Damien Williams

10 hours ago, kkuenn said:

Williams is signed already through next year. I would out Penell on this and then maybe one of our FA cb

Yep, Pennel should definitely be a priority. I would consider Ogbah as well, he did pretty good until the injury but we seem to be stacked at DE so it's probably a cost-based thing. This will be a very active offseason that's for sure. 

I think saying Williams or Jones should have been MVP is overthinking it.  They had great games, but I think you should always give the benefit of the doubt to the team's best player - this is why Steph Curry should have won the 2015 Finals MVP instead of Andre Iguodala.  Yes, Pat didn't have his greatest game but he's still the #1 reason that we won, and the 3rd and 15 throw was the single most important play.  Replace Williams or Jones with a league average player in that game and we *might* win.  Replace Mahomes with a league average player and we lose, no question.

29 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

at least your a consistent one trick pony

Williams won't be the long term answer and is under a good team friendly contract for 1 year.  If we can get great value I don't see how Veach can turn it down.

Williams is replaceable 

22 minutes ago, Balto said:

Williams won't be the long term answer and is under a good team friendly contract for 1 year.  If we can get great value I don't see how Veach can turn it down.

Williams is replaceable 

Sure. But he’s not expensive. I’d ride it one more year.

2 hours ago, Handswarmer said:

Based on his performance in the SB, i thought he should have been MVP. JMO

SB MVP, much like the Heisman are pretty much QB awards. That is unless a player single handedly wins the game for their team. Since Mahomes led the 4th quarter come from behind victory, Williams was going to have to have a SB record game. Had they won and Mahomes played like he did in the other 3 quarters Williams probably would have won.

The NFL tends to push the league in the direction they want. Mahomes being the perceived face of the league, left him as the only choice for SB MVP.

I would have been ok either way, hell I would have been ok will Sammy winning it as well.

2 hours ago, Balto said:

I'd say Williams had the better game...but MVP is not who had the best game its who was the most valuable player.  

The SB MVP is that games MVP and I understand the argument that Williams should have been the MVP. If it was the teams MVP then Honey Badger would have won it since he won the teams MVP.

13 minutes ago, Chiefsfan1963 said:

The SB MVP is that games MVP and I understand the argument that Williams should have been the MVP. If it was the teams MVP then Honey Badger would have won it since he won the teams MVP.

the two touchdowns that put us in the lead late in the fourth quarter came from the hands of the MVP 

2 minutes ago, Chiefmanzada said:

the two touchdowns that put us in the lead late in the fourth quarter came from the hands of the MVP 

I don't disagree, but one could say that without Williams effort they wouldn't have scored twice in the 4th.

It's a QB ran sport and they are the ones who will get the recognition and the blame rightfully so. Right or wrong everyone else is considered part of the supporting cast.

1 hour ago, Chiefsfan1963 said:

I don't disagree, but one could say that without Williams effort they wouldn't have scored twice in the 4th.

It's a QB ran sport and they are the ones who will get the recognition and the blame rightfully so. Right or wrong everyone else is considered part of the supporting cast.

Not with a straight face they couldn't.  The Chiefs had done that multiple times over the course of this past season, and there were multiple players who came through in those situations.  I don't say this in an attempt to demean Williams, but he's seriously like the 5th or 6th option in the offense, and the leading carrier for a rushing offense that was abysmal all year long.  He was averaging 4.1 ypc in the Super Bowl before he broke that final run.  Again, I'm not saying he's a bad player, but his numbers are pedestrian and he's probably the most replaceable player on offense in terms of skill positions.  

10 hours ago, Adamixoye said:

I think saying Williams or Jones should have been MVP is overthinking it.  They had great games, but I think you should always give the benefit of the doubt to the team's best player - this is why Steph Curry should have won the 2015 Finals MVP instead of Andre Iguodala.  Yes, Pat didn't have his greatest game but he's still the #1 reason that we won, and the 3rd and 15 throw was the single most important play.  Replace Williams or Jones with a league average player in that game and we *might* win.  Replace Mahomes with a league average player and we lose, no question.

Williams not only had stellar stats but he came up huge at crucial times including phenomenal plays on both of our last two TDs.  Nobody in this game was more crucial to this win. Except for Mahomes.

MVP isn’t just about stats of which Mahomes had two of the longest pass plays of the season vs 49ers in the last 7 minutes of the Super Bowl. 49ers players on the sideline truly looked rattled after WASP. “What happened?” George Kittle said in dismay. And who’s idea was the play call. Mahomes. 

Go read the quotes from players on both sides of the ball and it was Mahomes leadership that kept this team believing even as we were trying to figure things out and the 49ers were milking clock in victory mode.  Once we scored and got back in it watching him on the sidelines was just magic. “We are scoring every drive the rest of the game.”  It’s just the stuff of legend. The reason he was not only MVP of this game,  but also why he’s the best player in the entire league. 

2 hours ago, moons314 said:

Not with a straight face they couldn't.  The Chiefs had done that multiple times over the course of this past season, and there were multiple players who came through in those situations.  I don't say this in an attempt to demean Williams, but he's seriously like the 5th or 6th option in the offense, and the leading carrier for a rushing offense that was abysmal all year long.  He was averaging 4.1 ypc in the Super Bowl before he broke that final run.  Again, I'm not saying he's a bad player, but his numbers are pedestrian and he's probably the most replaceable player on offense in terms of skill positions.  

Do you realize in his 5 playoff games in Kansas City he’s scored TEN TDs?  Think about that. Andy made him a big time part of the game plan and gave him the ball in the most crucial situations in this game. This wasn’t just a 5th or 6th option.  He was an absolutely crucial piece.  Andy trusted him so much nobody else got meaningful touches and Shady wasn’t even active.  I think you are really selling him short in my opinion. 
He’s not a great RB (or even that good overall). But he’s consistently been great when we really needed him to be. 

11 hours ago, Balto said:

I agree unless Veach can get ok trade value

I doubt any team will trade for Williams. He got to a point where he would be a decent FA pickup but definitely not the guy to carry a team as the featured back throughout the season. If some GM is dumb enough to give up a decent pick then we definitely trade Williams and let him earn big bucks elsewhere as he won't do that here. This regime has been great with RBs from day one and I'm sure they will get Thompson to a decent level by TC or find a no-name guy to turn into a productive back soon. 

14 hours ago, Chiefsfan1963 said:

Team MVP was voted on by the players and is more of a leadership award.  Clearly, no one can honestly say that Mahomes isn't head and shoulders above the rest of the team in terms of talent and why we've been as good as we have the last two years - MVP on the field for sure.

1 hour ago, Adamixoye said:

Team MVP was voted on by the players and is more of a leadership award.  Clearly, no one can honestly say that Mahomes isn't head and shoulders above the rest of the team in terms of talent and why we've been as good as we have the last two years - MVP on the field for sure.

Who votes on the SB MVP, a couple of announcers?