NFL must of got my letter!

33 minutes ago, Chiefmanzada said:

its better. more teams making playoffs is better. Still only 14/32 teams will make playoffs. 

If you're ranked 14th in offense and defense, that sounds like a playoff team to me. 

change is good. NFL is not dumb, if they're considering and passing this, then it's legit. 

The only reason both sides are doing this is money nothing more, that doesn’t necessarily make it better.  

KC wouldn’t have gotten a bye but instead would’ve played the Steelers on wildcard weekend.   That’s not better.   Give me a bye and a chance to rest the players and Andy an extra week to prepare every day of the week.  The Steelers were 8 -8 team the very definition of mediocre.  That’s not a playoff team but under the new system that’s going to be the norm for a playoff contender and realistically a team that  has very little shot of not even getting to the SB. 

The playoffs are now going to be somewhat diluted because of this.  My hope is they floated this out there to see what kind of reaction it would get and if it’s not favorable go back to the drawing board.   

1 minute ago, Balto said:

Question...

Would you all rather have the #1 AND #2 seed still get bye's but have to have 8 teams from each conference.

OR 

Stay with only #1 seeds getting bye's and only 7 teams from each conference

My answer is neither.  Don’t fix what ain’t broke.  

i want to hear other than money what’s the reasoning for adding teams to the playoffs.  

Just looking at this year we would have the dismal Steelers and Rams in the playoffs. Chiefs would probably not even suit Mahomes in the last 2 weeks (talk about losing money for the NFL). I don't think regular season keeps as much of its value with an extended play-off schedule. It has always worked in the opposite direction for other sports.

3 minutes ago, Okiechief1 said:

The only reason both sides are doing this is money nothing more, that doesn’t necessarily make it better.  

KC wouldn’t have gotten a bye but instead would’ve played the Steelers on wildcard weekend.   That’s not better.   Give me a bye and a chance to rest the players and Andy an extra week to prepare every day of the week.  The Steelers were 8 -8 team the very definition of mediocre.  That’s not a playoff team but under the new system that’s going to be the norm for a playoff contender and realistically a team that  has very little shot of not even getting to the SB. 

The playoffs are now going to be somewhat diluted because of this.  My hope is they floated this out there to see what kind of reaction it would get and if it’s not favorable go back to the drawing board.   

I know most are not in favor of having 7 from each conf vs 6 like it is now BUT I'd like to argue that having 8 would be better and more fair!  Just read...

So ATM we have, 6 total teams:

2 Wild Card Teams play the #3 and #4 ranked division winners, #1 and #2 seed get byes-  Playoff Week 1

#1 seed vs lowest ranked winner from week 1, #2 seed vs highest ranked winner from week 1-  Playoff Week 2

Winners of divisional round play for AFC Championship-  Playoff Week 3

Bye week-  Playoff Week 4

Super Bowl- Playoff Week 5

NFL Proposal, 7 total teams:

3 Wild Card Teams play the #2, #3 and #4 ranked division winners, #1 seed get a bye-  Playoff Week 1

#1 seed vs lowest ranked winner from week 1, then the other two winners play each other-  Playoff Week 2

Balto's Proposal, 8 total teams:

4 Wild Card Teams play each other! ALL division winners get byes.-  Playoff Week 1

2 Wild Card Teams play the #3 and #4 ranked division winners, at this point we go by record to determine who gets the home game!  #1 and #2 seed get another bye!-  Playoff Week 2

#1 seed vs lowest ranked winner from week 2, #2 seed vs highest ranked winner from week 2-  Playoff Week 3

Winners of divisional round play for AFC Championship-  Playoff Week 4

Bye week-  Playoff Week 5

Super Bowl- Playoff Week 6

I'd also like to take out another Preseason game so its 2 games NOT 3.  Doing this would keep the TOTAL NFL season the same length but would replace a week of preseason games with an extra week of playoffs....With adding an extra game I think giving ALL division winners a bye that first week would be something to make every team go out and play hard!  Then after getting that "reward of winning your division" the #3 and #4 teams could still have to play AWAY if the two wild card winners have better records.  This would take care of weak divisions BUT division winners would still get rewarded from that bye week.

Who's with me?!?!?!??!?!

