Veach interview

Iluvhouse24

I don't think we had that much emphasis on any other position besides the DB last year so would probably reach for a guy if we had a decent one around as all the interviews/videos/etc had that single emphasis. It will be quite different this year and end of the 1st basically means any player at any position, so an interior OL is very likely. 

14 minutes ago, sith13 said:

I don't think we had that much emphasis on any other position besides the DB last year so would probably reach for a guy if we had a decent one around as all the interviews/videos/etc had that single emphasis. It will be quite different this year and end of the 1st basically means any player at any position, so an interior OL is very likely. 

I'm no draft nerd but  unless  that interior OLineman is a projected all pro type ..a first rnd pick? even #32? really?? What interior lineman first rnd pick really has stood out ALLPro type??... honest question I dont know.

23 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

I'm no draft nerd but  unless  that interior OLineman is a projected all pro type ..a first rnd pick? even #32? really?? What interior lineman first rnd pick really has stood out ALLPro type??... honest question I dont know.

Both Pouncey brothers have been really solid throughout their careers and even though we are not in a position to draft such a prospect Nelson-type ones definitely go higher in the draft. I think a realistic guy would be Zack Martin, if I remember correctly he was never a consensus all-pro prospect but turned out to be such. Then again most draft reports contradict with a lot of GMs and quite a bit of reality. If I'm not mistaken La'el Collins had a late 1st projection but definitely don't know where he would be drafted if hell didn't break loose right before the draft. Ended up moving to OT but still was an interior guy coming up. 

I think the most realistic prospect for us would be a Rodger Saffold-type guy. Late 1st early 2nd guy that will stabilize the OG for the next decade but if we end up finding a guy that will end up in the above group I wouldn't even mind giving up another pick to move up. Otherwise as you sort of mentioned the difference in interior OL guys aren't that huge but some really make a difference. 

On 2/22/2020 at 7:37 AM, Iluvhouse24 said:

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2020/2/21/21147666/brett-veach-calls-chris-jones-a-priority-ahead-of-nfl-scouting-combine

Solid stuff. Says that they have roughly 8-14 more first and second round grades on players than they did in last years draft. That's excellent news when drafting so late in each round.

Even better if they see so many still there and can trade back and pick up more picks to get 2 for 1 type picks.

44 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

https://www.rockmnation.com/2019/2/21/18233383/first-rounders-dominate-the-ranks-of-nfl-all-pro-selections

15 hours ago, oldtimer said:

Quinton Nelson. 

On ‎2‎/‎23‎/‎2020 at 9:44 AM, oldtimer said:

Cam Erving.  Wait a sec.  I'll get back to you. 

On 2/23/2020 at 9:25 AM, kkuenn said:

Even better if they see so many still there and can trade back and pick up more picks to get 2 for 1 type picks.

That's my current hope.  If the Chiefs are set on a certain player in the first round but he's projected to fall into the 40s overall, then try to trade down to get an additional fourth and still grab the same player at #38 or so.  Maybe it's a slight risk that they lose their first choice, but even then, there's so many starting players at CB that it wouldn't be much of a downgrade, if any, to take their second choice.  If they absolutely are married to the idea of a certain player or one falls to #32, then don't trade but the most likely scenario would be getting the extra pick and the same player as available at the last pick in the first. 

3 hours ago, jetlord said:

That's my current hope.  If the Chiefs are set on a certain player in the first round but he's projected to fall into the 40s overall, then try to trade down to get an additional fourth and still grab the same player at #38 or so.  Maybe it's a slight risk that they lose their first choice, but even then, there's so many starting players at CB that it wouldn't be much of a downgrade, if any, to take their second choice.  If they absolutely are married to the idea of a certain player or one falls to #32, then don't trade but the most likely scenario would be getting the extra pick and the same player as available at the last pick in the first. 

A trade down is a big possibility and since Veach is emphasizing depth I think he's announcing his willingness to give up the 5th year option in favor of another pick. However 4th shouldn't be enough to trade back so many picks. I think a 3rd makes more sense in such a scenario. 

10 hours ago, sith13 said:

A trade down is a big possibility and since Veach is emphasizing depth I think he's announcing his willingness to give up the 5th year option in favor of another pick. However 4th shouldn't be enough to trade back so many picks. I think a 3rd makes more sense in such a scenario. 

We can only estimate the value in trading down fro #32.  The trade value chart is only a guess.  I'll bet veach would trade down with the idea of a specific target not only in the early second, but also in the third of fourth, whatever the trade nets.  So much depends on whether the Chiefs get picks from trading Jones or if they keep him.  One thing is very unlikely.  The Chiefs wont end up with just five picks.