Contract Offer for Mahomes

3 hours ago, robgar said:

Magic didnt play in the nfl -- there is a stated maximum contract length in the cba of 7 years

Where you getting that info?  I know there have been longer contracts than that.  Vick and Bledsoe come to mind, but that's been a while.  Not saying it isn't true but I don't remember seeing this info anywhere.  Also can't find anything on the interwebs but maybe my google fu is wack.

2 hours ago, jetlord said:

Do you think Brady is playing for the extra income?  Or Rivers?  They play because winning is such a high for anyone who is competitive, not only in sports, but in business, politics, or even getting women.  As long as Mahomes gets his jollys from leading a winning team effectively, he'll want to play.  Injury or a hopeless team is all that will stop him prematurely.  

I hope your right but again, comparing different generations. Some would say "the great generation" had a better drive and worked harder then later generations. I believe players are going to have shorter careers then their predecessors.

There are some that say farmers have different/better work ethic than an officeworker. May be true but I could point out exceptions as well.

Rivers and Brady are different then todays QBs. Not better, not poorer just different mindset.

1 hour ago, xen said:

Where you getting that info?  I know there have been longer contracts than that.  Vick and Bledsoe come to mind, but that's been a while.  Not saying it isn't true but I don't remember seeing this info anywhere.  Also can't find anything on the interwebs but maybe my google fu is wack.

Seems like Tyron Smith signed a 8 year contract with the Cowboys in 2014?

I do not know what the #'s will look like but I take Patrick Mahomes at his word.

He Loves KC

He wants to win

He will get paid....

I think he will work with the team to get a fair contract and still empower the team to WIN.

The idea of % of the Cap is a great way as an example.

w

6 hours ago, Chiefsfan1963 said:

Not a cap guy and never cared about the finances of the team, still don't, but I do have a question for you capologist out there. Everyone agrees that KC needs to sign Mahomes to a team friendly/good contract so he stays here and doesn't prevent the team from winning in the future i.e. Flayko and to a certain extent Wilson.

What if the Chiefs signed Mahomes to a percentage of the teams revenue contract? The organization makes X number of dollars on 2020-2021, Mahomes makes a percentage of that in 2021-2022 season. This way it COULD be a very longterm deal without definite numbers but pretty much be made in a way he would be the highest paid in the league and not hurt the cap numbers. 

Pretty sure that is against the rules.  NFL has a hard cap not a soft cap.

4 hours ago, jetlord said:

Do you think Brady is playing for the extra income?  Or Rivers?  They play because winning is such a high for anyone who is competitive, not only in sports, but in business, politics, or even getting women.  As long as Mahomes gets his jollys from leading a winning team effectively, he'll want to play.  Injury or a hopeless team is all that will stop him prematurely.  

Brady and the Pats are also doing shady stuff....Yes Brady has a considered low contract BUT the Patriots contracted with Brady's TB12 Sports Therapy Centers and Tom has made Millions through that!

Sooooooooo  Maybe Pat should open a PattyCakes Bakery and have the Chiefs order millions of dollars of cupcakes to sell at games!  Then pay him his $25$-$30M a year Brady/Pats style.

13 minutes ago, Balto said:

Pretty sure that is against the rules.  NFL has a hard cap not a soft cap.

5 minutes ago, Balto said:

Brady and the Pats are also doing shady stuff....Yes Brady has a considered low contract BUT the Patriots contracted with Brady's TB12 Sports Therapy Centers and Tom has made Millions through that!

Sooooooooo  Maybe Pat should open a PattyCakes Bakery and have the Chiefs order millions of dollars of cupcakes to sell at games!  Then pay him his $25$-$30M a year Brady/Pats style.

it is under this CBA thats why I think they are waiting to see whats what

MVPats GF owns abuisness..maybe the Chiefs could slide something her way

11 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

it is under this CBA thats why I think they are waiting to see whats what

MVPats GF owns abuisness..maybe the Chiefs could slide something her way

Maybe we should open The Chiefs Coalition Human Fund and we can launder money through it and back to Pat while skimming a little for airfare, game tickets, BBQ and Merch.

Disclaimer for the federal government: This is a joke.

Let's not forget about endorsements.  Mahomes has the look and personality that companies want to represent their products.  That is where he can make the real money.  Half of what my kid wears is Jordan brand clothing and Jordan retired over 15 years ago. Mahomes could be on that level. More Superbowls means more endorsements.  If he takes a little less salary from the Chiefs, we can get him more support on the field, he can win more Superbowls, and he can make more of that endorsement money.

I’m honestly not sure the players association would be ok with Mahomes taking a pay cut.  New top contracts reset that positions value thus if he takes a team friendly deal he could be hurting all the other QBs ability to get paid.  

