Tag Chris Jones

19 hours ago, jetlord said:

Best scenario:  Make a deal with Jones that keeps him a Chiefs but doesn't hamper the team's ability to acquire and keep other top players.

Next best:  Tag and trade Jones and get another starter out of the draft and have the money to pay Watson and/or buy a good CB.

Worst scenario:  Give Jones what his agent is asking and be stuck in a long term contract that hampers the rest of the team.

I think Veach will stick by his guns and only give Jones a contract that they can afford.  How many time on this board did we see posts about giving Houston, Hali, or Berry what they wanted.  "Pay the man" seemed to be a common theme and it cost the team big time. 

I think the scenarios make sense but I think the next best is simply keeping Breeland for that amount and hopefully a discount. It should be cheaper and more beneficial to keep Breeland and Robinson in town rather than paying Watkins the big bucks. In the end it comes down to everyone's asking price though so it's pure speculation. 

2 hours ago, sith13 said:

I think the scenarios make sense but I think the next best is simply keeping Breeland for that amount and hopefully a discount. It should be cheaper and more beneficial to keep Breeland and Robinson in town rather than paying Watkins the big bucks. In the end it comes down to everyone's asking price though so it's pure speculation. 

Better to keep Watson on a team friendly renegotiation than to pay Robinson what he thinks he's worth.  Watson wants to stay, Robinson wants to get paid.  Makes sense.  Robinson has never had the big pay day. 

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

Better to keep Watson on a team friendly renegotiation than to pay Robinson what he thinks he's worth.  Watson wants to stay, Robinson wants to get paid.  Makes sense.  Robinson has never had the big pay day. 

I think Robinson's value is somewhere around 10 million over 3 years. I doubt anyone will actually see him as a true #1 or #2 at this point. If there's actually a market for him it would be a whole other story but I'm pretty sure Robinson will want to test the market regardless. 

Don't know about Breeland's expectations but keeping him would avoid a huge need that will likely cost our 1st in the draft. 

8 minutes ago, sith13 said:

I think Robinson's value is somewhere around 10 million over 3 years. I doubt anyone will actually see him as a true #1 or #2 at this point. If there's actually a market for him it would be a whole other story but I'm pretty sure Robinson will want to test the market regardless. 

Don't know about Breeland's expectations but keeping him would avoid a huge need that will likely cost our 1st in the draft. 

Let both Breeland and Robinson test the market. The draft is heavy on CB and WR. It will reflect on the offers they get which will help us if they want to come back for a bit less to stay with us 

1 hour ago, sith13 said:

Gotta remember that Wilson got $24M over 3 years so who knows what Robinson's value is. 

24 minutes ago, Balto said:

Gotta remember that Wilson got $24M over 3 years so who knows what Robinson's value is. 

How much money did Mahomes make Wilson in that last start against Denver in 2017? I think Robinson will get simiilar actually but then again Conley only got 2 years, 4.5 million. I'd keep Robinson for that even if I think he's never going to be a reliable top 3 guy. We want bigger contracts and earlier comp picks though!

45 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

a quick glance at Wilson's contract says he could very easily get cut this year as well..so much for about $10 of that mil

They sad pent a ton of money for that one touchdown this year. Save 9.5 by cutting him? That’s the way to go.

2 hours ago, sith13 said:

Nothing wrong with spending a first on a CB.  Should have higher upside than Breeland, will cost less on a rookie deal, and will be here longer.  Hanging on to vet players is the downfall of most championship teams.  Here's an interesting tidbit I heard from some talking head.  Only team to win the SB with a top five paid QB in the last ten years was the Giants with Eli and he ranked fifth in pay.  If the Chiefs are to buck that trend, they have to get younger and keep churning the roster.  Keep the top core of the team and draft well.  Breeland may be the best the Chiefs have right now, but he's not the same as HB, Kelce, Hill, or Schwartz.  He can be replaced and the Chiefs might be able to buy Harris cheaper than Breeland if they want a vet. 

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

a quick glance at Wilson's contract says he could very easily get cut this year as well..so much for about $10 of that mil

Maybe he's the guy we bring back on a cheap 1 year prove it deal. Seriously what WR out there who isn't getting the offer he thought he would on the open market, wouldn't consider doing the same to come play with Mahomes. 

18 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

Maybe he's the guy we bring back on a cheap 1 year prove it deal. Seriously what WR out there who isn't getting the offer he thought he would on the open market, wouldn't consider doing the same to come play with Mahomes. 

Hell throw TE and even OL into that too. An OL blocking for mahomes who can make the line look better is a plus for anyone looking for a prove it deal.

3 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

What would be the point?  I really don't think Wilson adds anything that we couldn't get out of a 4th or 5th round pick.  

20 minutes ago, moons314 said:

What would be the point?  I really don't think Wilson adds anything that we couldn't get out of a 4th or 5th round pick.  

He knows the system which apparently is quite complicated.   I'd be happy to do both (add Wilson if its a super cheap deal and a 4th/5th rounder).   

And if Robinson is gonna get paid close to Wilson numbers.   It's gonna shock us like the Wilson contract did.   Don't let his numbers fool you.  He blocks pretty well and is like the 4th/5th option on our team.   Whether that contract pans out for himself that is another story but someone will pay him based on those few splash games/catches he's had and believe he can do it more consistently.

11 hours ago, moons314 said:

We are going to need a veteran and a draft pick to replace Watkins/Robinson IMO.  Wilson was just an example of a guy who could be in the situation we need for.a cheap stop gap.  

12 hours ago, moons314 said:

He’s white with tons of tattoos...so he stands out and easy to market LOL

15 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

Would you keep Sammy if he only cost us $14M vs $21M?

If so, why not look at trading Watkins to Cinzy for AJ Green?  Green wants out to a contender......reports say $12-$14M a year is what he’d take.....Bengals would only be paying Watkins $14M not $21M like we are....Bengals get a 26 year WR for thier rookie QB to throw too.

13 minutes ago, Balto said:

If so, why not look at trading Watkins to Cinzy for AJ Green?  Green wants out to a contender......reports say $12-$14M a year is what he’d take.....Bengals would only be paying Watkins $14M not $21M like we are....Bengals get a 26 year WR for thier rookie QB to throw too.

Burrows already told Cincy he wants to throw to AJ.. I dont think he was kidding

2 hours ago, Balto said:

Green has missed 23 games over the past 2 seasons.  You really want to pay him 12-14m?

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

Burrows already told Cincy he wants to throw to AJ.. I dont think he was kidding

I don't think its AJ Green...I think its he wants a weapon.  I'd think he would like the idea of having a 26 year old WR vs a 31 year old WR /shrug

Just now, xen said:

Green has missed 23 games over the past 2 seasons.  You really want to pay him 12-14m?

Reports are that is is 100% healthy and was even gtg last season but decided to not come back because of contract and no chance for playoffs.

Yes I think a 3 year deal for say $40M won't hurt us long term if Green comes up limp