I am on a different page regarding Watkins... 

There is soo much to be said about QB's and receivers being on the same page.

Hardman is still a year or two away. 

If they can get Watkins at a reasonable number, they keep him.

I didn't really see the whole "taking plays off"...I think we all know absolutely everything these guys do is on film.

You can't say Reid and Eric B are "Great Coaches" then assert a starter "takes plays off".

Watkins' only issue is "staying on the field"....he made play after play down the stretch once  was healthy.

w

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

Hardman can be the #2 WR this season but I think the Chiefs will draft a bigger type end zone threat in the fourth of fifth round.  Watkins and Robinson should be gone.  That leaves Hill, Hardman, Draftee, Pringle, and maybe Kemp or some other low cost player off the practice squad or IR.  Having Kelce takes a lot of pressure off the third/fourth receiver.

The O-line will have to be addressed but the interior is the #1 priority this off season.  Second day picks should go to a guard who can also play center and a tackle who can also play guard.  Even a rookie could step in at the level that Erving played.  I'm hoping Allegretti can fill a role but he didn't play much last season so it's hard to know what the staff thinks of his potential.

As long as Mahomes is our best and most important player (a long time), we will remain an offensive dominant team.  So, our investment must continue to be protected with a great O-line and lots of targets.  Whatever accomplishes that will be our main priority.  Addrssing the D comes second.  That is a big change in drafting and FA approach than we have experienced in the last 30 or 35 years, and all of us will need to get used to it.  There will still be a whining and screaming about why we didn't address LB and D line and CB's in the offseason when certain people are available, but it is a culture change that proves itself in teams with super good QB's and long term success. It proved itself this year. If we can accomplish the targets part with Watkins, then fine, but we will have to pay him his high cap hit intead of Hardman who is on his rookie contract. I trust in the front office.

22 hours ago, jetlord said:

Hardman can be the #2 WR this season but I think the Chiefs will draft a bigger type end zone threat in the fourth of fifth round.  Watkins and Robinson should be gone.  That leaves Hill, Hardman, Draftee, Pringle, and maybe Kemp or some other low cost player off the practice squad or IR.  Having Kelce takes a lot of pressure off the third/fourth receiver.

The O-line will have to be addressed but the interior is the #1 priority this off season.  Second day picks should go to a guard who can also play center and a tackle who can also play guard.  Even a rookie could step in at the level that Erving played.  I'm hoping Allegretti can fill a role but he didn't play much last season so it's hard to know what the staff thinks of his potential.

duplicate post

As long as Mahomes is our best and most important player (a long time), we will remain an offensive dominant team.  So, our investment must continue to be protected with a great O-line and lots of targets.  Whatever accomplishes that will be our main priority.  Addressing the D comes second.  That is a big change in drafting and FA approach than we have experienced in the last 30 or 35 years, and all of us will need to get used to it.  There will still be a whining and screaming about why we didn't address LB and D line and CB's in the offseason when certain people are available, or keeping some super expensive defensive players,  but it is a culture change that proves itself over and over in teams with super good QB's and long term success. Those teams usually preveail in the offseason. It proved itself this year. If we can accomplish the targets part with Watkins at an offordable price, but we will have to pay him his high cap hit intead of Hardman who is on his rookie contract. I trust in the front office. When the D falters and Spags gets his head coaching job somewhere, we will be a merely decent team for a year or two.  But thems the breaks.

Your emphasis on offense is understandable and correct, but there is a compromise.  Witness the failures of the Chiefs when the offense scored well over 30 points and the defense gave up the game on the other team's last drive including the AFCCG of last year.  That's why Jones is more important than Watkins.   That's why Clark and the HB, Okafor, Breeland, etc. were acquired.  Dicky V had very good offenses and the best line.  How many playoff games did they win?  The Chiefs surely need to protect Mahomes and I've stated many times that the interior of the line need priority this off season.  The Chiefs need a big receiver to replace Watkins, but don't need to spend $14 million to do so.  But Reid has shown that he can scheme around over whelming pass rushes.  Spags needs the horses to keep the defense at an acceptable level.  He can't do it with only Ward and Fenten at CB and nothing beyond Wilson and Hitchens at LB.  The Chiefs can draft O-line on the second day.  They MUST draft defense with their top choice.  

I would do a 1st and 3rd this year with Detroit (4th pick first round) and a 3rd round pick. We wont see Jones again for another 4 years as we played them this year.

Hell Arizona at 6th pick overall and their 3rd would be great too

https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2020/02/11/kansas-city-chiefs-free-agency-2020-suitors-already-emerging-for-top-free-agents-chris-jones-demarcus-robinson/

As with any Super Bowl-winning team, the Kansas City Chiefs’ pending free agents will be hot commodities during the upcoming NFL free agency period.

