Lenny Dawson still the best?

At what point does Mahomes take over as the greatest Chiefs QB ever?  Another Super Bowl?  Just more years and it will happen naturally?  Two different times so cant compare?  Mahomes is already the best KC QB ever?

24 minutes ago, Balto said:

At what point does Mahomes take over as the greatest Chiefs QB ever?  Another Super Bowl?  Just more years and it will happen naturally?  Two different times so cant compare?  Mahomes is already the best KC QB ever?

It won't take long for me to have Pat overtake him.  Len is a franchise icon no doubt, but he had a lot of success with some marginal quarterback play, one of the best defenses ever, and diminished competition. 

2 different eras and 2 completely different playing styles. I don't think there is any way you can make a true comparison. Most of the younger guys here may or may not know that Dawson used to go to practice and then head to the Channel 9 news studio to report the sports news every night. Back in those days, players had to have a second job because they didn't get multi million dollar contracts. 

Mahomes has Lenny on every aspect. Better weapons, better athleticism, better field vision...etc.  Len Dawson will forever be a KC icon.  But Mahomes is better.  A true generational talent.

My favorite thing to watch, currently, is how the talking heads all have to eat their words.  

13 minutes ago, Wolfscall said:

2 different eras and 2 completely different playing styles. I don't think there is any way you can make a true comparison. Most of the younger guys here may or may not know that Dawson used to go to practice and then head to the Channel 9 news studio to report the sports news every night. Back in those days, players had to have a second job because they didn't get multi million dollar contracts. 

Certainly true however Lenny didn't even win a game in the AFL until he was 26. Is there any reasonable measure where Lenny could even compete with Mahomes? League MVP at 23, Super Bowl MVP at 24. I think that makes arguing against him tough. Either way they both hoisted trophies and that's all that matters. 

13 minutes ago, Wolfscall said:

Even though I wasn’t old enough to remember that era it’s really difficult to compare the eras.  I’ve read about  it that guys had to have had second jobs just to make ends meet.  You also have to consider the training methods sports nutrition medicine and science have changed so dramatically that they are tools used today to help players out that weren’t available back then.  

just impossible to compare.  

31 minutes ago, Okiechief1 said:

Even though I wasn’t old enough to remember that era it’s really difficult to compare the eras.  I’ve read about  it that guys had to have had second jobs just to make ends meet.  You also have to consider the training methods sports nutrition medicine and science have changed so dramatically that they are tools used today to help players out that weren’t available back then.  

That was also an era however where the best athletes still played baseball. I think the overall talent pool has really grown as has the overall competition level. 

I agree, it's really not a fair comparison. I think the only close to  fair way for Mahomes to surpass Lenny is to stay healthy, and keep playing until he surpasses him as the Chiefs all time passing leader.

That will take a few years, but not that long the way the rules are now. Even then it still wouldn't be a totally equal comparison. 

22 minutes ago, Okiechief1 said:

Receivers were mugged, eye gouging in pile ups, fumbles happened long after players were "down". Defense wasn't offsides until the ball was snapped, none of this in the neutral zone shit.

People would consider Ditka (427 rec, 5812 yards and 43 TDs) and Arbanas (198 rec, 3101 yards and 34 TDs) scrubs today.

Completely different era and NO players outside of their own era should ever be compared to today's players.

8 minutes ago, Chiefsfan1963 said:

Receivers were mugged, eye gouging in pile ups, fumbles happened long after players were "down". Defense wasn't offsides until the ball was snapped, none of this in the neutral zone shit.

People would consider Ditka (427 rec, 5812 yards and 43 TDs) and Arbanas (198 rec, 3101 yards and 34 TDs) scrubs today.

Completely different era and NO players outside of their own era should ever be compared to today's players.

You compare players by how dominant they were within their own eras. And that's where Mahomes has Lenny trumped. 

52 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

You compare players by how dominant they were within their own eras. And that's where Mahomes has Lenny trumped. 

name the QB's that were better than Lenny in the day..Namath? 1 SB ..Bart Star maybe. Johnny U? he was the Goat before Brady.

Lenny was acknowledged as an Elit QB for years ..MVPAT only  2 ..let let him age a little bit before  starting to name your illegitimate grandbabies after him. 

Balto's next Thread will be who's cooler Godzilla or MegaGodzilla.. WFCs???

11 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

name the QB's that were better than Lenny in the day..Namath? 1 SB ..Bart Star maybe. Johnny U? he was the Goat before Brady.

Lenny was acknowledged as an Elit QB for years ..MVPAT only  2 ..let let him age a little bit before  starting to name your illegitimate grandbabies after him. 

Mechagodzilla.  There was no MegaGodzilla.  And Mechagodzilla was cooler.

Does "best" refer to talent or accomplishment?  Most people end up splitting the difference somehow when they argue about this.

Pat is clearly more talented, as players of this era are.  But Pat is also better relative to his era.  Was Lenny considered the absolute best in the NFL by a decent margin over a period of two years?  His career was before my time but I don't think this was the case.

Accomplishment-wise Pat has a bit to go, but he's already mostly there with the Super Bowl MVP and regular season MVP.  His peak is already higher than Dawson's.  Just needs to add some longevity.

So, Pat is already the best in one sense.  In the other sense he's not yet, but I don't think he has that far to go.  Just another couple of years at his current level.

3 hours ago, oldtimer said:

I’m simply saying Lenny was never as good relative to his competition as Mahomes has been in his two seasons to his. He never won league MVP in a much smaller league.   2 years as a starter and he’s already won as many playoff games as Lenny did in 14. Mahomes is simply far more physically skilled and is playing at a higher level than Lenny ever did. 

You certainly can’t get to the Hall of Fame in 2 years. But we are watching historical stuff here. I’m just compelled to acknowledge and enjoy it. What better fun debate to have than to weigh in on which of our Super Bowl champion QB is better.  It’s a brave new world. 

3 hours ago, oldtimer said:

Bart Starr.  Roger staubach. Johnny Unitas. Tarkenton. Bradshaw. Jergenson.  Griese. Namath. 

1 hour ago, Thegoatee said:

Mahomes has had the best two years of any KC QB ever. I think we can leave it at that for now. Get to another Super Bowl, let alone win it, I think you can make him best ever Chiefs QB hands down.

Hasn’t this been the best first 36 games of any QB ever? 

15 minutes ago, reesebobby said:

Bart Starr.  Roger staubach. Johnny Unitas. Tarkenton. Bradshaw. Jergenson.  Griese. Namath. 

I'm just going by memory, but I'd probably leave Staubach, Bradshaw, and Tarkenton off that list. Their times seemed a little later than Lenny's.