Tag Chris Jones

7 hours ago, jetlord said:

But that won't happen.  Kelce, Hill, Hardman, and a 3rd-5th round possession receiver along with Pringle, Williams, and a fifth wideout will give Mahomes plenty of targets.  The Packers have no lineup of receivers compared to the present day Chiefs.  If the Chiefs pick up several first or second day picks by trading Jones and trading down and an elite receiver falls to them, then go for it, but that's a luxury pick, not a necessity.   

If they actually follow their board, and they consider RB a need, then it could happen. Our offense with Hunt was nearly indefensible. It made a difference last season. Hunt got those hard yards even with a shitty set of offensive guards.

I'm not saying I think it's the best move because I don't. This RB class is so deep they can find a starter in rd 3, if not rd 4. But if JonathanTaylor or Deandre Swift is there at 32, I wont be surprised or upset if the Chiefs jump.

As long as CB, LB and IOL get addressed what difference does it make what order it happens in?

Veach overhauled and entire defense in one offseason. I'm not gonna doubt that the guy can knock out those things this offseason. I believe he's earned the benefit of the doubt from us.

4 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

As long as CB, LB and IOL get addressed what difference does it make what order it happens in?

And that's the key.  To get a RB before addressing those areas of need would be foolish.  The problem is that unless the Chiefs unload Jones, they have five total picks and very little cap space to fill those needs.  They need STARTERS at CB and LB and certainly could use major upgrades on the O-line.  Those need to come from first and second day picks.  RBs can be found in the third round or later.  Starting CBs might be found later, but the Chiefs need confidence that who they pick can contribute this season  Same with the LB and IOL positions.  No matter how dynamic the top RB could be, the Chiefs have higher priorities.   Remember that with Hunt, the Chiefs went 12-4.  Without him, with unusual heavy injuries, and an upgraded defense, they went.............um..........12-4 and won a SB. 

10 minutes ago, jetlord said:

And that's the key.  To get a RB before addressing those areas of need would be foolish.  The problem is that unless the Chiefs unload Jones, they have five total picks and very little cap space to fill those needs.  They need STARTERS at CB and LB and certainly could use major upgrades on the O-line.  Those need to come from first and second day picks.  RBs can be found in the third round or later.  Starting CBs might be found later, but the Chiefs need confidence that who they pick can contribute this season  Same with the LB and IOL positions.  No matter how dynamic the top RB could be, the Chiefs have higher priorities.   Remember that with Hunt, the Chiefs went 12-4.  Without him, with unusual heavy injuries, and an upgraded defense, they went.............um..........12-4 and won a SB. 

Yes. They did. With probably the worst LB corps in the NFL. And with a 6th rounder and an UDFA as a starting and nickel corner.

They may not have higher priorities. What you are talking about is YOUR priorities for the team. You're priorities may not align with Veach and Reids. They may think that keeping our offense at the top of the league is the priority. 

I think that those positions should be prioritized over RB as well. But I'm not part of an NFL front office. And if the Chiefs go RB, CB, IOL, LB in that order rd 1-4, my head is not going to explode like yours. Because I have faith in the GM that......um......just assembled a SB winning roster.

1 minute ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Yes. They did. With probably the worst LB corps in the NFL. And with a 6th rounder and an UDFA as a starting and nickel corner.

They may not have higher priorities. What you are talking about is YOUR priorities for the team. You're priorities may not align with Veach and Reids. They may think that keeping our offense at the top of the league is the priority. 

I think that those positions should be prioritized over RB as well. But I'm not part of an NFL front office. And if the Chiefs go RB, CB, IOL, LB in that order rd 1-4, my head is not going to explode like yours. Because I have faith in the GM that......um......just assembled a SB winning roster.

It's all good.  None of us know what the Chiefs will actually do on draft day although I'm betting on a CB if they don't have to reach for one.  Probably the draft positions will change with trades and moves so our mocks aren't even close.  Either way, my head has survived many explosions and probably will survive the next one. 

15 hours ago, jetlord said:

But that won't happen.  Kelce, Hill, Hardman, and a 3rd-5th round possession receiver along with Pringle, Williams, and a fifth wideout will give Mahomes plenty of targets.  The Packers have no lineup of receivers compared to the present day Chiefs.  If the Chiefs pick up several first or second day picks by trading Jones and trading down and an elite receiver falls to them, then go for it, but that's a luxury pick, not a necessity.   

That’s probably why the Packers haven’t been to a SB in 9 years. They may have had the most talented QB in the history of the league, and wanted it. They are the example of what not to do in my opinion.

1 hour ago, DieHard said:

That’s probably why the Packers haven’t been to a SB in 9 years. They may have had the most talented QB in the history of the league, and wanted it. They are the example of what not to do in my opinion.

Yep.  First keep Mahomes loaded up with talent.   With Mahomes' vision we need to be able to overwhelm nickel and dime corners and the more mismatches the better.

But honestly I'm ok with a WR wherever in this draft.  Never seen a WR group this deep.  Like ever.  

