I don't think its a good idea for any team to give 100 million dollar contracts to two players on the defensive line.  Frank Clark has proven to be a leader on the defense along with honey badger.   The Chiefs could sure use some extra cheap talent that would come with the draft picks they trade Jones for.   They got their trophy, Its not the time to mortgage the future.  It's a better idea to keep the roster fresh with young, cheaper talent.    If Dee Ford was worth a second round pick, then what is Jones value?  A first and a third?   The smart move is to tag and trade him.   He's a great player, but the Chiefs made the decision when they paid Clark.    

I think its a pick your poison.  This team has a unique chemistry and Chris Jones is a great offset for the intensity of HB and Clark.   Gotta have balance.   He's an absolute stud and one of the best in the league.   I'd rather pay the stud then sign 2-3 average guys.   Why was the 49ers D so good because of that front 4.   You can hide the back end a heck of a lot easier  than the other way around.   Fill the holes at LB's with cheap FA's and draft picks as well as those db spots.   Don't mess with that front 4.  If he's asking for the moon then tag him.   The new CBA will help us if we get it done now.   

Keep Jones and sign what you can from what we have like Penell. Then go after a LB for raglands replacement or move hitchens to his spot and draft for hitchens spot then. We also get a chance to see Speaks and a healthy okafor next year too.

1 hour ago, Lamardirts said:

I think its a pick your poison.  This team has a unique chemistry and Chris Jones is a great offset for the intensity of HB and Clark.   Gotta have balance.   He's an absolute stud and one of the best in the league.   I'd rather pay the stud then sign 2-3 average guys.   Why was the 49ers D so good because of that front 4.   You can hide the back end a heck of a lot easier  than the other way around.   Fill the holes at LB's with cheap FA's and draft picks as well as those db spots.   Don't mess with that front 4.  If he's asking for the moon then tag him.   The new CBA will help us if we get it done now.   

Money has a history of killing chemistry.  When you have a bunch of high priced guys you don't have the role players.  We're in that position that NE often found themselves in, you win a super bowl and you have a bunch of guys wanting to get paid.  A lot of tough decisions coming.  If it takes 100 million for Chris Jones to stay, I personally wouldn't do it. It would be a killer in a couple of years when we have 40% of our salary tied up in like 3-4 players.  

I don't see how you allow a talent like Jones to walk. He's top 3 at his position, a known commodity and a home grown talent. You don't just replace guys like that... how many years had we been drafting to find someone who can create pressure up the middle? 

I'm hoping Veach can do some creative voodoo magic with the cap to keep him. 

The Patriot way is to let them go.  Trey Flowers for them last year was a similar situation.   There is no way we win with 2/3 of our cap tied up by 8 or 9 players.  Mahomes 40 million.   Clark 20, Jones 20, Hill 20, Matthiue and Fisher 15 each.  Kelce and Hitchens 12 each.  Schartz 11 million.  Thats over 140 million tied up in 9 players.   Several of those guys are pushing up on or over 30 years old too.  

29 minutes ago, beltranfan said:

The Patriot way is to let them go.  Trey Flowers for them last year was a similar situation.   There is no way we win with 2/3 of our cap tied up by 8 or 9 players.  Mahomes 40 million.   Clark 20, Jones 20, Hill 20, Matthiue and Fisher 15 each.  Kelce and Hitchens 12 each.  Schartz 11 million.  Thats over 140 million tied up in 9 players.   Several of those guys are pushing up on or over 30 years old too.  

Trey Flowers isn't Chris Jones.   We don't win the SB without him.  Hitchens was a bad signing by Veach and probably someone Sutton wanted but we get rid of his contract after this upcoming year.   Fisher is a guy the Pats would let go.  A good player on a great team that you don't oversign.   Did they pay Gronk or did they let him walk?  Did they pay Gilmore or did they let him walk?   There are certain guys you have to pay and keep around and I think Chris Jones is one of those guys.  I know y'all disagree and I'll trust Veach as we will have to start doing things like the Pats in that sense, but I don't think this is the guy you do that with.  Sammy Watkins, Hitchens, Fisher sure......Jones no.

Cap is the #1 rule in the NFL. We can't keep everyone and even though Jones is a very critical guy for our interior pass rush we might have to let him leave. I want him to stay but with the reality of Mahomes' deal we might be better off getting a couple 1sts for Jones and try to replace him through the draft.

We must sign Pennel though, he has been way too critical this year and definitely a keeper.

11 hours ago, beltranfan said:

I don't think its a good idea for any team to give 100 million dollar contracts to two players on the defensive line.  Frank Clark has proven to be a leader on the defense along with honey badger.   The Chiefs could sure use some extra cheap talent that would come with the draft picks they trade Jones for.   They got their trophy, Its not the time to mortgage the future.  It's a better idea to keep the roster fresh with young, cheaper talent.    If Dee Ford was worth a second round pick, then what is Jones value?  A first and a third?   The smart move is to tag and trade him.   He's a great player, but the Chiefs made the decision when they paid Clark.    

Those blocked passes , especially on third down are game changers. Sign this guy.

Is Chris Jones really going to get $100 million?  A few things to remember...

1)  Mahomes DOES NOT have to be extended this off-season.  KC can wait.  The $ isn't a big deal.  He would've been the highest paid player anyway and this gives KC another 12 months to prepare for it.

