I really think Dustin thought with Reid and Mahomes there was a shot they could win a SB...otherwise he might have hung it up by now. His dad and brother used to do some friendly needling because they both had SB rings...and now Dustin joins them. Cool.

But I think we all know Dustin isn't the punter he once was. He is not a weapon like a Kern for the Titans. Does Dustin retire now that he has a ring? Do you think Chiefs would ever cut him if he hangs on and is barely average?

12 minutes ago, dhitter said:

I really think Dustin thought with Reid and Mahomes there was a shot they could win a SB...otherwise he might have hung it up by now. His dad and brother used to do some friendly needling because they both had SB rings...and now Dustin joins them. Cool.

But I think we all know Dustin isn't the punter he once was. He is not a weapon like a Kern for the Titans. Does Dustin retire now that he has a ring? Do you think Chiefs would ever cut him if he hangs on and is barely average?

First off, I'm really happy for Dustin to get a ring.  He deserves it and has been a big part of the team for a long time. 

Given our cap situation, I don't see us paying a punter the kind of money he gets for very long, especially given his declining ability.  I'm not sure how that ends exactly, but I think it ends fairly soon. 

looks cheap to me....his Cap hit was this year spotrac.com/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/dustin-colquitt-4375/

YEAR   AGE BASE SALARY SIGNING WORKOUT CAP HIT DEAD CAP YEARLY CASH  
2018 Contract details by year 36 $1,015,000 $650,000 $35,000 $1,700,000 $3,000,000 $3,000,000($3,000,000)  
2019 Contract details by year 37 $2,450,000 $650,000 $50,000 $3,150,000 $1,350,000 $2,500,000($5,500,000)  
2020 Contract details by year 38 $1,950,000 $650,000 $50,000 $2,650,000 $650,000 $2,000,000($7,500,000)  

I too am really happy Colquitt got a ring.  For years he did his job better than anybody else on the team did theirs. 

At this point I don't really want to start talking about who should be cut and who needs to be upgraded.  The last thing I want is for a Chiefs player to come on to our board to see what great things the fans have to say about the Superbowl win only to see a thread with fans saying they should be cut. I am sure they are busy with other things but you never know.   

OT, I didn't quote you so as to not make a mess.  2 million is not super expensive, but  half of the punters make less than a million per year and a lot of them are league minimum.  That plus the fact that he is 23rd in net punting (an area that he always excelled) and 27th in gross makes him not worth 2 million a year as a punter.  I wish that wasn't the case, but every million counts when you are looking at a Mahomes signing. 

1 Thomas Morstead

Thomas Morstead

Punter
$3,962,500
2 Johnny Hekker

Johnny Hekker

Punter
$3,762,943
3 Sam Martin

Sam Martin

Punter
$3,400,069
4 Sam Koch

Sam Koch

Punter
$3,250,000
5 Brett Kern

Brett Kern

Punter
$3,162,500
6 Riley Dixon

Riley Dixon

Punter
$2,900,000
  Rigoberto Sanchez

Rigoberto Sanchez

Punter
$2,900,000
8 Bryan Anger

Bryan Anger

Punter
$2,750,000
  Bradley Pinion

Bradley Pinion

Punter
$2,750,000
10 Kevin Huber

Kevin Huber

Punter
$2,650,000
11 Andy Lee

Andy Lee

Punter
$2,625,000
12 Michael Palardy

Michael Palardy

Punter
$2,506,667
13 Dustin Colquitt

Dustin Colquitt

Punter
$2,500,000
14 Chris Jones

Chris Jones

Punter
$2,175,000
15 Jordan Berry

Jordan Berry

Punter
$1,850,000
16 Pat O'Donnell

Pat O'Donnell

Punter
$1,750,000
17 Mitch Wishnowsky

Mitch Wishnowsky

Punter
$821,018
18 Matt Wile

Matt Wile

Punter
$735,000
19 Jake Bailey

Jake Bailey

Punter
$702,245
20 Michael Dickson

Michael Dickson

Punter
$687,538
21 JK Scott

JK Scott

Punter
$669,388
22 Logan Cooke

Logan Cooke

Punter
$632,906
23 Trevor Daniel

Trevor Daniel

Punter
$630,000
24 Jamie Gillan

Jamie Gillan

Punter
$588,333
25 A.J. Cole

A.J. Cole

Punter
$585,833
26 Corey Bojorquez

Corey Bojorquez

Punter
$570,000
  Colby Wadman

Colby Wadman

Punter
$570,000
28 Ryan Winslow

Ryan Winslow

Punter
$555,000
  Sean Smith

Sean Smith

Punter
$555,000
  Ian Berryman

Ian Berryman

Punter
$555,000
  Jack Fox

Jack Fox

Punter
$555,000
32 Ty Long

Ty Long

Punter
$540,000

Trending Players

Compare rates and save at Progressive.com
We’ll help you find a great rate. Even if it’s not with us.
Ad By Progressive

See More

AdChoices

Trending Pages

Spotrac on Twitter

20 minutes ago, reesebobby said:

First off, I'm really happy for Dustin to get a ring.  He deserves it and has been a big part of the team for a long time. 

Given our cap situation, I don't see us paying a punter the kind of money he gets for very long, especially given his declining ability.  I'm not sure how that ends exactly, but I think it ends fairly soon. 

