Can it be debated that the Chiefs were “all in” on this season

I’d say absolutely yes. This was a master stroke of drafting and trading that had its origins even starting with Dorseys tenure but everything was done to make this happen this year! No stone unturned, with varying results. The Chiefs appeared to throw it all in this year and it freakin worked! 

Usually its hard to say a team goes all in when they're year one of a defensive schematic change. We were aggressive and the cards fell just right one year ahead of schedule I think if you consider things defensively.  Pat will keep us at the brink every year, but the players buying into Spags and the system as quickly as they did was the key to it all.

Pretty long term vision I thing. It looks like all in because the huge investment on D, but I think they just had to make a huge change with Spags. It didn’t feel like a mortgage the future for this year. Man this D just doesn’t work without the Honey Badger. Clark is a stud, but Honey Badger is far and away the guy that makes this scheme work IMHO.

Guys. They paid big dollars to some impact players and brought them here in a win now situation. Mahomes contract might make them ordinary in some spots in the next couple years. They had to win at least one on his rookie contract. This was planned 

1 minute ago, gochiefsgo said:

Guys. They paid big dollars to some impact players and brought them here in a win now situation. Mahomes contract might make them ordinary in some spots in the next couple years. They had to win at least one on his rookie contract. This was planned 

Can’t argue that. Just saying the true impact players they brought in were for long term.

I think we went all in, in the sense that I don't think there were other obvious moves on the table that would have been better than what we did.  We spent a lot of money and also gave up a lot of draft capital to upgrade from Ford to Clark, as well as some of the other trades we made in the draft.  Hiring Spags instead of maintaining continuity was an all-in move as well.

At the same time, we went "all in" as smartly as possible.  We've tried to maintain as much flexibility as possible going forward for Pat's contract and other areas of need.

52 minutes ago, DieHard said:

HB is defensive MVP in my book. That guy did everything and switched WRs with perfection in the zone scheme. Rushed great when asked. Swiss Army knife. 

Second half of the season The Landlord was the best safety in football. I’m not sure Berry ever played at that level.  

2 hours ago, gochiefsgo said:

Do we have all of our first second and third round draft picks the next 5 years. Yes. Meanwhile the Texans and Rams don’t have another first round pick until 2022.  We didn’t go all in. This isn’t hard.  

2 hours ago, Adamixoye said:

I think we went all in, in the sense that I don't think there were other obvious moves on the table that would have been better than what we did.  We spent a lot of money and also gave up a lot of draft capital to upgrade from Ford to Clark, as well as some of the other trades we made in the draft.  Hiring Spags instead of maintaining continuity was an all-in move as well.

At the same time, we went "all in" as smartly as possible.  We've tried to maintain as much flexibility as possible going forward for Pat's contract and other areas of need.

Jalen Ramsey and Minkah Fitzgerald. 

5 minutes ago, Adamixoye said:

I think you can make a reasonable argument that Ramsey would have disrupted our chemistry, and that CB wasn't our need anyway.

Veach went after both those guys but when the price went sky high he didn’t panic and stuck with his 1 year signings Breeland and Claiborne. Again. We didn’t go all in and our future has more potential because of it.  Meanwhile the Texans and Rams did go all in and now have real issues going forward without multiple years of early picks.  

I just don’t see “all in” this past season.  Think it was more of need and trying to stay at the same level.

like Ford and Houston....Veach either had to stay with them or cut/trade and replace.  End of the day he replaced Ford with a guy they thought was much better all around fit for Spags 4-3.  I remember people think we lost Ford and Houston(still had a little left) and only got Frank Clark.....This was NOT a all in move in most people’s eyes during the off-season.

Then we cut Berry.....Yes he gave us nothing BUT HoneyBadger was his replacement NOT a all in move.

McCoy for pennies....

Besides HB the Secondary was blah...

OL.....Haha did not go all in

WR.....draft Hardman cause Hill looked to maybe be out but nothing else

LBs.....hahahahahahah

I just don’t see a ALL IN type of offseason and more of a “we were go enough last year so let’s try and keep the O together and replace our old/injured studs in D in hopes Spags can get it rolling by playoffs”  “and focus on the long term because we have the best QB in the NFL at age 24”!!!

The Chiefs may has been surprised (happily) by how quickly Mahomes was a top QB.  They missed the SB by a whisker in 2018 and made the adjustments that could get them there this past season.  It wasn't going "all in" to finally replace a failing DC, it was mandatory.  They brought in Clark and HB, Okafor, Ogbah, Breeland, and Claiborne to fill holes.  If they delay giving Mahomes a contract, they have another shot this coming season.  So I'd say they gave themselves an opportunity without gambling on one big push.  The Royals gave up all their future pitching to win one WS (All In).  The Chiefs are still positioned to compete for several years to come. 

I'll revise my stance.  It depends on your definition of "all in."

If the standard for "all in" was blindly mortgaging our future, then no, we didn't go all in.

But we did make some win-now moves that will have a bill later.  The Clark trade helped us win the SB but the cost was very high.  And in the end missing out on CB wasn't what was going to swing our season.  We made the best possible moves on the defensive line by picking up Suggs, etc.