16 minutes ago, Okiechief1 said:

My answer is neither.  Don’t fix what ain’t broke.  

i want to hear other than money what’s the reasoning for adding teams to the playoffs.  

gives more teams a chance to make the postseason. it's heartening to the fans of teams who haven't sniffed the playoffs in long years.

before Reid showed up we were on the backend of things, and when we did make the playoffs there was much joy. 

what sucks is only 1 team gets a bye. to get the number 2 seed especially with 17 games definitely deserves bye week. some bs 

1 hour ago, Balto said:

I know most are not in favor of having 7 from each conf vs 6 like it is now BUT I'd like to argue that having 8 would be better and more fair!  Just read...

So ATM we have, 6 total teams:

2 Wild Card Teams play the #3 and #4 ranked division winners, #1 and #2 seed get byes-  Playoff Week 1

#1 seed vs lowest ranked winner from week 1, #2 seed vs highest ranked winner from week 1-  Playoff Week 2

NFL Proposal, 7 total teams:

3 Wild Card Teams play the #2, #3 and #4 ranked division winners, #1 seed get a bye-  Playoff Week 1

#1 seed vs lowest ranked winner from week 1, then the other two winners play each other-  Playoff Week 2

Balto's Proposal, 8 total teams:

4 Wild Card Teams play each other! ALL division winners get byes.-  Playoff Week 1

2 Wild Card Teams play the #3 and #4 ranked division winners, at this point we go by record to determine who gets the home game!  #1 and #2 seed get another bye!-  Playoff Week 2

#1 seed vs lowest ranked winner from week 2, #2 seed vs highest ranked winner from week 2-  Playoff Week 3

Winners of divisional round play for AFC Championship-  Playoff Week 4

Bye week-  Playoff Week 5

Super Bowl- Playoff Week 6

I'd also like to take out another Preseason game so its 2 games NOT 3.  Doing this would keep the TOTAL NFL season the same length but would replace a week of preseason games with an extra week of playoffs....With adding an extra game I think giving ALL division winners a bye that first week would be something to make every team go out and play hard!  Then after getting that "reward of winning your division" the #3 and #4 teams could still have to play AWAY if the two wild card winners have better records.  This would take care of weak divisions BUT division winners would still get rewarded from that bye week.

Who's with me?!?!?!??!?!

Having the #1 and #2 seeds take two weeks off before playing their first playoff games seems a little much to me.  A bye week is welcome to rest and recover from minor injuries.  Two bye weeks in a row might be a disadvantage to the top two teams.  That's a long time without contact or competition. 

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

Having the #1 and #2 seeds take two weeks off before playing their first playoff games seems a little much to me.  A bye week is welcome to rest and recover from minor injuries.  Two bye weeks in a row might be a disadvantage to the top two teams.  That's a long time without contact or competition. 

Not to mention you might have taken off the last week of the season if you clinched.  It'd be a month between games for your starters?  No thanks.

I don’t like it. It ain’t broke so don’t fix it. I don’t care about the 4th preseason game. I do think it helps players develop and get noticed. But who wants to pay for that.

Just leave the damn playoffs and regular season alone. We really need you be more game to know who’s who? And good point about the extra home game for half the teams. 

Did they really just make it easier for Mahomes to make the playoffs.  I know he would never do this and the rest of our big stars but we should honestly sit them for half the games, get into the playoffs because everyone does and just torch people with a fully healthy and rested team....

An extra game really is not that much.  I believe players will be taking far less wear and tear on their bodies with a 17th game  and playing 4 games to get to the superbowl than they were taking in a 16 day season at the before the current CBA.   There were 2 a days in camp, lots more padded practices,  a hell of a lot more violent hits in games,  no real consideration for head injuries,  etc.   

-  I think the biggest thing is getting players on the bottom half of the roster better compensation  rather than simply the stars sucking up all the big $$$$.   

- Making sure that healthcare is taken care of for players after they leave the league

- Definitely not worrying about marijuana usage and testing positive resulting in suspension.  Too many states now have legalized it for either recreational or medicinal purposes. 

At the same time, I think the league needs to look at the skyrocketing prices of tickets. 3rd party sellers are selling tickets.   It should not cost $300 to go to the game and watch the team.  They need to be really careful , because at some point television may start charging for people to watch the games.  I pay $200 a year to watch the Chiefs games overseas already.   Many people out of the Kansas City Market may pay more for NFL ticket.  It is becoming more costly for fans to watch the games and that eventually is going to become a problem for sustaining the popularity of the sport.   