It sounds good to think he will take a pay cut but I just don’t see it and I think it’s more important to go ahead and make him the highest paid QB but work really hard on managing each years cap hit.  

26 minutes ago, Okiechief1 said:

Clark said it will be 12 to 18 months before they get him signed.  Potentially 3 QBs will have new deals in between that time possibly pushing the number it will take to get Mahomes signed even higher.  

So if it's 12 months, can the Chiefs now sign some of their FAs for this season as long as they keep room to sign Mahomes in 2021?  He'll cost more next year than this one, but it would give the Chiefs room to make a run again this next season. 

7 hours ago, azchief21 said:

Maybe we should open The Chiefs Coalition Human Fund and we can launder money through it and back to Pat while skimming a little for airfare, game tickets, BBQ and Merch.

Disclaimer for the federal government: This is a joke.

Disclaimer for the Mahomes' girlfriend: It's not a joke as long as you are fine with it.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/02/05/business-of-football-tom-brady-patrick-mahomes-contracts

The Most Likely Outcomes as Patrick Mahomes and Tom Brady Negotiate New Contracts

This offseason will have a QB market like we've never seen before, and our Business of Football analyst has an idea of what to expect as Patrick Mahomes and Tom Brady negotiate their next contracts.
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Before getting to the column on Tom Brady’s future employer and Patrick Mahomes’s contract, a word about the man receiving a well-deserved love-fest this week: Andy Reid.

I was Matt Hasselbeck’s agent when he was coming out of Boston College in 1998. Matt was not invited to the combine, so we arranged a one-day tryout at BC and invited every team in the league. One team responded: the Packers, who sent a quarterbacks coach named Andy Reid. With Reid our only guest, I offered to pick him up at Logan airport and drive him to the workout. Well, that presented a problem, as 1) I had never met or seen Reid; and 2) I drove a tiny sports car.

When Reid reached my car, we both laughed. I hastily pushed the passenger seat all the way back, threw everything in the trunk and squeezed him in the passenger seat like a jack-in-the-box. Notwithstanding the drive, he loved Matt and convinced the Packers to draft him in the sixth round. And that was how Matt’s 18-year career began.

And when I moved to Philadelphia from Green Bay, 10 years ago, the last thing I wanted to do was to work for another NFL team, but Andy—and Eagles president Joe Banner—called needing some help and I couldn’t resist. I helped them out as a consultant for a couple of years and saw Andy’s calm and thoughtful leadership of the Eagles.

I have lived in Green Bay and suburban Philadelphia, both minutes from where Andy lived. His impact and that of his family clearly resonate; he and his wife Tammy have left indelible impressions on communities. The NFL world loves Andy Reid, and that is rightfully being felt through the football world right now.

Skipping the tom brady crap

MVP-level contract for Mahomes? Maybe, but not now

Another potential quarterback contract involves the most discussed NFL player over the past month, the past week and perhaps the next decade. Now that the CBA-mandated three-year waiting period for renegotiation of a player’s rookie contract has passed, the Chiefs can address Patrick Mahomes’s contract. And the narrative is that 1) the Chiefs will get this done; and 2) the contract will be craaaazzzzyyy!

As readers of this space know, if and when the contract is completed, we need to see through the hype. Numbers will blare with “up to $200 million in total value!” and “up to $40 million per year!,” but, as we know, the saying “the devil is in the details” is nowhere more applicable than with NFL contracts.

Here are the questions that I—and those in the business of football, including agents and teams—will want to know: What is the cash flow after one, two and three years? What is the true (no contingencies) guarantee at the time of signing? Is the third year fully guaranteed, with no contingencies? The fourth year? The entire contract?

NFL teams have fallen into a pattern with elite quarterback contracts: a huge signing bonus and early “guarantees” for up to three years with nonguaranteed earnings after that. Even for the best players in the NFL—save the unique situation of Kirk Cousins—a fully guaranteed contract similar to NBA or MLB player deals has been unattainable.

Far from free

Here is the “problem” for Mahomes and his agent Leigh Steinberg: The Chiefs have two years of contract control over Mahomes, plus potential franchise tags. The rookie compensation system allows management to control the contracts of even the best of the best. Thus, they will not succumb to any groundbreaking structure. Thus, they will likely offer Mahomes a huge bonus that will both give him a lifetime of financial security and be too enticing for he and Steinberg to turn down. And beyond the massive early money of the deal, the Chiefs will have the terms they desire, including contingent guarantees past the early low-risk part of the contract, even for the league’s most important player.

