Damien Williams

23 minutes ago, Balto said:

Again......it’s called most valuable player!

How many other QBs in the NFL could of done what Mahomes did in this Super Bowl?  Not many 

How many other RBs in the NFL could of done what Williams did in the Super Bowl?  Exactly

MOST VALUABLE PLAYER......NOT......PLAYED BEST GAME

If Frank Clark got like 5 sacks he woulda been MVP BUT HE AINT MVP OF THE TEAM PATRICK IS  

3 hours ago, Balto said:

Again......it’s called most valuable player!

How many other QBs in the NFL could of done what Mahomes did in this Super Bowl?  Not many 

How many other RBs in the NFL could of done what Williams did in the Super Bowl?  Exactly

MOST VALUABLE PLAYER......NOT......PLAYED BEST GAME

Kareem Hunt could've done it

Also, Damien's final TD was actually the wrong play.  I was wrong about this until I looked at it again this morning, as I wasn't thinking correctly about the number of TOs SF had.

If Damien gets the first down and goes down, then SF has to use TO #2 before our 1st down play.  Then they only have one TO left with just over a minute of clock.  Three kneel downs will do it then.

It was awesome and fun to watch and I enjoyed the Fuller interception and the fact that we scored 31 and won by 11.  But technically his TD gave SF more life compared to the kneel downs we could have done.

4 minutes ago, Adamixoye said:

Also, Damien's final TD was actually the wrong play.  I was wrong about this until I looked at it again this morning, as I wasn't thinking correctly about the number of TOs SF had.

If Damien gets the first down and goes down, then SF has to use TO #2 before our 1st down play.  Then they only have one TO left with just over a minute of clock.  Three kneel downs will do it then.

It was awesome and fun to watch and I enjoyed the Fuller interception and the fact that we scored 31 and won by 11.  But technically his TD gave SF more life compared to the kneel downs we could have done.

Hard to say it was the WRONG PLAY as scoring is hardly ever wrong but  n this case it might not of been the preferable play as  you mentioned  taking more time off the clock in that situation would of been nice.

28 minutes ago, xen said:

That's a great point.  MVP lost some run yards at the end due to those funky dropback kneeldowns at the end, which btw were an awesome and smart way to eat some extra clock.

And just for the record, because the clock stopped on the interception, that's why we had to run four plays at the end.  SF still had two timeouts to get us to 3rd down with 0:51 on the clock.  We took our own TO to do the one last play (Pat's heave) without a punt.

If Damien goes down, then SF uses a TO to stop it at around 1:15 (he scored at 1:12).  Then they only have one left, that's not enough to prevent us from kneeling it out.

2 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Hard to say it was the WRONG PLAY as scoring is hardly ever wrong but  n this case it might not of been the preferable play as  you mentioned  taking more time off the clock in that situation would of been nice.

Only one time in my life have I ever seen a team lose when they're kneeling it out, that was the MNF game where Rivers fumbled the snap.  That wasn't even a regular kneel down because they were going for a last second FG, but because of the fumble it went to overtime and we won.  Kneeling down with the lead, which we could have done, I've never seen a loss and I'm wondering if there's ever been one in history.

Compare that to kicking off with over a minute to a team that has two time outs.  Even in a two score game, they have a shot, however remote, to score-onsides-score.  So I'd still say wrong play because it unquestionably hurt our win probability.  But our win probability was really high either way so it's hard to fault him for going on instinct and making the score.

Having an elite QB is something we can never take for granted. He’s nearly always the true MVP even as we look for pieces around him who also played well. 

Geoff Schwartz

·
3h

Chiefs fans ... it’s 24-20 in the Super Bowl with 1:25 left Rushing yards Willams 62 Mahomes 44 ... Williams breaks a long run to seal the game and y’all want to give him the MVP? Oh man.

2 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:
Having an elite QB is something we can never take for granted. He’s nearly always the true MVP even as we look for pieces around him who also played well. 

Geoff Schwartz

·
3h

Chiefs fans ... it’s 24-20 in the Super Bowl with 1:25 left Rushing yards Willams 62 Mahomes 44 ... Williams breaks a long run to seal the game and y’all want to give him the MVP? Oh man.

and after all Williams made the wrong play by scoring that TD..man o man what are people thinking??

33 minutes ago, Adamixoye said:

Only one time in my life have I ever seen a team lose when they're kneeling it out, that was the MNF game where Rivers fumbled the snap.  That wasn't even a regular kneel down because they were going for a last second FG,l

Compare that to kicking off with over a minute to a team that has two time outs.  Even in a two score game, they have a shot, however remote, to score-onsides-score.  So I'd still say wrong play because it unquestionably hurt our win probability.  But our win probability was really high either way so it's hard to fault him for going on instinct and making the score.

