Tag Chris Jones

14 minutes ago, Okiechief1 said:

I think they tagged him and are going to wait till the new CBA and new TV deals bring in terms of money.  When they those are done then they can see what they are working with money wise and sign him long term.  

i think they already have a good idea what they will have cap wise going forward in regards to the CBA and tv deals. It’s a waiting game right now.   

can they do that? sounds like gamble in regards to timing

21 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

can they do that? sounds like gamble in regards to timing

They aren’t going to come out and say it but IMO that’s what they are doing.   I think it’s the same reason Clark put the 12 to 15 month time line on Mahomes deal getting done to wait and see what they have in terms of money.  

it is a gamble but I think it’sa calculated gamble because they have a lot more info than we do in regards to what the cap is going to look like after all of this gets done.  

Just now, Okiechief1 said:

They aren’t going to come out and say it but IMO that’s what they are doing.   I think it’s the same reason Clark put the 12 to 15 month time line on Mahomes deal getting done to wait and see what they have in terms of money.  

it is a gamble but I think it’sa calculated gamble because they have a lot more info than we do in regards to what the cap is going to look like after all of this gets done.  

well doing that with  MVPAT is one thing he's not a FA  but it seems with the Jones deal thats a different animal

Chris Jones reacts to the news he’ll be tagged: “Man, what else do you want me to do?”

f72ec760-04f8-11ea-a7f8-e8aaae9ced4b
Mike Florio
ProFootball Talk on NBC SportsFebruary 28, 2020

The Chiefs have yet to pay their two most important players: Patrick Mahomes and Chris Jones. Mahomes has two years left under his rookie contract. Jones has none, and the team will be using the franchise tag to keep the man who was the best and most important defensive player for the Super Bowl champions in 2019.

It’s like a mix of emotions,” Jones said regarding the news that he’ll be tagged while appearing on Colin Cowherd’s show, via ArrowheadPride.com. “Because you figure, you know, after four years, you do everything the right way, within the team way, you try to stay under the line, out of trouble, and be a good citizen for a team and for the city, you expect to be rewarded. So you know when you’re hit with the franchise tag, it can go different ways. You can feel like they’re not valuing you or they’re not valuing what you bring to the table or you can look at it as giving them time to get their horses in a cage and get something together.”

Jones tried to be positive but, with some cajoling from Cowherd, Jones admitted to being a little upset.

“I feel like every team in this league has the opportunity to franchise a good player, and I’m the lucky guy,” Jones said, with more than a little sarcasm. “There’s no hard feelings. It’s a business.” Asked by Cowherd if “it’s a little hard,” Jones agreed.

“It’s a little hard [feelings],” Jones said. “It’s like, ‘Man, what else you want me to do? I gotta go out and get 30 sacks, 35 sacks to show y’all I can . . . you know?'”

Jones remains pragmatic, especially since he saw what happened after the Chiefs tagged Dee Ford last year.

“The beautiful thing about the franchise tag it can go one of two ways,” Jones said. “The team either long-term you and have you for the future, or they’re gonna trade you.”

There’s a third option: Jones can go year to year under the tag and, after the 2021 season, he’d force his way to the market, because the Chiefs would have to give him quarterback money to tag him a third time. And that would come at a time when they’ll be paying their quarterback the most money of anyone in the league.

Jones wants to stay with the Chiefs, but consider his comments on that point. He already may be making a subtle detachment from the organization with the Freudian use of “they,” before correcting it to “we.”

“It would be nice to get paid in Kansas City and stay with Mahomes and what they’re building over there — what we’re building — is exceptional,” Jones said. “I feel like we’re building a dynasty. And for Brett Veach it’s about looking at the team [and] analyzing what you can lose and what you have to keep.”

Whatever they do with Jones, it’s the kind of story that we will be covering every step of the way. Given the way he stepped up and performed in the postseason, it’s hard to imagine the Chiefs not finding a way to keep him around, indefinitely.

Chris Jones reacts to the news he’ll be tagged: “Man, what else do you want me to do?” originally appeared on Pro Football Talk

This is going to be interesting. I think Jones would sign the tag if he felt the Chiefs were just buying time to get a deal done. Do we think trading him is a strong consideration? I want the Chiefs to keep Jones but he would command Frank Clark type of money. Having 2 D linemen with 100 million dollar contracts is kinda crazy.

42 minutes ago, dhitter said:

This is going to be interesting. I think Jones would sign the tag if he felt the Chiefs were just buying time to get a deal done. Do we think trading him is a strong consideration? I want the Chiefs to keep Jones but he would command Frank Clark type of money. Having 2 D linemen with 100 million dollar contracts is kinda crazy.

but might be the new normal especially becoming more and more of a passing league

Jones comments concern me in the sense that it's more about money than winning another Super Bowl .  Right or wrong, that typically happens after a Super Bowl win.  Oh well.  I've been an advocate of trading him for quite some time anyway.  He's a great player, but giving him stupid money will hamstring this team moving forward.  I always hated the use of the "Patriots way", but this is the time for the Chiefs to take notice.  This isn't a contract that NE would ever have given out.  

2 minutes ago, moons314 said:

Jones comments concern me in the sense that it's more about money than winning another Super Bowl .  Right or wrong, that typically happens after a Super Bowl win.  Oh well.  I've been an advocate of trading him for quite some time anyway.  He's a great player, but giving him stupid money will hamstring this team moving forward.  I always hated the use of the "Patriots way", but this is the time for the Chiefs to take notice.  This isn't a contract that NE would ever have given out.  

