Off season moves

I like this if we do in fact get a G or C in the FA period.

https://arrowheadguys.com/2020/02/20/what-if-series-what-if-the-chiefs-cut-sammy-watkins/

What If Series: What If The Chiefs Cut Sammy Watkins?

21 replies By Nate Christensen 21 hours ago

Nate looks at some “What If’s” for the Kansas City Chiefs as we head into the offseason; today he discusses what if the Chiefs cut Sammy Watkins

We’re continuing our “What If” series today, with a situation that is very possible. Sammy Watkins is earning a bunch of money, and the Chiefs can save a lot of money by him leaving. Today, we’re looking at how Chiefs could approach offseason without Watkins.

Step 1: Cut Watkins

By cutting Sammy, we save 14 million. That by itself can almost pay for Chris Jones by itself. We only have 13 million in cap space before, but now we’re at 27 million. With that, we already can resign Jones and extend Mahomes

Step 2: Cut LDT, Cam Erving, Damien Wilson, Austin Reiter

With all these moves combined, we save about 15 million. This gives us around 43 million in cap space. We have plenty to now sign Jones and Mahomes, but even make moves in free agency. None of these guys really contribute enough to stay around in 2020. They are all replaceable, either by signing someone or already someone on the roster. We need cap space more than anything. Now, we have plenty to get in the race.

Step 3: Resign Mike Pennel, Kendall Fuller, Emmanuel Ogbah

Pennel for a two-year deal. Fuller one-year. Ogbah three-year.

Step 4: Franchise Chris Jones

This one is obvious. To me, we either keep Sammy Watkins or Chris Jones. Chris Jones is way more valuable to our team, and is the way better player. We now have around 12 million dollars in cap space.

Step 5: Extend Patrick Mahomes, Travis Kelce

I’m not going to really pay any free agents. I think we should keep our 12 million to roll over for Kelce and Mahomes to get paid. I did really consider Joe Schobert as our next WILL linebacker, but if we spend a lot of money in free agency, we’re kind of screwed long-term.

Step 6: NFL Draft

1. Pick 32: Zack Baun (LB/Edge, Wisconsin)
  2. Pick 63: Bryce Hall (CB, Virginia)
  3. Pick 96: Michael Pittman Jr. (WR, USC)
  4. Pick 128: Lamar Jackson (CB, Nebraska)
  5. Pick 159: John Simpson (G, Clemson)

Zack Baun played edge at college, but also off-ball linebacker. Baun is athletic, and can cover the whole field. He’s bigger as well, and can help in the run game. On 3rd down, he can line up in our NASCAR packages, or play as the dime LB. Baun is really raw, but with Matt House, he could be a special player.

Bryce Hall does have injury concerns, but he fits this scheme well. A long, very physical cornerback with ball skills fits exactly what Spags wants in a cornerback. At 63, he’s nearly the perfect pick. He would be a stud in our system.

Michael Pittman is the perfect replacement at X receiver for Sammy Watkins. He runs really well, but is also a bigger body. He’s very similar in play style to Watkins. I’m really intrigued to see what Pittman runs in the draft, because if he runs well, this may be a steal at 96.

Lamar Jackson is a really good athlete, but smaller. He could potentially play in the slot in 2020. John Simpson provides more depth on the offensive line.

Conclusion: Do I like this offseason?

Overall, I’m good with this offseason. We don’t have any real flashy moves, but this returns the main core for 2020. We replace Sammy Watkins well with Pittman, while getting much better at linebacker and cornerback. I know I didn’t get into free agents, but we fill some depth there. This team right here would easily be the favorite in 2020, especially with this rookie class.