11 hours ago, oldtimer said:

Seems the likes of JJ Watt and other are a hard No & I dont blame them .. 

Yeah I would think the linemen on both sides of the ball would probably take the brunt of the extra game.  Those guys get it rough every game.  They may not think it's worth it.  

On 2/20/2020 at 8:15 AM, Mloe68 said:

And now even after playing 162 games MLB ridiculously sees fit to expand its playoff field even more too. The difference is that nobody outside of their own market watches MLB, so the regular season has already lost tons of value if you aren’t a playoff contender. .
Meanwhile as many people watch Noon regular season NFL games as they do the Final Four, MLB, NHL or NBA playoffs. The NFL owns American sports with the perfect blend of a meaningful regular season and great playoff format.  They are simply getting greedy here looking at short term financial gain over potential long term damage.  

I used to be one of the die hards for MLB.  Baseball and the Royals were my first love.  I went to and watched a lot of games during way too many years of horrendous baseball, and back to back world series were great, but last year I completely tuned out for the first time.  I think I watched 2 games on tv last season, and there were multiple times I passed over watching the Royals for the Golf Channel.  As if baseball weren't already losing it's appeal, throw in the cheating scandal and expanding the playoffs further?  The greed and dilution of the product for the almighty buck has made it less appealing, and I feel like football  is going to do the same shit.  

11 minutes ago, moons314 said:

I used to be one of the die hards for MLB.  Baseball and the Royals were my first love.  I went to and watched a lot of games during way too many years of horrendous baseball, and back to back world series were great, but last year I completely tuned out for the first time.  I think I watched 2 games on tv last season, and there were multiple times I passed over watching the Royals for the Golf Channel.  As if baseball weren't already losing it's appeal, throw in the cheating scandal and expanding the playoffs further?  The greed and dilution of the product for the almighty buck has made it less appealing, and I feel like football  is going to do the same shit.  

Baseball is still very popular regionally. But  because people don’t watch games that don’t involve their own team it’s bad for the game’s popularity when your team is out of contention early and often. More playoff teams is.an unnecessary move out of desperation though. 
Meanwhile the NFL has no such issues so this is pure shortsighted greed to capture more money in this round of tv contract negotiations. At some point this will hurt the sport.  

On 2/19/2020 at 11:38 PM, moons314 said:

Union, greedy bastards.  They bitch and moan about not wanting more games because of player safety concerns, the owners offer more money, and suddenly those injury concerns go away.  Letting lesser teams in the playoffs only increases the odds that the Super Bowl will be shit.  This year's Super Bowl was good, ratings back that up.  There have been several recent Super Bowls that have been less than stellar.  This has the feeling of diluting the product in search of the almighty buck, the same way they want to have all of these foreign games, all while raising prices on fans every year.  Short of winning the lottery I'll never get to see a Super Bowl live, and even season tickets at this point isn't even within my budget.  

I disagree. It won't be a lesser team making the playoffs. There is ALWAYS one team getting an early start to next season while a mediocre team makes the playoffs because they won their division at 8-8 or 9-7. 

On 2/20/2020 at 2:05 PM, xen said:

Not to mention you might have taken off the last week of the season if you clinched.  It'd be a month between games for your starters?  No thanks.

and there will be PLENTY of that going on with 44% of the NFL making the playoffs. For teams that are good, those extra few games will be just like pre-season games. The starters will play one series, and the backups finish the game. Adding those extra playoff teams defeats the entire purpose of adding extra reg season games. It just moves a few preseason games from August to December.

2 hours ago, mex said:

and there will be PLENTY of that going on with 44% of the NFL making the playoffs. For teams that are good, those extra few games will be just like pre-season games. The starters will play one series, and the backups finish the game. Adding those extra playoff teams defeats the entire purpose of adding extra reg season games. It just moves a few preseason games from August to December.

Just looking back at 2019 I'm not sure if Chiefs or Pats would actually show up with the Ravens getting the #1 seed. Lack of the bye week for #2 seed basically renders 2 or 3 of the top teams in the conference useless in the last week, that should lose quite a bit of TV money and the alternative seems to be a few of the crappy teams playing for a playoff berth only to lose out a week later.