NFL must of got my letter!

ycm8ibEE_reasonably_small.jpg

NFL playoff structure is about to be changed. Under the current CBA proposal, seven teams from each conference will make the playoffs, with only bye per conference, sources tell ESPN. It would go into effect this upcoming season. More coming on http://ESPN.com.

More details: Under the current CBA proposal that NFL owners are pushing for, the playoff field would be expanded to seven teams, while the regular season would be increased to 17 games per team, and the preseason shortened to three games per team, per sources.

Under the current transformational CBA proposal that NFL owners are pushing for, there would be more drama at the end of the regular season...and six - six! - games on wild-card weekend. Imagine three wild-card games on Saturday, then three more Sunday.

Had the playoff structure now on the table for the 2020 season been in effect this past season, the Steelers and Rams would have been in the postseason, playing on wild-card weekend.

Yuck.  Horrible idea.  Greedy bastards.  I hope the union tells them where to shove it.  There are a ton of issues that should be taking priority over this stupidity, such as fixing the abomination they call overtime, doing something about reviews taking too long, etc.   

3 minutes ago, moons314 said:

Yuck.  Horrible idea.  Greedy bastards.  I hope the union tells them where to shove it.  There are a ton of issues that should be taking priority over this stupidity, such as fixing the abomination they call overtime, doing something about reviews taking too long, etc.   

Union is on board from what I read. They will also pay the 1st seed a weekly check on their bye and increase the shared revenue up to 5 billion with this format to the players or something along that line

5 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Union is on board from what I read. They will also pay the 1st seed a weekly check on their bye and increase the shared revenue up to 5 billion with this format to the players or something along that line

Union, greedy bastards.  They bitch and moan about not wanting more games because of player safety concerns, the owners offer more money, and suddenly those injury concerns go away.  Letting lesser teams in the playoffs only increases the odds that the Super Bowl will be shit.  This year's Super Bowl was good, ratings back that up.  There have been several recent Super Bowls that have been less than stellar.  This has the feeling of diluting the product in search of the almighty buck, the same way they want to have all of these foreign games, all while raising prices on fans every year.  Short of winning the lottery I'll never get to see a Super Bowl live, and even season tickets at this point isn't even within my budget.  

In the last 10 yrs, of the 40 teams that made the Conference Championship rd: 30 (75%) had first-round byes 10 (25%) played Wild Card weekend Home teams in the CC round w a bye made the Super Bowl 14 of 20 times (70%) Only 3 teams the last 10 yrs made the Super Bowl w/o a bye

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28739375/more-playoff-teams-expected-new-cba-sources-say?platform=amp&__twitter_impression=true

If and when a transformational collective bargaining agreement is finalized -- and there is now mounting optimism it could be done sometime in the next week -- it is expected to change the NFL's playoff structure as it is currently constituted for next season, league sources told ESPN.

Under the current CBA proposal that NFL owners are pushing for, the playoff field would be expanded to seven teams from each conference, while the regular season would be increased to 17 games per team and the preseason shortened to three games per team, sources said.

As part of the proposed playoff format, only one team from each conference would receive a first-round bye as opposed to the two that currently do, league sources said. That would mean a revised postseason schedule that includes six games on wild-card weekend, with three on Saturday and three on Sunday.

The changes to the NFL's playoff format would take effect for the 2020 season, assuming the new CBA is ratified beforehand. Had the proposed format been in place this past season, the Los Angeles Ramsand Pittsburgh Steelers would have been the next teams included in the expanded playoff field.

"That's been agreed to for a long time," one source familiar with the CBA talks said about the NFL's new playoff structure. "There wasn't a lot of disagreement to that issue."

Additionally, the players on the teams that earn a first-round bye will receive postseason pay for that weekend. That was not the case under the current CBA, which has always rankled some players.

Now the sides are trying to work through the final issues, including getting the players to sign off on a 17-game regular season. That has yet to be agreed to, and it would not take effect until 2021 at the earliest.

As part of the deal now on the table, players would go from a 47% revenue share under the current deal to 48% share at 16 games, and then to a 48.5% share if they go to 17 games, shifting $5 billion of revenue to the players' side.

"The new CBA's not done, there's no term sheet yet, there still are issues being negotiated, but I'd be very surprised if there's not a new CBA for the new league year," the source said.

3 hours ago, Chiefmanzada said:

I like the change. thing I dislike is only the first seed gets a bye. 

that really makes it tough on the players and teams. every game just got much more crucial. 

I agree and think it’s a matter of not wanting to lengthen the season by adding more bye weeks.  I think they could easily go down to 2, instead of 3, preseason games and add an extra week of playoff games which would allow for 1 and 2 seeds getting byes.

3 hours ago, sith13 said:

We all know how great the 16 team play-off has worked for the NBA. People don't even care about regular season anymore and it'll probably shift towards that in the NFL if they start messing with a beautiful thing. 

And now even after playing 162 games MLB ridiculously sees fit to expand its playoff field even more too. The difference is that nobody outside of their own market watches MLB, so the regular season has already lost tons of value if you aren’t a playoff contender. .
Meanwhile as many people watch Noon regular season NFL games as they do the Final Four, MLB, NHL or NBA playoffs. The NFL owns American sports with the perfect blend of a meaningful regular season and great playoff format.  They are simply getting greedy here looking at short term financial gain over potential long term damage.  

10 minutes ago, Gil said:

The thing I dislike the most is the 17 game season. Half the league will have an extra home game giving them an advantage in making the playoffs.

i heard that they may propose teams play the 17th game at a neutral site so there would not be an advantage...example would be KC plays their Week 17 game in Columbia Missouri against unknown opponent...still wouldn't make sense if the team coming to play KC is a team from the west or east coast it would still be a home game for KC due to the proximity to KC

factor in that you have to come up with a decent neutral site for every game, this is gonna create more issues every frigging season

I REALLY don't like the "only the #1 seed gets the bye" thing, just seems too unbalanced.  Before it was 2 get byes, 2 get home WC games, last 2 get in - there was a nice symmetry to it, now it will be 1, 3, and 3.  Puts so much pressure on teams to get that #1, and the bye was already a huge advantage.  I bet we'll see even less parity in Super Bowl appearances - though hopefully that works to our advantage if we're the big dog in the AFC for the next several years.

But as to the 17 game schedule or merely having an extra WC, I don't hate more meaningful games.

It's just like I thought that owners wouldn't wanna give up a total of 20 games no matter what.  4 Preseason+16 regular season = 20 games, 4 PS + 17 RS = 20 games

I just really didn't think they would add a game, add more playoff games and only take away 1 preseason game.  Really thought they would go down to 2 preseason games and maybe a couple team vs team scrimmages /shrug.