Damien Williams

17 hours ago, mex said:

He might not be the biggest nor the fastest nor the hardest to bring down... but the kid is pretty danged good

he can run the ball, he can break tackles, he's got edge speed, he has the hands for a vertical game which gives another weapon for Patrick...

and did y'all see how he picked up blitzes yesterday?  he was laying into dudes out there... solid in pass pro... I'd like to see us keep him around

Isn't he signed until 2021?

6 minutes ago, KC Warpaint said:

gordon will want way too much $$

Totally agree.  As nice as it would be to have an amazing RB, it's the wrong place to spend our resources.  We literally just showed that we can win a Super Bowl, against a good defense, with Damien.  If we want to keep using 3rd rounders as lottery tickets to find the next Kareem Hunt, that's fine.  But there is cheap value everywhere for RBs.  A Le'Veon Bell contract will keep us from doing the things we need to do with the OL and defense.

6 minutes ago, Adamixoye said:

Totally agree.  As nice as it would be to have an amazing RB, it's the wrong place to spend our resources.  We literally just showed that we can win a Super Bowl, against a good defense, with Damien.  If we want to keep using 3rd rounders as lottery tickets to find the next Kareem Hunt, that's fine.  But there is cheap value everywhere for RBs.  A Le'Veon Bell contract will keep us from doing the things we need to do with the OL and defense.

If you ask me I would only pick 3rd rounders as our star RBs. Our last 1st rounder was Larry Johnson and we found Jamaal Charles and Kareem Hunt in 3rd. This franchise should only select RBs in 3rd :)

3 minutes ago, Balto said:

No just 2020.  Then I’m afraid he will want more money than his worth.  Who knows......he might hold out this offseason?!?!

right, 1 more year.  I meant his contract expires in March 2021

7 minutes ago, Adamixoye said:

Think people forget that RB production hurt us this year.  Yes we won the SB so someone could say roll with Williams but with that mind set why not say we literally just showed we can win a Super Bowl, against a good defense, with our Oline?

I think a RB like Bell or David Johnson that thrive in the passing game could give us a upgrade in the run game so teams have to respect that but also replace Sammy’s production in the passing game.  

Where are you getting this?  He signed a two year extension at the end of last year.  He's definitely signed through 2021 unless you are referring to some de facto out / option year.

I’m saying he signed that in 2018 thus he has 1 more year....end of 2020 season

Think people forget that RB production hurt us this year.  Yes we won the SB so someone could say roll with Williams but with that mind set why not say we literally just showed we can win a Super Bowl, against a good defense, with our Oline?

I think a RB like Bell or David Johnson that thrive in the passing game could give us a upgrade in the run game so teams have to respect that but also replace Sammy’s production in the passing game.  

I'm pretty sure everyone would love an Ingram-like signing at RB (low cost high reward) as it would be a huge boost but the biggest production problem on offense came from the interior OL. Upgrading there is a lot more critical to the entire offense and will boost our running game right away.

It's always nice to find better RBs but it's simply a low priority right now. We could have been out of the SB race all together if Mahomes' injury lingered on.

Because the OL is the reason we almost didn't win.  Damien wasn't.

And how are we paying Patrick and Chris?

Should still not be a problem but I’d personally also trade Fisher and look to replace him.  Fishers value will never be higher atm and it seems teams are overpaying for tackles.  

Just now, Balto said:

Should still not be a problem but I’d personally also trade Fisher and look to replace him.  Fishers value will never be higher atm and it seems teams are overpaying for tackles.  

You're just making new holes by trading Fisher, who's maybe overpaid but solid, and assuming you can plug anyone in at LT.

1 minute ago, Adamixoye said:

Because the OL is the reason we almost didn't win.  Damien wasn't.

But we literally just won the super bowl with them hahaha

no I agree about the OL but just to look at Andy’s past he seems to have always got his interior line through mid round picks and skilled proven players in FA.

Just now, Adamixoye said:

You're just making new holes by trading Fisher, who's maybe overpaid but solid, and assuming you can plug anyone in at LT.

I think we can get at least a 1st for him if not more.  Fishers cap hit is doubling!  Going from what was about $7M to $14M.  I really don’t see Veach giving Fisher a top 5 tackle contract in a couple of years when his contract is up so we would be looking for a new guy anyways.  Why not get max value from him now and start that process?  

Think we all can agree that Fisher has gotten a lot better once Mahomes took over.....orrrrr is it Mahomes that makes him look better? Hmmmm

1 minute ago, Balto said:

But we literally just won the super bowl with them hahaha

no I agree about the OL but just to look at Andy’s past he seems to have always got his interior line through mid round picks and skilled proven players in FA.

Damien played better than the OL.  Except, ironically, on the last TD, I think that was more about the OL.

The other reason we almost lost was the LBs and general defensive depth.  Spend the money and draft picks in those slots.  We have so many decent FA on defense, we're going to have to make a lot of decisions about who is worth it and who isn't.  A top RB is a luxury and we just don't have room for luxuries.

13 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

Not lumping him in the injury category but your telling me you are fine with running him out there as the feature back if Williams goes down?   He might be built strong but his pass pro is a huge liability for Mahomes.   Don't get me wrong I love having him on the team but see him as our version of Ekeler.  

Think about it this way, Andy had access to one of the great RBs in history, who still has some juice, for these playoffs.  Yet he trotted out a late round rookie instead.  We've also seen him hold up in pass pro this season (albeit in limited snaps).

The kid I think is actually better running inside where his contact balance and short area quickness shines.  Remember he was a combine snub but his pro day results put him in the top 5 in the explosion events, as well as in the bench.  His 40 was around the same mark as Saquon Barkley.

Or how about this; he put on about 10 pounds this offseason so now he's 10 pounds heavier than Phillip Lindsay.  He's about the same weight as 'in his prime' Jamaal Charles.  He's 20 pounds heavier than Tarik Cohen.  He's about 5 pounds lighter than Christian McCaffrey.

The kid needed a year to get acclimated considering his college level of competition, but actually got more game time this year than I thought he would. 

You may not see it this year but you will at some point.

Now you are correct in that we don't know if he'll hold up at this level as a feature back, but we can say the same for any college running back.  It won't be because of his size if he fails though.

2 minutes ago, xen said:

Or how about this; he put on about 10 pounds this offseason so now he's 10 pounds heavier than Phillip Lindsay.  He's about the same weight as 'in his prime' Jamaal Charles.  He's 20 pounds heavier than Tarik Cohen.  He's about 5 pounds lighter than Christian McCaffrey.

To my eye, this literally cannot be right.  He looks so much smaller than most of those other guys, at least to me.  I'm wondering if it's who we see him next to on the field, but it's not like Patrick is a hulk.  Thompson *looks* smaller than Hill to me, and Hill already seems small.