That was one crazy mistake riddled game. Matt Cassel threw three INTs   Rivers fumbled again in OT. The kneel down fumble was helped along by the Royals “accidentally” shooting fireworks off right before the snap.  It was nuts. On point it seems like Mahomes fumbled a kneel down last year but got it back.  
I can’t remember anyone blowing it other than the Miracle at the Meadowlands where for some reason the Giants decided not to kneel. But even then the QB couldn’t just give himself up like today.  I know Brandon Weeden fumbled a kneel down in college but it didn’t impact outcome. It’s such an easy operation and other than Greg Schiano teams usually just let it happen. 
Because of this in the Chiefs case Williams probably should have gone down at the 1 because of this. But it’s probably splitting hairs on how far the 99.9% chance of winning could be improved by either action. 

1 minute ago, Mloe68 said:

That was one crazy mistake riddled game. Matt Cassel threw three INTs   Rivers fumbled again in OT. The kneel down fumble was helped along by the Royals “accidentally” shooting fireworks off right before the snap.  It was nuts. On point it seems like Mahomes fumbled a kneel down last year but got it back.  
I can’t remember anyone blowing it other than the Miracle at the Meadowlands where for some reason the Giants decided not to kneel. But even then the QB couldn’t just give himself up like today.  I know Brandon Weeden fumbled a kneel down in college but it didn’t impact outcome. It’s such an easy operation and other than Greg Schiano teams usually just let it happen. 
Because of this in the Chiefs case Williams probably should have gone down at the 1 because of this. But it’s probably splitting hairs on how far the 99.9% chance of winning could be improved by either action. 

My understanding of the Miracle at the Meadowlands was that teams didn't really kneel down at that time (or at least it was frowned upon), and that's what really started the trend of kneeling instead of just doing running plays - Wikipedia seems to confirm this.  But the play was literally before I was born, by a couple of years.

Totally agree with your last sentence, even though I raised the issue.  Going for the TD instead of giving himself up was the wrong move in terms of win probability, but it's splitting hairs, a very low-stakes difference.

26 minutes ago, Adamixoye said:

My understanding of the Miracle at the Meadowlands was that teams didn't really kneel down at that time (or at least it was frowned upon), and that's what really started the trend of kneeling instead of just doing running plays - Wikipedia seems to confirm this.  But the play was literally before I was born, by a couple of years.

Totally agree with your last sentence, even though I raised the issue.  Going for the TD instead of giving himself up was the wrong move in terms of win probability, but it's splitting hairs, a very low-stakes difference.

Regardless of whether Williams should have gone down to avoid slightly decreasing our odds, I think it was more important for him to do it.  It plunged the dagger in all the old disasters and conservative play in Chiefs history, was crucial for the Chiefs psychology going forward into the decade, removed the feeling of being cursed in the fans, and fulfilled the promise he made to Schwartz ( I think)  in the huddle to take it to the house.  Overall, it reinforced the new attitude the team will carry forward.  So, I don't go for the odds analysis thing. It was totally inspiring.  Winning by 11 points after being down 10 with less than 7 minutes to go will continue to feed the anxiety our opponents will feel, and that will hurt 'em.

2 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Regardless of whether Williams should have gone down to avoid slightly decreasing our odds, I think it was more important for him to do it.  It plunged the dagger in all the old disasters and conservative play in Chiefs history, was crucial for the Chiefs psychology going forward into the decade, removed the feeling of being cursed in the fans, and fulfilled the promise he made to Schwartz ( I think)  in the huddle to take it to the house.  Overall, it reinforced the new attitude the team will carry forward.  So, I don't go for the odds analysis thing.

As I said above, I agree that it was more fun to watch the way that it happened.

40 minutes ago, Adamixoye said:

The Giants actually kneeled on first down but abandoned that on second down after a very physical exchange. Again the QB had to actually be touched then. Today the risk is clearly far less with the QBs ability to give himself up. The way teams put a WR or RB deep is further protection. I’m sure somebody at some point will mess this up. But it’s going to take a mental error of epic proportions. 

Just now, Handswarmer said:

Same could be said of the Chiefs for 5o years prior. Doesn't make it any less true.

in the words of the great Albert Einstein, "that doesn't matter." 

have fun crawling ur way back to the AFC divisional game cuz anyone who is a football fan knows for damn sure it ain't a cake walk. shoulda capitalized baby but u didn't. 

Just now, Chiefmanzada said:

in the words of the great Albert Einstein, "that doesn't matter." 

have fun crawling ur way back to the AFC divisional game cuz anyone who is a football fan knows for damn sure it ain't a cake walk. shoulda capitalized baby but u didn't. 

the braggadocio is stunning.....

Chiefs have been to 3 AFCCG in 50 years. Ravens have been to 4 AFCCG in 24 with 2 SB's.

Enjoy your win