NFL Media's Tom Pelissero reports the Chiefs want to figure out how to keep Sammy Watkins in 2020.

This may be the Chiefs thinking optimistically while celebrating their Super Bowl victory, but a decision will have to be made on Watkins' upcoming $14 million salary in the next few weeks. Watkins didn't play like a $14 million receiver last season, and he can be cut outright without any dead money. With that option on the table, Watkins will likely have to take a pay cut to remain on the team moving forward. If released, Watkins will be a boom-or-bust signing this offseason. That, of course, assumes Watkins wants to continue playing.

8 hours ago, jetlord said:

What will he cost next year?  He shouldn't be expected to sign on the cheap, but he might give a home town discount.

Can’t be too much. He’s a role player, but a really big role player. Chiefs changed when he started playing.

14 hours ago, FANATIC said:

Kansas City will look for relief. Sammy Watkins and Anthony Hitchens have wildly disappointed on pricey contracts from 2018, and cutting Watkins (if he doesn't step away, as he suggested he might this week) would save $14 million. Hitchens, however, restructured his deal in September and will count $12.7 million against the cap in 2020 barring a post-June 1 release, which would push $8.4 million of that into 2021.

Modest savings could be found elsewhere. Laurent Duvernay-Tardif ($4.9 million savings), Cameron Erving ($4.7 million), Daniel Sorensen ($3.75 million) and Damien Wilson ($3 million) could be released, but that would leave nearly $6 million in dead money and some depth issues on the O-line.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/take-5-biggest-threats-to-reign-of-chiefs-mahomes/ar-BBZBSUY?li=BBnb7Kz

Wilson is the best lb. that would be a mistake 

On 2/4/2020 at 7:29 AM, FANATIC said:

I doubt a team will give up 2 #1s knowing they also have to pay the guy. Yes KC won the superbowl so the Clark trade worked out FANTASTIC for this year. Now however, KC may lose a top guy JONES as a result. 

Bears did for Mack

What about a extension for Watkins?  Say something like 4 years $42M with like $28M guaranteed.  Then STILL keep his 2020 cap hit at the $21/M like it is now.  This would then give him a $7M cap over  the next three years plus can cut/trade after two.

This would fit into the cap if we wait till CBA for Pat and tag Jones. 

Can we start putting a fork in the narrative that Chris Jones can't play the run?  He was actually must better against the run as the year went on.  Considering how much of the offseason he missed, he did really damn well.

Not sure if I prefer to pay or trade him (I guess it would depend on the compensation) but there's no doubt he is a gameplan wrecker.

1 hour ago, Balto said:

What about a extension for Watkins?  Say something like 4 years $42M with like $28M guaranteed.  Then STILL keep his 2020 cap hit at the $21/M like it is now.  This would then give him a $7M cap over  the next three years plus can cut/trade after two.

This would fit into the cap if we wait till CBA for Pat and tag Jones. 

I was thinking 3/27 with $18 guaranteed at best.   I'd prefer to pay for Chris Jones as I think replacing Watkins would be a lot easier than replacing Jones.   

He will be tagged for sure. I would let him play on the tag too. Then tag him again the next year and if we cant sign him, trade him then. Unless some one comes up with a huge deal, I would have him here next year as a tagged player.

https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2020/02/07/kansas-city-chiefs-biggest-offseason-question-pending-free-agent-dt-chris-jones/

In the aftermath of Super LIV, the Kansa City Chiefs will be tasked with creating a roster to defend their Super Bowl title. With that in mind, one question is burning in every fan throughout the Chiefs Kingdom. Will star defensive tackle Chris Jones be back with the Chiefs in 2020?

Jones is a pending free agent and is set to command a large contract. Staying in Kansas City has always been the plan according to Jones. He knows the fans see the passion that he plays with and the passion that he has for Kansas City. At the same time, he recognizes the business side of things doesn’t always align.

“[Staying in Kansas City has] always been the plan,” Jones said leading up to the Super Bowl. “I try not to think about it because you know the business side of it. That’s why I don’t really talk about it. I don’t really think about it. I just focus on the season and I let my agent handle that.”

Jones, of course, changed his tune a bit in the locker room after the Super Bowl victory. If Brett Veach had a contract prepared at that moment, Jones might have signed on the dotted line.

“I want to be in Kansas City forever,” Jones exclaimed after the Super Bowl win. “I know I don’t talk about this… but I want to be in Kansas City forever and ever. We’re going to build an (expletive) dynasty in Kansas City, man. We’re like the Golden State Warriors. We’re going for a back to back.”

So what will happen with Kansas City and Jones? Some of the options on the table include:

• A long term contract extension
  • Franchise tag
  • Tag and trade
  • Let him walk in free agency

Right now, some are projecting that Jones could land an average salary somewhere between Fletcher Cox and Aaron Donald. That’d put him at around a $20 million average salary annually. That number would almost certainly price out the Chiefs with a mega-extension for QB Patrick Mahomes on the way.

The franchise tag would be a much more appealing option to Kansas City, with the number for defensive tackles being projected at $15.5 million. If Jones is true to his word and wants to remain in Kansas City it’s possible that he signs the franchise tag. On the other hand, if he can truly earn $20 million or more on the free-agent market, it’d be unwise from a business perspective to leave that money on the table.

You can basically rule out Jones walking in free agency because the Chiefs don’t want to see him in the AFC. He’s already been linked to the Colts because of former Chiefs front-office executive Chris Ballard. Instead, the tag and trade scenario would be the option here. That way the Chiefs can get ample return for Jones and ensure he goes to a team in the NFC. Look for teams such as the Buccaneers, Cowboys, Seahawks and Cardinals to reach out if this possibility becomes a reality. Those teams have ample cap space and need at the interior defensive line positions.

