11 hours ago, ChiefThunder said:

This may sound crazy, but how about we extend Jones and exercise 5th year on Mahomes, and tag him twice? Obviously the numbers significantly increase for Mahomes with this idea....the rumored 40 per may very well jump to 45-50+. I was on the fence on keeping Jones, but the Jones/Pennel tandem is downright dangerous. 

This is maybe the dumbest post I have ever seen, and that is saying a lot. 

He has it the other way around. I say we tag Jones twice, he plays here next yesr at 15 to 17 million on the tag and then we tag and trade him the 2nd year if we cant resign him. Mahomes will be extended after next season or when the CBA is done.

44 minutes ago, West said:

We MUST extend Patrick....All else is dopey.

Mahomes is the FRANCHISE.

w

They'll extend Mahomes, but it may not be before the FA  period.  Sources say nothing will be done on Mahomes contract until after the new CBA is done and who knows if that will be soon.  My guess now is that the Chiefs keep Jones, let Sammy go, and then try to sign some lesser players like Breeland, Pennel, Williams, and Wilson.  Don't now how many if any they can get if they have Mahomes and Jones under contract.

If Clark wasn’t just blowing smoke in those interviews about the 12 to 18 month timeframe for Mahomes contract then the price will definitely be higher but it also means that he is waiting till after the CBA gets done.   He knows their is a chance we could win it again next year with Mahomes winning SB mvp again.  How much is a 2x SB winner and MVP worth who probably even after next hasn’t hit his prime at the age of 25.   So why wait?

Is it possible Clark knows something that would help the team?  Maybe they are talking about something like the Bird rule like the NBA has, unless it’s Pats agent that is saying let’s wait which would make sense as well.  

7 hours ago, jetlord said:

They'll extend Mahomes, but it may not be before the FA  period.  Sources say nothing will be done on Mahomes contract until after the new CBA is done and who knows if that will be soon.  My guess now is that the Chiefs keep Jones, let Sammy go, and then try to sign some lesser players like Breeland, Pennel, Williams, and Wilson.  Don't now how many if any they can get if they have Mahomes and Jones under contract.

Agree.  We keep those great coaches and teachers so that young cheaper players play better sooner.  Then get some players to extend at a favorable rate in order to have a chance to win the big one, which increases their market value.  Those coaches are a lot less expensive than the players but achieve the same things.

5 hours ago, Okiechief1 said:

If Clark wasn’t just blowing smoke in those interviews about the 12 to 18 month timeframe for Mahomes contract then the price will definitely be higher but it also means that he is waiting till after the CBA gets done.   He knows their is a chance we could win it again next year with Mahomes winning SB mvp again.  How much is a 2x SB winner and MVP worth who probably even after next hasn’t hit his prime at the age of 25.   So why wait?

Is it possible Clark knows something that would help the team?  Maybe they are talking about something like the Bird rule like the NBA has, unless it’s Pats agent that is saying let’s wait which would make sense as well.  

I think a Bird rule in the NFL would be great!  Makes drafting even more important and much easier to keep drafted players.

But I say make it work like a extra franchise tag.....we’re we can have 1 player on the roster and pay him anything we want but his cap will only count what a franchise tag would count.  So this would mean Hunt could pay Mahomes $50M but would only hit the cap for the avg of the top 5 QB contracts.  Plus this option can only be used on a player that has been with the same team for 4 years.

51 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Agree.  We keep those great coaches and teachers so that young cheaper players play better sooner.  Then get some players to extend at a favorable rate in order to have a chance to win the big one, which increases their market value.  Those coaches are a lot less expensive than the players but achieve the same things.

That relates to a wild card in all our speculation.  We don't know who the coaches think is useful on the practice squad or coming off IR.  Is there a plan for Allegretti?  Do they envision a bigger role for Thompson.  Would Spags want Ragland back?  Ogbah?  The draft, FA, and mid season pick ups were done very well this year.  Gotta assume Veach and Reid know something about staffing a team. 

It's obvious that Mahomes is very low priority among contract talks. Jones and Watkins are critical within the next month and we have a bunch of FAs that would be wise to resign. Mahomes likely gets his new deal during the summer, even if they agree on the terms sooner as cap will be stabilized by then. 

I almost lean towards franchising Jones this year and resigning Pat after new CBA. It's a dick move as Pat deserves to get paid, but its probably the most likely way to repeat. Restructure Watkins and see if there's any way to hold on to Breeland, doubt we can afford him though.  Pat will be a billionaire by the time he retires with us from contracts and endorsements regardless. 

20 hours ago, jetlord said:

That relates to a wild card in all our speculation.  We don't know who the coaches think is useful on the practice squad or coming off IR.  Is there a plan for Allegretti?  Do they envision a bigger role for Thompson.  Would Spags want Ragland back?  Ogbah?  The draft, FA, and mid season pick ups were done very well this year.  Gotta assume Veach and Reid know something about staffing a team. 

Exactly.  But unfortunately, if we accept that, then no one would have anything to post about this offseason :lol:

On 2/9/2020 at 11:54 AM, West said:

This is where Veach earns his pay....

I think Mahomes and Jones are must keepers.

Sammie will do a team friendly deal and could be kept.

w

I think Watkins is not hungry. Yes he shines in prime time. He seems to takes lots of plays off during the regular season. Lots of plays off. If Jones does not knock down those passes and Breeland does not make those tackles ....Watkins catches are meaningless. Keep the guys on defense and let Watkins malinger somewhere else. I doubt he would agree to a huge pay cut and that is what it would take. Cant invest that much money on two receivers. 

14 minutes ago, FANATIC said:

I think Watkins is not hungry. Yes he shines in prime time. He seems to takes lots of plays off during the regular season. Lots of plays off. If Jones does not knock down those passes and Breeland does not make those tackles ....Watkins catches are meaningless. Keep the guys on defense and let Watkins malinger somewhere else. I doubt he would agree to a huge pay cut and that is what it would take. Cant invest that much money on two receivers. 

I agree with you. Mecole Hardman is ready to take over for Watkins. We would miss out on some return yardage, but you can't have everything.   We need to draft a sure-handed return man and let Mecole spend more time on offense.  We can't keep everyone, and Watkins is too expensive.  We are gong to have to cut some guys.  It's just that simple. So, I agree with you.  Let him bring his talent somewhere else.  He apparently is having some family issues and wants to be a family man.  The NFL grind is literally making him crazy. I think we have seen the last of him.  There are other ways to help Mahomes keep getting better and better.  Our best player has to be protected if he is going to cost 40-50 million dollars per year.  The draft should include an offensive takle in the high rounds IMO. I am thinking about three or four years from now.

Hardman can be the #2 WR this season but I think the Chiefs will draft a bigger type end zone threat in the fourth of fifth round.  Watkins and Robinson should be gone.  That leaves Hill, Hardman, Draftee, Pringle, and maybe Kemp or some other low cost player off the practice squad or IR.  Having Kelce takes a lot of pressure off the third/fourth receiver.

The O-line will have to be addressed but the interior is the #1 priority this off season.  Second day picks should go to a guard who can also play center and a tackle who can also play guard.  Even a rookie could step in at the level that Erving played.  I'm hoping Allegretti can fill a role but he didn't play much last season so it's hard to know what the staff thinks of his potential.