Tag Chris Jones

9 hours ago, Balto said:

I think multiple teams have picks+cap space to pull Jones away.  Just have to decide if we would want cap hell and resign Jones, trade him away for just picks for unproven rookies OR draft pick/s and a starter from a team.

Getting a starter from another team could mean the Chiefs are right back in cap problems.  Even one on a rookie deal would soon be wanting a contract. 

7 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Getting a starter from another team could mean the Chiefs are right back in cap problems.  Even one on a rookie deal would soon be wanting a contract. 

Not really because your talking about $20M a year for Jones vs another teams starter for at least half the cost.

On 3/4/2020 at 7:58 AM, Mloe68 said:

We are going to need a veteran and a draft pick to replace Watkins/Robinson IMO.  Wilson was just an example of a guy who could be in the situation we need for.a cheap stop gap.  

Why do we really need a veteran for that spot?  We already have a vet in Hill, Hardman will be in his second year, and Kelce will be there at TE, with those 3 being the top receiving threats heading into next year.  Pringle will be back, and likely be the third receiver, depending on the draft.  I'm just saying, for the position, I'd rather roll with Pringle and draft picks than Albert Wilson.  Dude was nothing, had one big game in Pat's first start, then got a contract off of that while never doing anything.  Yes, he knows the system, but he has no upside.  I completely disagree that we need to add a veteran to that group, unless said veteran is a guy with a record of proven results in terms of making a difference.  Signing Wilson would be a signing of familiarity as opposed to making the team better.

10 hours ago, jetlord said:

Thanks for the response.  It's good to have you back on the board in in the discussion.

I chose SEA as an example because they are probably the only team that would give up a first plus more this year.  A high second, along with a second next year, would not be a bad deal.  If Jones is retain and plays under the tag, isn't there a good chance he would be gone the following season anyway?  Unless the cap skyrockets, the Chiefs just can't afford to have so much tied up in the D-line.  At least that's how I see it. BTW: If I were a GM, I'd prefer a proven Jones over taking a chance on a highly rated draft pick. 

What's your opinion on trading down with the first pick to about #38 if the Chiefs feel they can get their CB at that point.  Seems like a no brainer unless they really are set on one certain player.  CAR may be looking for a QB at the end of the first. 

Thanks, good to talk with you all again.

The cap will be going up incrementally in addition to the normal 7% over the next several years due to the renewal of what the NFL terms as "national revenue sources." They are primarily TV and licensing contracts. ESPN's media contract is up in 2021 and the remainder of the TV deals in 2022. You're going to see a monster increase throughout that period. Reports have it 65% but would probably end up 75%. A big argument over on the Planet on it but overall it is going up for sure (Most of them think it's going to be monstrous this year but I have my doubts). As other media-related streams expire, they will see large increases (EA with Madden licensing, merchandise licenses to Nike, New Era, etc, and so forth) and most of those contracts run 3 years instead of 8 or so for the TV contracts. Overall, I'd expect to see 20-25% per year over and above the normal 7% increase because of all these renewals coming up.

In any event, there should end up being a little extra money this year once things get ironed out (some report up to $40 million bump but I'd harness expectations) and then we should see bigger jumps in 2021, 2022, 2023. Either way, it just means contracts overall are going to get more expensive. The CBA as it's drafted reportedly includes bumps for all vet minimums by $100k per year immediately. I'm not much worried about affording Jones after 2020, but how much of a discount can you get him at in year 1 and then are you willing to pay 20+ per the remainder of the deal?

It would still seem a huge risk to sign Jones now on the hopes the cap would rise enough to make him affordable down the road.  If your numbers prove out, there will be a ton of teams with tons of cap space and mandatory minimums which will cause player salaries to skyrocket.  So the Chiefs will be in the same fix unless they can convince Mahomes to sign long term early.  Guess we'll know more if the CBA is approved next week. 

Not only it's very risky but also pointless to sign Jones right now. Just tag and work out the contract once the CBA is approved. We don't need the tag for anyone else and until the CBA is set in stone a lot of things could change. 

12 hours ago, moons314 said:

Why do we really need a veteran for that spot?  We already have a vet in Hill, Hardman will be in his second year, and Kelce will be there at TE, with those 3 being the top receiving threats heading into next year.  Pringle will be back, and likely be the third receiver, depending on the draft.  I'm just saying, for the position, I'd rather roll with Pringle and draft picks than Albert Wilson.  Dude was nothing, had one big game in Pat's first start, then got a contract off of that while never doing anything.  Yes, he knows the system, but he has no upside.  I completely disagree that we need to add a veteran to that group, unless said veteran is a guy with a record of proven results in terms of making a difference.  Signing Wilson would be a signing of familiarity as opposed to making the team better.

We are losing 85 catches, 1,200  yards and 7 TDs if both Robinson and Watkins leave. I didn’t see nearly enough beyond the verticals to believe the 22 year old Hardman can be trusted to pick up slack especially underneath yet. And any injury to Kelce or Tyreek could leave offense really handicapped. This is the Super Bowl favorite, I don’t think we can afford that risk anymore than we can afford to hand backup QB role to Pat Shurmer.   

15 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

We are losing 85 catches, 1,200  yards and 7 TDs if both Robinson and Watkins leave. I didn’t see nearly enough beyond the verticals to believe the 22 year old Hardman can be trusted to pick up slack especially underneath yet. And any injury to Kelce or Tyreek could leave offense really handicapped. This is the Super Bowl favorite, I don’t think we can afford that risk anymore than we can afford to hand backup QB role to Pat Shurmer.   

