We gotta keep Sammy

According to The Star, the Chiefs have Jones, Breeland, Fuller, D. Robinson, and Ragland are free agents.  In addition, Ogbah, Claiborne, Pennel, Wisniewski, and B. Bell are as well as both backup Quarterbacks.  Mahomes needs a new deal and Kelse only has two years left on his contract. 

I'm not trying to be negative, but I'm afraid some folks are going to have to go.  Look at Overthecap.com at the Chiefs. We can free up $14m with 7 dead by ditching Watkins, even though that is going to hurt.  We can save $3.25 with $1.4 dead for Erving.  We can cut Sorenson to save $3.75 with $1 dead and Wilson for $4 savings with $875k dead.  We can get $5m with $4 dead by getting rid of Tardif, but who takes over for him?  Finally there is Ogbah for a $3.2 savings, but a $4 in dead money. 

The team front loaded some money to get the team to win the Super Bowl.  And with a trophy hoisted over their head, can anyone fault them?  But now some of the bills are coming due.  The only good thing is we still have Mahomes, Reid, and Brett Veatch, who have earned some trust. 

He will either rework that contract for 7-9 million per or he will be gone.   Hardman will replace some of those and we will find a rookie/vet or Pringle/Kemp to replace the others.     If we can replace LDT and Reiter it might not matter who he is throwing too.  He didn't have any time tonight and still hung 31 against the best D we have seen.   

1 minute ago, SarcasticOne said:

According to The Star, the Chiefs have Jones, Breeland, Fuller, D. Robinson, and Ragland are free agents.  In addition, Ogbah, Claiborne, Pennel, Wisniewski, and B. Bell are as well as both backup Quarterbacks.  Mahomes needs a new deal and Kelse only has two years left on his contract. 

I'm not trying to be negative, but I'm afraid some folks are going to have to go.  Look at Overthecap.com at the Chiefs. We can free up $14m with 7 dead by ditching Watkins, even though that is going to hurt.  We can save $3.25 with $1.4 dead for Erving.  We can cut Sorenson to save $3.75 with $1 dead and Wilson for $4 savings with $875k dead.  We can get $5m with $4 dead by getting rid of Tardif, but who takes over for him?  Finally there is Ogbah for a $3.2 savings, but a $4 in dead money. 

The team front loaded some money to get the team to win the Super Bowl.  And with a trophy hoisted over their head, can anyone fault them?  But now some of the bills are coming due.  The only good thing is we still have Mahomes, Reid, and Brett Veatch, who have earned some trust. 

I might be in the minority but we will be better next year.  Only Jones from the first group is a must.   And I would add Pennel and Wisniewski should be resigned as well.   We have 4-5 draft spots that will contribute and fill holes.   LDT and Erving need to be replaced and Reiter relegated to backup.   Mahomes won't rework his deal until after the collective bargaining agreement and everyone else you mentioned can be replaced.  Spags will have another year in the system and better linebackers to work with along with some rookies with another offseason under the belt.   

Most of the guys you listed will be addition by subtraction.   But you are correct the bills will eventually come due and Veach will have to continue to be a shrewd GM.....the plus for us we should see an influx of interest from vets who want to play on a contender and vets who will be willing to sign prove it deals to play here.   Should be a fun offseason and it was all worth it tonight!    Doesn't matter what happens in the future Mahomes, Reid and the Chiefs have the monkey off their back.

2 minutes ago, kcchief4lif said:

Yeah have to see where the cards fall with his contract.  But just listening to his interview he really likes coach.  

Honestly he made some big plays and I would have been just fine with him getting the MVP.

I just think after this has sunk in he won't be as generous as we think he should be.  However, he did stay healthy this year and boy did he come through with some clutch throws.  IMO he is an enigma.  Just as talented as the best in the league just disappears to much and gets dinged up too much.    However he is amazing when he's on and he was one this SB run!

I think Sammy makes us a deal, he's made some good money and understands playing in a great organization and being happy at work means a lot in life. Like to sign Breeland, but he's been injured couple years and this was a prove it deal, he will need to get paid this next contract and will be forced to walk. Jones we keep I believe and I think Pat waits until new CBA to sign.

13 minutes ago, Biggjliv4 said:

I think Sammy makes us a deal, he's made some good money and understands playing in a great organization and being happy at work means a lot in life. Like to sign Breeland, but he's been injured couple years and this was a prove it deal, he will need to get paid this next contract and will be forced to walk. Jones we keep I believe and I think Pat waits until new CBA to sign.

Sign Pennel. Sign Jones. Rework Sorensen. Wis would be nice so we can go after G/C in draft and FA. Draft LB, TE and CB. Get another good vet looking to win it all and wanting to work with Reid and company for a spot we need.  Scour the UDFA and Practice Squad for other depth type players. The rest can walk, but if one more is able to be signed Ogbah would be it. We do get Speaks back and Kpass has done very nicely plus okafor can be depth then too.

41 minutes ago, SarcasticOne said:

The best thing about Watkins making plays is it should bring in a good draft pick. We need to free up that money.  Hardman and pringle can replace his production. 

Wisnewski needs to be resigned to come back and play center.  Replace Reiter. Let allegretti develop behind wisnewski. 

Jones,  breeland, ogbah, pennel need to be resigned. 

Erving, Reiter,  and LDT need to be released.  Or see's if we can get late rounds picks for them. 

With Hardman on a rookie deal, and Hill not getting a megadeal because of the drama bullshit last spring, there's definitely money there to resign Watkins.  The question is, what does Sammie value more, stats? winning? being the guy?  3 years 30 mil is entirely doable imo. 

1 minute ago, moons314 said:

With Hardman on a rookie deal, and Hill not getting a megadeal because of the drama bullshit last spring, there's definitely money there to resign Watkins.  The question is, what does Sammie value more, stats? winning? being the guy?  3 years 30 mil is entirely doable imo. 

Sammy is not a free agent. 

29 minutes ago, Palangi said:

The best thing about Watkins making plays is it should bring in a good draft pick. We need to free up that money.  Hardman and pringle can replace his production. 

Wisnewski needs to be resigned to come back and play center.  Replace Reiter. Let allegretti develop behind wisnewski. 

Jones,  breeland, ogbah, pennel need to be resigned. 

Erving, Reiter,  and LDT need to be released.  Or see's if we can get late rounds picks for them. 

When I was thinking about all those free agents, I couldn't help but see a little sunshine.  The Chiefs are going to get some good draft picks that will help them for years to come.