Josh Norman

4 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

It was better than ok. This team was 8th in pass defense. And just arbitrarily subtracting Breeland makes no sense either. He may love it here and be a priority for us.

And why would you take out the free agents? Why not take out the trades as well? That eliminates Ward and Fuller. Hell take out the draft picks too. We have the worst secondary in the league now. Fuck. What do we do?

What's your point?  You take out the free agents because they're not signed to play next season.  We're not talking about players who came by free agency.  It's about players on last season's roster that need new contracts. Breeland and Fuller aren't signed and Breeland  is making noises like he expect big bucks which will price him out of KC reach.  It has nothing to do with the previous DBs.

3 hours ago, mex said:

technically we can call it a first round pick, but I see it as a high second

sometimes you gotta trade up to get an important position of need

like MVPat, and like SF did with Bosa... neither team is in the SB without them

I see your point that one can find value in FA or lower picks... there's no doubt about that

the question in my mind at least, is what is our biggest 'position of need'?

IMO we need LB, secondary (CB and S), and OL 

I'm thinking we can use free agency for both the OL and LB corps, as well as to replace anyone we lose on the DL to FA

I agree we can find value in the later rounds... especially at LB

IMO CB and S are our most important needs... which should be our prime focus in the early rounds

what made the Pats so great for so long, is player evaluation... how they found value in FA and in the later rounds

I think Andy and Brett are up to the task... and considering we're a champion, and how many great FAs are out there who want a ring... it's gonna be a fun offseason

Why is safety a top need?  Thornhill has shown he can play every down effectively and HB isnt going anywhere.  Watt didn't set the world on fire, but he's backup and Fuller can play a role in three safety situations.  It's always good to upgrade, but I don't see safety as a priority. 

44 minutes ago, jetlord said:

What's your point?  You take out the free agents because they're not signed to play next season.  We're not talking about players who came by free agency.  It's about players on last season's roster that need new contracts. Breeland and Fuller aren't signed and Breeland  is making noises like he expect big bucks which will price him out of KC reach.  It has nothing to do with the previous DBs.

Oh you meant it's a crappy group going forward? Lmao. I thought you meant it was a crappy group last year. My mistake.

12 hours ago, mex said:

technically we can call it a first round pick, but I see it as a high second

sometimes you gotta trade up to get an important position of need

like MVPat, and like SF did with Bosa... neither team is in the SB without them

I see your point that one can find value in FA or lower picks... there's no doubt about that

the question in my mind at least, is what is our biggest 'position of need'?

IMO we need LB, secondary (CB and S), and OL 

I'm thinking we can use free agency for both the OL and LB corps, as well as to replace anyone we lose on the DL to FA

I agree we can find value in the later rounds... especially at LB

IMO CB and S are our most important needs... which should be our prime focus in the early rounds

what made the Pats so great for so long, is player evaluation... how they found value in FA and in the later rounds

I think Andy and Brett are up to the task... and considering we're a champion, and how many great FAs are out there who want a ring... it's gonna be a fun offseason

Get a guard and lb OR cb in FA. Then use draft for the rest. This depends on Jones. If he does not resign we can use that cap for these positions. A tag and trade would give us more ammo for draft to get the players or move around and get ones we really want. Yeah it will suck without Jones but the pay off is we retain our own, get a couple FA and more draft picks. Plus we still could get Pennel, use Speaks, have Nnadi and Saunders too. They still and will do fine if we retain the ones we want. Still may have enough too for Fuller, Breeland, Etc some combination of our FA. Players will want to come here, especially after seeing Suggs do it and love it here.

3 hours ago, Balto said:

So Breeland, Fuller and Claiborne are Free Agents.  I’d consider that two starting corners we gotta figure out.

id still like to see Breeland resigned and trade our 1st for Peterson.

Considering we are looking at losing Chris Jones and that we could easily lose both Breeland and Fuller to free agency, where are we going to get the money to pay Patrick Peterson? 