Pat sets the precedent here.  If he takes less than his market value then I could see Jones and Watkins follow suit but if the CBA drags on that won’t be possible.  I know 3 million is a lot between Grady Jarretts 17m per a d the 20 he is supposedly seeking but if you aren’t an idiot that is generational money in one year and he’ll be guaranteed probably 3 years at that.   At the end of the day we can continue to win SBs without either.  It might be more difficult but if we let both walk/trade we can replace them with 2-3 above average guys and a young rookie top pick.  I’d hate to lose Jones but all is not lost if we do.   Veach has the benefit of doubt.

17 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

We lose Jones we will gain somw draft picks for it. Money saved off of Watkins will also allow us to go to the FA and pick up a great vet or 2 and then we draft for what is needed from there.

Agreed and I think we could get at least a back end 1st for him.  And while it might seem hard I think we can still be better on D without him if some guys continue to develop like Kpass, Nnadi, Saunders and Speaks and we draft well and upgrade the LB Corp.   Still hope we can figure a way to keep him at a reasonable contract.

22 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

Agreed and I think we could get at least a back end 1st for him.  And while it might seem hard I think we can still be better on D without him if some guys continue to develop like Kpass, Nnadi, Saunders and Speaks and we draft well and upgrade the LB Corp.   Still hope we can figure a way to keep him at a reasonable contract.

It better be a mid 1st and 2nd the next year at minimum for him. If not tag and let him play another year. Watkins savings would pay for that.

How much would the difference between $15 million and $20 million mean if one means staying in a place where you are happy and have a chance to reach the peak of your profession and the other is just more money doing your job?  At my age, I know the answer, but in my twenties, it might be different.  Either way, Jones will have more than he or his future kids can ever spend unless he goes crazy and then it won't matter.  How much will a percentage seeking agent influence the decision?  

Soooo many options to keep who ever.

Im coming around on trying to keep Jones as he just seems like a guy who truly loves football and won’t give up after his pay day.

Still think we can flip Fisher for at least a 1st round pick.  His contract is going from $7M this year to about $14M next.  Trading him would gain enough cap to honestly make it easier to keep both Jones and Watkins.  Then turn around and use a 1st or 2nd on Fisher’s replacement and get a cheap vet in FA to help the rookie along....maybe a guy like Peters from Philly would come for a year?

You could get Jones to sign for 16 or 17 million if you show him more guaranteed money. This way our hit stays low but he is going to make more than being cut in year 3 or 4 if it was way to high to eat. The guaranteed is what he should worry about.

57 minutes ago, Balto said:

Soooo many options to keep who ever.

Im coming around on trying to keep Jones as he just seems like a guy who truly loves football and won’t give up after his pay day.

Still think we can flip Fisher for at least a 1st round pick.  His contract is going from $7M this year to about $14M next.  Trading him would gain enough cap to honestly make it easier to keep both Jones and Watkins.  Then turn around and use a 1st or 2nd on Fisher’s replacement and get a cheap vet in FA to help the rookie along....maybe a guy like Peters from Philly would come for a year?

really?? he made $15 Mil last year 10 mil of which was guaranteed  and is 38 

On 2/3/2020 at 11:08 PM, beltranfan said:

The Patriot way is to let them go.  Trey Flowers for them last year was a similar situation.   There is no way we win with 2/3 of our cap tied up by 8 or 9 players.  Mahomes 40 million.   Clark 20, Jones 20, Hill 20, Matthiue and Fisher 15 each.  Kelce and Hitchens 12 each.  Schartz 11 million.  Thats over 140 million tied up in 9 players.   Several of those guys are pushing up on or over 30 years old too.  

A lot of teams over the years will pick up some excellent players from the Chiefs that we can't afford.  I will be very discouraging to us, but with an all-galaxy QB, a roster of young, cheap first contract guys who are super well coached and about 4-5 star leaders will be all that is needed to keep making the playoffs and beyond.  I agree with the comments about the D-line.  Also true about the O-line.  Fast WR's don't have to be incredible. If they are fast and have good hands, Mahomes will build chemistry.  We are in an era where we protect a great O and have a merely decent D with a couple of leaders.  That's fine.  We saw where the opposite got us all those decades.

I don’t think you can cut Fish. He is over paid but putting Mahomes at more risk is a tough pil to swallow. 

Jones is a home grown talent near the top of the league at his position. His pass rush ability can’t be replaced in the draft or FA. But the same was true about Houston.

Jones was healthy for 13 games with 9 sacks and 36 tackles. 
Houston was healthy for all 16 with 22 sacks and 69 tackles. 

Just saying injuries happen and it is a huge chunk of change to have in one player. Tag him and see what happens.

This may sound crazy, but how about we extend Jones and exercise 5th year on Mahomes, and tag him twice? Obviously the numbers significantly increase for Mahomes with this idea....the rumored 40 per may very well jump to 45-50+. I was on the fence on keeping Jones, but the Jones/Pennel tandem is downright dangerous. 

3 hours ago, ChiefThunder said:

This may sound crazy, but how about we extend Jones and exercise 5th year on Mahomes, and tag him twice? Obviously the numbers significantly increase for Mahomes with this idea....the rumored 40 per may very well jump to 45-50+. I was on the fence on keeping Jones, but the Jones/Pennel tandem is downright dangerous. 

Don’t think pissing off Mahomes is the right path...

1 hour ago, ChiefThunder said:

I dont think it'll be pissing off Mahomes tbh...maybe missing off his agent lol. I'm sure Mahomes knows what has to give to keep a championship team together

Think you greatly underestimating how much players like deals longer than 1 year.  I see zero chance of Mahomes getting tagged twice..like neg % if I could go lower.