Tag Chris Jones

Chris Jones Reportedly to Be Given Franchise Tag by Chiefs Ahead of Free Agency

Rob Goldberg
Bleacher ReportFebruary 27, 2020, 10:32 AM CST

Kansas City Chiefs defensive end Chris Jones (95) fires up the crowd against the Los Angeles Chargers during the second half of an NFL football game in Kansas City, Mo., Sunday, Dec. 29, 2019. (AP Photo/Reed Hoffmann)
Kansas City Chiefs defensive end Chris Jones (95) fires up the crowd against the Los Angeles Chargers during the second half of an NFL football game in Kansas City, Mo., Sunday, Dec. 29, 2019. (AP Photo/Reed Hoffmann) More

The Kansas City Chiefs will reportedly lock down one of their top defenders for another year by placing the franchise tag on defensive tackle Chris Jones when the window opens Thursday.

Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network reported the update and noted the team still hopes to sign Jones to a long-term contract extension "at some point."

The 2016 second-round pick earned his first Pro Bowl selection this past season after totaling nine sacks in 13 games, adding one forced fumble and one recovery.

The production came after a breakout 2018 campaign where he had 15.5 sacks, setting an NFL record with at least one sack in 11 straight games.

Jones also added 40 tackles, five passes defensed and an interception he returned 20 yards for a touchdown. This production helped him be named a second-team All-Pro by the Associated Press

While he didn't tally any sacks in two postseason games, Pro Football Focus still rated him as the top interior defender in the league during the playoffs.

There was more pressure on him in 2019 after the Chiefs underwent massive changes defensively, moving on from long-time contributors like Eric Berry, Justin Houston and Dee Ford.

Though he missed three games because of a groin injury, Jones had another huge year and was a big part of the team's improvement from 24th in points allowed in 2018 to seventh in 2019.

The Chiefs will try to keep this trending in the right direction by keeping the 25-year-old with the club for at least one more season.

Jones gives the team another building block defensively to provide balance to one of the best offenses in football.

36 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Really limits what we can do in free agency. This sucks. I'm glad he will be part of the team for another year, but adding a 16 million dollar cap number to a team already stretched thin is rough. 

No chance at a tag and trade then?

36 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Really limits what we can do in free agency. This sucks. I'm glad he will be part of the team for another year, but adding a 16 million dollar cap number to a team already stretched thin is rough. 

Doesn’t mean that for certain, trade him 16 mil off the books, get him inked to a new deal 16 mil reduced.

42 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Since they still had two weeks to get a deal done it would seem the sides are far apart. I expect some cost cutting moves to be announced quickly.  

6 minutes ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

Doesn’t mean that for certain, trade him 16 mil off the books, get him inked to a new deal 16 mil reduced.

It means he counts against the CAP when FA starts. What ultimately happens isn’t relative short term so Veach will have to create space. Also if we extend him, even if we really lowball his first year salary, he’s still gonna cost at least 5 million in 2020. Much more manageable than 16M, but we can’t save the full amount without trading him. 

2 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

It means he counts against the CAP when FA starts. What ultimately happens isn’t relative short term so Veach will have to create space. Also if we extend him, even if we really lowball his first year salary, he’s still gonna cost at least 5 million in 2020. Much more manageable than 16M, but we can’t save the full amount without trading him. 

All that’s true but i don’t see why it matters what he counts against the cap when fa starts, its not like you can’t go over the cap then get back under

20 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Carl Peterson once said that being active in FA also means signing one's own players.. I have faith in Veach knowing what he's doing and it still does not exclude the possibility of trading him

No question Veach has a plan. We’ve got a ton of FAs and can’t sign any of them without cutting or reworking several other guys. I’m sure this is all coming by the March 18 DDay for being under the CAP.  But this tag does somewhat hamstring him in a very tight CAP year. 

What's the big news?  Everyone knew the Chiefs would tag Clark.  They had to if they're going to trade hi and they had to if they're going to keep him.  It's up to another team to cut a deal with the Chiefs contingent on making a deal with Clark.  Only other choice would have been letting hi walk and getting a third next year as compensation   Maybe I'm missing something.

34 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Carl Peterson once said that being active in FA also means signing one's own players.. I have faith in Veach knowing what he's doing and it still does not exclude the possibility of trading him

I think that's what may happen. I wish they could sign him long term, but it looks like that will be difficult.

16 minutes ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

All that’s true but i don’t see why it matters what he counts against the cap when fa starts, its not like you can’t go over the cap then get back under

At the start of FA all teams must be and stay under the 2020 salary cap.  Only difference between offseason and the actual season is that in the offseason only the Top 51 contracts matter. But that really doesn’t help much. 

25 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

Doesn't Jones have to sign the  Tag before it goes against the cap?..no mention if he said he'd sign or not..he's got a lot of time to think on it

19 minutes ago, jetlord said:

What's the big news?  Everyone knew the Chiefs would tag Clark.  They had to if they're going to trade hi and they had to if they're going to keep him.  It's up to another team to cut a deal with the Chiefs contingent on making a deal with Clark.  Only other choice would have been letting hi walk and getting a third next year as compensation   Maybe I'm missing something.

Yea your missing something alright.. they are going to tag Jones not Clark lol

did you miss your nap?neymar jr poke GIF by FC Barcelona

There is so much that Veach can do here. All has been discussed. Tag and trade. Tag and let him play this year and tag again next year.  Sign him long term. Cut or restructure others like LDT, Sorensen, Watkins, Wilson to name a few.

He has so many options going forward. This also is not including what they can do next year for cap space if Jones plays out this tagged year.

2 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Huh I'd say this just gives Veach more time to get a deal done or trade him.  If anything it makes our FA more flexible 

59 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Doesn't Jones have to sign the  Tag before it goes against the cap?..no mention if he said he'd sign or not..he's got a lot of time to think on it

I don't think so. I think any offer on the table that would restrict a players ability to get to free agency such as RFAs and any Tags like this automatically hit the CAP when offered. (or in this case probably when it can first be applied)

1 hour ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

True. As long as they are under by the first day of the league year they can get creative after that. But Veach isnt gonna be irresponsible with the cap after spending 2 yrs cleaning it up after Dorseys mess. The Hitchens contract was a cap blunder, but outside that he has structured almost every large deal in a way that allows us to get out of it w minimal dead money after 3 or 4 yrs.

I think they tagged him and are going to wait till the new CBA and new TV deals bring in terms of money.  When they those are done then they can see what they are working with money wise and sign him long term.  

i think they already have a good idea what they will have cap wise going forward in regards to the CBA and tv deals. It’s a waiting game right now.