Offseason grade: A

33 minutes ago, Balto said:

Gotta agree....I'd think we need to sign a guard/center or draft one sooner than the 5th.  I'd say interior OL is more important than LB IMO

I think cover LB is the weakest position on the team but those types are hard to find. If the OU kid drops I’m all in there at 32. Otherwise you are right and our top two picks will ideally be CB and G/C

Okay with the general idea, but the Chiefs need to draft IOL on the second day.  There are plenty of big, possession type receivers in the draft and they can snag a good one in the fifth round.  They can find an instant starter at guard or center in the third round.  I'm not sure Baun will be available at #32.  He seems to be shooting up the boards but much will depend on next week in Indy.  If they can't get Baun or Murray, then go CB in the first with LB and IOL on the second day.  Starting quality LBs and CBs will fly off the board compared to WR.  The draft is rich in receivers this year. 

1 hour ago, Mloe68 said:

I think cover LB is the weakest position on the team but those types are hard to find. If the OU kid drops I’m all in there at 32. Otherwise you are right and our top two picks will ideally be CB and G/C

agreed, but I highly doubt that LB, Kenneth Murray, falls to us at 32.  Top LBs usually go top 20 in the draft and I've even seen mocks with him going top 10 to CAR to replace Kuelchy.

1 hour ago, dksww said:

agreed, but I highly doubt that LB, Kenneth Murray, falls to us at 32.  Top LBs usually go top 20 in the draft and I've even seen mocks with him going top 10 to CAR to replace Kuelchy.

I like the kid and think he's a really good fit for us. But I watch a ton of Big 12 football and he's not worth a top ten pick IMO. I'd say his value starts in the 20s. 

Trouble with going early at LB is we usually play 2. We have Wilson and Hitch. They are not great in coverage, granted. But...

Spags believes in Hitch to call the defenses and he did a great job at it. Will he trust a rookie to do that? I don’t know.

Wilson was very solid and instinctive. Is there that much room for an upgrade?

Interior O line seems the biggest need. Safety and CB next. We play a lot of 3 safety and if we can’t keep Fuller, it is a weakness. God help us if HB goes down. 

TE, WR also needs. BPA in the first and second unless it’s a QB. If it’s a LB, great.

I find it hard to believe we can replace wilson at lb with the money we save cutting him. On the other hand if we did cut him I wouldn’t lose my mind either. 

i agree fuller is going to get a stupid high contract i would not pursue re-signing him unless he takes a lowball offer for some unknown reason.

i agree ldt, reiter, and erving should be gone. I have a feeling watkins will be back on an extreme team friendly deal, but if not then clearly will be cut too

1 hour ago, DieHard said:

Trouble with going early at LB is we usually play 2. We have Wilson and Hitch. They are not great in coverage, granted. But...

Spags believes in Hitch to call the defenses and he did a great job at it. Will he trust a rookie to do that? I don’t know.

Wilson was very solid and instinctive. Is there that much room for an upgrade?

Interior O line seems the biggest need. Safety and CB next. We play a lot of 3 safety and if we can’t keep Fuller, it is a weakness. God help us if HB goes down. 

TE, WR also needs. BPA in the first and second unless it’s a QB. If it’s a LB, great.

Hitch is probably in his last year as a Chief unless he takes a big pay cut.  Is Wilson even signed for this season?  Either way, the Chiefs need a LB that can cover and if he plays less than three downs, at least he's developing for the future at rookie pay.  How long did it take DJ to click?  Yes, CB is a more immediate need as is the IOL.  The Chiefs should go with the best LB or CB in the first.  IOL can be had on the second day.  If Thornhill can come back 100%, safety isn't a top priority.  

8 hours ago, jetlord said:

Hitch is probably in his last year as a Chief unless he takes a big pay cut.  Is Wilson even signed for this season?  Either way, the Chiefs need a LB that can cover and if he plays less than three downs, at least he's developing for the future at rookie pay.  How long did it take DJ to click?  Yes, CB is a more immediate need as is the IOL.  The Chiefs should go with the best LB or CB in the first.  IOL can be had on the second day.  If Thornhill can come back 100%, safety isn't a top priority.  

