Damien Williams

He might not be the biggest nor the fastest nor the hardest to bring down... but the kid is pretty danged good

he can run the ball, he can break tackles, he's got edge speed, he has the hands for a vertical game which gives another weapon for Patrick...

and did y'all see how he picked up blitzes yesterday?  he was laying into dudes out there... solid in pass pro... I'd like to see us keep him around

He's signed through next year.  Unlike some people I'm fine if we head to camp with him as our #1.  Lots of other things I would prefer to address (interior OL, LBs, any other defensive FAs we have to let walk).  But I wouldn't break the bank to lock him down long-term.

Williams greatest contributions have been in the playoffs. He was just part of the rotation and McCoy was our leading rusher most of the year. We need another young body, mid to late round pick plus another veteran guy for depth brought in if McCoy and the other Williams are gone.

Some say he was the MVP last night. I’d say he was as important a cog as Kelce with similar stats, aiding his argument with the big run at the end. Buy Mahomes is the engine that made it all possible.

21 minutes ago, Palangi said:

Im good with him as the guy next year and Thompson as the change of pace.  

Im also interested in McGuire and Weber who are on the practice squad

Lets not forget Daryl Williams. He played very well until his season ending injury. 

I think Damien cannot handle a full 16 game schedule. He is great the last two years in Dec and playoffs because he has rested. As long as Reid has options during the season then we will be fine. 

2 hours ago, Holmes4six! said:

Lets not forget Daryl Williams. He played very well until his season ending injury. 

I think Damien cannot handle a full 16 game schedule. He is great the last two years in Dec and playoffs because he has rested. As long as Reid has options during the season then we will be fine. 

I like Darrel Williams. Along with Damian & Thompson I think we'll be fine. Let's upgrade the LB core.

2 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

We need to keep drafting talented guys at the back end of the draft until we find another Kareem Hunt.   Williams and Thompson are capable runners but neither can be counted on for a full season and while I love Daryl Williams he isn't very elusive.

Thompson hasn't been hurt really so not sure why'd you'd lump him in like that.  He may be small but dude is not built like a small RB.  He's built like a bodybuilder.  Little dude is stout.

I’ve always liked williams, but he isn’t a back that can play 20 games a season and expect him to be productive, and that’s totally fine.

he missed a good chunk of this season before returning at 100% for the playoff run, and that’s exactly what i want from him next year. He should go into next year knowing he won’t be the bell cow back the first 12 games of the year, but to be prepared to be a force the last 6-8 games.

Williams played a great game, sans the TD he gave up because he didn't get his head around.  He's an ok back, but he still sucks in the passing game.  The play where he didn't get his head around wasn't the first time that happened this season.  He's a hell of a lot better than West and Ware, but I wouldn't be extending his contract, I mean he was 16 carries for 66 yards before he broke the game sealing long run.  We could certainly do worse, but we need a legit young guy to come in and push for carries.  I think the euphoria of the Super Bowl win is clouding some judgement on him. 

9 minutes ago, moons314 said:

Williams played a great game, sans the TD he gave up because he didn't get his head around.  He's an ok back, but he still sucks in the passing game.  The play where he didn't get his head around wasn't the first time that happened this season.  He's a hell of a lot better than West and Ware, but I wouldn't be extending his contract, I mean he was 16 carries for 66 yards before he broke the game sealing long run.  We could certainly do worse, but we need a legit young guy to come in and push for carries.  I think the euphoria of the Super Bowl win is clouding some judgement on him. 

He made his living as a third down back up until last year. That's what he was known for. Being an excellent receiver out of the backfield.

2 hours ago, xen said:

Thompson hasn't been hurt really so not sure why'd you'd lump him in like that.  He may be small but dude is not built like a small RB.  He's built like a bodybuilder.  Little dude is stout.

Not lumping him in the injury category but your telling me you are fine with running him out there as the feature back if Williams goes down?   He might be built strong but his pass pro is a huge liability for Mahomes.   Don't get me wrong I love having him on the team but see him as our version of Ekeler.  

1 hour ago, moons314 said:

He has 11 post season TDs. The man comes to play to in the post season lol

7 hours ago, mex said:

He might not be the biggest nor the fastest nor the hardest to bring down... but the kid is pretty danged good

he can run the ball, he can break tackles, he's got edge speed, he has the hands for a vertical game which gives another weapon for Patrick...

and did y'all see how he picked up blitzes yesterday?  he was laying into dudes out there... solid in pass pro... I'd like to see us keep him around

Agree absolutely

1 hour ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

He made his living as a third down back up until last year. That's what he was known for. Being an excellent receiver out of the backfield.

Let me ask you this, just based on the eye test and your opinion, do you believe he's been an excellent receiver out of the backfield here?  Because I don't.  He's been pretty average IMO.   

1 minute ago, moons314 said:

Let me ask you this, just based on the eye test and your opinion, do you believe he's been an excellent receiver out of the backfield here?  Because I don't.  He's been pretty average IMO.   

I don't know if I would say excellent but I would say very good.  I think you're putting too much weight on plays like the one where he lost the ball last night (he motioned to something, I think he was saying he lost it in the lights).  That was bad, and there's been just a couple of those over the course of the season.  But he's made plenty of good plays in the passing game.

51 minutes ago, moons314 said:

I mean hes dropped a few and not been ready for a few. But overall I think he is a good receiver out of the backfield.

Damien isn't a very good runner either, and I've been saying this all year. The type of run plays that were called in the SB fit his skill set...which ended up being his best game yet. He's terrible in the RPO...good when we get him going downhill. 

I'm definitely interested to see if Weber can be competitive and challenge for a roster spot. 

With Patrick back there, any back who starts for us must not only be willing to block, but block well

this kid hits blitzers like zeke elliott... williams is the real deal

there was one play late in the game where he pounded bosa coming in from the left and then caught a ball in the flats for a first down

that play didn't get the credit it deserved