Thursday Night Home Opener

So USUALLY the winner of the Super Bowl gets to open the season at home on Thursday night and they always try to make it a good game.  Anyone wanna speculate on who its gonna be against?  Here's the options:

Broncos

Chargers

Falcons

Jets

Panthers

Patriots

Raiders

Texans

I basically have two guesses.  If Tom Brady is on any of these teams, it will be that team.  Otherwise I'm guessing the Texans. What say you, members of the group?

4 minutes ago, WichitaZRide said:

So USUALLY the winner of the Super Bowl gets to open the season at home on Thursday night and they always try to make it a good game.  Anyone wanna speculate on who its gonna be against?  Here's the options:

Broncos

Chargers

Falcons

Jets

Panthers

Patriots

Raiders

Texans

I basically have two guesses.  If Tom Brady is on any of these teams, it will be that team.  Otherwise I'm guessing the Texans. What say you, members of the group?

Patriots, no matter who is at QB, they want a AFC Championship preview!

1 minute ago, reesebobby said:

Texans or Patriots seem to make the most sense.  I could see them focusing on the Watson/Mahomes thing. 

Not to mention that was a fun ass playoff game.  Well 3/4's of it anyway.  Wouldn't mind seeing a rematch in the opener.

34 minutes ago, Chiefmanzada said:

Yea definitely Mahomes vs Watson. 

would love it to be Denver tho. after those Elway years it will be nice to crush them and showem whose boss for the upcoming decade

Won't happen. The Chiefs have NEVER opened at home against Denver. Opened at home against every AFC West team past and current, i.e. Seattle, but never against Denver. However, Denver has hosted the Chiefs before on opening day.

I wrote the NFL about this and of course it fell on deaf ears.

1 hour ago, Chiefsfan1963 said:

Won't happen. The Chiefs have NEVER opened at home against Denver. Opened at home against every AFC West team past and current, i.e. Seattle, but never against Denver. However, Denver has hosted the Chiefs before on opening day.

I wrote the NFL about this and of course it fell on deaf ears.

Just wondering why you cared enough to write the league about this? Does is it really matter in any way? You also have to consider the Chiefs are at the mercy of the Royals schedule early in the season just to have a home opener at all. In fact the Royals play at home the entire NFL opening weekend which could set up a possibiilty we don't get the game at all. More likely the Royals will just move their start back a few hours.

3 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

Just wondering why you cared enough to write the league about this? Does is it really matter in any way? You also have to consider the Chiefs are at the mercy of the Royals schedule early in the season just to have a home opener at all. In fact the Royals play at home the entire NFL opening weekend which could set up a possibiilty we don't get the game at all. More likely the Royals will just move their start back a few hours.

Was just curious.

See people in here bitch about just about everything but does nothing about. I was curious, so instead of talking about it in here I actually acted on it.

1 hour ago, Chiefsfan1963 said:

Was just curious.

See people in here bitch about just about everything but does nothing about. I was curious, so instead of talking about it in here I actually acted on it.

I guess me question is why bitch about something that makes absolutely no difference to anything. It’s a fluke we’ve never opened vs Denver. at home is the most reasonable response. Either way the Broncos are 1-16 all time in December.at Arrowhead.  So ho, ho, ho Broncos.  Hope to see you later rather than sooner next year. 

I realize the Royals will be dogshit again this year, so September baseball will be an afterthought in these parts, but I saw something last week (can't remember where now) about that Thursday opener being a problem because of scheduling with the Royals.  

Regarding the Royals  wasn’t their a Monday night game (can’t remember how years ago) where the Royals played a day game and the Chiefs played a night game.   I’m wanting to say the Royals even moved their start back to a day game to make it happen.  

Seems like something similar happened to another team where the stadium was being used by by baseball and the NFL wanted a game there.  NFL got their way.  I’m wanting to say the Ravens.  Have no idea if the Ravens and Orioles have ever shared a stadium. 

18 hours ago, WichitaZRide said:

Broncos

Chargers

Falcons

Jets

Panthers

Patriots

Raiders

Texans

Usually, yes, but last year I think it was GB-CHI as part of the 100 year celebration?  I hope they go back to it, I would love to have the Thu night home opener.

Royals thing should be fixable.

4 hours ago, Okiechief1 said:

Regarding the Royals  wasn’t their a Monday night game (can’t remember how years ago) where the Royals played a day game and the Chiefs played a night game.   I’m wanting to say the Royals even moved their start back to a day game to make it happen.  

Seems like something similar happened to another team where the stadium was being used by by baseball and the NFL wanted a game there.  NFL got their way.  I’m wanting to say the Ravens.  Have no idea if the Ravens and Orioles have ever shared a stadium. 

There's some info in this article that answers your questions.    

BTW, the Orioles and Ravens did share Memorial Stadium for a couple of years but this scheduling conflict was years later. 

17 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

Looks like on the 10th it's already a 1:35 start for the Royals against the A's.  It would be hilarious to player the new Las Vegas team that same day....

42 minutes ago, soonerborn77 said:

Looks like on the 10th it's already a 1:35 start for the Royals against the A's.  It would be hilarious to player the new Las Vegas team that same day....

They’d have to move that back at least 2 hours to make it work.  We play at home at 1 on that Sunday too, so SNF would be a problem too. Don’t be shocked if we don’t get opener (although I’d still say it’s likeky we do).  
I like your Oakland/left Oakland angle. 😂 

5 hours ago, Okiechief1 said:

Key to that Monday game was we got the dreaded game 2 late night start (around 8:30 I think).  I think they need about a 9 hour spread to make it work. With 7:25 kickoff that doesn’t leave much room. 

46 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

Key to that Monday game was we got the dreaded game 2 late night start (around 8:30 I think).  I think they need about a 9 hour spread to make it work. With 7:25 kickoff that doesn’t leave much room. 

It was 9:15 actually. Fuckin' ridiculous for our time zone if you ask me but our opponent was San Diego.    

I arranged to take that Tuesday off work.    

11 minutes ago, FurpJ said:

It was 9:15 actually. Fuckin' ridiculous for our time zone if you ask me but our opponent was San Diego.    

I arranged to take that Tuesday off work.    

I actually went to both games and somehow managed alcohol enough to make it to the end. LONG DAY!