8 hours ago, jetlord said:

Your emphasis on offense is understandable and correct, but there is a compromise.  Witness the failures of the Chiefs when the offense scored well over 30 points and the defense gave up the game on the other team's last drive including the AFCCG of last year.  That's why Jones is more important than Watkins.   That's why Clark and the HB, Okafor, Breeland, etc. were acquired.  Dicky V had very good offenses and the best line.  How many playoff games did they win?  The Chiefs surely need to protect Mahomes and I've stated many times that the interior of the line need priority this off season.  The Chiefs need a big receiver to replace Watkins, but don't need to spend $14 million to do so.  But Reid has shown that he can scheme around over whelming pass rushes.  Spags needs the horses to keep the defense at an acceptable level.  He can't do it with only Ward and Fenten at CB and nothing beyond Wilson and Hitchens at LB.  The Chiefs can draft O-line on the second day.  They MUST draft defense with their top choice.  

Agree. Shouldn’t have to score 30 plus to win every week. 

Comparing Watkins with Pennel probably makes much more sense than comparisons with Jones. A stud DT of Jones' caliber is a lot more valuable than any WR, including Hill. Watkins hasn't earned his paycheck but realistically he hasn't even earned half of it either. Played great against Tennessee and also 49ers but we will very likely be able to replace Watkins' production with a cheap WR as long as Mahomes has that guy over for camp. 

11 hours ago, jetlord said:

By the time you get to #32, you're probably right.  Looking back at Chiefs first picks in the draft, results probably depend more on the evaluators than on the talent.  Man o man, the Chiefs had some horrible picks. 

historically that's even picking high in the draft.  

10 hours ago, beltranfan said:

You guys are delusional if you think Chris Jones will fetch a top 10 pick in the NFL draft in a trade.   WE might be able to get Detroits second round pick.   Not their first.   Especially not a first and a third.   

Nobody thinks that except a couple people.  But if you think he'd only fetch a 2nd I think you're extremely wrong.

On 2/9/2020 at 11:39 AM, West said:

We MUST extend Patrick....All else is dopey.

Mahomes is the FRANCHISE.

w

They really don't have to right now though.  He's under contract for this year, they can exercise his 5th year option for 2021 and then extend him for 2022 and beyond. 

13 hours ago, xen said:

Yeah I don't see any scenario where they are giving up the #4.  Hell there's scuttle about them trading Stafford, they may want a young QB, though considering the coach that's probably more about Brady being available.

I agree, the Chiefs won't be able to get a top 15-20 pick for Jones unless they can get a pick from MIA for Jones.

10 hours ago, beltranfan said:

You guys are delusional if you think Chris Jones will fetch a top 10 pick in the NFL draft in a trade.   WE might be able to get Detroits second round pick.   Not their first.   Especially not a first and a third.   

Mispost.  I read first round not top ten.  I think you are right.  But somewhere in the lower first round is quite possible. On the other hand.  Some fans get over-excited about picks 1-10.  Some of them fail completely.  A guy who is a proven beast, a disrupter, still early in his career could fetch a guy high in the first round, because he is a sure thing.  A GM for a crappy team who thinks he is a know-it-all, might not think that, but he should be fired.

16 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Mispost.  I read first round not top ten.  I think you are right.  But somewhere in the lower first round is quite possible. On the other hand.  Some fans get over-excited about picks 1-10.  Some of them fail completely.  A guy who is a proven beast, a disrupter, still early in his career could fetch a guy high in the first round, because he is a sure thing.  A GM for a crappy team who thinks he is a know-it-all, might not think that, but he should be fired.

lol Dorsey has already been fired

12 hours ago, beltranfan said:

The market has been set and Detroit’s second round pick isn’t nearly enough. If teams won’t pay, we won’t trade. We have the leverage, not them. 

2 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Don't overlook the elephant in the room.  CAP SPACE.  Jones will command a huge investment.  The first round pick is cheap for up to five years.  So on one hand you have a near sure thing and on the other you have potential at a low cost. 

11 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Don't overlook the elephant in the room.  CAP SPACE.  Jones will command a huge investment.  The first round pick is cheap for up to five years.  So on one hand you have a near sure thing and on the other you have potential at a low cost. 