2)  The Chiefs could franchise tag Jones as well and have him play under that for 1 season if they had to.

7 hours ago, sith13 said:

Cap is the #1 rule in the NFL. We can't keep everyone and even though Jones is a very critical guy for our interior pass rush we might have to let him leave. I want him to stay but with the reality of Mahomes' deal we might be better off getting a couple 1sts for Jones and try to replace him through the draft.

We must sign Pennel though, he has been way too critical this year and definitely a keeper.

I doubt a team will give up 2 #1s knowing they also have to pay the guy. Yes KC won the superbowl so the Clark trade worked out FANTASTIC for this year. Now however, KC may lose a top guy JONES as a result. 

1 minute ago, FANATIC said:

I doubt a team will give up 2 #1s knowing they also have to pay the guy. Yes KC won the superbowl so the Clark trade worked out FANTASTIC for this year. Now however, KC may lose a top guy JONES as a result. 

if the team you are trading him to has a ton of cap space then that is their choice, i would like to keep him as well but if we pay him and all these guys get old at the same time that is not a good mix for success, need to keep re-inventing, that helped New England stay relevant for as long as they have

Kansas City will look for relief. Sammy Watkins and Anthony Hitchens have wildly disappointed on pricey contracts from 2018, and cutting Watkins (if he doesn't step away, as he suggested he might this week) would save $14 million. Hitchens, however, restructured his deal in September and will count $12.7 million against the cap in 2020 barring a post-June 1 release, which would push $8.4 million of that into 2021.

Modest savings could be found elsewhere. Laurent Duvernay-Tardif ($4.9 million savings), Cameron Erving ($4.7 million), Daniel Sorensen ($3.75 million) and Damien Wilson ($3 million) could be released, but that would leave nearly $6 million in dead money and some depth issues on the O-line.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/take-5-biggest-threats-to-reign-of-chiefs-mahomes/ar-BBZBSUY?li=BBnb7Kz

We are stuck with Hitchens for 20 and 21.  Look at his contract.  They don't save anything cutting him.   Maybe a post June 1 cut after next season.  Still would be a lot of dead money.   After next season, fisher, Schawrtz, Honey Badger, Tyreke, Kelcie, and Okafer could all easily be cut without big cap hits

20 minutes ago, beltranfan said:

We are stuck with Hitchens for 20 and 21.  Look at his contract.  They don't save anything cutting him.   Maybe a post June 1 cut after next season.  Still would be a lot of dead money.   After next season, fisher, Schawrtz, Honey Badger, Tyreke, Kelcie, and Okafer could all easily be cut without big cap hits

There is no post 1 June cuts as the CBA is expiring. We will wait to sign Mahomes next year with the new CBA. We also have the opportunity to use both our tags this year as there is no CBA. There is a lot we can do here and getting rid of players to go under more on the cap should happen so we can sign those good FA we need, draft and extend those like HB, Schwartz etc above.

I would love to keep Chris Jones, without him batting those three balls in the 4th quarter, I don't know if we win this game.  It will definitely take some creativity to sign him.  Maybe front load his contract next year so we can use up a lot of the cap on his contract before we have to add Mahomes' contract to the cap the following year.

But we have a lot of other free agents that will need to be signed or their replacements found.    According to Spotrac we have about $19,000,000 in cap with only 47 players showing against the cap.

I am hoping we can keep Watkins with a reworked deal.

Breeland, Fuller, and Claiborne are free agents and we had them under cheap contracts. Breeland and Fuller will for sure be looking for a lot more money. Right now we only really have Ward and Fenton under contract. 

2 hours ago, VIChiefsFan said:

I would love to keep Chris Jones, without him batting those three balls in the 4th quarter, I don't know if we win this game.  It will definitely take some creativity to sign him.  Maybe front load his contract next year so we can use up a lot of the cap on his contract before we have to add Mahomes' contract to the cap the following year.

But we have a lot of other free agents that will need to be signed or their replacements found.    According to Spotrac we have about $19,000,000 in cap with only 47 players showing against the cap.

Breeland, Fuller, and Claiborne are free agents and we had them under cheap contracts. Breeland and Fuller will for sure be looking for a lot more money. Right now we only really have Ward and Fenton under contract. 

Sign Breeland and draft a CB in the first round.  Having Fuller and Breeland would be nice, but probably not affordable. 

I mean I guess we could cut Watkins and then have about $34M in cap for 2020.  Take $4m away for draftees and then just give Jones a new deal that included $30M upfront?  This would take all our cap but would also lower his cap hit over all the following years.

I'd still trade him, Fisher and Watkins away if it was me haha

4 hours ago, jetlord said:

Sign Breeland and draft a CB in the first round.  Having Fuller and Breeland would be nice, but probably not affordable. 

With the Thornhill situation, I actually look for them to re-sign Fuller rather than Breeland, because of his versatility to play FS.

6 hours ago, VIChiefsFan said:

I think we can rework Watkins' contract to gain more space.  Can we restructure to give him more bonus next year?  I've said on here a few times:  I watched the highlights from every game this year and I think Watkins is much more valuable than a lot of us give him credit for.

I do not think we win the SB without Jones playing.  His presence was big.

I'm ok with Ward & Fenton.  They were excellent this year.  I'd like to see us sign 2 out of the 3 CBs you listed (or at least 1 of the 3).  I don't think we need Claiborne.  The dude was inactive for several games this year.