The only way elite players will ever break the guarantee ceiling as NBA and MLB players have done is to gain true leverage by waiting to get as close as possible to free agency. Or, as in the case of Cousins, to make it there. It is very hard for superstar young quarterbacks to wait, knowing teams have the weapon of the franchise tag in their pocket. Teams know this and use it strategically. In the past couple of years, superstars like Aaron Rodgers and Russell Wilson could have really pressured their teams—and the league—by waiting, but they could not resist accepting contracts. We’ll see if Mahomes and, to a lesser extent, Dak Prescott, can wait; my sense is they can’t and won’t.

It is true that the Mahomes contract numbers, when negotiated, will be craaaazzzzzyyyyy! But, unless Mahomes can wait until closer to free agency, it is the Chiefs, not Mahomes, who will ultimately “win” this negotiation.

• 1 month later...

The thing that frustrates me about the upcoming Mahomes deal is how the talking heads are viewing it...especially in light of Mahomes recent statement regarding getting the deal. Every former player is like "You (Mahomes) need to get paid. Get as much as you can and let the organization figure out how to handle the other needs on the team." I understand this....but when anyone suggests Mahomes might consider a hometown discount these ex players get angry and heated sometimes. They talk as if Mahomes isn't careful Clark Hunt and Veach will try to pay him a small fraction of his worth. Take advantage of his youth and good nature and such. Bullcrap! I believe the Chiefs are looking at Russell Wilson's deal as the basement and 40 million per as the ceiling. Sure they want to do the deal as close to the basement as they can get. That's just good business. But tv analysts acting like Mahomes would be destitute if he cut the Chiefs a deal to have a few mil to get another quality player. Why?

For those who haven't seen it, in the last two weeks Matt Verderame talked with Mahomes' agent.  His agent basically said that while they want to get Mahomes what he deserves they want to ensure that the chiefs can maintain a good roster.  The agent was quoted as saying "Quarterback greatness is judged by Super Bowls"

When you have an AGENT saying stuff like this, you have a player that doesn't care what the media or former thinks.  You have a player that has watched Tom Brady become the GOAT by taking WAY less than market value in order to get Lombardi Trophies.  

I think Mahomes is a humble kid from Texas that knows that no matter how good or bad of a deal he takes that between his contract and his endorsements he never has to worry about money for himself or his family for the rest of his life...and is willing to take a cut to be the BEST EVER.

My personal guess when this is said and done:

7 years/190-200 million, with somewhere between 150-Fully guaranteed

And to be completely honest, I can realistically see him going even lower.  I'm sure that Mahomes has talked to Brady, and I'd be willing to bet that Brady told him the formula for greatness is to not cripple the team.  While being the GOAT, Brady has constantly signed contracts put him around 5-7 in top QB earnings at time of contract while being around the middle of the league by the time that contract ends.   Even his most recent contract - 2 years at 23 mill per year put him at #13 and won him a Superbowl at 41 years old.  

I don't say this as a homer, but as a person that truly believes that Mahomes would do this for any team he played for with the success he's had.  He's gonna go the Brady route...

38 minutes ago, WichitaZRide said:

For those who haven't seen it, in the last two weeks Matt Verderame talked with Mahomes' agent.  His agent basically said that while they want to get Mahomes what he deserves they want to ensure that the chiefs can maintain a good roster.  The agent was quoted as saying "Quarterback greatness is judged by Super Bowls"

When you have an AGENT saying stuff like this, you have a player that doesn't care what the media or former thinks.  You have a player that has watched Tom Brady become the GOAT by taking WAY less than market value in order to get Lombardi Trophies.  

I think Mahomes is a humble kid from Texas that knows that no matter how good or bad of a deal he takes that between his contract and his endorsements he never has to worry about money for himself or his family for the rest of his life...and is willing to take a cut to be the BEST EVER.

My personal guess when this is said and done:

7 years/190-200 million, with somewhere between 150-Fully guaranteed

And to be completely honest, I can realistically see him going even lower.  I'm sure that Mahomes has talked to Brady, and I'd be willing to bet that Brady told him the formula for greatness is to not cripple the team.  While being the GOAT, Brady has constantly signed contracts put him around 5-7 in top QB earnings at time of contract while being around the middle of the league by the time that contract ends.   Even his most recent contract - 2 years at 23 mill per year put him at #13 and won him a Superbowl at 41 years old.  

I don't say this as a homer, but as a person that truly believes that Mahomes would do this for any team he played for with the success he's had.  He's gonna go the Brady route...

Mahomes might feel that way, but it's also possible that his agent is blowing smoke.  Agents are notorious manipulators and saying Mahomes will take less than maximum is good PR but until the contract is signed, it means nothing.  

3 hours ago, oldtimer said:

Tells me the Tits are out of the Brady sweepstakes

Tells me they were never really in it, but knew they might be over a barrel with the possibility of not having 2 tags if the new CBA passed.  They were using Brady as leverage vs Tannehill.  Looks like that plan failed miserably.  Tannehill's agent called their bluff.