35 minutes ago, Chiefsfan1963 said:

Sorry, but I don't see where an unproven player is better than a proven vet. As you all know, the draft is a crapshoot. Sometimes you win, but many times you lose. Multiple first round picks maybe but not 1.

The 4 can easily turn into multiple first round picks.  No way do I think we should stay at 4 and pick.   But Miami is sitting on 3 first rounders and no QB.  LA Right behind them.  If Panthers don't resign Cam, and the word is they might move on, they need a QB too.  There's 1-2 QBs after Burrow that will be worth it that high.  Sitting on the Tua pick is a great position to be in.  Trade back, enjoy Isiah Simmons, who would be a beast for a creative coordinator like Spags, or try and replace CJ with Kinlaw, who has some of the same traits.  Plus now you have extra picks.

Just spitballing.  The point is, we didn't win a Superbowl by being timid, and I honestly don't think we can pay both CJ and Mahomes top dollar and still be ok cap wise.

4 hours ago, jetlord said:

Maybe he can back flip over the center and land on the QB.  That would be just as interesting as the three back spin move on fourth and one. 

I'd pay anything to see that.  He would become an overnight celebrity.  Think of all the advertising endorsements.  Show the clip while saying " You'll flip over these....whatever: burgers, toothpaste, etc.  You could use it to sell prescription meds.

Why Detroit at 4?  Redskins don’t need a DE but are mocked Chase Young ar #2 because Young is by far the best prospect in the draft.  They need LT and DT!

Redskins get:

Fisher, OT 

CJ, DT

Chiefs get:

#2 overall and draft Chase Young(elite elite DE prospect)

Josh Norman, cost us $12M and serves as a 1 year stop gap to upgrade our secondary for another super bowl.  Yes he isn’t as good but still can play.

Then take our new LT at #32.

This could actually upgrade our D while gaining over $20M in cap.  With that cap we upgrade our interior OL, get an elite LG to help our rookie LT.

8 minutes ago, Balto said:

Why Detroit at 4?  Redskins don’t need a DE but are mocked Chase Young ar #2 because Young is by far the best prospect in the draft.  They need LT and DT!

Redskins get:

Fisher, OT 

CJ, DT

Chiefs get:

Josh Norman, cost us $12M and serves as a 1 year stop gap to upgrade our secondary for another super bowl.  Yes he isn’t as good but still can play.

This could actually upgrade our D while gaining over $20M in cap.  With that cap we upgrade our interior OL, get an elite LG to help our rookie LT.

This is crazy but Clark and Young would be a lot of fun to watch.

Another Veach gem. Can we keep him?  

k5LrcqsG_normal.jpg
Sports Radio 810 WHB

@SportsRadio810
· 3h
“I know it’s a business but I’ve told my agents and I’ve told everybody in the Kansas City Chiefs organization I’d love to be back.” - @TheBeastPennel

2 hours ago, Balto said:

Redskins get:

Fisher, OT 

CJ, DT

Chiefs get:

So we open up holes at DT and Mahomes' blind side to draft a DE to add to the mix of Clark, Okafor, Kpass, Speaks, (Ogbah). 

Trading away both frees a lot of cap space but I doubt Veach would consider it unless there's a better DT he's high on or a generational LT available for us to pick at #2. He might look to keep trading down to get more picks but that's a whole other scenario. 

What about  Jones for Darius Slay? And we swap 3rd round picks? Detroit is in need of a good DT. We get our CB cheaper than what Jones would be plus use Watkins salary for Slay. Then get a high 3rd round pick too for line help ok offense etc

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28723912/sources-lions-spoken-teams-trade-cb-darius-slay

13 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

What about  Jones for Darius Slay? And we swap 3rd round picks? Detroit is in need of a good DT. We get our CB cheaper than what Jones would be plus use Watkins salary for Slay. Then get a high 3rd round pick too for line help ok offense etc

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28723912/sources-lions-spoken-teams-trade-cb-darius-slay

I could live with that.  We won't be seeing Chris Jones much in the foreseeable future and we get our lock down corner.   

