 4, and some solid LBers. I'm more concerned about OUR defense.

If this was last year's team, I'd think the Chiefs could win only if they scored 40+ points.  This is a different defense with a different coordinator that can adjust after the first quarter.  It will be disappointing if the Niners score over 30 and the Chiefs can keep up even if they get down early.  Not saying the Chiefs will win, only that they have nothing to fear.

Chiefs will go up and Niners will play from behind. Jimmy G can make some plays in the air. Mostert gets held for under 80 and we should be golden. Like Xen said , they can put up points but our pass rush will destroy Niners if we go up. Then the talk after the game will be about Chiefs front 4.... Niners D will give up points... Saints , Cards, Rams, & Seachickens shredded them.

The formula is simple as it has always been against zone rushing teams. Nnadi, Sanders, and Pennel need to play lights out at the 1-tech to hold the backside A gap and the backside DE needs to work down the line and hold contain. Early season issues had everything to do with that failing. Basically, keep Chris Jones inside playing the 3-tech so that he isn't an ever bigger liability against the run than he already is.

10 minutes ago, kccrow said:

The formula is simple as it has always been against zone rushing teams. Nnadi, Sanders, and Pennel need to play lights out at the 1-tech to hold the backside A gap and the backside DE needs to work down the line and hold contain. Early season issues had everything to do with that failing. Basically, keep Chris Jones inside playing the 3-tech so that he isn't an ever bigger liability against the run than he already is.

That’s why I said not having him against heavy rushing teams was no big deal. Saunders, Pennel and nnadi, ball out in the middle. Play jones on the end today.

1 minute ago, Calichief said:

That’s why I said not having him against heavy rushing teams was no big deal. Saunders, Pennel and nnadi, ball out in the middle. Play jones on the end today.

End, IMO, is a really bad idea since he is so clueless and loses his contain responsibility when he's out on the edge. I don't know if I'd have him on the field at all on obvious run downs. Keep him to strong side 3-tech only though. His deficiencies are best covered there, and if anything his penetration forces the cutback. 

5 minutes ago, kccrow said:

End, IMO, is a really bad idea since he is so clueless and loses his contain responsibility when he's out on the edge. I don't know if I'd have him on the field at all on obvious run downs. Keep him to strong side 3-tech only though. His deficiencies are best covered there, and if anything his penetration forces the cutback. 

I thought he was ok at the end position. 
doesn’t matter through, he’ll be out there all day today. 

On 1/31/2020 at 4:18 PM, xen said:

Niners defense is a mirage.  Just wait.  If it's a shootout they can't keep up. 

We spotted the team with the #1 rusher in the NFL 24 points

and they STILL couldn't run against us

our defense is the most under-the-radar unit in the league

and our OL will get it done today

6 hours ago, mex said:

We spotted the team with the #1 rusher in the NFL 24 points

and they STILL couldn't run against us

our defense is the most under-the-radar unit in the league

and our OL will get it done today

That's the one thing they underestimated big time!  No one talked about it, maybe just a little, but not much. This is what made me a little confident about the game.

5 minutes ago, qnet said:

That's the one thing they underestimated big time!  No one talked about it, maybe just a little, but not much. This is what made me a little confident about the game.

no SF rusher went over 60 yds, because of that 4th quarter defense

pretty good considering how well SF runs the ball... they rushed for 140-ish... we rushed for 130-ish

6 minutes ago, mex said:

no SF rusher went over 60 yds, because of that 4th quarter defense

pretty good considering how well SF runs the ball... they rushed for 140-ish... we rushed for 130-ish

They're a really good team, but the way the game was going, it reminded me of times were the Chiefs played other good defensive teams. The Chargers, Broncos and Ravens were very good defensive teams, and the Chiefs still moved the ball and made plays on them. 

Running the ball helped a lot, and that's one thing that surprised me. I didn't realize that the niners were kind of suspect there, but Reid knew it.

12 hours ago, Calichief said:

Thank God they didn't take your advice.  Had Jones not played in the middle, he wouldn't have batted those two key passes down that basically got the stops that made all the difference.

17 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Thank God they didn't take your advice.  Had Jones not played in the middle, he wouldn't have batted those two key passes down that basically got the stops that made all the difference.

No shit. But he got one rushing from the end.