CranjisMcBasketball offseason thoughts

Here are some thoughts on what we should do with our own free agents and free agents I would target.

Chris Jones – everyone knows how much I love this guy as a player, I am afraid the Frank Clark deal (which I hated at the time, and still don’t like, although I am aware we won the superbowl so I can live with it) will prevent us from keeping Jones. Still I think Mahomes is going to stay on his rookie deal for another year, allowing us to give Jones a big number to resign in the first year and more manageable cap hits the following seasons. I would re-sign Jones at any cost.

Ogbah – played really well, would try to bring back if cheaper deal. This is one of the reasons I don’t like the Frank Clark type deals, productive ends are able to be found every year, for example Okafor, K-pas, Ogbah, Suggs where all above average players. To me its easier to find a guy like this than replacing Jones.

Mike Pennel – my 2nd man crush on the team, I think he will come back for a cheaper deal than people expect, and we need to bring him back desperately

Kendall Fuller – I was completely done with him last year and late into the season this year. But the injury to Thornhill showed his value at safety is decent. His value at corner is essentially zero. The thing is there are a TON of decent safties on the market, so if he will come back for a 1 year or two year deal at say 3 mil a year I would be ok with that to play safety while Thornhill recovers. Any high priced deal I am out on this player.

Bashaud Breeland – meh, like Fuller he has some value in that he knows the system, but he is easily replaceable. If he comes back for a couple mil a year im fine with that, no more than a 2 year deal.

Mo Claiborne – move on

Suggs – cheap 1 year deal if he will take it

Xavier Williams – who cares

Jordan Lucas – use to like him be has majorly regressed, Gone.

Reggie Ragland – a better end than linebacker, but is easily replaceable, gone.

Darron Lee- GOOONNNEEE

Keith Reaser – I assume he will be brought back on minimum contract to be a camp body at CB

That should be our defensive free agents

Offense

Demarcus Robinson – IMO he sucks, I would make zero effort to bring back

Wisnieski – played decent, bring back 1 year deal cheap

Anthony Sherman – I assume he comes back on a vet minimum deal

Blake Bell – sucks but so does the tight end free agent class. I can see him back to compete in camp on a 1 year deal

Moore/ Henne – I guess bring back one or the other if they want to keep playing, has to be like a 1.5 mil a year deal though

Lesean Mccoy – clearly won’t be back

Notes

On a few of our players that have been talked about getting extensions or being cut etc.

Sammy Watkins – he is about a 5 mil a year WR, if he takes a paycut to play for that bring him back, otherwise cut

Charvarious Ward- I would NOT offer him an extension early. I would make him play out his cheap rookie deal for a couple years and then let him walk.

K-pas – I would not offer him an extension early

LDT – would be looking to cut

Hitchens – I know the online contracts say he is uncuttable, but I find that hard to believe, like eric berry last year I would not be surprised to see him as a cut even though his contract is “uncutable”

Sorenson – he had some big plays this offseason but I think this will be the time we cut

Some free agents I would target  - all these would be cheap / reasonable deals, as if we spend money it will be on Chris Jones. If Jones gets tagged and traded I look for them to Give Mahomes a big deal now and push his cap lower for the next seasons

RB – this is our weakest position. Outside of Williams we have nothing imo

Kareem Hunt

Kenyan Drake – this is realistically our target. I am hoping 2 years 12 mil would get him. But I think some team gives him 4 years 35 mil or something.

Austin Ekeler – love this player

Draft

WR – draft is deep here, don’t’ be surprised if this is our 1st rnd selection. Maybe the LSU WR. The free agent class is really weak. Im hoping Albert Wilson gets cut and we bring him back to play slot for nothing

Emmanuel Sanders – would be worth a look on a 1 year deal to play the slot

Tight Ends and O line are a bunch of meh free agents. I expect us to sign a couple guys cheap to compete in camp

D Ends – as I said there are usually capable players here that can come cheap

Matt Judon – ravens will overpay to keep him, but if he hits free agency he is a decent end that may not be crazy expensive. Would look here if we can’t keep ogbah

Olivier Vernon – This is a more realistic player. Will come cheap and is solid.

D tackles – I would be spending our resources keeping Jones and Pennel, but there are some decent options in free agency including

DJ Reader,  Leonard Williams,  Javon Hargrave, - all these guys will be too expensive, but are good players, more realistic options are

Michael Pierce

Ndamokung Suh

Quinton Jefferson

Linebacker – we really need a stout guy to play ILB but I don’t think that will be findable.

Blake Martinez – I would look here to play OLB if he came cheap

CB – will be come combination of keeping Fuller and Breelund or adding

Chris Harris

Logan Ryan

Safety – like I said there are a ton of good safeties available. No point naming them but like last year a couple got signed early for huge deals then most got signed late for absolutely nothing, signing late for nothing will be our strat.

In Summary my offseason plan would be

Make bringing back Chris Jones and Pennel the priority on D and try to get Ogbah back as well.

On offense bringing in Kenyan Drake or Austin Ekeler in free agency and have Watkins restructure for 2 years 5-6 mil a year is a realistic offseason priority.

Add some non essential free agents at positions where free agency is deep like d line and safetly on the cheap late in free agency after the big money has been spent.

Try to secure one veteran CB either bringing back fuller, breelund or getting a chris harris / logan ryan type.

Do not bring back Demarcus Robinson or give any extensions to players early like Charvarious Ward and K-pas.

In the draft target in no particular order RB, WR, interior O line, TE and MLB as highest priorities. As always take flyers on cb’s late in draft. Safety and D line are stacked in free agency so I would not look to draft those positions.

Bashaud is gonna get 10 mil per year for a lot more than 2 years.  He should be considered a comp pick and Veach worked that deal to perfection.  I also think Fuller is gonna get 8 per so that’s out of our range.   

I could see Mahomes doing that so Jones could get his this year and then drop down to a very manageable number.  

I also disagree with your assessment on Frank Clark but I’ll wait till next year for you recant lol.   

Not a bad overall assessment though bro. I dig some of your moves.

1 minute ago, Lamardirts said:

Bashaud is gonna get 10 mil per year for a lot more than 2 years.  He should be considered a comp pick and Veach worked that deal to perfection.  I also think Fuller is gonna get 8 per so that’s out of our range.   

I could see Mahomes doing that so Jones could get his this year and then drop down to a very manageable number.  

I also disagree with your assessment on Frank Clark but I’ll wait till next year for you recant lol.   

Not a bad overall assessment though bro. I dig some of your moves.

Hey I actually think frank clark is the best end in the nfl, i just don’t value the position, at least I don’t value edge rush, i value run stuff and smartness which generally doesn’t command high salaries. I think bashaud will have harder time getting paid considering the last 2 years he couldn’t get a deal, usually once a player starts on 1 year prove it deals they are stuck there.

fuller is a wild card, i think he sucks at corner but he is so young teams typically will pay for upside and a couple years ago he was the best slot corner in the nfl. The free agency depth at safety may kill his value

1 hour ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

Not a bad idea

Bring Vaitai in for RG get Rankins healthy for LG sign Wisniewski for a1 or 2 year contract. Let Allegretti develop another year or 2. Same with Senat, see if he can develop for a year or 2 to replace Fisher.  

LT- Fisher,  Senat 

LG- Rankins, Wylie 

C- Wisnewski, Allegretti 

RG- Vaitai, Wylie 

RT- Schwartz, Barton

Other things to consider is that with mahomes at qb and being the best team in the nfl we should be able to snag some good 30+ year old vets looking to win a championship on 1 year deals. It will be important to leave cap room for late camp cuts and mid season unexpected players to become available