Just franchise tag Jones and let him shop around for deals.

KC would get 5 days to match.  If unmatched, KC nets 2 1st round picks.

If no team is willing to part with 2 1st round picks but wants to sign him, take a 1st and a 3rd in this year's draft.

Worst case, you pay Jones 16.7m on a 1 year deal.

Cuts will be made soon to free up space. 

13 minutes ago, dksww said:

Just franchise tag Jones and let him shop around for deals.

KC would get 5 days to match.  If unmatched, KC nets 2 1st round picks.

If no team is willing to part with 2 1st round picks but wants to sign him, take a 1st and a 3rd in this year's draft.

Worst case, you pay Jones 16.7m on a 1 year deal.

Cuts will be made soon to free up space. 

So how does that work? Guys need cut before a FA signing or is there a grace period?. I'm doubting  many if any players that made a meaningful contribution over the season will get "cut" we have lots of FA' s that immediately opens up space. 

Does Watkins need to be cut then resigned if he agrees to a new deal ?

when do the Franchise tags need to be announced and do  the Chiefs have to have that cap space available  then or not until IF & When ..whomever signs the deal?

enquirering mind wants to know

7 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

So how does that work? Guys need cut before a FA signing or is there a grace period?. I'm doubting  many if any players that made a meaningful contribution over the season will get "cut" we have lots of FA' s that immediately opens up space. 

when do the Franchise tags need to be announced and do  the Chiefs have to have that cap space available  then or not until IF & When ..whomever signs the deal?

2.25.20 through 3.10.20 is when teams can designate franchise and transition tags.  Must be done by March 10.

3.16.20 free agency tampering zone opens - 3.18.20 free agency and trades can start

Also on 3.18.20 all options have to be exercised, and by that afternoon the top 51 guys must be under the cap.   2019 contracts expire at the same time.  believe it's 3pm cst.

Watkins does not have to be cut to restructure his deal.  That can all be negotiated at any time since he's under contract.

btw, you can also sign so called street free agents at any time - guys that were released early don't count in the compensatory pick formula.  just usually those guys have issues.

11 hours ago, xen said:

2.25.20 through 3.10.20 is when teams can designate franchise and transition tags.  Must be done by March 10.

3.16.20 free agency tampering zone opens - 3.18.20 free agency and trades can start

Also on 3.18.20 all options have to be exercised, and by that afternoon the top 51 guys must be under the cap.   2019 contracts expire at the same time.  believe it's 3pm cst.

Watkins does not have to be cut to restructure his deal.  That can all be negotiated at any time since he's under contract.

btw, you can also sign so called street free agents at any time - guys that were released early don't count in the compensatory pick formula.  just usually those guys have issues.

March 16th seems too far away, this will be an interesting offseason for the whole NFL.

18 hours ago, oldtimer said:

https://www.miamidolphins.com/news/2020-nfl-dates-to-remember-offseason-calendar

I'm pretty sure all teams have to be below the salary cap by the start of the new league year which is March 18th.  Roster moves and salary cap adjustments can be made year round.

14 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

Don't we have Eric Berry's cap hit on the books for another year?   Wish they would put in a salary dump like the NBA did a few years ago in which you could get rid of one or two bad contracts on your books.

8 million for 2020.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/eric-berry-6514/

1 hour ago, reesebobby said:

The worst contract in team history for what we got?

Dorsey gave big extensions to Hali, Berry, Houston and LDT in two offseasons.  I guess Houston was the best of the bunch and yet still so bad we had to release him. It’s almost unbelievable how badly all these guys underperformed their contracts and how many games they all missed with injury. And yet Andy still won anyway.  

1 hour ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

I mean this 8 million is part of the downside of using a post June 1st designation. But Veach structures deals where he can get out of them after 3 or 4 years. Dorsey never did that. Fisher, LDT, DJ, EB, etc. 

Exactly right. Even Frank Clark’s contract lets us maneuver out of it if we had to after 2021.