Lot of craziness in this thread.  His salary is meager, and while he's not booming kicks 65 yards in the air, he's still damn good at directional kicking and pinning teams deep.  He had an absolutely perfect punt in the Super Bowl that Pringle completely fucked up.  He's also a very dependable holder in the kicking game.  If he wants to retire, then by all means, he's earned it, but wanting to jettison him to save 750k because he's not kicking 65 yard bombs is dumb.  

4 hours ago, moons314 said:

Lot of craziness in this thread.  His salary is meager, and while he's not booming kicks 65 yards in the air, he's still damn good at directional kicking and pinning teams deep.  He had an absolutely perfect punt in the Super Bowl that Pringle completely fucked up.  He's also a very dependable holder in the kicking game.  If he wants to retire, then by all means, he's earned it, but wanting to jettison him to save 750k because he's not kicking 65 yard bombs is dumb.  

Completely disagree. We are cap strapped and Colquitt was total garbage this year. I think they should absolutely replace him with a cheaper alternative if the right one is available.

10 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Completely disagree. We are cap strapped and Colquitt was total garbage this year. I think they should absolutely replace him with a cheaper alternative if the right one is available.

First we need to find the cheaper alternative and make sure that the cheaper alternative is up to the task. Otherwise I remember the days when we had multiple kickers to handle different roles in 90s. Besides there's the human factor in the whole thing. I think if it comes down to it the Chiefs will ask Colquitt to retire towards the beginning of the season after making sure they have the right guy to replace him. 

14 hours ago, Balto said:

Don't have PFF but what did they rank him?

The only stat on punters I've seen recently is net yards. A basic essential stat to look at if you are a punter. Colquitt was ranked 19th I believe. Certainly doesn't tell the whole story but...

1 hour ago, dhitter said:

The only stat on punters I've seen recently is net yards. A basic essential stat to look at if you are a punter. Colquitt was ranked 19th I believe. Certainly doesn't tell the whole story but...

Isn't there something like average starting position or something? Net yards is just too useless to consider. 

1 hour ago, sith13 said:

Isn't there something like average starting position or something? Net yards is just too useless to consider. 

There was way too many punts this year where we had opportunities to pin opponents back and they'd end up fielding the punt at the 15 or 20 yd line. His leg isn't the same. If he isn't a weapon anymore then there's no reason not to save money there.

Two blocked punts is on the unit as a whole but Colquitt isn't blameless.  Same thing with the botched snaps.

A 15-year career with one organization and a Super Bowl victory to cap it off is nice.  I'm not usually one who voices what I think another person should do with their career, but unless he really needs the money I think he should hang it up.

Also, going with a rookie punter would save us more like $1.5M, at least in just straight salary (I don't know about cap hit details).  That's not going to pay for Chris Jones, but it's not nothing.

14 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

There was way too many punts this year where we had opportunities to pin opponents back and they'd end up fielding the punt at the 15 or 20 yd line. His leg isn't the same. If he isn't a weapon anymore then there's no reason not to save money there.

Yeah....I noticed on many occasions where we were punting around midfield and the fair catch was made up near the 20 yard line. Not what you want. Returner catches it at the 19 and the punter gets credit I guess for a punt "Inside The 20" but truth is it should have been inside the 10.

I like Colquitt. He is a Chiefs lifer. Wouldn't be angry if he was our punter next year but would be fine with a younger, bigger leg.

14 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

We won't be saving any money unless there's someone to replace him, hence the approach of keeping him around until the end of TC assuming he doesn't retire on his own. If Colquitt saves us any cap it'll be just for the wiggle room during the season, we won't be cutting him to sign a guy like Jones, etc. 

26 minutes ago, sith13 said:

We won't be saving any money unless there's someone to replace him, hence the approach of keeping him around until the end of TC assuming he doesn't retire on his own. If Colquitt saves us any cap it'll be just for the wiggle room during the season, we won't be cutting him to sign a guy like Jones, etc. 

Really? We arent gonna be able to sign Chris Jones with the cap savings from a Colquitt release? You sure? I think they can work some magic.

1 hour ago, sith13 said:

1 hour ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Really? We arent gonna be able to sign Chris Jones with the cap savings from a Colquitt release? You sure? I think they can work some magic.

We're going to need every available dollar for Jones.  Releasing Colquitt won't get it done on its own but yes it matters.

2 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

I doubt the deal falls through for 1.5 million difference in the first year. 

37 minutes ago, sith13 said:

I doubt the deal falls through for 1.5 million difference in the first year. 

I'm guessing he is talking about a large signing bonus, thus spreading that out over the life of the contract and then maybe having his base salary for next year only being in the 1-2M range. 

5 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

How many of those were because our ST unit was hot garbage as downing the ball.    He's useful and deserves one more year if he wants. 

4 hours ago, Adamixoye said:

We're going to need every available dollar for Jones.  Releasing Colquitt won't get it done on its own but yes it matters.

If we give Jones $100 million contract, we’ll be in tear down mode in 3-4 years.  You don’t develop longevity by handing out massive contracts (outside of the qb position). If we want to be the modern version of Brady and NE and win a bunch of Super Bowls, guys like jones are gonna have to be sacrificed unless they’re willing to take less. You can’t pay everybody.  

7 minutes ago, moons314 said:

If we give Jones $100 million contract, we’ll be in tear down mode in 3-4 years.  You don’t develop longevity by handing out massive contracts (outside of the qb position). If we want to be the modern version of Brady and NE and win a bunch of Super Bowls, guys like jones are gonna have to be sacrificed unless they’re willing to take less. You can’t pay everybody.  

I'm not necessarily saying we should pay Jones.

I'm saying Colquitt makes too much and we shouldn't overpay him by a penny.

33 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

How many of those were because our ST unit was hot garbage as downing the ball.    He's useful and deserves one more year if he wants. 

I disagree. I believe hes become a liability. I've been unimpressed with his kicks all year. Independent of the players around him. 

1 minute ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

I disagree. I believe hes become a liability. I've been unimpressed with his kicks all year. Independent of the players around him. 

Just by eye I'm not as unimpressed as you are, and I'd still love to see some advanced stats on the whole thing.

But I believe he's average at best, getting paid like he's above average.

It also seems to me that punter is less important to us than it was a few years ago.  We don't have the three and outs that we used to have and we aren't so reliant on field position games.  His first 13 seasons he averaged 79 punts per season.  The past two seasons he averages 46.  It's just not something we should overpay for at this point in our lives. 

Just now, reesebobby said:

It also seems to me that punter is less important to us than it was a few years ago.  We don't have the three and outs that we used to have and we aren't so reliant on field position games.  His first 13 seasons he averaged 79 punts per season.  The past two seasons he averages 46.  It's just not something we should overpay for at this point in our lives. 

I liked this when I said it earlier in the thread, and I still like it because it's correct.