Clubs are not permitted to contact pending free agents until the legal tampering period begins on March 16. The talking heads, however, are already piecing together connections between pending free agents for the Chiefs and their respective teams.

Philadelphia Inquirer beat writer Jeff McClane reported ahead of the Super Bowl that the Philadelphia Eagles have Chiefs’ pending free agent WR Demarcus Robinson, “in their sights.” He notes that Robinson took a top-30 visit with the Eagles ahead of the 2016 NFL draft and was a favorite of GM Howie Roseman. Now that he’s a Super Bowl Champion, the Eagles could have even more incentive to bring him in as they try to get back to the big dance.

The big fish that most everyone has their hearts set on is 26-year-old DT, Chris Jones. Three writers for teams with big needs in the pass-rushing department are already pondering whether their teams might be a fit for Jones. Those teams include the division rival Las Vegas Raiders, the Detroit Lions and the Arizona Cardinals.

I’m not so convinced that Kansas City will be willing to let Jones simply walk in free agency. If I had to make a guess right now, they’ll use the franchise tag on him in order to buy more time to negotiate a long term extension. If they’re unable to negotiate an extension, they’ll seek to trade him to an NFC team to ensure they’ll rarely have to face him.

The Chiefs have several other pending free agents that will likely emerge as targets for teams in the coming weeks. Players like CB Bashaud Breeland, DB Kendall Fuller, LB Reggie Ragland and more could be coveted after their 2019 seasons.

13 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Your emphasis on offense is understandable and correct, but there is a compromise.  Witness the failures of the Chiefs when the offense scored well over 30 points and the defense gave up the game on the other team's last drive including the AFCCG of last year.  That's why Jones is more important than Watkins.   That's why Clark and the HB, Okafor, Breeland, etc. were acquired.  Dicky V had very good offenses and the best line.  How many playoff games did they win?  The Chiefs surely need to protect Mahomes and I've stated many times that the interior of the line need priority this off season.  The Chiefs need a big receiver to replace Watkins, but don't need to spend $14 million to do so.  But Reid has shown that he can scheme around over whelming pass rushes.  Spags needs the horses to keep the defense at an acceptable level.  He can't do it with only Ward and Fenten at CB and nothing beyond Wilson and Hitchens at LB.  The Chiefs can draft O-line on the second day.  They MUST draft defense with their top choice.  

Well stated.  I I think they will re-sign Fuller as hybrid CB-S and can get another CB or develop one.  Just not sure about LB.  Ragland was might good down the stretch.  The reason I think they will go O-line with their first pick is because of what I said, the big drop-off we saw when Fisher was hurt, and the timing of Fisher's career.  It takes a high pick OT and a development time of 4-5 years to get really good.  I just think offense will continue to be the priority with Mahomes and Reid in the driver's seat.  But we will see. It will depend on the quality in the draft and what it is looking like on the board obviously.

1 minute ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Well stated.  I I think they will re-sign Fuller as hybrid CB-S and can get another CB or develop one.  Just not sure about LB.  Ragland was might good down the stretch.  The reason I think they will go O-line with their first pick is because of what I said, the big drop-off we saw when Fisher was hurt, and the timing of Fisher's career.  It takes a high pick OT and a development time of 4-5 years to get really good.  I just think offense will continue to be the priority with Mahomes and Reid in the driver's seat.  But we will see. It will depend on the quality in the draft and what it is looking like on the board obviously.

Make hard decisions on our FA. If we tag and trade Jones qe will have some good picks to use. Go after a FA C/G then so we dont have to develop one. Uae FA to set uo our draft and go from there. We need a good RG and C. Wiz and Fisher can do the job another year and we can address it then in draft too or see next year.

22 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

I would do a 1st and 3rd this year with Detroit (4th pick first round) and a 3rd round pick. We wont see Jones again for another 4 years as we played them this year.

Hell Arizona at 6th pick overall and their 3rd would be great too

https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2020/02/11/kansas-city-chiefs-free-agency-2020-suitors-already-emerging-for-top-free-agents-chris-jones-demarcus-robinson/

As with any Super Bowl-winning team, the Kansas City Chiefs’ pending free agents will be hot commodities during the upcoming NFL free agency period.

Clubs are not permitted to contact pending free agents until the legal tampering period begins on March 16. The talking heads, however, are already piecing together connections between pending free agents for the Chiefs and their respective teams.

Philadelphia Inquirer beat writer Jeff McClane reported ahead of the Super Bowl that the Philadelphia Eagles have Chiefs’ pending free agent WR Demarcus Robinson, “in their sights.” He notes that Robinson took a top-30 visit with the Eagles ahead of the 2016 NFL draft and was a favorite of GM Howie Roseman. Now that he’s a Super Bowl Champion, the Eagles could have even more incentive to bring him in as they try to get back to the big dance.

