Dark Horse Chiefs Player for 2014 Season

It highlights how many rosters spots are reliant on unproven players making a contribution.  Far too many to think the Chiefs will be a playoff competitor.

Yes, it does.  It doesn't rule out the possiblity, though, especially with our coaching staff.  And injury misfortune can happen to either us or to our competitors in the AFC West.  But I would much rather be in a situation of being a decent team, with proven stars, a great coaching staff, and a huge number of young guys that include some who might make big contributions, than I would be a team that has been great for several years, been to super bowls, and has a full roster of guys all getting a year older and with an aged QB, trying to hang on for one last hurrah.  I prefer this.  Its intriguing, exciting, unpredictable, and is future-oriented.    I like this situation much better. Its more fun having a team that, when it loses a game, thinks of it as a learning experience, than a team that, when it loses a game, causes fans and players to question their entire team and its future.

Yes, it does.  It doesn't rule out the possiblity, though, especially with our coaching staff.  And injury misfortune can happen to either us or to our competitors in the AFC West.  But I would much rather be in a situation of being a decent team, with proven stars, a great coaching staff, and a huge number of young guys that include some who might make big contributions, than I would be a team that has been great for several years, been to super bowls, and has a full roster of guys all getting a year older and with an aged QB, trying to hang on for one last hurrah.  I prefer this.  Its intriguing, exciting, unpredictable, and is future-oriented.    I like this situation much better. Its more fun having a team that, when it loses a game, thinks of it as a learning experience, than a team that, when it loses a game, causes fans and players to question their entire team and its future.

I don't hold our coaching staff in the same regard as you, but of course anything is possible.  The best seasons are always the ones like last year, where I had few expectations and was very happily surprised.

DB is a real problem.

Our average WR torched them today according to camp reports on ESPN.

Yep.  Ron Parker and Marcus Cooper as starters is a real scary proposition. I hope Gaines gets up to speed quickly and steals one of those spots.  Otherwise the pass rush better be the one we saw the first half of last year and Vance Walker better be the stud several seem to think he will.

Yep.  Ron Parker and Marcus Cooper as starters is a real scary proposition. I hope Gaines gets up to speed quickly and steals one of those spots.  Otherwise the pass rush better be the one we saw the first half of last year and Vance Walker better be the stud several seem to think he will.

I hope Cooper pans out like he showed some flashes of last year. Parker is pedestrian in my view.  It is a "potentially" bad problem.  Sean Smith will likely clear his head and step up.  But that is just an assumption.  He may not be fully motivated and/or may have real drug or personal problems. We'll have to wait and see there. Remember, too, that if the staff thinks it is a big vulnerability, they WILL make a deal before the season for a credible  guy from another team in trade, someone who is in late career who can help for a year or two, a smart veteran who can help guide and coach the young guys.  I am certain that, if it looks like it is a bad problem, we will pick up somebody like that before the season.  The staff is smart, and Clark Hunt wants to win.  I don't think they will ever allow a late collapse to happen again like that playoff game against Indy. 

I don't hold our coaching staff in the same regard as you, but of course anything is possible.  The best seasons are always the ones like last year, where I had few expectations and was very happily surprised.

Reid was very successful for a long time in Philadelphia (fourteen years straight and five conference championship appearances), and I read somewhere in the national sports press that our coaching staff is considered among the top five in the NFL. Reid was a general manager for two years himself and works extremely well with Dorsey, who he was with in Green Bay.  Sutton's reputation and the other coaches are golden.  So, my remarks are based on that...and last year's turnaround, of course.

I agree with most of that bil...Our coaches seem to be VERY solid.

I still think the team will end up being VERY aggressive scanning the waiver wire  for CB's that are Training Camp Cuts this year.

w

Archived