We already have potential at low cost on the roster with Khalen Saunders.

Just now, jetlord said:

Saunders may become a very good DT, but I don't see him rushing the passer from that position like Jones.  The batted down passes were a huge factor in the playoffs, especially the SB. 

Saunders is super athletic for a guy his size.  I could see him causing some real havok if he develops.  But I was just referring to potential at a low cost.  No doubt I don't want to see us put all our eggs in that basket.

1 minute ago, jetlord said:

Saunders may become a very good DT, but I don't see him rushing the passer from that position like Jones.  The batted down passes were a huge factor in the playoffs, especially the SB. 

Jones has wizened up over the last year or so. Before it was all about sacks. Now he has learned that it's better to read the play and react accordingly vs going all out bull rush. The knocked down passes prove he's matured as a Dlineman.

We traded Jared Allen for a 1st and two 3rd round picks. Khalil Mack The Raiders received 1st & 6th-round picks in 2019, 1st & 3rd-round picks in 2020, while the Bears received Mack, 2nd-round pick in 2020, and a conditional 5th-round pick in 2020.

So thinking a team wont trade a top 10 pick for a guy that is already proven in the leagur and a top 3 to 5 DT, who can play in the 4-3 and 3-4 is silly. We could very well get only a top 10 pick or if we do might get a 5th thrown in too and a swap of picks later on etc.

I am not expecting a top 10 pick but there are teams in the top 10 with a huge amount of cap space per the article I linked that would make sense for a trade.

1 hour ago, xen said:

Saunders is super athletic for a guy his size.  I could see him causing some real havok if he develops.  But I was just referring to potential at a low cost.  No doubt I don't want to see us put all our eggs in that basket.

He can definitely cause some havoc by doing a backflip.  Guys will hesitate for a split second just to stay out of his way for fear of getting landed on  :lol:

1 hour ago, Fmbl2187 said:

He can definitely cause some havoc by doing a backflip.  Guys will hesitate for a split second just to stay out of his way for fear of getting landed on  :lol:

Maybe he can back flip over the center and land on the QB.  That would be just as interesting as the three back spin move on fourth and one. 

3 hours ago, jetlord said:

Jones is elite. He's not really replaceable, certainly with anyone on our current roster. That said our D line did play pretty well when he was out. Its an overall very deep group. 

43 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

Jones is elite. He's not really replaceable, certainly with anyone on our current roster. That said our D line did play pretty well when he was out. Its an overall very deep group. 

Agree, but man does he help!
I think CJ can be traded for a top 10 pick, and if Detroit came along with their #4 pick for CJ, I would let him walk. IMO, that's a no brainer. I'd then trade that #4 pick for a lower 1st and 2nd and try to find CJ's replacement in the draft...for a lot cheaper.

However, I don't think any of this is going to happen. I personally think we will resign him..or Tag him and he plays for us next year.

16 minutes ago, artsy said:

Agree, but man does he help!
I think CJ can be traded for a top 10 pick, and if Detroit came along with their #4 pick for CJ, I would let him walk. IMO, that's a no brainer. I'd then trade that #4 pick for a lower 1st and 2nd and try to find CJ's replacement in the draft...for a lot cheaper.

However, I don't think any of this is going to happen. I personally think we will resign him..or Tag him and he plays for us next year.

Agree our CAP realities doesn’t preclude us from resigning him but it’s got to make Brett take pause if Jones can command the haul he’s worth. I think we want him back and will go with mostly rookie contracts around he and Clark to make it work. I’d just top 5 overall but I think that’s gonna he tough to get. He is worth it though!

I hate tagging players and hoping it works out because that has a way of eating at a locker room and really drawing the long term ire of a player. But that’s almost certainly where this starts. 

1 hour ago, Chiefsfan1963 said:

So you're saying the #4 is better than Jones.

I am.  The reason is simple.

You're sitting behind the dumbest GM in the league.  I don't think he trades out, I think Gettleman sits tight and picks.  

Now you're sitting directly in front of several teams that desperately want a QB. Recent history has shown us teams will be very aggressive in this situation.

Sell that to the highest bidder.   That one pick can flip into multiple picks, which is how you compete with a QB getting paid a lot.

I wouldn't do anything though til I found out how healthy Tua is.  That's the key.