4 minutes ago, SarcasticOne said:

Considering we are looking at losing Chris Jones and that we could easily lose both Breeland and Fuller to free agency, where are we going to get the money to pay Patrick Peterson? 

Plenty of cap space can be provided. 14 million alone cutting Watkins.

you two need to get a life if something that trivial  compels you to comment. Is  the 32 pick really head and shoulders about the 33rd or even  34th pick ??.. I think not but the 33rd does come at about  a $2.5 Mil savings over the 32 pick. Personally I'd take the 33 & 34 pick over the 31&32

2 hours ago, oldtimer said:

you two need to get a life if something that trivial  compels you to comment. Is  the 32 pick really head and shoulders about the 33rd or even  34th pick ??.. I think not but the 33rd does come at about  a $2.5 Mil savings over the 32 pick. Personally I'd take the 33 & 34 pick over the 31&32

Yes, but the top 32 picks come with a fifth year option, while second rounders are locked in at four years. It nice to have that fifth year to hold onto talent n a rookie contract. Just a bit more leverage for the team. Of course, that only matters if the player’s performance lives up to first round talent expectations. 

3 hours ago, oldtimer said:

33rd is cheaper but 32nd has a 5th year option. I think 32nd is the best pick to trade down as some teams will value that 5th year and will give up a decent mid round pick only to move up a spot or two which should help us with so many critical positions to fill. 

In terms of the talent it's basically same guys with the position decided based on the team need. 

22 hours ago, jetlord said:

More of a small group than a crappy group although Ward and Fenten aren't exactly top #1 shutdown corners. 

I’m resigning Fuller if we can get him at a Steven Nelson contract.  Then drafting a CB in the first two rounds and finally looking for another 1 year prove it deal from a veteran coming off a down or injury plagued year.  

If I resigned Fuller, I would play him at Safety. Fuller can’t play outside and Fenton looks to be a good slot. I see a lot of 2 CB and 3 S from Spags. 

I love how he covered the CBs weaknesses. Head S help deep for Breeland due to struggles with the deep ball and S help on the inside of Ward due struggle with ins and slants.

5 minutes ago, Calichief said:

I agree, but they won’t be able to. Breeland is going to get paid. Fuller is young and going to get paid. We need to pay Ward and keep Fenton. 

Ward is already in town and Fenton will be here for a while. Not sure what Fuller's market is but he should be easier to keep if we want to go that route. Breeland is definitely leaving for a big deal, too bad he might not bring in a 3rd with all the QBs in FA. 

6 hours ago, oldtimer said:

Yeah I guess it must come as a shock to you that an extra year of player control isn't trivial to other people. This is another reason why teams try to trade back into rd 1 when they see a player they covet, which could be a huge bargaining chip.

That's exactly how Baltimore obtained the pick they used to draft the league MVP. So no, the difference between those picks isnt as small as you make it sound.

5 hours ago, oldtimer said:

you two need to get a life if something that trivial  compels you to comment.

And then you replied to us...welcome to the internet.

5 hours ago, oldtimer said:

Is  the 32 pick really head and shoulders about the 33rd or even  34th pick ??.. I think not but the 33rd does come at about  a $2.5 Mil savings over the 32 pick. Personally I'd take the 33 & 34 pick over the 31&32

The point is that it's a silly thing to say, but also a little inaccurate.  It's just a cliche that's not as insightful as some people make it out to be.  How often do we refer to early 2nds as "basically late 1sts"?  It's true that in player quality there is unlikely to be huge gap, but picking earlier and getting the guy you want is still...picking earlier and getting the guy you want.  In addition to there being tangible differences in the contracts (money and years of control).

Almost every cb in the nfl gets torched by good wrs if they are targeted. Cbs fall off a cliff productivity wise the same as rbs. Even when cbs are playing well they can get picked on, for instance Charvarius ward sucked the first few games, played like a god middle of the season, and sucked the last 6 games again. Its silly to pay for cb position. Its easier to pay a chris jones and back him up with decent cbs and a stud safety field general type.

money spent on d should be at interior pass rush and safety. After that try to plug in solid guys and rookies at the rest of the positions