2 hours ago, DieHard said:

...and the last time the Patriots drafted a RB or WR in the first round was 2006 until last season.  Look how they did in the last playoffs.  😉

3 minutes ago, jetlord said:

...and the last time the Patriots drafted a RB or WR in the first round was 2006 until last season.  Look how they did in the last playoffs.  😉

They also use free agency for their corners not the draft.  So I guess no dressing corner 1st round either

4 minutes ago, jetlord said:

And it's hard to compare Brady at the end of his career with mahomes who is just getting started. 

Plus the Patriots went heavy after running back early for Brady

Corey Dillon

Lagarret Blount

Lawrence Mahoney

Steven Ridley

4 minutes ago, Palangi said:

They also use free agency for their corners not the draft.  So I guess no dressing corner 1st round either

..except for Jones, McCourty, Chung, and Meriweather in that time period.  I think two were listed as CBs and the other two as DBs.   All first picks. 

28 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Last year, but I get your point. They do go after FA WRs though. And they drafted Gronk and Hernandez in the same draft.

Just now, DieHard said:

Last year, but I get your point. They do go after FA WRs though. And they drafted Gronk and Hernandez in the same draft.

Yep.  And they've had to get creative due to some extremely shitty WR drafting.  That's led to some overpays like a 2nd for Sanu.

I'm not saying that having another target for Mahomes is a bad idea.  The point is that having a third round WR instead of a first and instead drafting IOL, CB, and LB will make for better odds of repeating.  Another stud WR isn't going to help if Mahomes isn't protected and putting up 51 points won't help if the defense can't get off the field.  We all love to see the Mahomes offensive machine at work, but we want more to see victories.  The Chiefs had a historically good offense two years ago but couldn't lock down the other team.  Last year was a different story.  Would Mahomes comeback in the SB have been possible with the previous defense?  No way.  Now some are leaving via FA.  We don't need a repeat of 2018. 

2 hours ago, ChiefThunder said:

Can't compare the Patriots to us.....they're defensive-minded and we're offensive-minded.

I think we trade out of the first, or we draft WR or RB. 

And the Pats won by having solid defense and a MVP QB along with an O-line and a few targets. 

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

I'm not saying that having another target for Mahomes is a bad idea.  The point is that having a third round WR instead of a first and instead drafting IOL, CB, and LB will make for better odds of repeating.  Another stud WR isn't going to help if Mahomes isn't protected and putting up 51 points won't help if the defense can't get off the field.  We all love to see the Mahomes offensive machine at work, but we want more to see victories.  The Chiefs had a historically good offense two years ago but couldn't lock down the other team.  Last year was a different story.  Would Mahomes comeback in the SB have been possible with the previous defense?  No way.  Now some are leaving via FA.  We don't need a repeat of 2018. 

Resign wisnewski and rankins comes back 2 out of the 3 IOL is fixed

Both Hitchens and Wilson are coming back. A rookie is not playing over either.  They seem to like Neimann too

Ward will be a starter,  Fenton willl be a starter either outside or nickel.  Alex brown will be depth.  

We don't know about some of the young guys and what the coaches think of them from practice.  Guys like LB Darrius Harris and LB Emmanuel Smith. Harris was put on IR to protect.  There has been good talk of Allegretti all season too. Do they see him as a starting center? 

Either way if RB is a position you can get later  in the draft IOL definitely is too, as is LB. 

I can't argue corner,  and if they went corner first round I wouldn't be upset.  

3 minutes ago, Palangi said:

Resign wisnewski and rankins comes back 2 out of the 3 IOL is fixed

Both Hitchens and Wilson are coming back. A rookie is not playing over either.  They seem to like Neimann too

Ward will be a starter,  Fenton willl be a starter either outside or nickel.  Alex brown will be depth.  

We don't know about some of the young guys and what the coaches think of them from practice.  Guys like LB Darrius Harris and LB Emmanuel Smith. Harris was put on IR to protect.  There has been good talk of Allegretti all season too. Do they see him as a starting center? 

Either way if RB is a position you can get later  in the draft IOL definitely is too, as is LB. 

I can't argue corner,  and if they went corner first round I wouldn't be upset.  

IOL isn't coming from the first round either unless the Chiefs would have to really reach for CB or LB.  There's enough bodies at every position, but that's not who the Chiefs need to start.  It's like saying Hill, Hardman, Pringle, Kemp, and Deiter gives the Chiefs enough wide outs.  The Chiefs need a cover LB who will be playing a lot and will replace Hitchens at the least when Hitchens is gone the following season.  No way will the team enter the season with Ward and Fenton as the only corners.  They can find a starter among the top seven on the draft board.  There will be several plug and play OG or OC on the second day.  

19 minutes ago, jetlord said:

IOL isn't coming from the first round either unless the Chiefs would have to really reach for CB or LB.  There's enough bodies at every position, but that's not who the Chiefs need to start.  It's like saying Hill, Hardman, Pringle, Kemp, and Deiter gives the Chiefs enough wide outs.  The Chiefs need a cover LB who will be playing a lot and will replace Hitchens at the least when Hitchens is gone the following season.  No way will the team enter the season with Ward and Fenton as the only corners.  They can find a starter among the top seven on the draft board.  There will be several plug and play OG or OC on the second day.  

I've always thought O'Daniel has shown promise when given the chance as a coverage LB.