Opponents set for 2020 season

Here's a look at who the Chiefs will take on at Arrowhead Stadium next season along with their 2019 record:

Atlanta Falcons (7-9)

Carolina Panthers (5-11)

Denver Broncos (7-9)

Houston Texans (10-6)*

Las Vegas Raiders (7-9)

Los Angeles Chargers (5-11)

New England Patriots (12-4)*

New York Jets (7-9)

And here are the Chiefs' road opponents in 2020:

Baltimore Ravens (14-2)*

Buffalo Bills (10-6)*

Denver Broncos (7-9)

Las Vegas Raiders (7-9)

Los Angeles Chargers (5-11)

Miami Dolphins (5-11)

New Orleans Saints (13-3)*

Tampa Bay Buccaneers (7-9)

* indicates team made playoffs in 2019

Obviously the final scheduling, especially the Thursday games, will be the most important deciding factor but overall I love the competition. Playing both Saints (indoors shootout) and Ravens on the road will be a great test for the SB run, might have to add Bills to that group if they  keep up this year's form. 

14-2 is very likely IMO. 

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

Why is it that the Ravens, Pats and Texicans seem to be always on our schedule??? or is it just me??

just on the face of things I'm thinking 8-8.. right Wilkes?

Probably because they are Division winners and division winners play each other the next season.

Not trying to be overly confident, but that doesn't look too bad. The Chiefs have been a really good road team since Reid has been coach, so not that worried about the tough games.

Having said that, who knows what those teams will be like when the season starts, let alone the Chiefs. It' will be fun being the defending champs either way. 

3 hours ago, oldtimer said:

Why is it that the Ravens, Pats and Texicans seem to be always on our schedule??? or is it just me??

just on the face of things I'm thinking 8-8.. right Wilkes?

When the Chiefs win the division every year, they play the other division winners.  That's why they always play the Pats and recently the Dirty Birds.  At least NE is in Arrowhead this time.  The home schedule looks winnable, but road games at N.O., BAL, and BUFF will be challenges.  Five games against playoff teams and all the rest against teams with losing records. 

Hoping some of our tough games get bunched up.  This early at least that looks like a fairly easy schedule for a first place team.  Be nice if they had a tough stretch later in the year to get playoff honed. 

Baltimore

Buffalo

Nawlins 

Patsies if Brady returns

Houston

Atlanta if they can get it together.

These are all tough games.

Actually, we played the Ravens last year (2018) because we played the whole AFC North.  Steelers were the 2017 division champions.

We play every AFC team once every three years at least, and every NFC team once every four years at least.  Those extra games are teams that finish in the same slot as us in other divisions so if we keep dominating the division we'll keep playing the division winners.

Not scared of any of the rest of the West until they show it.

We made Lock look pretty silly in our one game against him - he didn't really impress against anyone of note.  Not scared of the Raiders.  Chargers seem like the best chance at a quick turn-around to playoff caliber if they can get a decent QB, but that's a big if.

20 minutes ago, xen said:

Anybody think any of the Rest of the West gets it together?  Drew Lock looked pretty damn good late in the year.  Still kills me that the fucking Donkeys drafted him.

Meh. Lock and the Broncos looked completely overmatched at Arrowhead after a bunch of trash talk early in the week. Better is relative for a team that’s been our b*tch for the last 4 years. Reality is last year was even uglier for them against us getting blown out and embarrassed twice. 

16 minutes ago, Adamixoye said:

Not scared of any of the rest of the West until they show it.

We made Lock look pretty silly in our one game against him - he didn't really impress against anyone of note.  Not scared of the Raiders.  Chargers seem like the best chance at a quick turn-around to playoff caliber if they can get a decent QB, but that's a big if.

Wondering if they are in the market for Stafford.  Chargers defense is legit if not hamstring by a turnover machine offense. 

41 minutes ago, xen said:

Anybody think any of the Rest of the West gets it together?  Drew Lock looked pretty damn good late in the year.  Still kills me that the fucking Donkeys drafted him.

Agreed. If they are able to cultivate that talent and put weapons around him they are gonna be a pain to deal with. Fangio is an excellent defensive coach, and adding Shurmur and Shula were good moves on the offensive staff.

7 hours ago, xen said:

I think any of them can, but not sure who will. The Chargers are tough on defense and have some talent on offense, it just depends on who will be their QB. The Raiders are slowly putting it together and have some good young players. I'm not sure about the Broncos, but they have a tough defense also and I agree about Lock. 

26 minutes ago, Thegoatee said:

That Ravens game sounds like a late November early December Sunday Night game.

Hard to not think we’d win the division again at minimum. No top tier QBs to rival Mahomes. Maybe the AFC west will turn into the AFC East of the last two decades.

There’s not a QB in the AFC near Mahomes level. At this point only bad luck with injuries is keeping us from being a major factor again in January.  I expect us iat least n AFC Title games every year for the foreseeable future.