How we won SB LIV

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2020/2/6/21120449/the-chiefs-were-exactly-who-we-thought-they-were-and-won-super-bowl-liv

Good article.  The short version is that we basically played our game, and maybe the one way in which we were different in the game was Reid's 4th down aggressiveness, which the analytics-oriented guys have been calling for all year.

It’s no secret how we won. Andy worked hard on a ball control offense the second half of the year which gave us another weapon in our arsenal. We ran the ball very effectively as a perfect compliment to our elite passing game and it set up a scenario where just like the Titans game we forced the 49ers into being something they are not.

That last 7:00 it was Jimmy G vs the MVP.  We couldn’t have asked for more and the result was predictable.  Even there it was the running game that sealed it. 

Well, I thought it was a good article.  Again, the main point is that we just played our game plus sprinkled in some aggressive 4th down calls.  Obviously Mahomes is the biggest reason, the article isn't disputing that at all and that's part of the article.  But there were other factors that were foreseeable by anybody watching the team over the course of the year.  We didn't have to do anything wildly different, we just had to execute.

I don't agree that it had anything to do with "ball control," as we were never in a spot to really need to run out the clock until the series with Williams' last TD.  We did run effectively in spots where we needed to, but that wasn't ball control.  That was being aggressive in going for those 4th downs along with good playcalling and execution.

12 hours ago, Adamixoye said:

Well, I thought it was a good article.  Again, the main point is that we just played our game plus sprinkled in some aggressive 4th down calls.  Obviously Mahomes is the biggest reason, the article isn't disputing that at all and that's part of the article.  But there were other factors that were foreseeable by anybody watching the team over the course of the year.  We didn't have to do anything wildly different, we just had to execute.

I don't agree that it had anything to do with "ball control," as we were never in a spot to really need to run out the clock until the series with Williams' last TD.  We did run effectively in spots where we needed to, but that wasn't ball control.  That was being aggressive in going for those 4th downs along with good playcalling and execution.

I think it was more of Andy forcing SF out of their gameplan... which was running the ball. Exactly how we stopped Tenn. In fact, if you'll recall in the days leading up to the game, Jones commented that we wanted to force JimmyG to throw the ball, commenting that he only threw like 8 times vs GB. Of course the press made a stink about it, implying that the Chiefs were disrespecting Garafalo... when the truth is they weren't. The reporter asked Jones if they wanted the ball in JG's hands and he said "yeah, 1000%."  When they asked Garafalo what he thought about Jones' comment, he said "I love it."

That game was won because they did precisely what Jones was talking about. He was instrumental in knocking down several of JG's throws, and of course Clark had the game-winning sack. We forced them to put the ball in Garafalo's hands.

Kind of off the subject, but relates to winning it all. I really like the last running play to seal the win. It looked like a classic run play with the fullback lead blocking. I remember Williams saying that Sherman told him "just follow me" That's pretty awesome because Sherman and Fisher did a good job canceling out the Niners defenders.