The big fish that most everyone has their hearts set on is 26-year-old DT, Chris Jones. Three writers for teams with big needs in the pass-rushing department are already pondering whether their teams might be a fit for Jones. Those teams include the division rival Las Vegas Raiders, the Detroit Lions and the Arizona Cardinals.

I’m not so convinced that Kansas City will be willing to let Jones simply walk in free agency. If I had to make a guess right now, they’ll use the franchise tag on him in order to buy more time to negotiate a long term extension. If they’re unable to negotiate an extension, they’ll seek to trade him to an NFC team to ensure they’ll rarely have to face him.

The Chiefs have several other pending free agents that will likely emerge as targets for teams in the coming weeks. Players like CB Bashaud Breeland, DB Kendall Fuller, LB Reggie Ragland and more could be coveted after their 2019 seasons.

Hell even I would do that Detroit deal and I love Jones.  Which means it's too good to be true.  That #4 has a lot of value being right in front of QB needy teams.

15 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

It takes a high pick OT and a development time of 4-5 years to get really good.   

Disagree.  There's little drop between first and second rounds of interior O linemen.  At #32, the Chiefs aren't going to get a "can't miss" LT and OG/C don't exactly fly off the board.  Allen, Hudson, and Morse didn't take that long to be effective starters.  The new guys will get more than their shave of holding flags maybe, but they can plug and play from the beginning even if they are second day picks.  JMHO

4 minutes ago, xen said:

Hell even I would do that Detroit deal and I love Jones.  Which means it's too good to be true.  That #4 has a lot of value being right in front of QB needy teams.

The Chiefs gave up a very late first for Clark.  Do you think Jones is worth an early first plus?  Doubtful considering the acquiring team would also have to pay the big contract. 

If the Lions are up for it I would do that trade in a heartbeat. Perfect spot for a QB so that pick would bring in at least another early 2nd. We would be in a position to find up to 4 starters in the draft which should fix the OL and DB at the very least. 

51 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Disagree.  There's little drop between first and second rounds of interior O linemen.  At #32, the Chiefs aren't going to get a "can't miss" LT and OG/C don't exactly fly off the board.  Allen, Hudson, and Morse didn't take that long to be effective starters.  The new guys will get more than their shave of holding flags maybe, but they can plug and play from the beginning even if they are second day picks.  JMHO

I wasn't talking about interior O-linemen.  I was taking about the development time of an offensive tackle, not a guard or center.

1 hour ago, Fmbl2187 said:

I wasn't talking about interior O-linemen.  I was taking about the development time of an offensive tackle, not a guard or center.

Gotcha.  Not sure where the next Schwartz or Fisher comes from as long as the Chiefs are drafting so late in the first.  Either have to do a superior job of evaluating talent or pay the price for moving up or a FA. 

Gotcha.  Not sure where the next Schwartz or Fisher comes from as long as the Chiefs are drafting so late in the first.  Either have to do a superior job of evaluating talent or pay the price for moving up or a FA. 

True.  But a lot of the best guys are from the 2-4th rounds.  The 1st round guys are often too full of themselves to feel the need to learn and give maximum effort learning.

Just now, Fmbl2187 said:

True.  But a lot of the best guys are from the 2-4th rounds.  The 1st round guys are often too full of themselves to feel the need to learn and give maximum effort learning.

That's the reason many feel it's not necessary to draft O-line in the first unless it's a special talent.  If the Chiefs can find a future OT that can play OG until Fisher or Schwartz is done, that would be ideal.  At the same time, it would be nice to find a center that could also fill in at OG.  Then line this fall will probably be Fisher, Rankin, Allegretti or new guy, new guy, Schwartz. 

4 hours ago, jetlord said:

The Chiefs gave up a very late first for Clark.  Do you think Jones is worth an early first plus?  Doubtful considering the acquiring team would also have to pay the big contract. 

Yeah I don't see any scenario where they are giving up the #4.  Hell there's scuttle about them trading Stafford, they may want a young QB, though considering the coach that's probably more about Brady being available.

The draft is a 50 50 crapshoot over the long term now matter how good you are at evaluating talent.  That's what makes it crazy.

1 hour ago, xen said:

The draft is a 50 50 crapshoot over the long term now matter how good you are at evaluating talent.  That's what makes it crazy.

By the time you get to #32, you're probably right.  Looking back at Chiefs first picks in the draft, results probably depend more on the evaluators than on the talent.  Man o man, the Chiefs had some horrible picks. 

1 minute ago, jetlord said:

By the time you get to #32, you're probably right.  Looking back at Chiefs first picks in the draft, results probably depend more on the evaluators than on the talent.  Man o man, the Chiefs had some horrible picks. 

Well we have done well drafting in round 2 and such having no 1st rounders lately so I think we will be fine