100% this.

His current salary is too much.  It's not a lot, but it's too much for what he currently brings.

If Colquit doesn't retire, let him go.  Grab the best college punter that goes undrafted and teach him to hold for Butker.  Save a million and a half.  Pretty basic.   It's a business and the Chiefs should never again fall into the Stram era trap of keeping players too long. 

5 minutes ago, jetlord said:

If Colquit doesn't retire, let him go.  Grab the best college punter that goes undrafted and teach him to hold for Butker.  Save a million and a half.  Pretty basic.   It's a business and the Chiefs should never again fall into the Stram era trap of keeping players too long. 

I'd wager that they do bring in  competition IF he doesn't just retire..at least give him a chance to fight for his job for his last year

OhioState_logo.gif Drue Chrisman*, P, Ohio State
Height: 6-3. Weight: 215.
Projected Round (2020): 5-7.

12/21/19: This year, Chrisman has averaged 44.1 yards per punt and has a long of 61.

6/22/19: Chrisman averaged 43.2 yards per punt in 2018 and had a long of 65 yards. In 2017, he averaged 44.2 yards per punt with a long of 62 yards. Chrisman has a strong leg and was a nice special teams weapon for Ohio State.

KentState_logo.gif Derek Adams, P, Kent State
Height: 6-2. Weight: 193.
Projected Round (2020): 6-FA.

12/21/19: Adams has averaged 43.3 yards per punt this year and has a long of 76.

6/22/19: Adams averaged 40.2 yards per punt in 2018 with a long of 77 yards. He had an excellent 2017 season punting for Kent State, averaging 43.6 yards punt with a long of 74 yards. Adams averaged 40.3 yards per punt with a long of 67 in 2016.

PennState_logo.gif Blake Gillikin, P, Penn State
Height: 6-2. Weight: 193.
Projected Round (2020): 6-FA.

12/21/19: Gillikin has averaged 42.0 yards per punt in 2019 and punted a long of 72.

6/22/19: In 2018, Gillikin averaged 44 yards per punt with a long of 74. Gillikin was a nice weapon for Penn State's special teams in 2017. He averaged 43.2 yards per punt with a long of 57. Gillikin had a long of 69 and averaged 42.8 yards per punt for 2016.

1 hour ago, burt said:

Dustin had MANY years where he was the best player on our roster.  I respect him for that.  But he is surely fading.  AND he surely earned that ring.

I know this is a take people like to have, but I don't believe a punter can ever truly be the best player on a team. During Colquitt's peak and our worst times we still had Jamaal. 

TL;DR no

4 hours ago, oldtimer said:

I'd wager that they do bring in  competition IF he doesn't just retire..at least give him a chance to fight for his job for his last year

Again, we just can't keep him at that high number unless we're just doing him a favor out of loyalty.  No punter is worth that IMO, and definitely not with this offense or for his current production. 

16 minutes ago, Adamixoye said:

Again, we just can't keep him at that high number unless we're just doing him a favor out of loyalty.  No punter is worth that IMO, and definitely not with this offense or for his current production. 

Flawed logic IMO.. a Punter is a defensive player  has nothing to do with offense and in the days of our horrific Defenses he was the best player on Defense

52 minutes ago, Adamixoye said:

I know this is a take people like to have, but I don't believe a punter can ever truly be the best player on a team. During Colquitt's peak and our worst times we still had Jamaal. 

TL;DR no

I see your point... I did forget Jamaal (hard to believe!)  BUT Colquitt was MONEY for numerous years.  But time catches up...

31 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Flawed logic IMO.. a Punter is a defensive player  has nothing to do with offense and in the days of our horrific Defenses he was the best player on Defense

Punters only can affect the game when they punt.  With a good offense (fewer punts), he has less chance to affect the game.  I don't see how that's arguable.  We're going to have, what, a top 3-5 offense for the forseeable future?  That means our punter's impact will be bottom 3-5 in the league.  Different than other defensive players who play all possessions.  Punter might not see the field.  So you just can't pay him in the top half of the league and WELL above the median for starters.  Again, not flawed logic...don't see how anyone could see this differently.

As for the impact of a punter on a team with a worse offense, I don't know.  I'm inclined to suspect that the impact of a few net yards per punt is pretty marginal.  The rest of the unit significantly impacts that as well, not just the punter.  Colquitt has good numbers on getting inside the 20, but it's not like he was consistently pinning teams at the one.  I could be persuaded otherwise by the proper statistical analysis.

A thread swerve, but what ever happened to the coffin corner punts?  We see punters try to place it inside the 10 and fail a good percentage of the time.  Colquit had one of those on Sunday.  It would seem that punting to the corner would have little downside and there's the chance the kick goes out of bounds inside the 10 and if not, the returner is somewhat pinned against the sideline.  Probably a good reason to not do it ore, but I don't get it. 

You don't just let go of your punter without the replacement ready to take over and the 1.5 million is not enough cap space to actually do anything at this point. That money is only useful as the wiggle room during the season so the Chiefs can wait to see if we have a better option at hand before letting him go assuming they are contemplating such a thing.

Retirement is always another story but I don't think Colquitt retires just yet unless Chiefs decide to let him go. One more year on his contract means another go at a ring.