We will see if you are right on draft day.

1 hour ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

This kid Patrick Queen from LSU sounds like he is raw, but has the upside equal too, or higher than, any other LB in the draft save Simmons. Could be a 3 down stud.

He’s projected top 20 in a couple mocks.  Hope he falls

No way should Wilson be cut.  He is our best LB. Hitchens had one more year then he can be cut.  I would like to see DOD play more as the coverage LB. Him and Wilson in the dib packages would be good.  

Sorenson needs top beer on that group of cuts to save money.  I know he made some big plays but he gives up a lot too. And her can be released much easier.  A guy like watts who is already on these team could do what he does. 

As for the offensive line.  We should sign wisnewski to a 1 or 2 year deal,  allowing Allegretti to develop a little more.  Them sign Halapoulivaati Vaitai the big swing tackle from philly.  He is a monster in the run game and would be a really good pass protector in the pass game as a guard. 

LT- Fisher, Senat 

LG- rankins, Wylie 

C- wisnewski, Allegretti 

RG- Vaitai, Wylie 

RT- Schwartz, Barton

4 hours ago, Palangi said:

No way should Wilson be cut.  He is our best LB. Hitchens had one more year then he can be cut.  I would like to see DOD play more as the coverage LB. Him and Wilson in the dib packages would be good.  

Sorenson needs top beer on that group of cuts to save money.  I know he made some big plays but he gives up a lot too. And her can be released much easier.  A guy like watts who is already on these team could do what he does. 

As for the offensive line.  We should sign wisnewski to a 1 or 2 year deal,  allowing Allegretti to develop a little more.  Them sign Halapoulivaati Vaitai the big swing tackle from philly.  He is a monster in the run game and would be a really good pass protector in the pass game as a guard. 

LT- Fisher, Senat 

LG- rankins, Wylie 

C- wisnewski, Allegretti 

RG- Vaitai, Wylie 

RT- Schwartz, Barton

I think resigning  Wiz and letting  him start at center is a dirt cheap way to improve the position and possibly let Allegretti groom another year. Reiter is absolutely pathetic, and I have little doubt Wiz would be an upgrade.

I like the Vaitai signing, but honestly I think we needs LG who can kick out to LT in 2021 when we can release Fisher and save 11 mill. Best way to do that may be to draft one. We can stick Rankin at RG and cut LDT. Free up 5 mill and have a RG with the actual upside that LDT never possessed, yet Dorsey somehow paid him for.

When you really think about that...

LG : Rookie early rd pick who will kick over to LT in 2021

😄 Wiz on a 1 yr w/ a team option for a second yr

RG: Rankins in a rookie contract 

That's away to improve the entire interior for dirt cheap. Thats exciting when we're trying to resign Jones.

1 hour ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

I think resigning  Wiz and letting  him start at center is a dirt cheap way to improve the position and possibly let Allegretti groom another year. Reiter is absolutely pathetic, and I have little doubt Wiz would be an upgrade.

I like the Vaitai signing, but honestly I think we needs LG who can kick out to LT in 2021 when we can release Fisher and save 11 mill. Best way to do that may be to draft one. We can stick Rankin at RG and cut LDT. Free up 5 mill and have a RG with the actual upside that LDT never possessed, yet Dorsey somehow paid him for.

When you really think about that...

LG : Rookie early rd pick who will kick over to LT in 2021

😄 Wiz on a 1 yr w/ a team option for a second yr

RG: Rankins in a rookie contract 

That's away to improve the entire interior for dirt cheap. Thats exciting when we're trying to resign Jones.

Why cut Fish ina couple of years when he has trade value now

27 minutes ago, Balto said:

Why cut Fish ina couple of years when he has trade value now

Maybe because the Chiefs won every game that Fisher played in last season?

If the Chiefs can swing a draft pick to get Fisher's replacement who can play OG in the interim, then I'm all for it.  It just seems a little premature to release Fisher.