He’s not making it about money. His time is due. He deserves to be paid. If pat said it, what you say?

3 minutes ago, Calichief said:

He’s not making it about money. His time is due. He deserves to be paid. If pat said it, what you say?

Chiefs can't win without Pat.  They can without Jones.  That's not to say he isn't worth a hefty contract, but he's not so necessary that it's worth wrecking the rest of the team to keep him.  Tag and trade makes sense unless he's willing to play for a "mere" $16.5 million.  If the cap goes up a bunch, then talk about a longer term contract.

6 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Chiefs can't win without Pat.  They can without Jones.  That's not to say he isn't worth a hefty contract, but he's not so necessary that it's worth wrecking the rest of the team to keep him.  Tag and trade makes sense unless he's willing to play for a "mere" $16.5 million.  If the cap goes up a bunch, then talk about a longer term contract.

All I’m saying is, Jones isn’t making it about money. He’s getting paid, by kc, or someone else.

1 hour ago, moons314 said:

He's on a rookie 2nd round contract, top 3 at his position, playing a game in which an injury can end his career any given day. He deserves to get paid, this isn't just a game for him like it is for us fans who cheer from the comforts of our couch demanding loyalty and discounts, this is his livelihood and first chance at a real NFL contract. Dude earned a payday, I hope we work something reasonable out, but by no means should we get pissy that he wants his.

I don’t know about who deserves what. It’s about how to build the best team for the money. Houston deserved it. Berry deserved it. Even Hali. If we talking staying out of trouble and playing at a high level. But you can’t pay everyone that deserves it. You got to pick and choose with youngsters filling the hoes of guys you lose. I hope we keep him, but not at 20 per.

Interior pressure guys are hard to find and he is probably close to the best. It’s a crazy tough decision. I would probably fold and pay him 20 then he years an Achilles the next day. Health is such a gamble. No choice with Pat. You got to go all in, but everyone else is a risk matrix.

2 hours ago, Chiefmanzada said:

IMO he's got a great 5 years left in his career before he hits a wall. 

So did Berry back in the day.  As Diehard postedd, it's a risk to tie too much money into one player not the QB.  Different teams will have different ratios, but there's no way the Chiefs can pay both Clark and Jones what they want and still keep a good starting rotation  on the rest of the front four.  That's too much on the D-line.  Where are you going to go cheap on the other position groups?   

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

So did Berry back in the day.  As Diehard postedd, it's a risk to tie too much money into one player not the QB.  Different teams will have different ratios, but there's no way the Chiefs can pay both Clark and Jones what they want and still keep a good starting rotation  on the rest of the front four.  That's too much on the D-line.  Where are you going to go cheap on the other position groups?   

Just stop the run. They won't best the chiefs in a shoot-out. 

We have to realize we got a top 5 offense for years to come with Reid and Mahomes having fun 

On 2/28/2020 at 10:11 PM, Biggjliv4 said:

He's on a rookie 2nd round contract, top 3 at his position, playing a game in which an injury can end his career any given day. He deserves to get paid, this isn't just a game for him like it is for us fans who cheer from the comforts of our couch demanding loyalty and discounts, this is his livelihood and first chance at a real NFL contract. Dude earned a payday, I hope we work something reasonable out, but by no means should we get pissy that he wants his.

There's a difference between getting paid and wanting so much money it hinders the team.  I have no problem with a guy earning a living, but my point was it seemed as if him getting every last dollar was more important than a fair deal that puts the team in a position to win multiple super bowls.  Mega Deals are bad business more often than not, and I'm not in favor of passing them out to anyone other than the QB.  There was no getting pissy, it's simple economics.  

This is a two-sided business. Makes sense to tag him if they don't have a deal in place. I understand the players' focus on big deals as this is a brutal work but if we are not in a position to give him one we might as well get something in return. I hope we keep him on a decent deal though.

17 hours ago, moons314 said:

There's a difference between getting paid and wanting so much money it hinders the team.  I have no problem with a guy earning a living, but my point was it seemed as if him getting every last dollar was more important than a fair deal that puts the team in a position to win multiple super bowls.  Mega Deals are bad business more often than not, and I'm not in favor of passing them out to anyone other than the QB.  There was no getting pissy, it's simple economics.  

Yeah players get really insulted when theyare tagged. As if to say " Everything I've done here, and you want me to play this season scraping by on these million dollar game checks?"

Poor guy. I guess he better stock up on Top Ramen.

3 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Yeah players get really insulted when theyare tagged. As if to say " Everything I've done here, and you want me to play this season scraping by on these million dollar game checks?"

Poor guy. I guess he better stock up on Top Ramen.

If they play under the franchise tag for two years, keep producing and don't get hurt (big caveat). They will definitely make more money. They all just want that guarantee and its hard to blame them with how quickly NFL careers can go south. But to your point it does sounds awfully silly to people in our position./

Best scenario:  Make a deal with Jones that keeps him a Chiefs but doesn't hamper the team's ability to acquire and keep other top players.

Next best:  Tag and trade Jones and get another starter out of the draft and have the money to pay Watson and/or buy a good CB.

Worst scenario:  Give Jones what his agent is asking and be stuck in a long term contract that hampers the rest of the team.

I think Veach will stick by his guns and only give Jones a contract that they can afford.  How many time on this board did we see posts about giving Houston, Hali, or Berry what they wanted.  "Pay the man" seemed to be a common theme and it cost the team big time.