Why we need another capable TE. Rather see that than keeping watkins imo.

7 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

I look at it like this.  If Kelce or Cheetah go down, Albert Wilson isn't carrying the offense catching balls.  The loss here is Watkins.  I'd rather take a chance on developing a guy that might blossom rather than bringing in an average veteran just for the experience.  I trust Hardman more than I'd trust Wilson.  

16 hours ago, moons314 said:

I look at it like this.  If Kelce or Cheetah go down, Albert Wilson isn't carrying the offense catching balls.  The loss here is Watkins.  I'd rather take a chance on developing a guy that might blossom rather than bringing in an average veteran just for the experience.  I trust Hardman more than I'd trust Wilson.  

Wilson has proven he can work underneath and has the speed to keep safeties honest. But I simply used him as an example of a value type pickup. He’s not worth any real contract but has clear value on a short term cheap deal. Could be a dozen other guys in a similar spot and I’ll bet we sign one. Marquis Goodwin is another guy to watch just off the top of my head.  

11 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

Wilson has proven he can work underneath and has the speed to keep safeties honest. But I simply used him as an example of a value type pickup. He’s not worth any real contract but has clear value on a short term cheap deal. Could be a dozen other guys in a similar spot and I’ll bet we sign one. Marquis Goodwin is another guy to watch just off the top of my head.  

Nelson Algholor...

16 hours ago, xen said:

Yeah I agree.  If Sammy goes we need another WR stat.  We have to keep feeding Mahomes more pass catchers than other teams have DBs to cover.

Yep. Do you like Goodwin? He’d be a cheap add. He flys. I think a dynamic 2nd tight end would be incredible in Andy’s offense.

21 minutes ago, Calichief said:

Yep. Do you like Goodwin? He’d be a cheap add. He flys. I think a dynamic 2nd tight end would be incredible in Andy’s offense.

NFL rumors: 49ers receiver Marquise Goodwin discussed in trade talks

49ers receiver Marquise Goodwin likely will have a new home in the fall, and has found himself in recent trade rumors. 

Kyle Shanahan said back at the NFL Scouting Combine that 49ers "don't want to release Marquise" because of his value, but clarified that Goodwin could be dealt.

"We could, yeah," Shanahan said when asked about a possible Goodwin trade. "You don’t get rid of valuable people just for nothing. So we’ll have him come back and compete. If that doesn’t work out, we could always possibly trade him. There are lots of things that are open, but I don’t have the exact answer, yet."

Now, the 29-year-old finds himself in the middle of trade discussions, as NFL Media's Ian Rapaport reported Friday: 

One name that has been discussed in trade talks: #49ers speedy WR Marquise Goodwin. The deep threat is due roughly $10M over two years, so his contract can be traded. Meanwhile, SF’s young core of WRs is emerging.

Goodwin is part of a receiving corps that Shanahan is proud of, but did say despite the wide receiver being a good addition to that group, he's "confident another team would want him." 

NBC Sports Bay Area's Dalton Johnson didn't think a change of scenery for Goodwin was out of the question. The 49ers would be able to save money, and it would give more reps to young wideouts Deebo Samuel and Kendrick Bourne, who both emerged in 2019.

Before being placed on season-ending injured reserve last season, Goodwin played in nine games and averaged 15.5 yards per reception and scored one touchdown.

His insane speed would be an asset to any team. 

21 minutes ago, Calichief said:

I think Andy can incorporate almost any kind of WR or TE.    Our TE room after Kelce is so very meh.  Would love to see that change.

On Goodwin, i would like to see us bring in a 3rd WR that's a little bigger but man o man, i think the stadium might implode with that much speed on the field at once.  The problem you might have with your top 3 WR's being small fast guys is running into a team that's great at pressing at the line, but hell i'm down to watch cheetah, jet and goodwin destroying defenses.

3 minutes ago, xen said:

I think Andy can incorporate almost any kind of WR or TE.    Our TE room after Kelce is so very meh.  Would love to see that change.

On Goodwin, i would like to see us bring in a 3rd WR that's a little bigger but man o man, i think the stadium might implode with that much speed on the field at once.  The problem you might have with your top 3 WR's being small fast guys is running into a team that's great at pressing at the line, but hell i'm down to watch cheetah, jet and goodwin destroying defenses.

Goodwin has yet to play with a legit qb. I think he’ll be cheap.

18 hours ago, moons314 said:

I agree here completely.  Plus I would like to see more of what pringle can do. He has shown some impressive flashes in his limited reps.  He had very good speed and run after the catch ability

20 minutes ago, Palangi said:

I agree here completely.  Plus I would like to see more of what pringle can do. He has shown some impressive flashes in his limited reps.  He had very good speed and run after the catch ability

I like Pringle. Given the opportunity, he played well.

One thing that is not mentioned is the capability of someone to play week 1 understanding the full playbook. I’m not saying Albert Wilson is the answer but we do know he has an understanding of the playbook. 
loosing Watkins is a big deal but it’s gonna happen. Hard man needs more playing time. I like the Pringle option. I also like the idea of bringing in a TE. 

7 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Nelson Algholor...

Algholor is dog shite. Of the names thrown around here im more on the albert wilson or marquise goodwin side. Honestly the free agent wr list is thin, maybe a team could grab randall cobb or kendrick bourne cheap, but i would draft wrs this season or wait for some camp cap casualties cuts. Maybe we could take a flier in free agency on headcase robby anderson on a 1 year deal. Keelan cole is slightly interesting also.